Way too early for this call but I understand the sentiment.

Jack had his standard 4 or 5 soft efforts but one stood out to me that I didn't notice at first, which ended up costing us a goal.

Bail's switch of play to Watts was a shocking decision in the first place, but Watts sensed Robinson coming and instead of jumping for the mark and attacking the ball, he took a couple of steps backward to avoid any body contact. Bruise free football right there.

He wasn't on his own today.

" In the same quarter he chose not to go for a mark about 30 metres out for goal when he had a perfect run at it and would have jumped over the other people pushing and shoving"

yep

" but Watts sensed Robinson coming and instead of jumping for the mark and attacking the ball, he took a couple of steps backward to avoid any body contact. Bruise free football right there."

yep

And a few others too.

I'm a fan and I think he's the best user of the ball we have (maybe Clark) - but both those occasions reinforce the view of those who think that he's soft.

Compare and contrast young Tom MacDonald - same shape body - but wants the contest

Don't want Watts to be J Brown, but has to go when it's his turn... when it's his turn

• Like 1

If we put him on the trade table is there any chance we can package a deal with west coast to get Nik nat?

This is part of the point, why when Melbourne has been down so long pick a player they have to put time in to as opposed to Nic Nat who was a ready to play player. and at the time Jamar wasa spud and if White was still there I can't remember was

Even though Nic Nat never had high possessions he was always a stand out, and also he can put bums on seats which is what Melbourne needs to attract young supporters.

The last real draw card we had was probably Jeff farmer.

Stupid thread and OP.

Couple of efforts today were weak, otherwise he was pretty good.

The guys is barely 21. How about having a crack at any one of Jamar, Moloney, Frawley, Garland, Sellar, Bennell, who are older and were far worse today.

Get a grip, this Watts bashing should have passed by now and this thread is as weak as the 2 poor efforts by the man himself today.

• Like 6

Shouldn't get seduced by stats when he is playing lose. His intensity and competiveness are unacceptable. How many times he Just coast past a contest. We sure know how to pick em. Another one with all the talent in the world without the drive to reach the levels expected.

Honestly mate, no one was playing loose today it was man on man. Watts was ok he got a fair bit of ball and when he gets the ball he hits targets, 87% disposal efficiency again today. He is the least of our problems.

• Like 1

I think that one of the problems with using your brain while playing footy is that you identify options, weigh them up and then select what you think is the best one to execute. When you're young, a greater proportion of these are probably going to be wrong. Jack Watts usually makes pretty good decisions - but not always. How on the one hand can we criticism our players for all flying for a mark, then immediately slag two (well, one really because JW was singled out) of them for trying to crumb! It's not rational. Anyway, it's also about learning from mistakes and my guess is that it will be talked about in the post-mortem.

Honestly mate, no one was playing loose today it was man on man. Watts was ok he got a fair bit of ball and when he gets the ball he hits targets, 87% disposal efficiency again today. He is the least of our problems.

I understand he is a great user but he shirks it so many times a game we don't even mention it anymore. It's just expected.

• Like 1

Mitch Robinson - 3rd round pick(no. 40) 2008 draft. 33 disposals and 3 goals and consensus BOG in an undermanned winning team by 10 goals.

Cale Morton - Pick 4 2007 Draft. Dropped for todays game.

Jack Watts - Pick 1 2008 Draft. 23 disposals, but just an average game.

Jack Trengove - Pick 2 2009 Draft. 14 disposals in a poor display.

Where did it all go wrong for us?

This is part of the point, why when Melbourne has been down so long pick a player they have to put time in to as opposed to Nic Nat who was a ready to play player. and at the time Jamar wasa spud and if White was still there I can't remember was

Even though Nic Nat never had high possessions he was always a stand out, and also he can put bums on seats which is what Melbourne needs to attract young supporters.

The last real draw card we had was probably Jeff farmer.

