Leave this club Colin Sylvia

Ryan Dee

No, stuie, not at all - I'd rather the boy get 10 touches, lay 10 tackles and get 10 effective spoils.

Several times tonight (this arvo) he had the opportunity to run into a hole and perform this role properly, but he didn't.

He might get crucified, but he brings most of this onto himself. Jack's reputation is now made - what is he going to do about it?

Like all demons players in the last 5 years or so. They'll prove the naysayers right.

Like all demons players in the last 5 years or so. They'll prove the naysayers right.

Not yet NSC - Neeld might have a say in this in the end.....

I wonder whether his football life would be different if he took at a swing at all those Collingwood players who gang tackled him in his 1st game?

As they all do every week... "gutted" "can't wait for next week" "not a good enough effort".... Doesn't mean anything cos they never back it up

No, I meant in relation to the "laughing".

No, stuie, not at all - I'd rather the boy get 10 touches, lay 10 tackles and get 10 effective spoils.

Several times tonight (this arvo) he had the opportunity to run into a hole and perform this role properly, but he didn't.

He might get crucified, but he brings most of this onto himself. Jack's reputation is now made - what is he going to do about it?

The problem with your thinking is that the other areas you mention are of no value unless you have someone to take advantage of them. There is no one to clear the ball if he lays a good tackle, there is no one to collect the ball if he effects a spoil. We have a team that lacks heart and talent so the recipient of the spilled ball from the tackle or spoilt mark would most certainly be a member of the opposition.

I would rather have him, at the moment, take the ball and at least try to direct it to one of our players not one of theirs.

• Like 2

The problem with your thinking is that the other areas you mention are of no value unless you have someone to take advantage of them. There is no one to clear the ball if he lays a good tackle, there is no one to collect the ball if he effects a spoil. We have a team that lacks heart and talent so the recipient of the spilled ball from the tackle or spoilt mark would most certainly be a member of the opposition.

I would rather have him, at the moment, take the ball and at least try to direct it to one of our players not one of theirs.

The problem with my thinking is that I want to see him pick up a man?

The problem with my thinking is that he affects a spoil?

Blocks?

Become accountable?

Attack the footy?

Tackle?

I'd rather see this rather than his tip-toeing.

If people think Watts was good this afternoon, they know nothing about modern footy.

He was as soft as butter, panicked, refused to fill a hole or put his body on the line.

Watch the Bombers v Tiges game and watch that intensity - our team has NONE of that!!!!!

Every expert i heard speak of watts tonight said he was the one shining light for our team and i agree he seems to have so much time with the ball and i would love to see you get 34 touches in a game MR i know all about the modern game please. Every chance you get you lay the boot's in he comes back with 34 touches in a game were there were 20 worse players in the red and blue and you kick him when he plays well?Great support there lol read all the papers i bet he will be in every expert's best players because you dont get the ball 34 time if you play bad in that role jack played tonight. It means he read the play really well and i saw jack going back into danger positions to make a contest a few time's. I think 34 touches would be his best effort yet. He might not have been Chris judd but he was solid and in our best 2 and top 5 in the game please read the papers and listen to the radio and you will see jack played well so put your watts bashing away when he played better the most his team mates please.

I found some example's for you jumbo

Herald sun

Jack Watts had 34 disposals in one of the Demons' few signs of life.

4. JACK Watts, back from the VFL, played loose across half-back for most of the game, but read the footy promisingly to collect 34 disposals and 11 marks. Otherwise the news gets worse, with fixtures to come against Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood

MFC WEBSITE by James dampney

BEST

Sydney Swans: Jack, Jetta, Parker, O'Keefe, Mattner, Grundy, Walsh

Melbourne: Watts, Jones, Howe

The recalled Jack Watts (34 possessions) and Nathan Jones (22 possessions, two goals) were the only real bright spots for the visitors, with Liam Jurrah having little influence in his return to the side.

I will put some more up in the morning jumbo after all the paper's have there say from expert's who dont just hate but give the credit were it's due cheers jumbo.

Edited by BIG JIM

I didn't watch much of the match but what I did see neeld played watts loose in the backline, so yes he got cheap disposals but he was meant to be the outlet and he was from what I saw

"Played his role" is what neeld will say, unlike plenty others

Edited by Mad_Melbourne
  • Like 2

Sylvia has had too many chances. he's part of the problem. I agree with all the above culls but you can add Sylvia and Moloney to that list. If you really 'bleed red and blue' you'd hurt yourself trying to wint he ball not just sit back dumb founded. Jurrah will be in jail soon.

Enlighten us all NSCURSE why does Liam Jurrah's issues bare any relevance to Coling Sylvia? Get off the Guys back! Very Poor.

with watts, he was sent to the vfl to "work on his role"(so i assume) which included contested ball and packs tackles ect, so when he was brought back in he was brought in to play loose man in defence, I'm not having a go at the coaching staff because he seemed to play this role well tonight, but what do people think his role will be going forward, is loose man his position because if it is surely he needs to learn to hold a man in defence and zone off to play this role, think rivers but with much better speed and disposal which wouldnt be a bad think, very valuable, or is he filling a hole right now which isn't going to help his development, i'm not after stupid one liners he'll make it or should of picked nicnat, it's a genuine statement so hoping for good responses

• Like 1

Scarlett - I completely agree. They want him to be tougher, then play him loose in defence. Doesn't make any sense to me.

