• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Malthouse on Melbourne

Ned

Apologies if this has already been posted. Malthouse's rundown on all the teams.

On Melbourne:

There’s not a lot wrong with Melbourne, except they have played without a modern game plan that resembles finals football. Their new coach Mark Neeld will kick their backsides raw. He’ll toughen them up, he’ll discipline them and he’ll have a game structure that is tried and proven. Players like Jack Watts and Liam Jurrah might look fantastic, but they’ll be reminded constantly by Mark that tackling should be a first priority and not an after-thought. I question Watts’ ambition. Is it to be the best player in the competition? If it’s any less than that, he will perform less than that. And when he performs less than that, he is going to be a marked man. He was picked at No.1 in the draft and although that’s not his decision, you still have to live by the code that as that selection you have to perform as a No.1 competitor. Age and number of games are irrelevant.

http://au.news.yahoo...2-crystal-ball/

Watts deserves all the heat he gets.

I agree, why is this bloke who is allegedly one the fastest ever recruits over 20 metres never on a hard lead? Contested marks look great and granted, he has snared a few, but there is so much missing.

• Like 1

Can't say anything about us without bringing up Jack can he... Is he doing his old mate Mark a favour trying to light a fire under Jack's ass?

I expect Malthouse and Neeld would talk a lot. And, not unsurprisingly, Malthouse's views on Watts seem to mirror Neeld's initial impressions of him.

And before everyone puts the knife into Malthouse, I understand he was very supportive of Mark Neeld in his application for the MFC gig and that he thought the Dees would be a great place for Neeld to end up.

Personally, I'm strongly of the view that Mark Neeld is the best thing that's happened to the Dees for many years. And, at least in part, that is due to Mick Malthouse. So, he can keep tearing strips off us - our performances in recent years don't deserve anything better than that IMO.

If we're going to succeed as a club, it's by facing facts - not by burying our head in the sand. On field, we've been soft - and this needs to change. Success won't otherwise come to us, and Malthouse simply seems to be pointing this out. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Mick would love to see the Dees flourish this year under Mark Neeld. And that's not going to happen without players like Jack Watts developing a killer focus and ambition on wanting to succeed.

• Like 7

I expect Malthouse and Neeld would talk a lot. And, not unsurprisingly, Malthouse's views on Watts seem to mirror Neeld's initial impressions of him.

And before everyone puts the knife into Malthouse, I understand he was very supportive of Mark Neeld in his application for the MFC gig and that he thought the Dees would be a great place for Neeld to end up.

Personally, I'm strongly of the view that Mark Neeld is the best thing that's happened to the Dees for many years. And, at least in part, that is due to Mick Malthouse. So, he can keep tearing strips off us - our performances in recent years don't deserve anything better than that IMO.

If we're going to succeed as a club, it's by facing facts - not by burying our head in the sand. On field, we've been soft - and this needs to change. Success won't otherwise come to us, and Malthouse simply seems to be pointing this out. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Mick would love to see the Dees flourish this year under Mark Neeld. And that's not going to happen without players like Jack Watts developing a killer focus and ambition on wanting to succeed.

You make very good sense RB.

But please lets not lay it all at JW's feet.

There are IMO a lot of players who have been found wanting year in year out.

WE do not have enough of the right cattle.

MN, MM cannot get blood from a stone

That job is reserved for JC and he has not been seen a lot in the last 2000 years.

• Like 1

Mick Malthouse is right...that first 2 lines nail it.

There’s not a lot wrong with Melbourne, except they have played without a modern game plan that resembles finals football. Their new coach Mark Neeld will kick their backsides raw. He’ll toughen them up, he’ll discipline them and he’ll have a game structure that is tried and proven.

• Like 2

The problem with Watts is the problem the club has allowed to happen, Davey use to chase everything, now doesn't, Sylvia the same, Watts has learnt under Bailey that if you have all the skills and potential you can get away with a little here and there.

Neeld will change that, and these guys and others witll either be inspired to follow along and try and reach greatness or will drop off to play at Casey every week. It's their choice.

It's no surprise that some one like Jones is thriving under Neeld.

