I just dont get it

nutbean

I have watched these boards go into meltdown for the last 4-5 years...

"Why do we always draft kids that we have to wait to see the best of"

"Why can't we draft anyone thats ready to go".

Ï'm sick of being on a development curve"

We have been let down by our lack of leadership for many years

We have been let down by our mid/older players who have not provided guidance, leadership or backbone for our kids.

Moloney gone, Green gone, Rivers probably gone, Davey and Sylvia dropped this year - what does this tell you about our past leaders at the club ?

So Neeld comes in and lands us a premiership small forward/mid fielder who is ready to go, a premiership CHF who is ready to go and will straighten us up ( and apparently reeks leadership and work ethic which we have sorely been missing) and is looking to bring in more ready to go players and some posters are upset that we are trading away our draft picks ? I think Hogan could be a beauty but he is 17 - dont expect too much too early ( Jonno Patton - the next big thing - how was his first year ?). Viney looks he will be a man child from day one but that is an exception.

Whether this strategy works and falls flat I say - more power to you Mr Neeld - you will not die wondering and have my full support !

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 33

The reality bus is with us. We cannot have another year at the bottom, It's simple. We will be a basket case if that happens. We need to get competitive and quickly.

Neeld has clearly decided the cattle he has contains glaring weaknesses. And there was no senior leadership at the club. He wasn't going to get stuck with someone else's list. Might as well get shot for his own list that he has control over and who will do what he wants. For that I applaud him.

Free agency means we have an opportunity to dramatically reshape our list in a way that was not available previously. Its not quite North Melbourne circa 1975 but it has similarities.

We wil be a dramatically different team in 2013 and that is a good thing. Whether that means we will pay for it in 4 years time because we lack young talent coming through is something I can live with now. I can't do another year like 2012. I'd give it away I reckon.

• Like 7

Agreed.

And for those of you concerned about what may happen in 4 years time because of this draft don't be too worried. Trenners and Watts will only be 25 and Viney 22 and they'll all have learned how to lead the new blokes coming through.

Well done Demons. Great job to date.

I am impressed with October so far. Pick 20 may be seen as to high for Dawes, but as i have said this year we had to pay "overs" to get the ball rolling.

Pick 20 is what we had to deal with. We used it on a big forward. Something we have been SCREAMING out for.

It's done.

If Dawes kicks 40 goals and gives 20 away....

Win.

• Like 1

Agreed.

And for those of you concerned about what may happen in 4 years time because of this draft don't be too worried. Trenners and Watts will only be 25 and Viney 22 and they'll all have learned how to lead the new blokes coming through.

Well done Demons. Great job to date.

Not to mention Jack Grimes, who likely will be our sole captain (with 5 years under his belt in the role) by that time.
  • Like 1

I am impressed with October so far. Pick 20 may be seen as to high for Dawes, but as i have said this year we had to pay "overs" to get the ball rolling.

Pick 20 is what we had to deal with. We used it on a big forward. Something we have been SCREAMING out for.

It's done.

If Dawes kicks 40 goals and gives 20 away....

Win.

And if he helps change the culture and win games, an even greater win. As a bonus maybe we will have fewer Caddy's who don't even want to talk to us.

And if he helps change the culture and win games, an even greater win. As a bonus maybe we will have fewer Caddy's who don't even want to talk to us.

and next year we will be able to deal easier. The ball is rolling now.

Not to mention Jack Grimes, who likely will be our sole captain (with 5 years under his belt in the role) by that time.

Dont forget GWS's 25 first round picks starting to blossom around that time.

Good decade ahead

Agree I think next year these signings make us an even more attractive for prospective players who want to be on an up and coming list....

you got it. We have built a base for the coaches to work with.

Look at the dogs.....very quiet.

Neeld sure can trade. I'm sure he is not finished yet. We will surely get something for rivers, Morton, Martin and petered (if they decide to trade him).

Now I am looking forward to see if neeld can actually coach!

One thing is evident, we won't die wondering, and that is another way of saying, "no more excuses"!

I can now see neelds vision. Centre the ball from the wings thru a big strong target, and have hard tough ball catheters at his feet winning the hard crumb and then kicking long to Clarke.

Carn the demons!

Something I particularly like about all this aggressive (and mature age) recruiting is that Neeld is giving himself no excuses or dark spaces to crawl into.

