Our new Forward Line

Yeats8

I can't see JW as a key forward.

To me, he's a bigger James Hird, or a smaller Adam Goodes. Mobile, and dangerous any time he's near the footy.

If you are suggesting that he (JW) play a bit on ball, a "ruck-rover" type should they still exist, I like it. Quick, reads well, great disposal. Otherwise I see his as an attacking HBF on whom the opposition will need to use an accountable forward, and / or a winger.

Looking forward to him delivering it to maybe

HOWE PEDERSEN/DAWES/GUMBY/HOGAN2014 SYLVIA/BLEASE/TAPSCOTT

BYRNES CLARK DAVEY/JETTA

PS:Being super optimistic - after all it is pre preseason - maybe we should throw Williams into the mix as well, which makes me even less keen to get all of Pedersen, Dawes and Gumby, of course dependent on the price. Certainly one, maybe tow, but certainly not all three unless they are given away.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

Jack will have his spot on the wing or half back. Has all the assets to play the wing really, really well and in addition he is 196cm and 95kg - imagine trying to match up on him. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Watts is a prototype outside mid.

I agree completely and Stefan Martin on the other wing both quick and clever at ball play

• Like 1

The thing I like about 2013 is that given a relatively normal run of injuries, young and 2nd tier players will have to train very well and string a number of good games together at Casey to get a run, and so called first tier players will be under pressure to keep thier spots.

When you bring in 3-5 players that are expected to play senior footy from the outset, that can have a dramatic effect on the state of the list.

Edited by dandeeman
  • Like 3

Yeah that team looks a lot better! The only problem about thinking we will have immediate improvement is that bringing in all these new players it will probably take them 1/2 to 1 year to get used to the Neelds game plan. But certainly there will be improvement next year no doubt. But don't get carried away.

I'm just happy that we are now getting the people we want, instead of missing out to big brown visy paper bags.

Im happy that these players are electing melbourne as their club of choice.

we are heading in the right direction.

good job neild and co

• Like 2

FF. Pederson Clark Byrne

HF Sylvia Dawes Howe

The problem is what will the final make up of the midfield to get the ball down to these guys

Edited by Chippy

Can't see Pederson forcing his way into the 22 yet.

I can. And Neeld has already publicly stated that he won't be bringing mature players in as depth, he'll be bringing them across to play in the 22. Why would Pedersen choose Melbourne if he was expecting to play at Casey ? The reason he's leaving North is because he's not getting a game.

I like him as a player and expect him to be a regular.

• Like 2

I would now like to see Watts become one of, or, the best rebounding HBF in the game. It's an important spot, one we need filled and it matches with his skills set.

• Like 1

FB: Garland, Frawley, Nicholson (Rivers)

HB: Watts, Mcdonald, Dunn

C: Trengove, Jones, Blease(Ray)

HF: Sylvia, Dawes, Howe

FF: Byrnes, Clark, Pederson

R: Jamar, Mckenzie, Grimes

Int: Viney, Tapscott, Draft pick

Looks like we have the 'solid core' of players that Mark Neeld keeps talking about, the forward line will look a lot more potent and difficult to match up on with the three talls down there. If one of them go down doesn't leave us stranded like last year with no one to replace Clark except Rivers. This will help add consistency to our side.

Backline: Frawley will take the no.1 KPF, McDonald no. 2, depending on match ups may have to play Sellar as the third tall. Watts will take over the Rivers role he has played previously to this year as the third man up and be able to provide very useful run and carry out of our back line with dunn, both very good and accurate kicks. Garland will take the small forward.

Now with this draft and hopefully development we will have more midfield depth with a core group of: Jones, Trengove, Grimes, Howe, Sylvia, Viney, Blease, Byrnes if we pick up Ray he will add more depth. We just need to see proper development to these players who hopefully similar to Jones this year will take the next step forward.

Placing pressure on our midfielders hopefully will include: Taggert, Tynan, Bail, Gysberts (if he stays), Morton (big question mark still showed glimpses when he went into the midfield but needs size and confidence), Strauss

Hopefully with the addition of Dawes and Pederson for the right price we will have a settled team who can further get used to Neeld's structures and hopefully provide more excitement and put a few more wins on the board!

