• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Dayle Garlett

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

I doubt a club would select him in the PSD if they passed him up in the National Draft. Rookie draft would make sense if he's able to convince a club to roll the dice.

CarrotTop ... What about my 'one-strike policy' rookie list suggestion? Bring him in entirely on our terms and boot him if he stuffs up even once.

If he does something dumb, it's all on him. If he makes a go of it, the club comes out smelling roses and we have a seriously good player on our hands.

I just think we've got to be careful not to hang, draw and quarter what is essentially an 18yo boy before he's even had a chance to redeem himself.

I'm completely against bringing in a player that you even suspect needs to be read the riot act before hand. I'm also not interested in bringing in someone that has to have a different set of rules then the rest.

As someone eloquently put it earlier in the thread: wrong club, wrong coach, wrong time. A big red line was put through his name a while back, and that isn't going to change.

Read him the riot act, put him on a one-strike rule and then leave it up to him. One stuff up and he's out.

How does that hurt the club?

Because when he makes his one stuff-up, we've got one fewer players on the list than all the other clubs.

CarrotTop ... What about my 'one-strike policy' rookie list suggestion? Bring him in entirely on our terms and boot him if he stuffs up even once.

If he does something dumb, it's all on him. If he makes a go of it, the club comes out smelling roses and we have a seriously good player on our hands.

I just think we've got to be careful not to hang, draw and quarter what is essentially an 18yo boy before he's even had a chance to redeem himself.

I I was trying to find your original plan when you summarised here.

I must say there is some appeal - sure there is a big risk, but could it also be a big test for Neeld's iron fist approach: can he convert what appears to be a massive richard-head to a footballer?

IF it turned out well, it would be a big feather (maybe a whole ostrich, or probably emu I guess) in his cap. Coming around to your way of thinking. Couldn't be any worse than many of our recent far higher selections.

But it would have to be as strict as you suggest: ONE false move, or any slackness in training for whatever reasons - OUT.

Edited by monoccular

Unbelievably, I find myself agreeing with Tonatopia on this topic. People are writing this young boy off as though he's already had umpteen chances a la Fev, Cousins etc ... It's ridiculous.

Read him the riot act, put him on a one-strike rule and then leave it up to him. One stuff up and he's out.

How does that hurt the club?

If taking such a "risk" means we have the next Cyril Rioli on our hands (quite possible given his talent) I don't think we are in a position as a club to knock back that kind of talent.

If we were a club with a strong culture like a Sydney or Geelong then he might be worth the risk, but given what our culture has been like, and the lengths we're going to, to turn that all around then the last thing we need is to be rolling the dice on someone like Garlett who could be toxic to the club and a bad influence on some of our other young players like Kent, Barry, Hogan etc...

This isn't the time for us to be taking a risk like this. Once we've won a premiership and have the strongest leadership group and palying culture in the land, then we can re-look at drafting someone like Garlett.

Stuff up by all clubs.

Good get by Essendon, I hope Garlett carves it up and sticks it up all these modern day experts who write a young kid off for just being a kid.

Didn't realise Essendon took him in the national draft, I thought all clubs passed on him......

Just cause he's training with them doesn't mean they're going to take him in the rookie draft, they're under no obligation. He may be extremely lazy on the track, or after getting to know him a bit more the Bombers coaches may think he isn't worth the risk.

He could be the next Cyril Rioli, or he could also be a wasted talent like Lovett or Sampi.

I think he needs to move to either Adelaide or Melbourne, spend a year or two working hard and playing in the SANFL or VFL and then a club may be more willing to draft him if they can see him working hard to turn things around.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Tall Defence

Thanks for removing my post .

Too 'risky' was it?

[censored].

I think he needs to move to either Adelaide or Melbourne, spend a year or two working hard and playing in the SANFL or VFL and then a club may be more willing to draft him if they can see him working hard to turn things around.

Edit: Spelling

I think you are right, he has too many cheer leaders in WA.

It still seems too ridiculous to me posting "cooked" and Bourbon & durry photo's, some of the other recent footage I've seen of him he looks as fit as a butchers dog. Are we witnessing the greatest ever draft swindle?

Just to state the bleeting obvious.

If GWS and GC pass on him, we have the chance to secure one of the most naturally talented and gifted young footballers in the country.

He is still a kid, smoking, drinking, drugs sex and rock'n'roll. Who cares, he is only 18.

Now it is his time to knuckle down and become a football freakshow.

Lets give him the opportunity to succeed. He is a natural. and there are not too many around.

If Essendon grab him, and turn him into a champion, which will bring an additional 5000 people thru the gates everyweek, then how stupid are we.

