Who should be held accountable?

dees64

They still wear Pink and blue. Even our jumpers look shite

Oh I am glad you said that I thought I was the only one who dislikes our maroon and blue jumper

Players who can't hit the simplest of targets by foot should be shown the requisite skills first hand while they're being kicked to death.

It's unfortunate that the AFL website only shows Disposal Efficiency and not separate kick/handball efficiencies because a lot of our players are padding that stat with dinky handballs that mean nothing and then botching every second kick. The coaching staff would know, but sadly you can't drop everyone - and even more sadly the replacements are usually just as bad.

As for people who think "the coaching clock is ticking" spare me. It's not 1978, coaches don't get sacked after one year. He must have time to show the door to players who are past it or don't want to be there and get his own players in. Those who have never bothered to refute the claims by their managers that they're "testing the waters" can be the first to go, hopefully as their contract value plummets like the Greek economy.

• Like 1

Neeld was only selected as coach because we couldn't get Roos or malthouse. Full frigging stop.

Get him out and make a play at a proven premiership coach.

It seems like Garry Lyon has had the wool pulled over his eyes one too many times. He is too blame for idiotically selecting Bailey over sheedy. That one decision has resulted in our current predicament.

Players who can't hit the simplest of targets by foot should be shown the requisite skills first hand while they're being kicked to death.

It's unfortunate that the AFL website only shows Disposal Efficiency and not separate kick/handball efficiencies because a lot of our players are padding that stat with dinky handballs that mean nothing and then botching every second kick. The coaching staff would know, but sadly you can't drop everyone - and even more sadly the replacements are usually just as bad.

As for people who think "the coaching clock is ticking" spare me. It's not 1978, coaches don't get sacked after one year. He must have time to show the door to players who are past it or don't want to be there and get his own players in. Those who have never bothered to refute the claims by their managers that they're "testing the waters" can be the first to go, hopefully as their contract value plummets like the Greek economy.

Mate I am so confused I do not know who is the problem.

What I do know is that our list is poor, senior , junior the whole lot.

Four years ago we were training at the junction, had half the coaching staff we have now, had a $5 million debt.

2012 we have the best training facilities going around, we have as many coaching staff as anyone, we have no debt and have had numerous high draft picks

RESULT we are playing worse than 4 years ago in fact I would say the worst in my 52 years of watching the Dees.

It seems to me that we have a team ( with a couple of exceptions ) that is either the most untalented in the league or they have zero ability / desire to implement Neeld's plans.

Whatever the reason it is time the Members showed their feelings.

Don't turn up till they improve, go to Casey games, follow your local side for a couple of weeks.

Not sure what else we can all do.

There is more to life than than this football club

I have a theory about the accountability.

Last year the players were unhappy about the lack of support given to their then coach by certain elements of the administration.

As a result players play the worst game in the clubs history. Coach is sacked, but administration remains. Said administration looks for new coach and a guy comes in and says 'your players are crap and they have a terrible attitude'. Administration loves what they are hearing as it proves they were right. Coach is employed and implements a style that strips players of confidence as they need to 'rebuild'. Again this proves popular with administration, who the coach answers too. Season begins and club looks really poor. Administration again feel like they were 'right' as club looks terrible, which surely must be the players. Reading between the lines it's obvious the players aren't buying into coach, and also have no confidence in themselves which makes them look a lot worse than they are. Club looks poised to clean out list AGAIN at end of year. And who will be left? The same administration that the players felt weren't good for the club to begin with.

In short everyone is accountable but the club never fixed the problem. Instead they picked a side and hoped it was right. I think we are seeing that this wasn't the wisest idea. Accountability starts and ends at the top.

YES to this.

The big issue is that I dont believe Neeld has the players. Maloney won 18 brownlow votes last year and won our B&F. Played dangerously ill against the cats in 186 and gets the blame for what was seems like a football department issue. The leaders backed the coach, spoke out in his defence and were whacked for it. No wonder he's not responding to Neeld.

If Neeld is the kind of coach we thought he was when he arrived...if he wants to be an AFL coach...he has to be flexible enough his thoughts about the playing style but more importantly he has to be humble enough to get back the players and heal the rift that exists after 186. I dont know he's going to do it but if he doesnt he's going to go down as the worst coach in AFL history

• Like 4

The players represent the club. They are to blame. That said Mclardy as President has got to show responsibility as well.

