Inside Football Drafting in July

Grimes Times

Wines at 12 is a bit of a stretch

I agree it would be unlikelyto be Wines, but someone must end up slipping in all reality, with the likeds of Plowman, Vlastuin, Wines, Stringer, Shaw, Kennedy, Menzel, O'rouke

And even players like Garlett and Simpson and Mayes have been mentioned around 10 so someone decent will be available at 12 especially if they slide in the second half of the year. Although Wines himself has been building since the start of the champs.

The key for us is if gwp's r gold coast don't nominate viney.

Then we will be big winners

why on earth would we take a defender at #4 (Plowmen)

its the only part of the ground we are decent and we have an abundance of back men who play well (Rivers, Frawley, Garland, Watts, Macdonald, Seller) , in fact we have half of them playing up forward now.

• Like 1

agree.... and not to mention Troy Davis & Jai Sheehan (

its the only part of the ground we are decent and we have an abundance of back men who play well (Rivers, Frawley, Garland, Watts, Macdonald, Seller) , in fact we have half of them playing up forward now.

Not to mention Troy Davis and Jai Sheehan as well....With a noted lack of strength in the midfield, I really can't see us going past the midfielders in this draft, unless we use a pick to trade, or mini draft to get Hogan from WA or something similar to that.

So .... Inside Football don't have Viney as one of the top 23 players in this draft.

This is worrying.

I think you will find that they have him going at our second round pick......I think this is a preview of first round only

I've heard a lot of people on here not wanting us to get Grundy but I would love for him to slip to us. Highly talented

big men are hard to find and with pick 4,12 and Viney(fingers crossed) for midfielders we would have a very formidable centre line.

• Like 1

So .... Inside Football don't have Viney as one of the top 23 players in this draft.

This is worrying.

come,come rangey, read it again, this was not a ranking list

it was the drafting sequence

if you read the article they expect jt to go with mfc's round 2 pick because they don't think gws or gcs will bid for him in fs draft

Why can't we nominate Joe Daniher with our first pick? Jst to throw the cat amongst the pigeons?

We can, but GC and GWS will probably do it before we get an opportunity. And it won't achieve anything except Essendon taking him with their 1st rounder anyway, so that will be one stuffed cat that the pigeons won't take much notice of.

I used to write for a horse racing magazine, owned by the son of a prominent Melbourne-based entrepreneur.

His lifestyle had a tendency to throw (Dad's) money about willy-nilly just to stroke his ego. This "play thing" of his was Exhibit A. The magazine was glossy and done up to the nines; its contributors included the most recognised names in the industry; it was promoted heavily on Sport 927, Best Bets and whatever else relevant media there was.

But ultimately, it was a pointless bit of trash. The business existed out of a tiny corner in the Dad's much larger and successful office space. There was no editorial control, the contributors cared only for their inflated paycheck to arrive - hence the professionalism was equal to a Division 5 reserves team of fatsos and 13 yos playing their second game in a day. Credibility? 100/1 and drifting.

Inside Football smells of the same manure.

He is very highly rated, i agree that we will most likely not take him at 3/4 but many people suggest he will not be available by the time 12 comes around, only possibility is that him being injured may let others rise above him. I like the sound of him personally and like others am not convince that the backline we have is world class, players like Davis and Sheehan who have 1 AFL game if any between them being named as our future.

We could definately be linked with Grundy but only imo if Viney slides to the second round meaning we get 2 top 5 Mids and Grundy and then someone else special like a Garlett, Stringer Plowman or Menzel at 12

I draft like this would be incredible imo

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

I used to write for a horse racing magazine, owned by the son of a prominent Melbourne-based entrepreneur.

His lifestyle had a tendency to throw (Dad's) money about willy-nilly just to stroke his ego. This "play thing" of his was Exhibit A. The magazine was glossy and done up to the nines; its contributors included the most recognised names in the industry; it was promoted heavily on Sport 927, Best Bets and whatever else relevant media there was.

But ultimately, it was a pointless bit of trash. The business existed out of a tiny corner in the Dad's much larger and successful office space. There was no editorial control, the contributors cared only for their inflated paycheck to arrive - hence the professionalism was equal to a Division 5 reserves team of fatsos and 13 yos playing their second game in a day. Credibility? 100/1 and drifting.

Inside Football smells of the same manure.

I can see where you're coming from, but it doesn't mean the author's opinions on the draft should just be dismissed out of hand.

There may be something worthwhile we can take out of it.

Just gotta figure out what that is.

I've heard a lot of people on here not wanting us to get Grundy but I would love for him to slip to us. Highly talented

big men are hard to find and with pick 4,12 and Viney(fingers crossed) for midfielders we would have a very formidable centre line.

If we picked him up, we would probably look to have some/all of Gawn, Martin and Spencer move on

I can see where you're coming from, but it doesn't mean the author's opinions on the draft should just be dismissed out of hand.

Not dismissed. But I don't get how Viney was missing from their top 22. Or how Plowman is rated so high. I'm intrigued by the latter more than the former*; I'd like to know more. What does it say? "Missed the championships through injury but is the best rebounding key defender." Right. I barely know why the "draft expert" rates Plowman so highly for a key defender, nor do I know why he thinks we should take him at 4.

* Obviously, he didn't include Viney because he expects him to go second round under F/S, but that wasn't explained well enough.

Have you seen Plowmen play????

This is worrying.

To be honest, I think it probably improves our position.

The further he slides, the less inclined GWS and GC will be to risk losing a player like Whitfield or Grundy.

If we picked him up, we would probably look to have some/all of Gawn, Martin and Spencer move on

I would think only one of them (Spencer). It is good to have a few compitent big men and taking Grundy now would

mean in 2-3 years when Jamar is getting older he will be mature enough to take over the number one ruck roll

or sharing it with Gawn. That would be a dominate combo a bit like Cox and Natainui is now.

This is worrying.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ..shuddup will ya !!! :unsure:

* Obviously, he didn't include Viney because he expects him to go second round under F/S, but that wasn't explained well enough.

I found it crystal clear. They said at the beginning it was their belief that Viney would slip through to the second round. In fact this was what they said: "Right now it appears unlikely that either GWS or Gold Coast will bid for Viney with a first round selection. That would leave the Demons in the position of being able to take the son of recruiting manager Todd with their second-round pick. A steal if ever there was one!"

And just prior to listing their first round they said: "Here's how we see the first round panning out".

It was explained well enough for a 4 year old to understand.

Edited by Ben-Hur