Oliver Wines

PartyTimeJohnny

First of all - I am not the spelling police but "no faith that they will get it rite" did tickle my irony meter.

This interstate go home thing is now a nonsense.

Free agency doesnt allow unrestricted movement until a decent amount of time has been served.

So after two year or three year contract expires, if a player says I want to go home, the club can basically say no. It is up to us to trade him if we want or unless the players homestate club has first pick in the PSD, take his chances that no one else will take him. Mitch Brown of WCE said he wanted to go home was contracted and the WCE said no. Next year he may say the same but if GC and GWS are bottom two then if opts out then thats where he may end up.

That's why Mitch Clark who wanted to go home didnt get there and the same goes for Tippett.

Players are only getting home now through the good grace of the club - ie StKilda and Cripps.

It is up to our club to make players want to stay

how is our great club going to make them stay, maybe because of our fantastic culture? i would like to now how you think our club can keep these interstate kids, were a laughing stock, the only thing we have had to talk about since 06 is draft picks, i would like to now your thoughts on how they will hold these kids.

how is our great club going to make them stay, maybe because of our fantastic culture? i would like to now how you think our club can keep these interstate kids, were a laughing stock, the only thing we have had to talk about since 06 is draft picks, i would like to now your thoughts on how they will hold these kids.

I think that the new FD has in a way taken control of the place and I don't see the quality people in that FD being somehow overpowered, hypnotized, mesmerized by our past failures. They've already barged through our past.

• Like 1

Haven't lost them yet have we?

We lost HWFUA to money and his dads greed and that is it. Thompson was a decade ago.

I will back us to keep anyone so pick the best option and work like hell to make the team better.

Ultimately, success and the promise of more success will keep them around.

And we do believe that is in our future don't we?

We will keep these kids because, despite our on-field performances, this year has seen a seismic shift in our culture which is going to manifest itself through the pre-season and hopefully bear fruit in season 2013. We will become a club that kids wish to remain with, particularly now that we have recruited players with premiership/finals experience and who have proven leadership ability.

Defeatist, may as well fold now.

We don't want to recruit the best in the land cos they will leave.....

wow

• Like 1

Keep kids by creating a winning culture, but that aside.......

You didnt read my post all that well I'm thinking..

Lets take Hogan as a case in point - lets say that his two year contract expired now and he wants to go home - with WCE and Freo way down the pecking order in the national and PSD would you care to explain to me how you think he will get home unless we trade him ?

The only real danger is that a player can walk out at expiry of contract if he is happy enough to go to the club that has the first pick in the draft.

In summary - unless the club/state of choice has first pick or can trade into a first pick, or the player is an unrestricted free agent or doesnt care which club he goes to - this notion that a player can pack up and go to back to his home state does not exist.

Haven't lost them yet have we?

We lost HWFUA to money and his dads greed and that is it. Thompson was a decade ago.

I will back us to keep anyone so pick the best option and work like hell to make the team better.

Ultimately, success and the promise of more success will keep them around.

And we do believe that is in our future don't we?

i hope its in our future, i find it strange that they are going to pick two kids from interstate, one has hip problems, and the other cant play until 2014, anyway thats just my opinions.

i hope its in our future, i find it strange that they are going to pick two kids from interstate, one has hip problems, and the other cant play until 2014, anyway thats just my opinions.

please explain the mechanism to get an interstate player home ......

please highlight the last player that a club really wanted to keep that went home (interstate)

again - Clark and Tippett both declared their intentions to go home and they went ...ummmmmm

please explain the mechanism to get an interstate player home ......

please highlight the last player that a club really wanted to keep that went home (interstate)

again - Clark and Tippett both declared their intentions to go home and they went ...ummmmmm

Wellingham went home this season, you come off like were in the top 6 clubs in the comp, Norf are headed in a better direction than us, all im saying is i would like to grab a Victorian, whats wrong with that, i read your 800 odd posts in the scummy thread when he was leaving so there is no way im getting into a slanging match with you. :)

Wellingham went home this season, you come off like were in the top 6 clubs in the comp, Norf are headed in a better direction than us, all im saying is i would like to grab a Victorian, whats wrong with that, i read your 800 odd posts in the scummy thread when he was leaving so there is no way im getting into a slanging match with you. :)

...only when Collingwood got overs for him.

Look, I understand your wanting to grab a Vic but I think the go home factor is not as big as you think. Most that want to go home are usually not getting enough game time or as in Wellingham's case have really been squeezed out with salary cap pressure. Too much money for Cloke not enough left over for Wellingham.

I'm not into slanging either - and I am not sure where I suggested for a second we are a top 6 club. We are all entitled to our opinions but expect them to be robustly debated especially when they have more holes in them than swiss cheese.

Wellingham was Collingwoods 5th best onballer ( 6th best if Ball wasnt injured) and recruited as a rookie who indeed wanted to go home and was accomodated by Collingwood who had rather large salary cap squeeze with the re-signing of Cloke. Collingwood made little effort to keep - they made a good effort at letting other clubs have a sniff and getting a first round draft pick out of WCE.

Compare that to Travis Boak who wanted to come home and leave a club ( a club that had at least 3 top flight coaches say "no thanks") and go home - Port wanted very much to keep him and did exactly that.

So to repeat a third time - it is rare that when a club really wants to keep a player from going home that they fail because without the co-operation of the club the player is at, unless the interstate club has first pick, the system is such that there is no guarantee where you will end up if the player stands his ground and decides to leave the club.

Guest José Mourinho

FFS, we managed to keep players the calibre of Trengove, Grimes, Jones, and also managed to attract Mitch Clark at a time when our culture has been admittedly putrid.

Now that it is improving, you think we're going to do worse in this regard?

Somebody pls kindly attach a facepalm image here.

Ta.

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

Thompson was a decade a ago.

Scully's was a unique situation owing to the introduction of a ridiculously cashed up franchise playing by a different set of rules to everyone else. What's more, we actually capitalized on that situation by cleverly snaring top-tier compensation for him.

No club worth it's salt restricts it's recruiting to state allegiances. It's preposterous.

It's fair enough you'd prefer Wines but stick to the hip surgery angle on Toumpas. It's your best bet.

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

What I do find interesting is that quite a few of the posters who cited 'go home factor' in the NikNat v Watts thread are firmly on the other side of the fence here. Ha!

Nup Inside grunt beats outside run and carry in my book ANYDAY!

Our greatest need is WINES not Toumpas!

Out with the placards and march to the Coast, picket. I think you will be happy with Toumpas. I know I will. Either player would be mighty fine. There will always be comparisons.

Edited by H_T
Stuff.