The club is right on the edge tonight.

I think we are guaranteed to go 0 -22

If you think it is bad tonight imagine that.

There is of course an upside to everything.

No one will say we are tanking

YES to this.

The big issue is that I dont believe Neeld has the players. Maloney won 18 brownlow votes last year and won our B&F. Played dangerously ill against the cats in 186 and gets the blame for what was seems like a football department issue. The leaders backed the coach, spoke out in his defence and were whacked for it. No wonder he's not responding to Neeld.

If Neeld is the kind of coach we thought he was when he arrived...if he wants to be an AFL coach...he has to be flexible enough his thoughts about the playing style but more importantly he has to be humble enough to get back the players and heal the rift that exists after 186. I dont know he's going to do it but if he doesnt he's going to go down as the worst coach in AFL history

Unfortunately I think you might be close to the mark.

It is not happening between the FD and the players

Oh I am glad you said that I thought I was the only one who dislikes our maroon and blue jumper

they have decked us out in the Fitzroy colours...

incidentally, "0 warning points" - what's that?

Edited by robbiefrom13

Unfortunately I think you might be close to the mark.

It is not happening between the FD and the players

old dee is that really the case, or is the FD getting the players to only play to practice specific parts of the game, I believe the coaching panel is getting each player to concentrate on one area of structures and so forth, the reason i believe this is the way we setup every week, i mean really watch over a few weeks each setup no matter where on the ground will be the same all game, doesnt matter if we're forward, centre or back, we're practicing, the problem is we keep practising and all it seems to be teaching us is to lose. I hope it pays off because I love when we win and havent had that taste for a while now.

Tim Watson said about Melbourne a few weeks ago that "the fish rots from the head", I wish he would have followed up with an explaination which he declined to do. It was directed at the CEO, why are there whispers and little remarks here and there but no one comes out and says what they believe the issues are...Greg Denham.

Discussion of last year and 186 were more than discouraged at the AGM, it was a club in denial. It needs to be addressed by the board and explained to the members because unless we can come clean it will continue to haunt the club. Clear out all those responsible, move on players who don't show the required commitment and get on with it asap.

Guest Jackie

Tim Watson said about Melbourne a few weeks ago that "the fish rots from the head", I wish he would have followed up with an explaination which he declined to do. It was directed at the CEO, why are there whispers and little remarks here and there but no one comes out and says what they believe the issues are...Greg Denham.

Discussion of last year and 186 were more than discouraged at the AGM, it was a club in denial. It needs to be addressed by the board and explained to the members because unless we can come clean it will continue to haunt the club. Clear out all those responsible, move on players who don't show the required commitment and get on with it asap.

With urgency.

The players are pitiful!

If Neeld could wipe 80% of the team and start with a bunch of 18 year olds he would.

There are so many on our list that need there ticket stamped and [censored] off.

We should see one of the biggest player movements at season end in league history!!!!

I expect too see the backs of Moloney, Bate, Morton, Davey, Green, I dare say it Sylvia and Jamar, etc. The list goes on.

We need fresh experienced players!!!

Our players just dont have the qualities Neeld requires and no heart.

I'm sick of seeing players run too contest or chase half hearted.

The reality is that we are four years into a rebuild with a team that won 8.5 games last year. We were in the mix with North Melbourne and Richmond over the last few years as being developing sides and despite North's last two weeks both teams are massively ahead of us.

Two years ago I was at a lunch where Connolly and McLardy were guest speakers. Connolly was his usual amusing self, especially when it came to Richmond and their supporters. In fact, he asked if there were any Richmond supporters in the room. A few sheepishly put their hand in the air. He proceeded to spend the next couple of minutes joking how the next decade was going to be a misery for them. He seemed genuinely pleased and not a little smug.

I don't hear much from him these days. And I avoid my Richmond mate who was in the room.

The problem with that comment is that Bailey started the trend of sacking leaders - Jnr, Robbo, 1 year contract for Bruce. Got rid of many loyal servants for the club and replaced them with youngsters who were expected to step up too soon without any experience or protection.

