All Australian squad announced

45HG

At the beginning of the year I wanted Jones to be our Brad Sewell. It was the challenge I threw down in my own mind. He's done that. Sewell has had a great year and so has Jones. They both missed top 40, because they're a smidgen off that league.

I'm comfortable with that.

I like that comparison. I'm a big fan of Sewell.

Im not overly fussed, after all, its just a list of players.

But i do think that jones has had his best season yet, and is probably been better than beams, or even pendlbury this year.

As i said, I'm not particularly fussed, there isn't anyone else from melbourne i would consider.

except Clark had he played out the season perhaps.

Beams is right in the thick of the Brownlow race this year. As much as I love Jones, there is no way that he has been better than Beams this season.

Im not overly fussed, after all, its just a list of players.

But i do think that jones has had his best season yet, and is probably been better than beams, or even pendlbury this year.

haha, we all love Jonesy but let's not go nuts..

Reality is he would've been fortunate to crack the squad, let alone the 22.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't normally care about this but it was the worst team in a long time.

Pendlebury over Mitchell?

Naitanui over Jacobs?

Cox in the forward pocket?

The thing that really annoys me is that they said Pavlich didn't make the team because he played in the midfield early in the year (then kicking 50 goals in ten games), but they then chose Naitanui becuase when he was in the ruck he was good, despite the fact he spent a lot of time forward.

• Like 1

i nearly spat out my drink when they said nik nats name, they had buddy in after missing 6 weeks but then choose rioli over jetta because jetta had a poor last 4 weeks WTF pavlich should have been CHF and cox in forward pocket was a joke put him on the bench if you want 2 ruckmen

Guest Rassilon

And by club....

ADELAIDE: Patrick Dangerfield, Sam Jacobs, Brent Reilly, Scott Thompson, Taylor Walker.

CARLTON: Eddie Betts.

COLLINGWOOD: Dayne Beams, Scott Pendlebury, Dane Swan.

ESSENDON: Jobe Watson.

FREMANTLE: Luke McPharlin, Matthew Pavlich.

GEELONG: Corey Enright, Tom Hawkins, Tom Lonergan, Joel Selwood, Harry Taylor.

GOLD COAST: Gary Ablett.

HAWTHORN: Grant Birchall, Lance Franklin, Sam Mitchell, Cyril Rioli.

NORTH MELBOURNE: Drew Petrie, Andrew Swallow

RICHMOND: Trent Cotchin, Brett Deledio, Ivan Maric, Jack Riewoldt.

ST KILDA: Sean Dempster, Lenny Hayes, Stephen Milne, Nick Riewoldt.

SYDNEY: Kieren Jack, Lewis Jetta, Josh Kennedy, Ted Richards.

WEST COAST: Dean Cox, Darren Glass, Nic Naitanui, Beau Waters.

Interesting list - Wonder how many of these teams spend more money in their Football Department on player development?

Taking Gold Coast out whos only player was developed at Geelong.

Cyril had 2 games for the year of 20 or more possessions and 2 games for the year of 2 goals or more. How that gets you in the squad let alone the team is beyond me.

Natanui as starting ruck is laughable.

Great to see Dempster get the nod as he is very under rated.

Not good is it, his party tricks didn't stand up under real pressure on Saturday night. Healy loves him, Bartlett loves him, say no more. Jacobs and the Mullet a bit stiff I would have thought.

• Like 2

Cyril had 2 games for the year of 20 or more possessions and 2 games for the year of 2 goals or more. How that gets you in the squad let alone the team is beyond me.

Natanui as starting ruck is laughable.

Great to see Dempster get the nod as he is very under rated.

Most over rated player going around. Without out doubt, hasnt been consistently good since the premiership.

I think it's time Adelaide (Sam Jacobs) and even Richmond (Ivan Maric) for that matter demand a "please explain" from the AFL with regard to six of the seven selectors voting for NikNat as leading ruckman for AA.

Epic Fail.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have had Naitanui in the squad of 40, but for him to be named first ruck is the worst decision in AA history. It's very much a populist vote and borders on reverse racism.

If one dismisses those ruckman with less than 10 games he averages equal 14th in hitouts. Maric and Jacobs average more possessions, more hitouts and more marks. Jacobs has the most hitouts to advantage in the league. Naitanui kicked more goals because he played forward so much. Which is another reason he should never have been number one ruck. Will Minson had a better year.

Disgraceful.

• Like 8

Guest Rassilon

I wouldn't have had Naitanui in the squad of 40, but for him to be named first ruck is the worst decision in AA history. It's very much a populist vote and borders on reverse racism.

If one dismisses those ruckman with less than 10 games he averages equal 14th in hitouts. Maric and Jacobs average more possessions, more hitouts and more marks. Jacobs has the most hitouts to advantage in the league. Naitanui kicked more goals because he played forward so much. Which is another reason he should never have been number one ruck. Will Minson had a better year.

Disgraceful.

Bingo! Nice post think its why we get so much un-warranted criticism about a player we overlooked. Which sadly we had little choice - it would have been near impossible to hold him. Nik Nat has had a great year - However, the "media" love affair need to get off our case and tell the whole story.