The other problem is that they play him in a different spot every week. I just don't understand why they don't pick a position, any position, and let him play there 10 weeks in a row...

• Like 1

I used to defend our players like you but I can tell you from today's game that Watts was terrible.

Nup.

Sub-par, maybe... He was soft and thinks too much as usual, but you can't blame his disposal on the fact every single one of his teammates were standing still. Not offering anything. He still managed to hit guys up where there wasn't an option at times. At one point I remember a kick of his got chased down, and he threw his arms out as if to say, what else can I do? I didn't love his game... but it was something to build on, for sure.

We have hit rock bottom. You can defend the players all you like mate but get back to me when we have a win.

Wait until after the GC + GWS games. If you saw any of the GC dogs game, you'd say we're ten goals worse than them right now. When we lose to them (and going in with that effort, nothing is more certain), Neeld will be gone.

with watts, he was sent to the vfl to "work on his role"(so i assume) which included contested ball and packs tackles ect, so when he was brought back in he was brought in to play loose man in defence, I'm not having a go at the coaching staff because he seemed to play this role well tonight, but what do people think his role will be going forward, is loose man his position because if it is surely he needs to learn to hold a man in defence and zone off to play this role, think rivers but with much better speed and disposal which wouldnt be a bad think, very valuable, or is he filling a hole right now which isn't going to help his development, i'm not after stupid one liners he'll make it or should of picked nicnat, it's a genuine statement so hoping for good responses

I know everyone's sick of hearing it... but how people can't see he's Goddard mark ii is beyond me. Everything we're saying now (except the fact he's not the KP forward we wanted) was said about Goddard for the first probably five years of his career. It's startling. He's a tiny skinny little guy at the moment who has no weight to throw around. Patton will come in and have an impact cos at 18 he's already 10 kilos heavier than Jack. When he's THIS concave in his chest, his only role will be mopping up in defence. His kicking can be lethal when his mates lead for him. He's got sensational vision and kicking skills on both sides... For now, it's the role he SHOULD be playing. Then move him up to a wing when he gets some more weight. Then finally half forward. There's nothing WRONG with that. It's a shame we didn't get our KP forward out of him like we planned, but to be honest, I don't care, as long as the #1 draft pick starts being a dangerous player in ANY role.

• Like 9

Nup.

Sub-par, maybe... He was soft and thinks too much as usual, but you can't blame his disposal on the fact every single one of his teammates were standing still. Not offering anything. He still managed to hit guys up where there wasn't an option at times. At one point I remember a kick of his got chased down, and he threw his arms out as if to say, what else can I do? I didn't love his game... but it was something to build on, for sure.

Wait until after the GC + GWS games. If you saw any of the GC dogs game, you'd say we're ten goals worse than them right now. When we lose to them (and going in with that effort, nothing is more certain), Neeld will be gone.

dappa dan your post's are normally more measured then this, you blame watts for playing soft tonight, but his role was loose man in defence, you then go on to say he did well to hit up stationary targets, so in the end he played his role, i am unhappy about the role he was asked to play, which is a contradiction to why he got dropped, but he played his role and would have got a tick in the box next to his name, so who are you unhappy with, watts and the way he played, or the coaching staff asking him to play this role. with somethings i think the coaching staff are doing thing right and teaching the group from bottom up, other things like this i think their not sure and just winging it, which doesnt look good.

edit. your post above showed up after i posted this and is spot on, makes my post here look second rate, but i would still like to know who you blame for him playing a "soft" game tonight.

Edited by scarlett
  • Like 1

I know everyone's sick of hearing it... but how people can't see he's Goddard mark ii is beyond me. Everything we're saying now (except the fact he's not the KP forward we wanted) was said about Goddard for the first probably five years of his career. It's startling. He's a tiny skinny little guy at the moment who has no weight to throw around. Patton will come in and have an impact cos at 18 he's already 10 kilos heavier than Jack. When he's THIS concave in his chest, his only role will be mopping up in defence. His kicking can be lethal when his mates lead for him. He's got sensational vision and kicking skills on both sides... For now, it's the role he SHOULD be playing. Then move him up to a wing when he gets some more weight. Then finally half forward. There's nothing WRONG with that. It's a shame we didn't get our KP forward out of him like we planned, but to be honest, I don't care, as long as the #1 draft pick starts being a dangerous player in ANY role.

Goddard was never soft. Watts has already shown everyone that he is. And thats the difference. Weight doesnt make you tough.

I used to defend our players like you but I can tell you from today's game that Watts was terrible. he panics too often and causes more turnovers than just about anyone

I am as dark as anyone but at least if you are going to bag someone get it right. Watts was one of the few who did his job and was steady under incredible pressure, I don't know what game you were watching

• Like 3

Losing was hard enough, but wading through this tripe is just as bad.

JW: 34 possessions and 11 marks - how many did Morton get? Or Green? Or Garland? Not enough for you?

You want 10 tackles? Did Robbie Flower EVER lay 10 tackles in a game?? For his last season, Flower managed 47 goals ... and 25 tackles. Total. You do the maths - but it's clear there were games when Flower probably didn't lay a tackle at all.

Yet alone 10.

• Like 2