Will Martin get his chance back or will they give Cook a go....

Hells Gates

Anyone here remember a guy called Green? He reckoned on the weekend that he'll be right to go this week. So, I reckon he should come in for Mitch. Green, Rivers, Garland, Sylvia & Davey oughta be able to get the job done between them...

I too recon Green if right. Can take a mark and/or bring the ball to ground. we just need a target down there!

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As

He has the potential!!!!

At least Holland booted 4 in one game, more than our no.1 KPF draft pick! :lol:

Cooky will be fine, I just don't like Martin as a key forward, but if thats whats best for the side then so be it.

I'd rather see Martin at CHB and Tom Mc up forward. I'll leave it for Neeldy, its good he's starting to get some variation.

hopefully Nick rather than Ben

I think it was Josh Mahony that may have alluded Martin will get his chance this weekend.

Green is still a week or more away I would think.

It could work out, last time Martin had to shoulder responsibility he did it with aplomb.

I think it was Josh Mahony that may have alluded Martin will get his chance this weekend.

Green is still a week or more away I would think.

It could work out, last time Martin had to shoulder responsibility he did it with aplomb.

As a ruckman, not a key forward.

Most posters seem to be overlooking the fact that Stef Martin can't hit the side of a barn door with his kicking for goal. It's all well and good being a big body but if you can't convert in the forward line, you shouldn't be there.

Green back in as a medium marking forward for mine.

• Like 3

Most posters seem to be overlooking the fact that Stef Martin can't hit the side of a barn door with his kicking for goal. It's all well and good being a big body but if you can't convert in the forward line, you shouldn't be there.

Green back in as a medium marking forward for mine.

Who takes second ruck then? I believe the need for Sellar having continuity in defence trumps any weaknesses Martin may have as a forward.
  • Like 5

Who takes second ruck then? I believe the need for Sellar having continuity in defence trumps any weaknesses Martin may have as a forward.

Agree with this - someone's got to take the 2nd ruck load. Sellar did it on the weekend but he's been progressing well in the backline and frees Rivers forward which is good. Martin is the candidate - I don't have much faith in his KPF abilities but he needs to be given a chance. Sellar is the only realistic alternative - maybe Martin and Sellar can swap roles in a couple of weeks if Martin doesn't work out forward. Cook and McDonald cannot be expected to ruck and you can't expect Sellar to ruck from the backline. Cook plays WITH the second ruckman forward.

• Like 1

At the moment Neeld is trying to introduce a hardness to the side and I think he'll replace Clark with someone who is hard at the ball and doesn't mind putting their body on the line; if he is going to introduce a youngster it would be more than likely Davis.

Neeld has options. He could elect to move Sellar forward, bring Davis in and occasionally swing Sellar to the ruck and Jamar forward or off for short stints on bench.

He could bring in Martin for the forward role/ruck like Clark/Jamar.

As much as I would like to see Cook in (and I'd bring him in for Dunn personally), I don't think it will happen this week. Dunn is on 90 games, with 10 games left. He's been sub quite a few times.

For the record Bate is on 98 and it's Trengove's 50th game this week against the Lions. Green who is currently out is on 247.

• Like 1

Neeld has options. He could elect to move Sellar forward, bring Davis in and occasionally swing Sellar to the ruck and Jamar forward or off for short stints on bench.

He could bring in Martin for the forward role/ruck like Clark/Jamar.

As much as I would like to see Cook in (and I'd bring him in for Dunn personally), I don't think it will happen this week. Dunn is on 90 games, with 10 games left. He's been sub quite a few times.

For the record Bate is on 98 and it's Trengove's 50th game this week against the Lions. Green who is currently out is on 247.

We gotta stay with Dunn this week best game for a long time and shouldnt be the sub really like his game made a difference all over the park

• Like 1

It's a shocking situation - the only lining is that it will give full exposure to Martin and Sellar and enable more informed decisions at the end of the year. It will also promote Rivers and Garland forward experiments and may indirectly give Troy Davis exposure back.

I agree Nash, we need to settle Sellar back, as much as possible. IMO we don't want to unsettle the backline too much with Riv & Garlo forward. No smashings.

But we do need an Avenue to goal.

Maybe it will only be Martin in. Davis may missout.

MFC site says Cook is only 81kg, Clark 99 & Martin 103. We need a BIG man up forward who can PLAY (& ruck a little) so surely it's Martin.

