What's wrong with Ricky Petterd?

Dee_Flower

Another one of our mid tier players who instead of kicking on actually went backwards.

Our list is littered with these 'hopefuls' and a main reason why were are at the bottom of the ladder.

The game these days does not have a position for a forward pocket that can't run around the midfield.

Unless you are Stephen Milne you will need to be able to spend half the match rotatating with other mids.

Can't see how Ricky will survive in the modern game.

Even worse I have no confidence in the coaching staff to be able to take him to the next level.

The problem is that he is a massive application tease.

You can't get 12 Inside 50 tackles against the Tigers and then nothing for a month as he did a couple years back.

Consistent effort is required for Ricky and he lets himself down here. I think he can be a useful player, but I don't think it will be with us.

Shame.

• Like 1

The problem is that he is a massive application tease.

You can't get 12 Inside 50 tackles against the Tigers and then nothing for a month as he did a couple years back.

Consistent effort is required for Ricky and he lets himself down here. I think he can be a useful player, but I don't think it will be with us.

Shame.

which is why I think he'll be thrwon on the trade table. Someone might see a glimmer and think hes worth a punt.. Hed be a low return trade imho.

or he may end up in the draft of his own accord. Dont see much red and blue in his future

I thought he played his best footy when he played down back. He was very courageous, and took the game on.

Collingwood offered him 300k at the end of 2010 and he stayed with us. Chose to not take Gold Coasts money too. If we let him go another club will take him, I'd prefer he spend some time with Leigh Brown work on his 1 on

1's and get a bigger tank to double/ triple lead.

With that he'll be a bloody good mid sized flanker or pocket.

Collingwood offered him 300k at the end of 2010 and he stayed with us. Chose to not take Gold Coasts money too. If we let him go another club will take him, I'd prefer he spend some time with Leigh Brown work on his 1 on

not so fast grasshopper !! Keep in m,ind when those deals were ofered, what sort of nick Ricky was in etc .

Now fast fwd to now...Have a think of whats transpired...and the resultant effect.

He may well get a gig somewhere else but the path to his door has grown over some :mellow:

maybe he is just injured.

he would nt have got a game. Others could come in ahead of him if that were th case.. I know were talking in terms of degrees of inadequacy,,,but hey

not so fast grasshopper !! Keep in m,ind when those deals were ofered, what sort of nick Ricky was in etc .

Now fast fwd to now...Have a think of whats transpired...and the resultant effect.

He may well get a gig somewhere else but the path to his door has grown over some :mellow:

I understand that but talent doesn't die. Confidence goes down, playing in team that averages 30I50's a game with a change of coach and philosophy. Teams been through big changes all of which are catered toward fixing our running backwards so the forwards have been hurt most. He'll come good

Dl7 i hope others (teams) also think there's something there. A better result for us.

Neeld i sense is over those that might and is only interested in those that will. For that matter so am I.

I don't he is injured at the moment, but I think his history of injuries has resulted in a loss of confidence and continuity. In 2010 his goal kicking was very tight but he seems to have lost that. Could be an important card if Josh Caddy wants to come home as might add a stronger body to the Suns and they were a fan of him. Ricky might need a fresh start.

Ricky tries hard and he is an okay player, but he is not outstanding at any one aspect of the caper. He's not fast, tall, strong, has poor hands, is a poor kick, and does not appear to have the stamina to run up and down the ground getting from contest to contest.

• Like 1

I understand that but talent doesn't die. Confidence goes down, playing in team that averages 30I50's a game with a change of coach and philosophy. Teams been through big changes all of which are catered toward fixing our running backwards so the forwards have been hurt most. He'll come good

That's exactly why I get so frustrated with Ricky. You know there is talent there but we just haven't seen it this year. Agree about the forwards. Doesn't Green look good when we get some quick quality inside 50's. I'd like one more year to see where Ricky is at but I doubt Neeld has the same amount love for RIcky.

Guest José Mourinho

Well thats your opinion.. What I'm talking about is a bit like an artist, more than a front runner.

We're talking about what motivates a persons output. And many are different. I think your showing your narrow experience.

I like the challenge of getting different types of people to function well.

The average norm is a bit boring to work with. Crack the whip and go. Like a dog sled.

I think you're showing your inability to articulate yourself and form a coherent post...

Guest José Mourinho

...but still not better than the others we have to play that position, keeping him consistently out of our 22.

