The Priority Pick

Hells Gates

I saw this elsewhere. Obviously along way off but on current form and I'm being hopeful could we have pick # 1*,2,3, around 12 + Viney as asecond rounder???

Under the new AFL guidelinesI believe we are easily the most worthy to receive a priority pick at seasons end:

'The new system, which is yet to be finalised, will take into account a number of factors.

They are: a club's premiership points over a period of years; its percentage over a period of years; any finals appearances in recent seasons; any premierships in recent seasons; and club injury rates in each relevant season.'

Our premiership points and percentage have been woeful over a sustained period, zero finals appearances and minimal injuries.Some will say we already have early picks- irrelevant! They relate solely to compensation for Scully and our anticipated lowly finish.

Obviously it's too early to be lobbying at this point as many will hope for more wins on the board, however, given the most likely scenario of finishing near the bottom, our club would be derelict in its duty if it does not go hard on this issue.

My feeling is we wil win 2 or 3 games finishing 17th or 18th. Combined with previous seasons we MUST be given a priority pick. If we don't I doubt that anyone ever will!

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

It all helps I guess.

In this draft, that would be an amazing result.

I think the difference between taking Viney with pick 4 or pick 22 could be bordering on negligible.

• Like 1

Doubt it would happen anyway

The AFL have created a rod for their own back with the arbitrary method they've concocted for priority picks in the future

They can easily deny us one on the basis of 8 wins last year

Then we go on to finish the season with 2 or 3 wins.

We become the bar-setting, precedent establishing level of shiteness that the AFL can reference in future priority pick discussions

Depending on just how crap we finish, they may never have to hand one out again

Well, now that almost every football expert in the land (including the doyen Mike Sheahan) has declared Melbourne an on field basket case it's time for the Demons to consider preparing an application to the AFL for a priority selection at this year's national draft.

Some of you might think that the rules only cater for a priority pick if your club has had two consecutive poor years in a row but I believe there have been some recent changes.

"Under the new system, which will come into effect this year, a more complicated formula will be used, which takes into account premiership points, percentage, finals appearances and injury rates for a club over several seasons. The new formula will make it more unlikely a club will be granted a priority pick after just one poor season, or that a pick will be given before the first round of a draft."

But, if experts such as Sheahan, King, Roos and just about everybody else whose had a say on the club are to be accepted and their views respected, then the Demons constitute a special case because it's likely that the formula will reveal consistent poor performances over six seasons, a low number of premiership points and percentage this season and poor results with no finals appearances since 2006.

Sure, an extra priority pick won't, of itself, be the club's saviour but the experts have spoken and if they're right and the trend continues, the AFL will have to give Melbourne a priority pick.

• Like 3

Guest José Mourinho

Setting the agenda now and I love it.

Time for supporters to hit talkback radio and start campaigning.

We have had more than our fair share of handouts, and have failed badly to utilise them wisely or effectively.

I would much rather we headed the Geelong way: no priority picks, but a player driven campaign to rid them of the handbag label and to play for each other as a relentless hard team.

That of course would require senior players to swallow their false pride, and actually lead the way......sadly that seems a pretty unlikely scenario.

• Like 1

With the draft already looking like 1, 2, 12, 23 (Viney), it would be hard to imagine getting too much more of a leg up. Although, the compo picks should not come into consideration when dealing out these priority picks.

With the draft already looking like 1, 2, 12, 23 (Viney), it would be hard to imagine getting too much more of a leg up. Although, the compo picks should not come into consideration when dealing out these priority picks.

Compo picks certainly shouldn't come into the equation unless wee claim the loss off Scully (our previous compo pick) as part of our campaign.

If we get those picks F, I hope we offer picks 2 and 12 for a star player. Buy a Judd like Carlton did. They tanked but also brought in the elite senior player to help guide the way, the main difference between the two clubs approaches to rebuilding.

Edited by deanox

In the above scenario, wouldn't we have to get Viney at pick 12, assuming the club with pick 3 bids for him?

I dont want to start a new thread, so I'll put it here to start.