I have a theory on why I LOVE his potential, am disappointed in his skills & application, & think he needs a rocket:

They say Martin is very, very intelligent, studying this & that at Uni or wherever.

I wish he'd do much less of that & much more of what he's paid to do: please focus his concentration on becoming an elite footballer!

Often on field Martin seems unsure what to do, which means, for an intelligent full time professional, he's been devoting way insufficient mental concentration to the game. His mind should be full of abstractions about how to handle all kinds of on field situations (eg. where to go & what to do in various scenarios as a KPF).

He has ALL the physical attributes of size, athleticism, speed, agility etc. but plays like someone who's never really learnt to be an elite, SMART, skilled player.

It's frustrating because he has such elite potential!

Thanks for your consideration.

Edited by Rob Mac......

Martin isn't a great forward but as Donald Rumsfeld once said - 'you go to war with the army you have, not the army you wish to have.'

I quote him quite a bit...

Anyway, the point is that you can handwring all you like about Martin and our likely forward line for the rest of the season - it's all about making the best of a terrible situation.

• Like 1

MFC site says Cook is only 81kg, Clark 99 & Martin 103. We need a BIG man up forward who can PLAY (& ruck a little) so surely it's Martin.

I have a theory on why I LOVE his potential, am disappointed in his skills & application, & think he needs a rocket:

They say Martin is very, very intelligent, studying this & that at Uni or wherever.

I wish he'd do much less of that & much more of what he's paid to do: please focus his concentration on becoming an elite footballer!

Often on field Martin seems unsure what to do, which means, for an intelligent full time professional, he's been devoting way insufficient mental concentration to the game. His mind should be full of abstractions about how to handle all kinds of on field situations (eg. where to go & what to do in various scenarios as a KPF).

He has ALL the physical attributes of size, athleticism, speed, agility etc. but plays like someone who's never really learnt to be an elite, SMART, skilled player.

FYI the MFC players weights havent been updated for a long time. It also has Watts as 91kg when he is only 89kg. Cook is now 86kg and so on... Games/goals get updated, not sure why they dont update the rest.

I am not certain what he does in his spare time but if he is doing some uni subjects then that is much better than what I know some of the other boys get up to in their spare time.

I consider this unwarranted criticism.

• Like 1

FYI the MFC players weights havent been updated for a long time. It also has Watts as 91kg when he is only 89kg. Cook is now 86kg and so on... Games/goals get updated, not sure why they dont update the rest.

Thanks HG! I knew they rarely updated & am now relieved to know Cooks put on a few kg recently!

My main point however was that I suspect Martin has HUGE potential that's not being realised due to lack of mental focus on footy.

• Like 1

I think he overthinks things. He has too much brain and too little instinct. When he forgets to think about it and just plays it all seems to work for him. Unfortunately, it makes his set shots a real liability, because that is when he has a good 30 seconds to overthink and get himself in a tangle.

I am not certain what he does in his spare time but if he is doing some uni subjects then that is much better than what I know some of the other boys get up to in their spare time.

I consider this unwarranted criticism.

So what are you thinking please rpfc when posters say Martin's running around not appearing to know where to go or what to do when at CHF, even though he has a perfect body & athleticism to star at CHF?

Don't you think a player of his supposed great intelligence, who's just a bit bigger all round than Franklin & very fast, might benefit from putting a lot of time into leaning to be a KPF?

So what are you thinking please rpfc when posters say Martin's running around not appearing to know where to go or what to do when at CHF, even though he has a perfect body & athleticism to star at CHF?

Don't you think a player of his supposed great intelligence, who's just a bit bigger all round than Franklin & very fast, might benefit from putting a lot of time into leaning to be a KPF?

Wait, you are making it sound like if Stefan just spent a few more hours at AAMI Park he could be as good as Franklin...

lol

The guy has a high IQ but that doesn't mean he has a high footy IQ.

Frankly, I find that athletes moving into AFL learn more about the game while they are playing.

I posted this in another thread yesterday, but this is probably a better place for it.

Martin needs to wise up quick smart and sort things out. I've heard that despite his intelligence, he's a dumb footballer. Can't or won't take instructions and takes criticism poorly. He doesn't get Neeld's game plan - runs into the wrong positions and brings his opponent into play too often. This results in a tendency to go into his shell.

If the season ended now he'd be on the trade table.

• Like 2