Rivers and Gysberts to Geelong?

Weedster

Just to add to the discussion....... I feel Neeld wan'ts cometitors - blokes that will do anything to win at the club............. I personally don't think J Riv falls in to that category which could be another reason why his contract hasn't been decided yet

I say let Riv test out the RFA.

If he gets a good offer in a club that has finals aspirations, Good Luck.

If he gets a reasonable offer from a club that doesn't have immediate top four potential, then let the MFC match the offer if they wish.

Either way we can bid to retain him and pay about the "Market Price"

Riv is certainly not on the outer. Remember the article in which Frawley expressed his frustration at not playing finals. I think he sees the end and is tired of being beat all year long and then someone says come and win a few. Must be tempting. I hope he stays.

I say let Riv test out the RFA.

If he gets a good offer in a club that has finals aspirations, Good Luck.

If he gets a reasonable offer from a club that doesn't have immediate top four potential, then let the MFC match the offer if they wish.

Either way we can bid to retain him and pay about the "Market Price"

Riv is an unrestricted free agent, not restricted.

So he can walk anywhere and we don't get the chance to match the offer.

Riv is an unrestricted free agent, not restricted.

So he can walk anywhere and we don't get the chance to match the offer.

My apologies, I thought initially he was a FA.

But the way the post was heading I thought I may be wrong.

So I now say Good Luck Riv.

I hope you get the contract you want.

Just to add to the discussion....... I feel Neeld wan'ts cometitors - blokes that will do anything to win at the club............. I personally don't think J Riv falls in to that category which could be another reason why his contract hasn't been decided yet

Jared Rivers is one of the most reliably consistent competitors at the club. He is nothing if he is not competitive.

I suspect that the ball is in Jared's court to an extent, but the clubs not pressing depending on who becomes available through trades. I'd expect a deal to be done late October once things start sorting themselves out.

• Like 3

How quick can we turn it around? That's the question River's would be asking of Neeld and Co (I know I would anyway).

He played very well this year. His ability to read the play and take strong grabs were a highlight this year given the amount of pressure the backline was under at times.

Absolutely keep. Too much experience to lose given the precarious situation the list is in right now.

• Like 1

Am pretty comfortable with the RIvers situation. as an unrestricted FA, he is perfectly entitled to look at the market to see what is on offer. I have no doubt that the club will offer him another contract, and he would have a pretty good indication of the length and amount. I don't think Rivers is disillusioned or angry about being played out of position, in fact I think he has actually relished the opportunity to go forward. Can't see any bad blood between him and the coaching group either.

MFC won't want to lose him, but won't be forced into paying overs if it came to that.

• Like 2

From The Hun, June 21, 2012.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/jared-rivers-says-no-one-safe-at-melbourne/story-e6frf9jf-1226403523778

"The club has given me 10 years and it's been great," Rivers said.

"I am just focusing on trying to play decent footy for the rest of the year and we will see what happens after that, but I definitely want to be a one-club player.

A good honest player but limited in certain respects and easily replaceable. Got no issue with him leaving.

With who?

I don't think that's the case at all Rangey.

• Like 1

I see

I see McDonald, Garland, Frawley and Watts as the four we should go with in defence (along with two running smalls) in 2013.

We can cover the loss of Rivers IMO.

Rivers is easily the best contested grab out of the players you've just named. That's not easily replaceable.

definetely a loss if he goes, most consistent MFC player over the past few years. I honestly think that he is a leader of the side despite being dropped from leadership group. He battles hard every game, the type of player who is priceless imo.

And a very good spoiler.

its actually his forte, more so now. Always rated him as a very good reader of the ball. He started coming unstuck when he lost yeards with OP. Not sure how much of that pace hes really got back. Many forwards can run of of him now so he uses the 'read' more and more playing off of them trying to negate the ball in flight.

Has a good defensive side ( ethic ) but has on many occasions , lets be kind, unter-utilised the ball in disposal. id still prefer his as a 3rd up back rather than as forward but that I think was more a case of invention ue to neccessity, certainly not a preference for the selection panel.

Given the size ofthe exodus Id be inclined to want to keep him. Neeld set him tasks and to his credit he passed muster.

I agreee with those who think he'll be weighing up finals v time left .

