WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JIMMY TOUMPAS

Toumpas a big NO from me.

Far too much probability of go home factor against this kid if my mail is right!

WINES WINES AND WINES without a moment's hesitation.

What exactly are you trying to say?

but that aside ...............

these considerations would be why we passed on N. Natanui, n'est-ce pas?

I know I'm not the first to say this, but is it possible that when Melbourne handed over pick 3 and 13 for Hogan and Barry that there was talk of making certain Toumpas was still around at pick 4 ?

I don't think so.......I think that they are very keen to get Wines.....Just my opinion.....

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

I know I'm not the first to say this, but is it possible that when Melbourne handed over pick 3 and 13 for Hogan and Barry that there was talk of making certain Toumpas was still around at pick 4 ?

I think it's very possible. If we're thinking it, you can bet the FD canvassed it, if not actually tried it on.

5 long days to wait ...

Guest Spirit of 39

A gentleman's agreement? We can only hope.

Is GWS midfield really that good? Or going to be? No doubt they've got some gems in there but I can't see why any team wouldn't want Whitfield and Toumpas if they had a crack at both. Then you're definitely going to have an outstanding midfield.

Their forward line is set, and when that midfield fires I wouldn't even worry who the 6 defenders are.

Just seems madness to me to secure 1, 2 and 3 and not use it on the top talent.

If however we get Toumpas, I'm GWS new best friend.

Is GWS midfield really that good? Or going to be? No doubt they've got some gems in there but I can't see why any team wouldn't want Whitfield and Toumpas if they had a crack at both. Then you're definitely going to have an outstanding midfield.

Their forward line is set, and when that midfield fires I wouldn't even worry who the 6 defenders are.

Just seems madness to me to secure 1, 2 and 3 and not use it on the top talent.

If however we get Toumpas, I'm GWS new best friend.

Ward, Greene, Treloar, Coniglio, Shiel, Adams, Tyson, Scully, Whitfield, Hoskin-Elliott, Palmer

And other young mids that they'd have in the wings, such as Golds, plus more first round picks in this draft. You can see why they'd like Plowman, as their defence needs bolstering, and Menzel is a super talented forward in the Stevie J mould, but with a knee query.

They may well take Toumpas, but you can mount an argument why they'd like to round out their list with other top-end talent.

Ward, Greene, Treloar, Coniglio, Shiel, Adams, Tyson, Scully, Whitfield, Hoskin-Elliott, Palmer

And other young mids that they'd have in the wings, such as Golds, plus more first round picks in this draft. You can see why they'd like Plowman, as their defence needs bolstering, and Menzel is a super talented forward in the Stevie J mould, but with a knee query.

They may well take Toumpas, but you can mount an argument for why they'd like to round out their list with other top-end talent.

Well I hope that argument wins.

You've ruined my next 5 days, it would have been much easier just staying convinced we were taking Wines.

• Like 1

You've ruined my next 5 days, it would have been much easier just staying convinced we were taking Wines.

I for one am grateful that it's suddenly interesting again. Being group-thought in to knowing who our only early pick was, followed by a whole bunch of who gives a shite for the rest of the draft wasn't a recipe for wetting my pants with excitement.

Excuse me while I go change my pants.

That said, I do still think the "agreement with GWS" thing is crackpot and if we do happen to land Toumpas it will be purely good fortune (another KotD), but I have more faith now that this is a possibility than I did last week.

• Like 3

Does anyone know much about his hip injury? Is it something that has a high success rate of full recovery following surgery or is it something that could hang around. In one of the write ups it was said to effect his speed. Aside from this he sounds like the perfect pick up for our side and will comlement Viney well.

Some of the arguments for Toumpas are pretty convincing. I've moved from "Wines will be a star for us" to "I'm glad it's not my decision".

• Like 1

Does anyone know much about his hip injury? Is it something that has a high success rate of full recovery following surgery or is it something that could hang around. In one of the write ups it was said to effect his speed. Aside from this he sounds like the perfect pick up for our side and will comlement Viney well.