Above all else to do with the draft, and I mean everything, and i'll go so far as to say I could not give a rats tossbag about what picks we end up with, so long as we appoint a full time, expirienced, successful, determined and proven recruiter. I know we have Todd Viney in there, but we need the best of the best. Like it or not we will surely have some reasonable picks this year (with or without any priority pick) and we need the right person to pick the best players for Melbourne Football Club.

Matt Rendell is available (according to Age article). We have to get to the bottom of the Misfud thing - but he has runs on the board, will be determined to do well and has icked some beauties in his time. The article also talks about his "ballsiest decision ever" which was to pick Dangerfield over Ebert in the draft. He chose who he thought was the better player not the one that lived in SA with a family name synonomous with SA football. Maybe he would be a good person to have in the team to work out how to deal with the Jack Viney position? Maybe his presence may stop other clubs 'over bidding' for him with dummy bids?

All I want is to be able to have complete confidence that we have the BEST person in charge of picking the players who really may be the last chance we have of getting this club out of the sh*t.

Please MFC, bring in someone, I dont care who, but someone who lives and breathes recruiting. Its too important to ignore and have (with the greaqest respect to Todd) a part timer in Viney in there.

• Like 3

In the above scenario, wouldn't we have to get Viney at pick 12, assuming the club with pick 3 bids for him?

We don't have to use priority picks on viney, so a second rounder will do if we finish bottom, though I can't see that happening at all.

Jack, great thread. You can't have every man and his dog in the media slamming us all year for our ineptitude and then complaining about us receiving extra help when the rules clearly allow for it. So 1, 2, 3, 12 and 23 (viney) it is then.

I dont want to start a new thread, so I'll put it here to start.

Above all else to do with the draft, and I mean everything, and i'll go so far as to say I could not give a rats tossbag about what picks we end up with, so long as we appoint a full time, expirienced, successful, determined and proven recruiter. I know we have Todd Viney in there, but we need the best of the best. Like it or not we will surely have some reasonable picks this year (with or without any priority pick) and we need the right person to pick the best players for Melbourne Football Club.

Matt Rendell is available (according to Age article). We have to get to the bottom of the Misfud thing - but he has runs on the board, will be determined to do well and has icked some beauties in his time. The article also talks about his "ballsiest decision ever" which was to pick Dangerfield over Ebert in the draft. He chose who he thought was the better player not the one that lived in SA with a family name synonomous with SA football. Maybe he would be a good person to have in the team to work out how to deal with the Jack Viney position? Maybe his presence may stop other clubs 'over bidding' for him with dummy bids?

All I want is to be able to have complete confidence that we have the BEST person in charge of picking the players who really may be the last chance we have of getting this club out of the sh*t.

Please MFC, bring in someone, I dont care who, but someone who lives and breathes recruiting. Its too important to ignore and have (with the greaqest respect to Todd) a part timer in Viney in there.

We were tapping up the Collingwood second-in-charge so we will get someone in there, btr.

We were tapping up the Collingwood second-in-charge so we will get someone in there, btr.

Really hope so. Any recruiter would be excited that they get to come somewhere and shape an entire clubs list. They have the most picks in the draft as well. To say it could be a hugely rewarding and challenging post is an understaement of the highest order. Get someone who is up for the task ahead and is in for the long haul.

Guest José Mourinho

We have had more than our fair share of handouts, and have failed badly to utilise them wisely or effectively.

I would much rather we headed the Geelong way: no priority picks, but a player driven campaign to rid them of the handbag label and to play for each other as a relentless hard team.

That of course would require senior players to swallow their false pride, and actually lead the way......sadly that seems a pretty unlikely scenario.

I can't believe that someone can think these things are mutually exclusive...

Take any advantage we can get.

Collingwood doesn't hand back all the games in melbourne, Geelong doesn't request their match against us to be at the G, and Essendon doesn't request less Friday night games to even the balance.

It's simply prudent to act on this.

And high draft picks are as much about character as talent - a priority pick would help forge a new culture.

Like the high picks that acquired grimes & trengove.

• Like 1