As with Darling,

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

However, speaking at the club's training camp on the Gold Coast, Hird said the Bombers would give Garlett an opportunity next week.

"I've never met Dayle, but I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes," Hird said.

"With someone like Dayle, no doubt there's a lot of talent there and the way he plays his football excites everyone.

"We've just got to figure out whether someone like Dayle fits our group. You make decisions on players about the way they play, but also how they fit in your group, so we'll be pretty keen to assess how he adjusts in that week."

Exactly bloody right. If we don't select Garlett, it seems Hird has more common sense than our whole FD put together. Remember, we can delist him at any moment. 1day if we have too.

I can see it happening, he will be a friggin star.

Let a more mature Sylvia nuture him, and show him what he can and cant get away with. Sylvia knows the tricks by now. Garlett will not be Grimes, but if he can hold it together like Sylvia, I will be pleased.

• Like 1

Different to Darling though as Garlett must be a real peice of work for every club to pass.

In saying that though IF he can adapt to the high class culture we are trying to establish then of course he will be a top class aquisition.

Honestly I want us to take him just to stuff Essendon's plans. That's just me though. Sometimes bitter and spiteful lol

• Like 1

I had a post deleted too.

Why don't those who want Garlett click the link above in 'Good Times'' post and come to a conclusion over his suitablility for the MFC.

Thems just be reallly wide pupils to make him see the football better, I don't think there's anything suss behind it. Lol ok didn't know he was into that kind of stuff.

Disregard my last post, don't want this guy anywhere near our team. Not at this crucial stage anyway. Culture sore!

Neeld's trying to develop a solid culture. Somebody who posts pictures of himself drinking and smoking the night before a draft, and then posts another picture of himself "cooked" after telling people he is going to get serious is not somebody that will help develop the solid culture Neeld is striving to create.

Talk about it all you want, but as much as you may think he would be a good pick up, there is a 0% chance that we will take him.

• Like 2

However, speaking at the club's training camp on the Gold Coast, Hird said the Bombers would give Garlett an opportunity next week.

"I've never met Dayle, but I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes," Hird said.

"With someone like Dayle, no doubt there's a lot of talent there and the way he plays his football excites everyone.

"We've just got to figure out whether someone like Dayle fits our group. You make decisions on players about the way they play, but also how they fit in your group, so we'll be pretty keen to assess how he adjusts in that week."

Exactly bloody right. If we don't select Garlett, it seems Hird has more common sense than our whole FD put together. Remember, we can delist him at any moment. 1day if we have too.

I can see it happening, he will be a friggin star.

Let a more mature Sylvia nuture him, and show him what he can and cant get away with. Sylvia knows the tricks by now. Garlett will not be Grimes, but if he can hold it together like Sylvia, I will be pleased.

Just to state the bleeting obvious.

If GWS and GC pass on him, we have the chance to secure one of the most naturally talented and gifted young footballers in the country.

He is still a kid, smoking, drinking, drugs sex and rock'n'roll. Who cares, he is only 18.

Now it is his time to knuckle down and become a football freakshow.

Lets give him the opportunity to succeed. He is a natural. and there are not too many around.

If Essendon grab him, and turn him into a champion, which will bring an additional 5000 people thru the gates everyweek, then how stupid are we.

As with Darling,

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Sorry Tonatopia but they do not compare, Darling got a wristy (so to speak) in a tent at school camp and was suspended. Second high profile event was getting king hit in the back of the head. In regards to his footy he was always a big unit as a kid and stood out. When he went to WAFL he struggled against men, hence why he dropped down the draft order as there was concern he could transform schoolboy promise to the next level. Comparing Garlett to Darling is like comparing apples & oranges

Sorry Tonatopia but they do not compare, Darling got a wristy (so to speak) in a tent at school camp and was suspended. Second high profile event was getting king hit in the back of the head. In regards to his footy he was always a big unit as a kid and stood out. When he went to WAFL he struggled against men, hence why he dropped down the draft order as there was concern he could transform schoolboy promise to the next level. Comparing Garlett to Darling is like comparing apples & oranges

Yeah right, selecting Cook over Darling was genius.

Yep, culture over football ability.

This club is like a bloody pendulum, soft then hard, youth then experience, flair then trooper.

We need to be balanced, sugar and spice.

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

So Bomber Thompson with his pathetic two flags at Geelong and Hird with his stinking premeirships and forgettable Brownlow medal reckon Garlett's worth a look at but us superstar, perennially challenging Demons shouldn't give him the time of day?

Get real people.