I'm positive now a lot of you just want him to fail, just so you can gloat if you happen to be right.

Get behind the kid FFS.

Not at all. We all want Jack to be a gun. But how much does Jack want it?

Only he can flick the switch.

• Like 1

Apologies if this has already been posted. Malthouse's rundown on all the teams.

On Melbourne:

There’s not a lot wrong with Melbourne, except they have played without a modern game plan that resembles finals football. Their new coach Mark Neeld will kick their backsides raw. He’ll toughen them up, he’ll discipline them and he’ll have a game structure that is tried and proven. Players like Jack Watts and Liam Jurrah might look fantastic, but they’ll be reminded constantly by Mark that tackling should be a first priority and not an after-thought. I question Watts’ ambition. Is it to be the best player in the competition? If it’s any less than that, he will perform less than that. And when he performs less than that, he is going to be a marked man. He was picked at No.1 in the draft and although that’s not his decision, you still have to live by the code that as that selection you have to perform as a No.1 competitor. Age and number of games are irrelevant.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/13133340/coaching-masters-2012-crystal-ball/

Can't say I disagree with anything that Malthouse has said in that brief analysis. In his first sentence he says there is not a lot wrong with Melbourne, encouraging in itself. Then he explains some reasons why we havent been performing & that he expects Neeld to get the best out of us. He then goes on to say what it will take for Jack to become the player we aimed him to be when he was drafted. If anything he has given accurate constructive criticism & analysis.

• Like 3

Mick Malthouse is right...that first 2 lines nail it.

There’s not a lot wrong with Melbourne, except they have played without a modern game plan that resembles finals football. Their new coach Mark Neeld will kick their backsides raw. He’ll toughen them up, he’ll discipline them and he’ll have a game structure that is tried and proven.

If you get down to the basics, that first line says a lot. If you leave aside Buddy and Rioli we probably have players as good as many of the Hawks. Why then do they thrash us? Because they play ultra disciplined football to a strong game plan. Every one knows the plan and knows what is needed. Is Bruce a superstar or Cheney? No but they were contributors and played well because they played to the game plan.

Do you have to be a champion to know to run and make position for the next kick when your team has the ball? Do you have to be a champion to know to make each possession of the other side a hard won contest?

Break down the game and see where we lost. They contested hard at the stoppages, which either gave them possession or caused us to fumble. Once they had possession they ran to create position and short kicks to a clear man enabled the set up for a goal. What did we do? When we got the ball we either fumbled from the pressure or just bombed it forward to Clark etc who was usually up against 2 or 3 Hawks. Why is that? Because their game plan dictates when they don't have the ball some drop back and others attack the ball carrier. All the while Birchall is left all on his own to sweep up.

The first thing I would do when playing them is man up Birchall. They are not unbeatable, but to beat them you must be disciplined and play to a strong plan.

Hopefully Neeld will instill such a plan and discipline in our side. Those not willing to adhere and give their all can play at Casey.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1

If you get down to the basics, that first line says a lot. If you leave aside Buddy and Rioli we probably have players as good as many of the Hawks. Why then do they thrash us? Because they play ultra disciplined football to a strong game plan. Every one knows the plan and knows what is needed. Is Bruce a superstar or Cheney? No but they were contributors and played well because they played to the game plan.

Do you have to be a champion to know to run and make position for the next kick when your team has the ball? Do you have to be a champion to know to make each possession of the other side a hard won contest?

Break down the game and see where we lost. They contested hard at the stoppages, which either gave them possession or caused us to fumble. Once they had possession they ran to create position and short kicks to a clear man enabled the set up for a goal. What did we do? When we got the ball we either fumbled from the pressure or just bombed it forward to Clark etc who was usually up against 2 or 3 Hawks. Why is that? Because their game plan dictates when they don't have the ball some drop back and others attack the ball carrier. All the while Birchall is left all on his own to sweep up.

The first thing I would do when playing them is man up Birchall. They are not unbeatable, but to beat them you must be disciplined and play to a strong plan.

Hopefully Neeld will instill such a plan and discipline in our side. Those not willing to adhere and give their all can play at Casey.