Id probably prefer to keep him but not distressed if he want to fulfil his ambition elsewhere. Despite many misgivings Ill give him that hes been a good servant of the club.

bit of a 50/50 one for me

• Like 1

Personally, I'd like to see him stay in the red and blue, offers a steady head down back and as some posters have mentioned he's one of the better spoilers going around. You'd understand if he wanted to go to a club regularly playing finals, if that was the case good luck to him and it might open the door to Troy Davis staying on the list.

He has a tough decision to make.

This isn't 'Neeld screwing it to him' - this is Jared with a big decision to make.

In my mind, this is the prototypical reason for why we have Free Agency in the first place.

A bloke has slogged it out for 10 years and possibly wants to the chance to win a flag for less money.

Doesn't mean it is the right decision however.

• Like 3

A good honest player but limited in certain respects and easily replaceable. Got no issue with him leaving.

I agree that he is a good honest player and he has his limitations. He is not the person to stand on the gorilla key forwards, that's Frawley's job. His limitations are exposed when forced to play on a gorilla, he tends to get monstered.

I disagree that he's easily replaceable and I would have an issue with the club letting him walk. When played in the right role for him (i.e. the Scarlett/Maxwell role), he is very effective. He reads the play well, he's a good intercept mark and he is a competitive beast. I'd expect him to return to that role next year. Most importantly, he has experience. This young team is getting younger by the day and we need some older heads like him around the club.

I think he had a very good year and some of those early blowout losses would've been even bigger if it weren't for his efforts. He'll easily go top 10 in the Bluey this year. I'd be upset if he left.

• Like 2

I like Rivers...although it seems that we've already replaced him in the backline with McDonald.

Rivers played forward for a large chunk of the year and whoever we target during Trade week/FA to assist Clark will be the replacement for RIvers up front.

Would i like to see him leave....No

Would him leaving leave a massive hole....No

Would the loss of experience be a problem....Depends on who we can attract to MFC

Maybe now Junior has retired from GWS we could potentially welcome back some of our much needed leadership in some kind of coaching position?

its actually his forte, more so now. Always rated him as a very good reader of the ball. He started coming unstuck when he lost yeards with OP. Not sure how much of that pace hes really got back. Many forwards can run of of him now so he uses the 'read' more and more playing off of them trying to negate the ball in flight.

Has a good defensive side ( ethic ) but has on many occasions , lets be kind, unter-utilised the ball in disposal. id still prefer his as a 3rd up back rather than as forward but that I think was more a case of invention ue to neccessity, certainly not a preference for the selection panel.

Given the size ofthe exodus Id be inclined to want to keep him. Neeld set him tasks and to his credit he passed muster.

I agreee with those who think he'll be weighing up finals v time left .

Id probably prefer to keep him but not distressed if he want to fulfil his ambition elsewhere. Despite many misgivings Ill give him that hes been a good servant of the club.

bit of a 50/50 one for me

Information given to me was that one club, in particular, always played through Riv's opponent and they would instruct him to lead and take the ball out in front as they were aware that Riv wasn't quick enough to be able to keep up and spoil.

They were instructed to look for this match up and keep the ball low.

Information given to me was that one club, in particular, always played through Riv's opponent and they would instruct him to lead and take the ball out in front as they were aware that Riv wasn't quick enough to be able to keep up and spoil.

They were instructed to look for this match up and keep the ball low.

Id be suprised if only one club. He had tochange his game markedly when unable to contain the opponent directly, for as you say he'd run oof of Riv.

Im happy to trust Neeldy. if he thinks Jared has a role going forward and worth keeping. Thats obviously fine. If MN doesnt and JR moves on, then best of luck mate.

Im not one to say hes a must keep. ( I dont think I ever have been..lol)

My mail today is that he will likely stay. However that is always subject to deals that may eventuate.

The funny thing here is that with a large number of our players leaving, we will have money/salary cap space to pay players and could possibly look after him better than most other clubs. If he walks out, we get a compo pick. But if for example a trade was done where say he and another player go to the same club, we could get over the odds in the deal.

This is really going to be an interesting next few months for the MFC.

• Like 2

This is really going to be an interesting next few months for the MFC.

just a bit