Would you Let Jack Viney go to GWS!

ashdemons22

We bemoan our lack of culture, yet drafting this kid well do a good deal to fix this- with his style of play and workrate.

If we pass on him (which we wont- and if you believe we will you are kidding yourself) it is unlikely we will get him back- and then you can have a sook while the sure thing kills it in the midfield for GWS/GC, and we may end up with another NQR, or gutter rat that could abandon the ship.

Wake the f up!

A 17 year old 'sure thing' thats going to 'fix our culture' ? No, you're right. We're being completely irrational.

(and as much as I love Todd Viney as a player did he not 'abandon ship' to coach Phillippousis? How's your revisionist history working out for you?)

Integrity is worth loads. Think of economic rationalism and the cancerous effect it had when everything was based on what the bean-counters said and human factors or rights-and-wrongs were dismissed.

The public standing of MFC lost a lot, as far as integrity goes, with tanking, throwing away our respected captain because he'd done a hammy, even the style of our play, with its lack of accountability... Then Scully's duplicity further tarnished the image of our club...

We need to distance ourselves from every sort of chicanery and "pragmatism". It would be a very sound investment instead to prioritise at any cost a culture of integrity.

We do not do an Adelaide at the tribunal. We do not try to set up Visy deals or go corporate lawyers and accountants to find an edge. We actually make a success without having cheats of any description on our list. We are not drawn into the Sheedy-style [censored]. Maybe it's a good thing to be told we have turned into an old-fashioned club. We begin to look after our own. Close ranks, and build strength. Norm Smith practiced this. And in that vein we take Viney - of course we do - he's OURS.

As to the calculation of his size and speed and the length of his kick - grow up! (Barassi was of indeterminate size and not especially quick, the son of a former player. But didn't the qualities that he did have outweigh the measurables! - and in a number of ways similar to what we hear JV's assets are. I can't wait to see Jack Viney running out for us.)

I agree with all those aspects of integrity & we have an agreement with Jack, & his integrity back to us, would not want us to be bent over by unscrupulous clubs playing games, with the F/S pick.

That is why the integrity of the footy dept' & Todd himself will dictate, as he's said publicly, that we take best available.

So with that, Jack will be ours in the 2nd Rnd.

And we'll have 2 of, Whitfield, Grundy, Toumpas, Wines, Stringer, Mayes, or others who sneek up. Jack will be ours @ the 2nd Rnd or later via trade.

# Edit: spelling

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

http://www.canberrat...0713-221nw.html

It would appear that the games have well and truely began!

From that article:

He backed GWS's young ruck stocks to take over from veteran Dean Bogan when he retired at the end of the season, although he didn't rule out trying to recruit an established replacement as well.

Dean Bogan indeed.

• Like 1

It was still too early for Silvagni to know which players the Giants wanted in the draft, but he had been impressed with two father-son picks in Joe Daniher and Jack Viney

They are clearly tampering with the draft if they select Viney at 1-5 based on current opinion. Maybe the AFL introduce a plan whereby all teams have to submit a ranking system for players 1-30 to avoid this kind of thing.

I honestly don't think they'll go through with it unless they want to draw some serious heat, but then again I can't really see Andy D coming down on them either.

• Like 1

Guest Tom & Jerry

Integrity is worth loads. Think of economic rationalism and the cancerous effect it had when everything was based on what the bean-counters said and human factors or rights-and-wrongs were dismissed.

The public standing of MFC lost a lot, as far as integrity goes, with tanking, throwing away our respected captain because he'd done a hammy, even the style of our play, with its lack of accountability... Then Scully's duplicity further tarnished the image of our club...

We need to distance ourselves from every sort of chicanery and "pragmatism". It would be a very sound investment instead to prioritise at any cost a culture of integrity.

We do not do an Adelaide at the tribunal. We do not try to set up Visy deals or go corporate lawyers and accountants to find an edge. We actually make a success without having cheats of any description on our list. We are not drawn into the Sheedy-style [censored]. Maybe it's a good thing to be told we have turned into an old-fashioned club. We begin to look after our own. Close ranks, and build strength. Norm Smith practised this. And in that vein we take Viney - of course we do - he's OURS.

As to the calculation of his size and speed and the length of his kick - grow up! (Barassi was of indeterminate size and not especially quick, the son of a former player. But didn't the qualities that he did have outweigh the measurables! - and in a number of ways similar to what we hear JV's assets are. I can't wait to see Jack Viney running out for us.)

I can't believe some on here, FFS leave the kid alone. Todd was one of my favorites and hard as, Jack will be just like Toddy, & bleeds Red & Blue. Just take him.

• Like 1

I can't believe some on here, FFS leave the kid alone. Todd was one of my favorites and hard as, Jack will be just like Toddy, & bleeds Red & Blue. Just take him.

you talkin t' me??

Edited by robbiefrom13

It was still too early for Silvagni to know which players the Giants wanted in the draft, but he had been impressed with two father-son picks in Joe Daniher and Jack Viney

They are clearly tampering with the draft if they select Viney at 1-5 based on current opinion. Maybe the AFL introduce a plan whereby all teams have to submit a ranking system for players 1-30 to avoid this kind of thing.