Thanks Redleg I have only one problem.

We might struggle to get 22 for the weekend but the upside is Casey will have plenty to chose from.

• Like 1

Our game plan, at least what has been on show so far, is winning contested ball and bang it anywhere in the direction of our goal. The kick to a lead has been virtually eliminated, which is bad for Jack.

And the last thing MN wants is for Clark, Watts and whichever resting ruck (Martin or Jamar or even Spencer later on) flying for the same ball, with nobody down. Clark's instructions seem to be to just go for the ball if it's within his reach, no matter who's in the way, including team-mates. With plenty of high bombs, there's a lot of area in the forward line within Clark's reach, and it seems to be up to others to get out of his way and give him a clear run at the ball.

So Jack needs to work out how to avoid getting in Clark's way, and avoid having his opponent be "third man up", but still have an influence on the game, while not being allowed to play to his strengths, which is a lead-up forward.

I'm just hoping that we haven't simply exchanged one one-dimensional game plan for another. It's like we've gone to the other extreme - from skill without toughness, to toughness without skill - rather than a game plan that blends toughness and skill. Of which we got an excellent exhibition on Saturday.

Last year, there was far too much tendency to heap the blame on to individuals, when the game plan was the problem. IF (and it's a big if) what we've seen so far is all there is to our game plan, it's going to be a long year.

• Like 1

I'm positive now a lot of you just want him to fail, just so you can gloat if you happen to be right.

Get behind the kid FFS.

Your kidding right.

As Melbourne supporters starved of success

We want him to tear the competition apart.

He has all the tools .

I bag Bennell , doesn't mean I want him to dudd out.

I'd love him to step up aswell.

I want them all to get their backsides into gear.

Hear the noises they're making at the Toigs .... That should be us .

• Like 2

Your kidding right.

As Melbourne supporters starved of success

We want him to tear the competition apart.

He has all the tools .

I bag Bennell , doesn't mean I want him to dudd out.

I'd love him to step up aswell.

I want them all to get their backsides into gear.

Hear the noises they're making at the Toigs .... That should be us .

I doubt I could have said it better.

The toigs thing is beginning to get to me.

Even Miller is looking good

• Like 1

What mick said today is that melbourne are a team that had a coach in bailey that had know idea and i have got to agree that when it came to game plan we were way off the pace. He also said we are in the right hands now and there is not much wrong with us. And when it comes to watts he is just saying that its not about how many touches he gets its about being hungry for the contest like a number 1 pick this i agree with because i dont think he is saying he should be killing it after 40 games he is just saying he needs more hunger to be a number 1 pick. I hate when others go after jack but i can see MM point and i do respect what he says after all mick is saying we will get there. CHEERS

• Like 1

Can't say anything about us without bringing up Jack can he... Is he doing his old mate Mark a favour trying to light a fire under Jack's ass?

I think you will find that as he has copped a lot of heat over his JW comments, Malthouse is reinforcing/justifying said comments. And the fact that he is doing so doesn't alter the fact that his analysis is spot on!

I doubt I could have said it better.

The toigs thing is beginning to get to me.

Even Miller is looking good

Yes he is and it's because the Toigs probably have one of the best midfield's going at the moment.

They're a fair way ahead of us in that department, however they're probably 2-3 KPP's short of going with the best.

Being overseas I only heard it on radio, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but they said we won just over 1/2 the contested possessions & it seemed the difference was that we then bombed it to another contested situation, whereas when they got possession they more often passed it to a favourable uncontested option thereby maintaining their possession.

I've heard/read/seen nothing indicating that's not the plan under MN so far & I love his initial tough focus on winning contests, but really hope he introduces a phase 2 to his new style that involves all manner of passing to team mates, maintaining possession, providing & honouring leads etc.. ...better ball use once we win that contested situation. Cheers

• Like 3

Yes he is and it's because the Toigs probably have one of the best midfield's going at the moment.

They're a fair way ahead of us in that department, however they're probably 2-3 KPP's short of going with the best.

What, you think Cotchin, Martin, Deledio, Foley are better than Beamer, Jones, McKenzie and whoever? That is where it all starts.

• Like 1