I've had the same procedure, along with most players in the AFL. It's more a prevention thing to make sure the ball of your hip fits perfectly into the socket mitigating wear and tear down the line. It the reason why you rarely hear of osteitis pubis anymore, they found the cause so they prevent it to avoid needing to cure.

Absolutely not a problem.

• Like 2

I thought all along that GWS would go lachie, Grundy and Toumpas but then along came the Tippett issue and I changed my mind on Grundy. Now there is speculation they will overlook Toumpas.

I am confused and have no idea now what will happen other than to assume it's Wines unless Toumpas is available. We will soon know.

I've had the same procedure, along with most players in the AFL. It's more a prevention thing to make sure the ball of your hip fits perfectly into the socket mitigating wear and tear down the line. It the reason why you rarely hear of osteitis pubis anymore, they found the cause so they prevent it to avoid needing to cure.

Absolutely not a problem.

Thanks,

It was a worry that the write up in another thread said he had lost some pace this year. His output still look very good though. If there are no worries with this he seems exactly the player we need more so than wines. And if we are after wines because of the link to Viney he also seems to have a high regard for toumpas naming him as having the best leadership credentials in the draft and the would have played together in the SA side.

Prendergast is gone, mate.

The days of the club making stupid decisions are also gone.

If Toumpas is available at pick 4 I don't believe Melbourne would overlook him. It would be sheer madness.

I don't think we would have ever picked up a player like Oliver Wines with Prendergast at the helm.

I just reckon there is a good chance that given Wines' style of play and his desire to play for the Dees Neeld could have him penciled in at 4 regardless. As well as his being mates with JV and the whole building a close knit team etc.

Prendergast is gone, mate.

The days of the club making stupid decisions are also gone.

If Toumpas is available at pick 4 I don't believe Melbourne would overlook him. It would be sheer madness.

Hells Gate has mentioned a number of times no matter who is still on the board at 4 if Wines is he will be a Dee. Hells does have some connections around the club if I recall.

Hells Gate has mentioned a number of times no matter who is still on the board at 4 if Wines is he will be a Dee. Hells does have some connections around the club if I recall.

I reckon he's wrong.

Also, does anyone know of a Draft night last week. A Richmond supporter on BF posted the following to me after I asserted that we wouldn't overlook Toumpas if he was available:

"Demons draft night on Thursday suggested Toumpas would be taken ahead of Wines if they get the choice"

Like me you'd be thinking how would a Richmond supporter know what was discussed at a Melbourne draft meeting. The poster has been on BF since 2003 and isn't known for their trolling.

The only reason I can fathom as to why GWS would pass on Toumpas is that they may be slightly concerned about his injuries. Surgery to both hips is slightly alarming for an 18 year old and considering they have a wealth of top end midfield talent may possibly lead to the Dees getting the most complete midfielder in the draft.

It's hard for me to see Wines, as being any better than Moloney or Daniel Rich..... I might be wrong, but he could end up slow..... Like McLean and Moloney......

We'd be mad to pass on Toumpas, if he's available...... For midfield balance alone.....

• Like 1

It's hard for me to see Wines, as being any better than Moloney or Daniel Rich..... I might be wrong, but he could end up slow..... Like McLean and Moloney......

We'd be mad to pass on Toumpas, if he's available...... For midfield balance alone.....

Wines has run 2.98 seconds for the 20 metre sprint. That's considered to be a very good time, so I doubt he'll be slow. There seems to be a mentality on forums that if you're a strongly built inside mid you're likely to be a plodder. Some are and some aren't.

Also, perhaps I overrate Rich, but I reckon he's become a terrific footballer. I know he's not highly rated by many, but I'm happy to go against the grain.

• Like 1

Wines has run 2.98 seconds for the 20 metre sprint. That's considered to be a very good time, so I doubt he'll be slow. There seems to be a mentality on forums that if you're a strongly built inside mid you're likely to be a plodder. Some are and some aren't.

Also, perhaps I overrate Rich, but I reckon he's become a terrific footballer. I know he's not highly rated by many, but I'm happy to go against the grain.

i like Rich too..... I just can't see Wines being any better....

I'd be happy ether way we go.... Can't lose.....

I actually think Stinger is the best all round player in this draft.....