He is putting himself in a position where if this team is not performing well by the end of his initial contract, he'll be let go. He knows it, he's ok with it. In perhaps the only way a coach really can, he is demonstrating a willingness to be held to the elite standaes that he is expecting from his players.

• Like 3

I have watched these boards go into meltdown for the last 4-5 years...

"Why do we always draft kids that we have to wait to see the best of"

"Why can't we draft anyone thats ready to go".

Ï'm sick of being on a development curve"

We have been let down by our lack of leadership for many years

We have been let down by our mid/older players who have not provided guidance, leadership or backbone for our kids.

Moloney gone, Green gone, Rivers probably gone, Davey and Sylvia dropped this year - what does this tell you about our past leaders at the club ?

So Neeld comes in and lands us a premiership small forward/mid fielder who is ready to go, a premiership CHF who is ready to go and will straighten us up ( and apparently reeks leadership and work ethic which we have sorely been missing) and is looking to bring in more ready to go players and some posters are upset that we are trading away our draft picks ? I think Hogan could be a beauty but he is 17 - dont expect too much to early ( Jonno Patton - the next big thing - how was his first year ?). Viney looks he will be a man child from day one but that is an exception.

Whether this strategy works and falls flat I say - more power to you Mr Neeld - you will not die wondering and have my full support !

well said

Neeld sure can trade. I'm sure he is not finished yet. We will surely get something for rivers, Morton, Martin and petered (if they decide to trade him).

Now I am looking forward to see if neeld can actually coach!

One thing is evident, we won't die wondering, and that is another way of saying, "no more excuses"!

I can now see neelds vision. Centre the ball from the wings thru a big strong target, and have hard tough ball catheters at his feet winning the hard crumb and then kicking long to Clarke.

Carn the demons!

Hey Tona the off season is doing you wonders! A positive post great to see!

Glad you can see the vision.

Go dees!

• Like 3

I like that BF and pies supporters all are torching us. How long has it been since we got flamed because we are envied?

That is what this is. People like the MFC being down, they are used to that and kicking us.

Now we are getting good players and its easy to say we are paying overs but I think they do know we now are arming ourselves to not be the easy points next season. They don't like it.

Big club supporters don't like smaller clubs that winning anything they aren't supposed to.

Go dees!!!

• Like 2

I like that BF and pies supporters all are torching us. How long has it been since we got flamed because we are envied?

That is what this is. People like the MFC being down, they are used to that and kicking us.

Now we are getting good players and its easy to say we are paying overs but I think they do know we now are arming ourselves to not be the easy points next season. They don't like it.

Big club supporters don't like smaller clubs that winning anything they aren't supposed to.

Go dees!!!

Text msg from my collingwood mate yesterday ' im giving you [censored] now because in 2 years you will be a powerhouse' my response 'suck my dick'

• Like 2

The reality bus is with us. We cannot have another year at the bottom, It's simple. We will be a basket case if that happens. We need to get competitive and quickly.

Neeld has clearly decided the cattle he has contains glaring weaknesses. And there was no senior leadership at the club. He wasn't going to get stuck with someone else's list. Might as well get shot for his own list that he has control over and who will do what he wants. For that I applaud him.

Free agency means we have an opportunity to dramatically reshape our list in a way that was not available previously. Its not quite North Melbourne circa 1975 but it has similarities.

We wil be a dramatically different team in 2013 and that is a good thing. Whether that means we will pay for it in 4 years time because we lack young talent coming through is something I can live with now. I can't do another year like 2012. I'd give it away I reckon.

I agree with what you are saying but the fact is we still land 2 top 10 talents! Viney and more then likely Wines... so we will have talent coming through... the bonus is they will not want to leave our club. They will play for the jumper, play for the club. Want to help this team rebuild! I'm getting excited!

I cant see the problem with any of what we have done. Maybe the exchange of second rounders for dawes on top of 20 would have been good to hold onto - but seriously - its a small over to give away to get some structure.

We have Viney, pick #4 (mid), Hogan, Barry as draftees locked in. That's two top five mids, a second / third rounder outside running mid / flanker and a KPF for the future. On top of that we MAY have a few picks here or there for players we move on. Then we have added Dawes and Byrnes for a bit of experience and we may add one more. It strikes me as a good balance between the now and the future.

One thing I wish we did get done was to trade a late pick for Byrnes. That way we would not have affected our compo for Moloney. Geelong have no room on their list so the pick we would have traded would have been useless anyway - particularly when you consider they will likely get Rivers and wont get any compo for Brynes anyway.