Guest José Mourinho

I didn't hear Cam Mooney on the radio with Harford a couple of days ago, but my Brother just told me about their conversation with regards to Watts. Mooney stated that Watts had more talent in his little finger than himself, but that his lack of intensity at contests will make, or break him. He stated that Watts had to play like his life depended on it and that he had to do it for every minute of every game. He said that was the requirement for modern footy in 2012. Harford asked whether you can develop that type of effort if it doesn't come naturally. He added that he didn't think you could. Mooney disagreed and said that you can develop it, but if he doesn't he won't make it.

It pretty much sums up my views. Can Watts develop his effort and intensity and put his body on the line like his life depended on it for every game he plays ? I doubt it, Jose doesn't, and Deonox doesn't think he needs to. I know who I hope is right.

Yeah, I was in the car and heard that too.

I actually respect Mooney's opinion and some of the things he says are insightful.

He also said he'd play Watts at CHB.

Mooney came off as confident Watts would develop his intensity, but yes, he was adamant that if he doesn't, he will fall by the wayside.

Can we please find a new whipping boy and just let Jack develop. All the naysayers pick up on every mistake he makes, and say he will never make it, all the pro watts people pick up on every good thing he does and say he will be a star some day. How about we just sit back and see what happens. He will have good days and bad the same as every player in the AFL. We all want him to be a champion right now but he is a young man still learning his craft as all 21 year olds in the AFL are doing.

Weather he 'gets it' will become apparent in the next few years. When one side can say "I told you so'.

Just read through Cale Morton's interview on the MFC site, it gives you an insite to what our club is like now and what is was like. These young talented guys we have on our list have not been coached, managed, driven at anywhere near AFL standards. It is only now with the new coaching team these players are learning what is required to give them a chance to be the best AFL players they can.

• Like 1

Dolts like Biffen (sic) still think he'll be a 'star', so let's analyse your options.

So good of you to so humbly give us our "options". I for one fall in with the dolts, for all the reasons i detailed earlier in this thread (way back in the mists of time), which i can't be bothered going back over.

So i will make some predictions instead.

Watts will prove to be an inspired choice as number 1.

He will develop gradually (roughly on the same trajectory as he had done so far, perhaps a bit more sharply with Neelds help) over the next 3 seasons, during which time these arguments will persist.

His intensity will improve as it did last year.

By the time he is 25 he will be selected in the All Australian team and be a regular selection thereafter (something we have not had since Flower).

He will play multiple positions (as Neeld has already flagged), including key positions (possibly at both ends of the ground) and the questions over his best position will continue, but more and more the discussion will be more along the lines off "well they just need 2 watts"

His intelligence will become a feature highlighted more and more by commentators

He will grow into a leadership role and end up being a key mentor and role model for younger players

Edited by binman
  • Like 4

Jack watts has all the skill to be a star and will get there. He is going to be a star in the middle of the ground that pushes forward to kick goals IMPO his skills are perfect as an outside running mid and has a great tank. When he grows into a man he might even go inside and outside, his marking and kicking for goal are as good as there is. I think Jack should mould his game on scott pendalbury as they both have a basketball background and are about the same height i think? Jack is 21 and as a big man he should start to really come on in the next 2 or 3 years. With the coaching of mark neeld jack could be a star that is the number 1 man in the game in 2015 i have no worry saying he will be top 10 just like when he was number 1 when ran around at 17 in the TAC cup. Lets give the kid a go and stop thinking he should be killing it at the age of 21 after being with bailey and the worst football department in recent history of all the clubs. Cale morton is now showing that with real coaching he might well earn his pick 4 and make alot of MFC fans eat there words and i know im bloody happy it's not to late for the qualtiy kids we have picked to show there worth as AFL players. The MFC has a new look and for me it looks like we finally have the right coaching staff in place to bring some joy back to all us loyal demonlanders. Cheers

So good of you to so humbly give us our "options". I for one fall in with the dolts, for all the reasons i detailed earlier in this thread (way back in the mists of time), which i can't be bothered going back over.

So i will make some predictions instead.

Watts will prove to be an inspired choice as number 1.

He will develop gradually (roughly on the same trajectory as he had done so far, perhaps a bit more sharply with Neelds help) over the next 3 seasons, during which time these arguments will persist.

His intensity will improve as it did last year.

By the time he is 25 he will be selected in the All Australian team and be a regular selection thereafter (something we have not had since Flower).

