• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

FAREWELL CALE MORTON

stuie

agreed, wasnt he drafted or play junior footy as a forward? anyone think there is hope for him to become a forward?

forwards nowadays have to be prepared to apply pressure, which apparently was what kept his bro out of the Swans' lineup for so long despite big goal hauls in the 2s. I doubt if Cale could or would do that but extraordinarily happy for him to be OUR GF surprise packet :-)?(

I'd rather keep Cale, as I doubt we'd get a worthwhile return for him, but I think he's still a chance to make it.

I think Neeld's style of coaching is exactly what he has always needed, but it'll be a while before we see any results.

I know many won't agree.

We'll see.

We won't get a worthwhile return if we keep him either...

Very bad news for us keyboard heroes.

Advertisers on D'land are also worried about the lack of views they'll get if we don't have someone to come here and whinge about.

Telstra / Optus / whoever will lose inome from less internet traffic.

Watts is looking very nervous as the potential next deer in the headlights, which will be bad for his development and confidence.

Let's face it - Melbourne losing Cale would be very bad for business.

• Like 1

Watched Cale closely this year and he was clearly making an effort to up his contested football, but it was to no avail. He is almost irreversibly soft, and as much as he might try to get involved and get under a few packs, which he did try to do, it will take a better club than the MFC to turn him around. This isn't really a knock on Cale the person, as most of us mere mortals aren't cut out for it, but it is a knock on Cale the AFL footballer, and unless you are sublimely skilled and lightning quick, you can't survive at this level with his 'softness'.

Put out the press release that he is seeking a new home to make it look like we are still keen on him, and then cut the rope and take what we can get. Sorry if that seems harsh, but that is the way I see his career.

• Like 6

Watched Cale closely this year and he was clearly making an effort to up his contested football, but it was to no avail. He is almost irreversibly soft, and as much as he might try to get involved and get under a few packs, which he did try to do, it will take a better club than the MFC to turn him around. This isn't really a knock on Cale the person, as most of us mere mortals aren't cut out for it, but it is a knock on Cale the AFL footballer, and unless you are sublimely skilled and lightning quick, you can't survive at this level with his 'softness'.

Put out the press release that he is seeking a new home to make it look like we are still keen on him, and then cut the rope and take what we can get. Sorry if that seems harsh, but that is the way I see his career.

I think you have nailed it there Forest.

After watching the Grand Final, you have to wonder where a player like Cale would fit in a game of that intensity and physicality.

Whoever at the MFC tried to predict the future of football would be tall, rangy athletic types, clearly got it wrong.

Edited by Jerry Lundergard
  • Like 1

Comparing his 2008 with his recent form is terrifying.

He came in to the side and was allowed to play a free wheeling style of game with no accountability and no pressure on his spot in the team so he got games when he probably shouldn't. On the other hand he got plenty of possessions so it looked like he was performing well when he really needed to do more.

Different style of game now and his lack of accountability and inability to develop his frame have put his career on hold but you can see when he plays that he's really having a go he just doesn't have the physic to do what's required and his confidence has taken a huge hit.

Put him in the forward line let him kick some goals let him get some confidence and see how he goes.

• Like 3

Well put. Cale just is not an instinctive contested type of player; he might put in a one off "backing into a pack mark", but it is just not instinctive contest after contest.

After watching the Grand Final, you have to wonder where a player like Cale would fit in a game of that intensity and physicality.

Xavier Ellis is a similar type of player for mine. Hawks gave up a very early pick 4? for him as well. For all of Hawthorns drafting successes, they sure have made some howlers.

Put him in the forward line let him kick some goals let him get some confidence and see how he goes.

Instead of who? As a what - crumbing small tall?

Well put. Cale just is not an instinctive contested type of player; he might put in a one off "backing into a pack mark", but it is just not instinctive contest after contest.

Xavier Ellis is a similar type of player for mine. Hawks gave up a very early pick 4? for him as well. For all of Hawthorns drafting successes, they sure have made some howlers.

Instead of who? As a what - crumbing small tall?

Green.

he wouldn't be a great loss, he's been on our list for 3-4 years and is as skinny as he ever was! If there was any time that he could've cemented a place in our team it was this year and he couldn't even get a game! surely he's gone

Forest this kind of articulates how I feel about Cale. You've really hit the nail on the head for me with you comments. Some of us are up for it and some of us aren't. Part of me thinks we should allow him to see his contract out but the other part of me would like to cut our losses and take a punt on a VFL player who can fill a hole.

• Like 1

I am very happy to hear and see this.

If Cale wants i will pack his locker for him and arrange the flight or bus to where ever he goes.

Thank you Cale for a complete waste of a top 5 draft pick.

In all your years at the club you put on next to no bulk and showed the workrate of a peanut.

Whoever he goes to, i apologize in advance.

• Like 2

I am very happy to hear and see this.

If Cale wants i will pack his locker for him and arrange the flight or bus to where ever he goes.

Thank you Cale for a complete waste of a top 5 draft pick.

In all your years at the club you put on next to no bulk and showed the workrate of a peanut.

Whoever he goes to, i apologize in advance.

This post says more a out the type of person you are than it does Cale.

Hero.

• Like 4

I would like to see him up forward, as some have mentioned. He kicked 3 in a quarter against a dominant Geelong backline a few years back IIRC. He is actually quite good overhead and is a good long kick. Makes sense.

Forest this kind of articulates how I feel about Cale. You've really hit the nail on the head for me with you comments. Some of us are up for it and some of us aren't. Part of me thinks we should allow him to see his contract out but the other part of me would like to cut our losses and take a punt on a VFL player who can fill a hole.

Lets see if we can set him up in a win/win, re a trade to us.

Maybe part of the Caddy deal or maybe sid knee could do something with him.

it's a pity. Some do support him and his type of player. Averaged 18 possessions in his 8 games this year - was fifth on our list at the time. We've got so little run and carry. Sydney had Lewis Jetta etc. running. I didn't see him crash and bashing, everyone. Football is so much more multi tasking and multi skilled than so many on this forum think. Neelds monochrome Collingwood coaching vision seems to have overlooked their team is full of hard running Pendelbury, Beames, Sidebottom, Thomas, Swan types. I've seen nothing at our club that suggests he's got anything that will take us higher than about 10th in 5 years.

We seem to be losing Moloney, Sylvia, Rivers, Gysberts, Green, Jurrah. (Cook Morton) this year. Something's not right.

it's a pity. Some do support him and his type of player. Averaged 18 possessions in his 8 games this year - was fifth on our list at the time. We've got so little run and carry. Sydney had Lewis Jetta etc. running. I didn't see him crash and bashing, everyone. Football is so much more multi tasking and multi skilled than so many on this forum think. Neelds monochrome Collingwood coaching vision seems to have overlooked their team is full of hard running Pendelbury, Beames, Sidebottom, Thomas, Swan types. I've seen nothing at our club that suggests he's got anything that will take us higher than about 10th in 5 years.

We seem to be losing Moloney, Sylvia, Rivers, Gysberts, Green, Jurrah. (Cook Morton) this year. Something's not right.

Thanks for the lolz.

It's good to know someone is willing to provide laughs in these tense times of a draftin'

:)

Apart from discussion on trade week radio that Morton should look elsewhere by Barrett, it's been all hot air. People should take the time to realise the comments they have made on Cale in this thread. A player that is contracted at our club.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...