I don't he is injured at the moment, but I think his history of injuries has resulted in a loss of confidence and continuity. In 2010 his goal kicking was very tight but he seems to have lost that. Could be an important card if Josh Caddy wants to come home as might add a stronger body to the Suns and they were a fan of him. Ricky might need a fresh start.

We keep talking about his injuries - I'm interested to know what injuries he has had since his "mad tackling" game against the Toiges? He was obviously full of confidence that day, and wasn't thinking about his prior serious injuries, so I'm just interested to know where his body has faled him since (not trying to be a smart arz, but I know it will sound like I am!).

I am quite confident that the Suns would pay "overs" for him. I think his market value would be a 3rd round pick, but could see GC offering a 2nd rounder, especially if they pick up a late 2nd round pick in a trade somewhere along the track.

Perhaps we could offer our 3rd rounder and Petterd for their 2nd round pick? Would give us 5 picks inside the top 25.

he would nt have got a game. Others could come in ahead of him if that were th case.. I know were talking in terms of degrees of inadequacy,,,but hey

who would have come in? it's slim pickings at the moment.

Seriously, I'd like to know. Obviously Neeld doesn't like him, but Bailey also dropped him if I recall correctly. Does he not have the skill, the right attitude, the fitness - what is it? His career looks over before it even started properly.

we all recall Petterd was a "go to" man under Bailey and held in high regard. this was when melbourne had some function in general field play. collingwood experienced that. petterD plays under strict instructions that inhibit his natural style. he's not the only player to have fallen away this year.

Trengove, Martin, Dunn, Blease, Gysberts, Bate, Howe, Moloney immediately come to mind. Could ad Jamar to that list. Yes agreed some on that list weren't world beaters under Bailey but were expected to kick on this year. did not happen.

Shocking judgment calls dumping Green as Captain for Trengove/Grimes have [censored] off these middle tier players "big time". basic cause and effect.

TICK TOCK!

Edited by thaipantsman

we all recall Petterd was a "go to" man under Bailey and held in high regard. this was when melbourne had some function in general field play. collingwood experienced that. petterD plays under strict instructions that inhibit his natural style. he's not the only player to have fallen away this year.

Trengove, Martin, Dunn, Blease, Gysberts, Bate, Howe, Moloney immediately come to mind. Could ad Jamar to that list. Yes agreed some on that list weren't world beaters under Bailey but were expected to kick on this year. did not happen.

Shocking judgment calls dumping Green as Captain for Trengove/Grimes have [censored] off these middle tier players "big time". basic cause and effect.

TICK TOCK!

lol

WTF?

Petterd was in and out last year too.

You know, just because something happens, or we are talking about something negative does not automatically mean it benefits ones preconceived notions or agenda.

There is a lesson for kiddies out there, if you want to be taken seriously in any subject - don't trace back every bad occurence to your pre-determined argument.

• Like 1

Plays like he has a hormonal problem which affects his focus. Seems to depend on how the juices are flowing on the day. I would play him down back for a while where the excitement levels are less distracting. Didn't he start his career there for us?

TRADE THE S*** OUT OF HIM!

I understand that but talent doesn't die.

Talent a finite resource which every player must work hard on to extract the best out of himself. Ricky does not do this. Poor application and lazy efforts are a sure fire path to failure in AFL. As is blaming the coach, teammates etc.

No trade value IMO and likely delist if we cant trade for something.

I like that in a player.

I like Ricky.

But I think he will be gone because he is running at 50% of what he could be .

Same here Biff, I reckon he's gone too. If can't get a game in this team, he wouldn't get one anywhere else.

Seen him play a couple of games of late, IMO he doesn't know how to get near it. The only time he shows any intensity is when he's having a crack at the umpires for an overlooked free kick.

Edited by stinga81

Talent a finite resource which every player must work hard on to extract the best out of himself. Ricky does not do this. Poor application and lazy efforts are a sure fire path to failure in AFL. As is blaming the coach, teammates etc.

No trade value IMO and likely delist if we cant trade for something.

So, that means he is a delist? If he has no trade value, then we're obviously not going to trade for something in your opinion. Contradiction much?

I have no doubt the Gold Coast would see great value in him, and they would be more than willing to negotiate.

Petterd isn't a dud, he has plenty of ability, he is young but not a kid. It's a very low risk for the Gold Coast if they were to pick him up, and it's something that could turn in to considerable reward.