He will play multiple positions (as Neeld has already flagged), including key positions (possibly at both ends of the ground) and the questions over his best position will continue, but more and more the discussion will be more along the lines off "well they just need 2 watts"

His intelligence will become a feature highlighted more and more by commentators

He will grow into a leadership role and end up being a key mentor and role model for younger players

Yayyyyy

Watts has to make it for this club to have any chance of a premiership in the next 8 years. I'd say he'll be driven as hard as Neeld and co can drive him and probably harder. As I see it here's only 2 outcomes with Jack. The first is he makes it, the second is he falls by the wayside and becomes another waste of talent. I don't think the coaches will let him sit comfortably in the middle and nor they should.

Can Watts develop his effort and intensity and put his body on the line like his life depended on it for every game he plays ?

I often wonder about where to draw a line with this. Jonathon Brown looks all awesome and tough as he leaves the field with a bloodied face and broken facial bones each year but is that of ultimate benefit to his side?

This idea that anything less than a willingness to cripple yourself is deemed 'soft' is overrated imo.

• Like 2

I often wonder about where to draw a line with this. Jonathon Brown looks all awesome and tough as he leaves the field with a bloodied face and broken facial bones each year but is that of ultimate benefit to his side?

This idea that anything less than a willingness to cripple yourself is deemed 'soft' is overrated imo.

I don't think JW would ever play like a JB - he doesn't have the presence.

Brown set the tone early in his career.

The time at Casey will be the best thing for him, make him address all the KPIs that are needed to make the grade of al Afl KPP

I would leave him there for 3-4 weeks to make him burn to want to play at senior level or until he starts playing the way Neeld wants him to

Kid was brought in too early! He needed to serve his apprenticeship & ensure he had ticks on all the KPIs. Michael Tuck played 50 games in the seconds which was a requirement with Hawthorn at the time,sounds old fashion but maybe players get it too easy with all the hype of the draft.

Not having a crack at Watts just want him to succeed

Watts has to make it for this club to have any chance of a premiership in the next 8 years. I'd say he'll be driven as hard as Neeld and co can drive him and probably harder. As I see it here's only 2 outcomes with Jack. The first is he makes it, the second is he falls by the wayside and becomes another waste of talent. I don't think the coaches will let him sit comfortably in the middle and nor they should.

That's the perceived problem with Jack Watts in a nutshell.

Nobody will let him play his own game because they all think he could be anything.

Eventually ,he will be a 250 plus game player and hopefully ,a very successful one.

He will be a forward one day but currently he can play "anywhere on the park" so that's how he's been used.

We haven't exactly had the luxury of plopping him in the forward pocket for a few hangers and goals.

No matter what you think of Watts, at least we didn't draft Greg Oden:

http://www.grantland...-plagued-career

I was going to make some hilarious gag about us drafting footballers and not basketballers before it occurred to me that we have 3 highly rated ex-basketballers on our list. What's Oden got planned for 2013? :P

I don't think JW would ever play like a JB - he doesn't have the presence.

Brown set the tone early in his career.

James Brown really invented funk and probably disco.

It's unfair to compare the 2 yet .

Jack Watts doesn't even have an album out .

True - but with Jack's good looks, he will easily outsell Peter McKenna's single.

Like this "superb" little number . Any more than 1 minute in and you'd have to question your own sanity .

Of course , he's also famous for being replaced by an "Ostrich" .

Like this "superb" little number . Any more than 1 minute in and you'd have to question your own sanity .

Of course , he's also famous for being replaced by an "Ostrich" .

Bloody hell - you've just surfaced some suppressed memories here.

The scary thing is that I think I remember actually watching this episode.....(pulls security blanket tighter towards him)

Peter McKenna always had the perfect face for radio.

Before my time but I've seen the footage and he had a good style .

Having been lucky enough to play on the same field as him; that luck was quickly removed when he was playing on the other team. Kicked 10 of the best goals I've ever seen. Will be a star but will take time. I'm willing to wait for it.

Oh you mean like they have our other talented players :Davey Silvia et al.

Many people talk of the great character Watts has, in addition, he is the most naturally gifted player on our list IMO.

I can't help but think that sitting in the stands and watching J.Fitz playing ahead on him may just be the spark he needs to lift his intensity....

Competition for positions is fundamental for team success, Watts needs to be challenged in order to dig deeper. It's hard for most of us to think that playing at the highest level would be incentive enough, unfortunately, for those all-round naturally gifted people sometimes it takes more.

Throw Watts into SAS training from late Sept – Feb, seriously.

The only thing i am convinced about Watts is he will not learn anything at VFL level that he couldnt learn at ALF level

Watts will not get much heavier so all he can do is keep working on his strength and fitness

Has all the skill and attributes of most elite players

Plain and simple he just doesn't work hard enough yet

Edited by Swampfox