Walls on SEN

baysidedave

At the risk of upsetting the critics who post here, I suggest that injecting four class players into our side being Jamar, Jurrah, Watts and Clark would make a huge difference to our performance and our confidence.

Removing a similar group from any side would make them struggle.

We are not the basket case that many believe.

Spot on. Arguably 4 of our top 5 players not in the side. Add them and it it is a different look all together. Everyone knows Melbourne don't have great depth so taking 4 of your best players out is going to hurt way more than it would for a top side.

Just look at GC. Their 2 best players (not yesterday but full stop)? Ablett and Bennell. Take them out of yesterdays GC side (which was not far off full strength by the way) and we would have by 15 goals.

I'll say it again - injuries are by far the biggest factor in football in regard to ladder position and we have had a shocking year in that regard.

Today for me was the least satisfying of the wins this year. The Essendon game was the happiest I have been in quite some time and I felt some retribution had been doled out to that tiprat Scully but today? The skill level was awful and if they had been playing one of the top teams, they would have lost by 5 goals minimum.

Spot on. Arguably 4 of our top 5 players not in the side. Add them and it it is a different look all together. Everyone knows Melbourne don't have great depth so taking 4 of your best players out is going to hurt way more than it would for a top side.

Just look at GC. Their 2 best players (not yesterday but full stop)? Ablett and Bennell. Take them out of yesterdays GC side (which was not far off full strength by the way) and we would have by 15 goals.

I'll say it again - injuries are by far the biggest factor in football in regard to ladder position and we have had a shocking year in that regard.

I think our results beg to differ, even when we had 3 out of those 4 on the park we struggled. There is adding "MFC class" and real class. Clark for mine is the only one who has shown consistant class. Watts has improved this year and is on the cusp i'd think but is not class week in week out (only my opinion even though he has improved). Jurrah even when "down" still kicks 2 goals a game but is he class all the time and defensively, will he be here next year (god I hope so). Jamar while has played at AA level I don't think is class outside of tap work.

At the risk of upsetting the critics who post here, I suggest that injecting four class players into our side being Jamar, Jurrah, Watts and Clark would make a huge difference to our performance and our confidence.

None of the players you mention is a midfielder, which, as you know, is the problem and the reason for our current plight.

Put Jamar and Clark in that side and we'd have won by 15 goals. We did what we had to do to get over the line with a less than ordinary side. And let's face it Ablett is better than every player on our list by the length of the Flemington straight and Bennell would easily be out best midfielder if he crossed clubs tomorrow.

You won't get the Walls of this world bothering to mention that.

After quarter time yesterday we were very disappointing imo. Clearly we are a long, long way off the standard being set by the top teams, and I reckon this is what Walls was alluding to. I also think Bennell and Ablett were probably best and second BOG. We won because we had a more even team performance than GC, who fell away sharply after those two. I am definitely not a Walls fan, but I find it hard to argue strongly against his assessments on this occasion.

Edit: typo

Agree. Not only were we playing the bottom side, they had 5 bad injuries. Prestia subbed off in 1st quarter and then their ruckman Smith went down in 2nd. Hunt was hurt in first and carried an arm all game and Rischitelli was on one leg at full forward. Also courtesy of a Tapscott bump, they lost another player later with a stuffed shoulder who ended up in hospital. The bottom side, totally undermanned and they nearly outscored us in the last 3 quarters. Anyone who says that is a great effort is easily pleased. Yes it was good to win, but let's put it in perspective. The good thing for us was that we started well and had far from our best side in.

• Like 1

Geeez.....I came on DL today thinking that there might be a positive note....but alas....the same old depressing comments by the same old depressing posters...."We are no good...We are pathetic....ect....ect..."

Take the win.... even enjoy it for a few moments....It beats the S&^%$ out of losing....

• Like 4

It's had me stumped for several years how Walls keeps getting fed.

As it happens I didn't think it was a great win -- I was disappointed we didn't put the foot down after setting up a match-winning lead in the first, especially given their injuries, but it was nice to have an afternoon at the football without any danger of defeat.

But to pot Green for celebrating ... please. Six weeks ago it looked like the bloke would be ending his career at Casey. Do we now begrudge him for enjoying his football again?