• Like 4

I'll tell you one thing... Sylvia will dominate if he's copping the fourth or fifth defender...

Good one - I hope he realises that he has a huge opportunity to become an 'elite' player with increasing talent around him.

Colin? Anything to say, mate?

Fairly flexible list when you look at where these players played throughout the year.

B Rivers Frawley Garland

HB Watts McDonald Nicholson

C Blease Viney Grimes

HF Sylvia Dawes Trengove

FF Davey Clark Howe

R McKenzie Jones Jamar

INT Burns Bail Tapscott

SUB Gysberts

EMG Pederson Seller Bennell Jetta Taggart Dunn

It looked pretty good at the start of 2012 too, but maybe they ran out of legs in 4th quarters and neede to adjust to a new way of playing under a new football department. Hopefuly all of them get a full pre-season and another 20+ games into them and it'll be a pretty competitive list in 2014 with Hogan added to the foward line.

Edited by _H_
  • Like 1

Saw someone post a team with Matt Thomas on a back pocket in the page before. Not much to do with our team, but saw him at the gym i go to today. Not overly big up top, but jeez he's got some decent sized legs on him, particularly his hamstrings (which are notoriously hard to pack on size).

Watts Is Goddard 5 years ago.

Both pick no.1

Both didnt live to there expectations at first.

He will own the field in 2 years floating from mid to deft to fwd just like Goddard.

Everyone will have him In there super coach team in 2 seasons.

• Like 3

Hey, that's a pretty good team on paper. I'd say the only thing it's missing is a second zippy forward crumber. Outside of Byrnes there's not a lot of foot-speed in the forward half. I wouldn't rule out a Sylvia trade just yet either, personally.

The 2nd zippy forward is Blease. Had him as a sub but Tappy could be that man for round 1.

Also I think Dom Barry, whilst a wingman in junior footy, may be a show in the fwd pocket in the early stages.

Saw someone post a team with Matt Thomas on a back pocket in the page before. Not much to do with our team, but saw him at the gym i go to today. Not overly big up top, but jeez he's got some decent sized legs on him, particularly his hamstrings (which are notoriously hard to pack on size).

Matt Thomas does remind of having all the qualities of a good small defender. strong at the contest. physical. 2nd and 3rd efforts. loves to compete.

In the mould of a Damian Hardwick style of defender

• Like 1

Re. the Watts thing, I think it was telling that at the end of the Adelaide game (I think it was Adelaide) he was shifted forward. I suspect that he will be used as a bit of a utility, mainly on halfback, but being shifted to have short impact bursts from time to time, whether in the forward 50 or on the wing (or even in the middle). Very much along the lines of the way the Saints have used Goddard.

What the hell.......first time I have ever attempted one of these...

Nicholson/Evans Frawley Garland

Watts T McDonald Strauss

Ray/Taggert Grimes Blease

Tapscott Dawes Howe

Jetta Clark Sylvia

Jamar/Gawn, Jones, Trengove

Int: Viney, Wines, Pederson Sub: Byrnes

Emg: Davey, Sellar, Bail and the de-selected "/ " players above

While the forward line looks more competitive we still need 1-2 midfielders that can help us maintain possession. I have concerns about Trengove's speed and spread and he and Grimes need to be getting 25+ each week to be at AFL standard. I'd like us to add someone to help with that.

I think its fascinating to watch midfielders decision making at trade time. Those in demand are looking hard at whose in their midfield 'team' as they are aware of how important that structure is. We have really struggled to get anyone even half interested in us. I think it shows how poor we've been in there in 2012.

Sylvia we spend most of his time on ball, resting up forward. If you look at the way neeld structures up we basically play a 5 man forward line with the 6th forward pushing into the midfield. Next year based on securing dawes and pederson I think our forward line we look like

Blease pederson Howe

Clark dawes davey

With blease and Howe spend time on ball with Sylvia, byrnes, trengove, viney, Jones, tapscott resting up forward.