I honestly don't think they'll go through with it unless they want to draw some serious heat, but then again I can't really see Andy D coming down on them either.

Viney is easily considered top 5 on talent or within that reach, where do you think he ranks?

Schwab was interviewed on SEN before the game and reiterated that the club would not take any player, including Jack, ahead of where he's rated. Now you can all disbelieve him, but right now that is the club's stance.

We all want Jack, we're all on the same page, but the club won't pay "overs". I don't think we'll need to.

With pick 3 & 4 we would be morons not to trade first pick if GC or GWS bid- which I still think they will unless we do a deal with them. Forget the fact that he is F/S for a moment, how much does our midfield need a lead by example, extracting, bullocking, ready to go youngster.

It's all poker.

The club is clearly bluffing but I am happy for them to do so and I hope it works. GWS seem to not believe it but if we can put any doubt in their minds whatsoever it may be enough, Of course we may end up 17th or 18th (although unlikely) which would make it even more interesting or conversely redundant.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

• 2 weeks later...

If someone is insane enough to risk their 1 or 2 pick on him then I say let them have him. He isn't going to be rated that highly given that he's lost half a season and missed a fair chunk of the carnival (and AA selection). There will be many higher rated players in the draft.

The above being the case, I feel that I should say also that I love JV and really hope to see him in the red and blue next year. I just think it is more important to the club to stand their ground and not be caught bluffing or waste our early picks.

I agree with this....... Effectively Viney would be serving us picks 2 & 3..... I'd love to have Viney but if any of the clubs below us bid for him, they can have him......

I agree with this....... Effectively Viney would be serving us picks 2 & 3..... I'd love to have Viney but if any of the clubs below us bid for him, they can have him......

If they did, We could trade hard to get him back next year, or 2014.

We could let one of Toumpas or Grundy slide to Port in a Boak deal, if Port have the next pick behind us.

Let me just put on record that I've changed my mind. At one point I was leaning to the view that we shouldn't overpay, or be forced into an inferior position by another club. If our bluff was called then so be it. I've thought long and hard about it and reckon we must take Viney. He's the best inside mid in the draft, he has oodles of leadership and the F/S selection shouldn't be sneezed at. His single mindedness will help drive the culture at the club.

I won't criticise the club for whatever decision they make, but I do think it will be a mistake if Viney isn't at the MFC next year. I see no point in arguing my position with others, as I've had sympathy with the alternative view. I just wanted to clarify a position.

Let me just put on record that I've changed my mind. At one point I was leaning to the view that we shouldn't overpay, or be forced into an inferior position by another club. If our bluff was called then so be it. I've thought long and hard about it and reckon we must take Viney. He's the best inside mid in the draft, he has oodles of leadership and the F/S selection shouldn't be sneezed at. His single mindedness will help drive the culture at the club.

I won't criticise the club for whatever decision they make, but I do think it will be a mistake if Viney isn't at the MFC next year. I see no point in arguing my position with others, as I've had sympathy with the alternative view. I just wanted to clarify a position.

Are you running for election?

• Like 1

Thing is, it's impossible for us to "overpay" for something we so desperately need. Glad you came back around!

Are you running for election?

If you'd changed an opinion that you'd previously held and posted would you share such a decision from the outset ?

You should only hope that my type ran for public office and perhaps you wouldn't be paying for the cost of power you are because of a do nothing tax.

Btw, who are you ?

If you'd changed an opinion that you'd previously held and posted would you share such a decision from the outset ?

You should only hope that my type ran for public office and perhaps you wouldn't be paying for the cost of power you are because of a do nothing tax.

Btw, who are you ?

Save us all please Ben Hur.

We need big strong guys like you to stick up for us against those......

big strong greenies that are trying to stop the planet from turning into a garbage tip.

Stand up for those poor miners like Twiggy ,Gina and Clive-they know they way to live

and they will save us all.

Your poor twit.

• Like 2

Save us all please Ben Hur.

We need big strong guys like you to stick up for us against those......

big strong greenies that are trying to stop the planet from turning into a garbage tip.

Stand up for those poor miners like Twiggy ,Gina and Clive-they know they way to live

and they will save us all.

Your poor twit.

Biff, as you know I already thought you were a gene short of a moron, but I under sold you.

Fundamental misunderstanding of both the science of climate change and economics as a driver of change in the economy, if you think the carbon tax is a "do nothing tax".

I'd stick to footy if I were you.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 1

On Jack, I have faith in the FD to sort out getting him second round or honestly assessing if we should take him at pick 3 should we have to.

Too hard for me to assess him versus the other choices available at pick 3. Tough call for his dad to have to make/be involved in.

Doubt they'll bid.

GWS most likely will finish last and will wont risk missing Lachie or Grundy.

GC will consider trading for an u17 with there first pick, so they wont risk bidding on Viney either as they ll want that pick available to trade with.

We'll be ok, the benefits of them bidding does not compare to the risk.

• Like 2