Our current predicament started in the last years of Daniher, was worsened considerably by Bailey and compounded by some of the decisions under Neeld. I must admit the moment I heard the captains were Grimes and Trengove I knew there was something VERY wrong with the dynamic of the club. Good way to divide the club and make the older players look meek. But that is obviously an accurate assessment.

You are therefore agreeing with me. Because Bailey made a huge mistake in throwing out senior servants too early (White, Yze, James Mac, Bruce (by not allowing 2 yr contract) etc. it proves my point that Neeld has no emotional intelligence - he should have been more aware of the senior players standing and treated them with more respect - even if they had let the club down in the past. It should have all been about moving forward with Grimes and perhaps one of Rivers or Jones as co-captain (never should have been a 20 y.o.). It may sound like jargon but I've done quite a lot of leadership training and key element to being a good leader is emotional intelligence - that is being aware of peoples feelings and being able to communicate to them based on their personality. This can't really be taught or learnt - you either have it or you don't and from what i see he doesn't have it.

Guest José Mourinho

This is the same team that smashed the swans last year.

There is a big wave surfer called Ross Clarke jones. He said, surfing big waves requires 3 ingredients, if one of these ingredients is lacking, the surfer is in trouble. The big wave surfer must be;

1. Spiritually prepared

2. Physically prepared

3. Mentally prepared

I believe the coach must prepare the players in all 3 areas. Right now the team is physically prepared, but lacks mental discipline and spiritual depth.

This is the coaches job. Moloney for example has done a lot more for this club than Neeld. Neeld seems like a pompous, cold hearted analyst. His face squirms under pressure.

Let viney coach. Now!

This post shows your complete ignorance.

We beat Sydney by 73 points... in 2010.

The players ARE NOT physically prepared. Yet.

That's what the club is working on, but they were well behind when Neeld came to the club and you're seeing the results of having to play catch-up in a highly competitive environment.

Moloney is a front-running lazy footballer who wants to do the easy things and be a show pony.

He has done NOTHING for the club, but hold them back with his attitude.

How many wins did Viney get?

Sorry? How many?

You're clutching at straws cos you don't have a bloody clue.

• Like 1

You are therefore agreeing with me. Because Bailey made a huge mistake in throwing out senior servants too early (White, Yze, James Mac, Bruce (by not allowing 2 yr contract) etc. it proves my point that Neeld has no emotional intelligence - he should have been more aware of the senior players standing and treated them with more respect - even if they had let the club down in the past. It should have all been about moving forward with Grimes and perhaps one of Rivers or Jones as co-captain (never should have been a 20 y.o.). It may sound like jargon but I've done quite a lot of leadership training and key element to being a good leader is emotional intelligence - that is being aware of peoples feelings and being able to communicate to them based on their personality. This can't really be taught or learnt - you either have it or you don't and from what i see he doesn't have it.

The only mistake with the senior players was letting Jimmy Mac go, a huge mistake. The rest were past it. Was it all Bailey or were there other forces at work?

Guest José Mourinho

The only mistake with the senior players was letting Jimmy Mac go, a huge mistake. The rest were past it. Was it all Bailey or were there other forces at work?

Even that was still the right decision at the time.

remember reading after Round 4 that McLardy stated his top priority was to understand why we were going backwards – paraphrasing. I may have missed something but have not heard back since.

Guest José Mourinho

remember reading after Round 4 that McLardy stated his top priority was to understand why we were going backwards – paraphrasing. I may have missed something but have not heard back since.

Was his promise to let you know personally, was it?

seriously though what would Tim Watson know about the internal dealings of the MFC?

"the fish rots from the head" is just a throw-away line anyone could use and without any facts is totally useless

we all know the fish is rotting but why is it the head causing it?

A number of posters point the finger at the "administration" for "meddling" with the FD or the players

Now I can't understand that. Could someone please explain to me just what specifically the administration could have done to the players to affect them to the extent that they are so totally demoralised and lacking any fight. The administration isn't even on the same premises. Please, just some simple examples, there must be some if it is true

I'm open to any suggestions but I want some detail

Edited by daisycutter