On a slightly different topic, I don't agree with the earlier poster who lumped Johnson with McLean re their tanking comments. I don't think Johnson said anything out of order. McLean is no rocket scientist, but should have known better. Gardner was the most infuriating, I thought.

• Like 2

Today for me was the least satisfying of the wins this year. The Essendon game was the happiest I have been in quite some time and I felt some retribution had been doled out to that tiprat Scully but today? The skill level was awful and if they had been playing one of the top teams, they would have lost by 5 goals minimum.

Given our situation, a five goal loss to one of the top teams would be an extraordinary effort. Find a positive somewhere, please!

I don't see media scrutiny as a bad thing. The media hounds on about Melbourne more than other clubs because many people want to see Melbourne succeed. Malthouse, even Kennett have voiced disappointment at how inept Melbourne has been over the years, considering it is a foundation club and the true home club of the MCG. The club used to be a powerhouse and isn't, and believe it or not, people want to see Melbourne become successful, more than they do the Doggies, or Saints, or Roos.

Melbourne was uninspiring after quarter time. The Suns had a deplorable lineup, and their full forward was limping all day and yet still was a target on a number of occasions, which isn't good enough on Melbourne's behalf. They also lost Prestia early and were 2 men down for the whole match.

The most disappointing aspect was the obvious complacency, which the TV commentators brought up a few times. The Suns also smashed Melbourne in clearances and inside 50s, which is very, very disheartening.

A win is a win, but you can't hinge the future of the club on wins like that. We wold have smashed them either way, no matter what the ins and outs were for the team, but Melbourne is a long, long way off.

Acknowledging that doesn't make you a bad supporter.

• Like 3

I did hear Walls say that Green celebrated like Watson did when he won the grand final, except Green did it for "every one of his goals against the Gold Coast kids."

What, so melbourne is getting beating nearly every week this year and when we actually win a game we can't celebrate?!? give them a break walls, let them enjoy it!

If McKenzie played Bennell would not have had anywhere close to 38 disposals.

yeah he would have. Bennell could be anything.

For what its worth

- we were ordinary after halftime - our position on the ladder is what our position on the ladder is - we played that way

- bennell was by far the best player on the ground with Ablett just behind - apart from that Caddy was ok and then zip for them - we had by far the better "team" on the ground. (take our two best off the ground - Jones/Green and we would have still won - take Bennell and Ablett out of GC and they would have been smashed by a million goals or thereabouts)

- Green celebrating was great - we were pilloried earlier in the year for kicking a goal and not one team mate acknowledging it - we dont have much to celebrate but we should enjoy every positive and acknowledge them

• Like 3

I couldn't believe how negative Robert Wall's was yesterday on SEN. Not one positive thing about Melbourne came out of his mouth. Good on Brad Green to celebrate. Walls came across as a bitter, twisted old man who looks at the cup half empty. I enjoyed the win.

I did hear Walls say that Green celebrated like Watson did when he won the grand final, except Green did it for "every one of his goals against the Gold Coast kids."

Very true too.

A bit sad.

Or, he was a bloke that started his career with a successful team only to spend 75% of it being thumped and constantly under criticism. I thought it was obvious Brad has been told his time is up this year and he was enjoying the last bag of goals he'll kick on the G in front of his family. I was glad he got to do that, and I think anyone that wants to take that away from a 250 game player is mean spirited.

• Like 5

Why does anyone think that the comment "if we had played a good side today we would have been belted" is insightful? We have played the top sides, we were belted, we know that. What we didn't know was how we would play against a bad team that managed to beat a team we lost to twice. We won easily and were never challenged, some players played better than they have all year (all career for Spencer), others played just ok, overall we won, great, thats all we can ask for.

Essendon beat this team by 5 points, they've beaten some good teams and are in contention for the 8, meant nothing to them. Richmond smashed both of the premiership favourites yet lost to this team, didn't seem to affect their performance against top teams too much. Maybe if we can get winning against bottom teams right the confidence we gain will help us against the top teams, not how we look doing it.

• Like 1

I couldn't believe how negative Robert Wall's was yesterday on SEN. Not one positive thing about Melbourne came out of his mouth. Good on Brad Green to celebrate. Walls came across as a bitter, twisted old man who looks at the cup half empty. I enjoyed the win.

Wallsy loves Bailey and because we sacked him he wont let us rest.