Has everyone on this forum forgotten about Liam Jurrah?

Yeah lets trade Watts and keep someone like Dunn and Sellar. That will fix all our problems! With more pressure on the back line then ever before in AFL and when playing down back in a bad team it would be bloody tough and Jack whilst not brilliant hasn't disgraced himself at all. We need his decision making and skills down back and we he has the pill I trust him with the footy. I am really liking him down back and let's not moan about him being loose. How much time does Scarlett spend on his opponent?

Jack is described as laconic, but I'm gonna call him soft. Twice today he failed to make body conatct when he absolutely should have. Example one was the Mitch Inbred interception where he hung back and the second was in the last quarter where he sat off the back of a pack and let Warnock (I think it was) take an uncontested mark. These sort of efforts need to be eradicated from his game.

I am definitely not saying trade Watts, or that there is no hope for him. After three years of watching him I am left with an important question - how can we add intensity and aggression into his game? With them he could be a superstar: without them another also-ran.

• Like 2

Such a ridiculous op. So, so silly it beggars belief. Watts played another pretty good game of AFL footy. If you look at his last 20 odd games he has been one of most consistent players at the clun in terms of performance. Full stop. Did he make mistakes today. Yes. But again he is not alone. Was he soft?. I don't think so. He got his share of contested ball, went back with the flight a few times and got some hard balls. Used the ball incredibally skillfully a couple of times in close - even the Channel 7 commentators noted it.

A peer of his is Hurley. I'd rather Watts any day, so much more upside. Hurley was poor against GWS. I know he's coming back from a hammy but he was poor before he did his hammy. He will also be a top player but he will do so without any of the hate JW receives.

Also he is playing back, another new position for him to master. How many roles has he had this year and how many positions has he been asked to play? People knock him yet he has not had a chance to settle in one role.

And as much as it pains me to say Trengove was taken no 2 in his draft IIRC. Has been made captain, I reckon he is a good player but Watts's numbers this year slay his unfortunately. I'm not saying knock Trengove but if people are realistic they'd be questioning Trengove before they ask questions of Watts. Watts is our only elite level kick and hand baller. Hand balling and kicking. The two most fundamental skills of the game and JW excels at both. Add his ability to read the play and you have a pretty complete package.

Not playing AFL footy in 2 years? So, so silly

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

I am definitely not saying trade Watts, or that there is no hope for him. After three years of watching him I am left with an important question - how can we add intensity and aggression into his game? With them he could be a superstar: without them another also-ran.

This is the problem, it's in your make up you can not teach this.

This club will never get anywhere if we made a decision like this. Whilst I agree he needs to develop an appetite for the harder contest, he's easily the best kick in our team and developing nicely. As long as Neeld doesn't do what Bailey did and baby him, he'll develop that thirst for body contact and then he'll be an A grader in two years.

• Like 2

This is the problem, it's in your make up you can not teach this.

Rubbish. Green didn't use to have an iota of hardness, but over a few preseasons, he learnt it.

Far too narrow-minded that comment.

• Like 1

And he cost us a goal in the first quarter. Had the chance to make a contest with robinson but chose to sit back and wait for the footy to arrive. Sure it was a bad kick but still. Pathetic effort which cost us 6 points

Melbourne put him up for trade at seasons end or whenever r his contract is up.

He has no passion for the game or contest, looks like he is in slow motion no urgency as well as this he needs to be selfish and go for it, to many times goes for the team option when it is not needed.

Has shown nothing since being on our list,.

Why keep him for another two years hoping he will come good , trade him off while he may be worth something.

Otherwise we keep him till he even realises he hasn't got what it takes and is totally worthless.

Before every one starts sprouting rubbish that big guys take longer to develop is aloud of crap,we don't have time.

He seems like a nice guy and I hope he proves me wrong,but He won't.

It's very rare when I say this, as I do like debate and other people's opinions, but shut this rubbish thread down!

• Like 4