Sharrod Wellingham

felixdacat

I don't see the merit in assessing his worth based on this game. Almost every Collingwood player played poorly. Dale Thomas did nothing either, but he's clearly an A grade player.

As it stands, despite tonight, he's still better than pretty much our entire midfield, and is worth a decent sum. There is obviously a limit as to what we'd pay, and I'll back our new administration in to know that, but given what's on offer on the market, he's worth us chasing.

• Like 3

I think the point still stands, that f we have money which we NEED to spend then so be it, yeah he may not be the best player in the league but if he will fit in out best 22 and he is in collingwoods best 22 and he is the best available then do it, for the right deal.

I for one simply dont rate him that highly. Not worth playing overs for. In good sides there are often players which compliment the stars. He is one of these. Without the class around him I doubt whether he would have much impact at all.

However if we can get him on a reasonable offer I would be happy to give it a go as we dont have much. Steele sidebum however I rate hugely.

Yes, can't say I'd rush to sign him on that effort. Wellingham might not be our man but my view remains that if we want to poach players we'll have to overpay, at least initially.

I'm happy to overpay a gun, but not a front runner from a top team, because they may be ordinary in a poor team. I wanted Clark, because big aggressive and talented 200cm players don't grow on trees, but Wellingham has never had a year as good as 3 of Sylvia's. For example, giving Beams a silly amount of money would have made far more sense. Or Gaff, Fyfe, Shuey, Rockliff, etc, because you can see the type of players they'll become. But not the Wellingham's of this world.

Look at the following link and see how they already supersede a player like Wellingham and the gap will only continue to grow. You need to identify a player like the ones in the link and make them a priority. I don't know David Swallow's contract status at the Suns, but he's the type I'd throw a heap at. He had an ordinary year, but will be a star.

http://finalsiren.co...rageRating Desc

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 3

The problem I foresee is that we MUST pay at least 95% of the cap every year.

I have no problem overpaying for B class players and above if the 'hit' of their recruitment can be localised to these years where we have such cap flexibility.

Only a couple more weeks boys and all this will come to light.

Do you know something we don't?

The thing that annoys me is that you have suddenly all made up an opinion based on this one game... All it ends up looking like is that you don't watch a lot of football throughout the year.

Wellingham has stepped up multiple times... Beams, Daisy, Sidebottom, Swan... They all struggled.

Said it before and I'll say it again, Swans played really well, try not to over analyse things.

You lot would say Mitch Clark had some [censored] pea heart games in the past to, one game does not make a career.

The thing that annoys me is that you have suddenly all made up an opinion based on this one game... All it ends up looking like is that you don't watch a lot of football throughout the year.

Wellingham has stepped up multiple times... Beams, Daisy, Sidebottom, Swan... They all struggled.

Said it before and I'll say it again, Swans played really well, try not to over analyse things.

You lot would say Mitch Clark had some [censored] pea heart games in the past to, one game does not make a career.

I base my opinion on his stupid metrosexual look off the field more than last nights game.

Last nights game was more of a laugh for me especially when he got booted in the head.

Q.Why do grown men share a house when both are millionaires?

• Like 2

Reminded me a lot of Heffernan tonight.

lol-facepalm.gif

But I really think our 2002-2005 sides were similar to Sydney of 05-06 and 2012. The club was recruiting a lot of older, experienced outfits to contribute, and we were always around the top of the ladder deep into the season, before the annual drop off down a few spots (and sometimes down the brink of missing the finals). It just couldn't really utilise. Maybe that was Daniher's fault? But it smells awfully like this year's criticism that the club just doesn't do enough in training, which is clearly a cultural problem.

Wellingham is a premiership player, knows the work ethic and game-plan compliance to play in a team that has made the prelim/grand final in every season he has played with them. He would be well known to our coach and has all the skills we currently need for our midfield balance. He is quick, a good overhead mark, has great skills, gets outside possessions, breaks lines and can get his own ball. If Jones, Grimes, Trengove, Magner, Mckensie all have years like this one or improve Wellingham would be the ideal component to make up for the deficiencies of this group. For those discussing his low possession average it is very difficult to get high posessions in a midfield with 3 or 4 other guys getting 30+ possies. Often Wellingham plays roles, on a half forward flank, or on occasion has tagged, these skills make him a more balanced player, but in our midfield I have no doubt he would be getting more possies than our current midfield.

Also, in games where Pendelbury, Swan and Ball have been absent Wellingham has stepped up his possession and relished the new role. Anyone remember QB 2011? "He put himself in the spotlight with a career-best 37 possessions in the 2011 Queen's Birthday game against Melbourne, where he stood up in the absence of a number of star team-mates to lead Collingwood to a dominant 88 point win". He hasn't had many chances to be the main man, but this was one and he killed it.

Wellingham is a street ahead of our current mids and fills the deficiencies our mid balance currently has, get him!

• Like 5

He's better than what we've got at present so at least he'd be a step up. That's the reality of where we're at, we need to improve before anyone will want to come to us without having to be paid twice what they're worth.

Don't know if you guys know this, but Judd, Ablett, Buddy, and Watson aren't available.... How about some realism.

• Like 1

Can play and has gifts that members of our current midfield don't. It's what's upstairs that I would be concentrating on if I were considering bringing him to the club. MFC doesn't need flaky types.

If he is the sort of player that can keep fighting on when he has scoreboard and physical pressure against him then he would be perfect for us. If he needs a strong culture of leadership and success to be driven then we look at others.