Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Mark Neeld

Jordie_tackles

The excuses about how far our players are in terms of fitness compared to the top teams.

The excuses about how radical changes to football departments and game plans.

Seems to be the case not an excuse, hey I don't like the results either but I'm really [censored] off about why our team has stagnated since 2010. Neeld has given us a reason and is trying to rectify it, I just hope he is right. Adelaide started winning games when the coach changed over last year, we didn't?????????? The players didn't play for Bailey and didn't bother when he was gone. Neeld's job was always going to be a hard one but with what he's had to cope with on top of the playing list over the last month he's done well to stand up under the pressure.

We played the odd good game over the last couple of seasons but it proved to be a false dawn. Neeld promised to push the players and said some would break, I think we are seeing that now and at the end of the year we will go to the draft with a young leadership group established and ready to bring in a new crop of players to join them who will play and train the way Neeld wants.

Trengove is in my opinion a good choice for captain and is well on track, he will get better as the year goes on, he is likened to Jimmy Bartel and watching the game today, well I'll be very happy if he gets to that level. What a great champ Bartel is.

I wish we could sprinkle some magic dust but it aint going to happen, maybe we will start to see the wheel turn a bit as the season goes on maybe not. Yep, I've had to sit through the great Fitzroy and Hawthorn floggings, many more downs than ups, I just hope we get it right this time. West Coast turned it around last year, Adelaide may this year, lets hope it's us next year.

Still shaking my head at the Trengove captaincy appointment. Neeld made this decision, he has to live with it, but I will continue to criticise it, and question just how much negative impact it will have on JT's development. Amateur mistake from an amateur coach. And as someone mentioned in a different thread, we've got an amateur coach on the back of the Club claiming that we will go out and get the best.

You're joking. You're criticizing the move after two games? Give it a chance. Give Neeld a freaking chance.

Give it half a season at least.

You're joking. You're criticizing the move after two games? Give it a chance. Give Neeld a freaking chance.

Give it half a season at least.

I criticised before the start of the season. My opinion TBT, just as you have one of your own. Mine isn't in the majority on this forum (could almost be the only one that shares it!).

I have given the Demons a chance every year for the past 30+ years. I will continue to give them a chance for the rest of my years, or the Club's, which ever is terminated first. Does that qualify me to have my reservations of the current situation? I belive so. Time will tell if I'm correct in my concerns, I hope for mine and all supporters that I'm totally off the mark and Neeld and this current list can lead us to a premiership. I'll be stoked if Trengove is making the acceptance speech as skipper, but it won't be this year or next, so we could've kept that little trump up our sleeve.

I think that is a fairly good article rpfc

Yep, i agree. Neeld def gave the story oxygen with his emotional rebuttal and did look a bit silly a day or so later saying there was now no need or urgency in finding the "source"

Edited by binman

So you want Neeld to go rpfc? You don't like the team, the coach and Cameron Schwab. But you do like Dennis Commetti.

Which players do you like going forward?

• Remember Bomber Thompson new First time coach 1999-2000, too him 8 yrs to win a flag
  • Almost lost his Job in 2007, the rest is history
  • Cleaned the list out
  • Changed the culture...remember handbags etc

Neeld is expected to change all this within 6 months!

Give the guy a break!

• Like 4

Spot on Dees 64. I thought his early press conference wasn't great (others disagree) but give him a go. Damien Barrett? He's a journalist. If you can't find disharmony create it.

• Remember Bomber Thompson new First time coach 1999-2000, too him 8 yrs to win a flag
  • Almost lost his Job in 2007, the rest is history
  • Cleaned the list out
  • Changed the culture...remember handbags etc

Neeld is expected to change all this within 6 months!

Give the guy a break!

Halfway through 2010 I thought Bailey was tracking eerily similar to Thompson. The bit I got wrong was when his coaching career was questioned, we sacked ours, where Geelong persisted with theirs.

But, it looks like we wait another 8 years until our window is open. From what people are saying on here, that's the standard time for good coaches to get a premiership.

So much for being the Team of the Decade (2010-2019)...

So you want Neeld to go rpfc? You don't like the team, the coach and Cameron Schwab. But you do like Dennis Commetti.

Which players do you like going forward?

What are you talking about?

I think Neeld is exactly what this team needs, because the kids are good but the senior players are a pathetic example, and Cameron Schwab has one of the hardest jobs in footy, and the board might be better served by someone else when his contract expires.

That is my view in a nutshell - nothing is black and white so please forgive the unnuanced excerpt.

And I have no idea what the Commetti mention is about...

Halfway through 2010 I thought Bailey was tracking eerily similar to Thompson. The bit I got wrong was when his coaching career was questioned, we sacked ours, where Geelong persisted with theirs.

But, it looks like we wait another 8 years until our window is open. From what people are saying on here, that's the standard time for good coaches to get a premiership.

So much for being the Team of the Decade (2010-2019)...

Bailey - Thompson !!!! I know many Cat fans were getting inpatient with Thompson, but he didn't have anything even remotely like the 186, did he?

You could see that our players didn't want to play that day (and one shouldn't have but that has been covered elsewhere); i didn't see enough of the Cats before their amazing resurgence, but I doubt if they could possibly have shown as little interest as ours did that day and after.

Bailey - Thompson !!!! I know many Cat fans were getting inpatient with Thompson, but he didn't have anything even remotely like the 186, did he?

You could see that our players didn't want to play that day (and one shouldn't have but that has been covered elsewhere); i didn't see enough of the Cats before their amazing resurgence, but I doubt if they could possibly have shown as little interest as ours did that day and after.

Bailey didn't have 186 next to his name half way through 2010 either. Perhaps read the post again.

It is a fact that at the start of 2007, that Thompson's coaching career was going to be terminated early to mid season if results didn't improve. While it's no secret, I was told that by a Geelong insider.

Thompson's 2007 turned out to be Bailey's 2011. Offield, Geelong had their sh!t together in '07, something that was far from evident for us in 2011.

• 3 weeks later...

i think we are starting to see the beginnings of Mark Neeld's stamp on the MFC and the transformation into turning our team into an honest and accountable unit.

I thought he coached well, he clearly set the players individual goals and the players for the most part bought in.

• Like 1

In contrast to round one, where he didn't seem to do anything to quell the Brisbane rout, he was extremely proactive all night tonight and seemed to really want to impact the contest. Just like any player, a coach has the ability to impact the contest, and Neeld did tonight. It's a shame we couldn't come away with the win.

Here's a link DeeTV put up of Neeld's first address to the players. Even though we're 0-5 with an awful percentage and a very good chance at being 0-11, I really like this guy. You can tell he means business and that he's driven to succeed. I think we've picked the right man for the job, and I'm looking forward to seeing the team grow under him.

• Like 2

The man has a clarity and forthrightedness that this club needs.

i am backing this bloke to bring our club up to standard, the rank and file need to get behind him as there as some in the old guard that will resist. In fact there was resistance before he had coached his first game and there were those in influential positions attempting to undermine him before he coached his first senior game.

There is a big picture here that needs to be sighted.

Edited by dandeeman
  • Like 1

In fact there was resistance before he had coached his first game and there were those in influential positions attempting to undermine him before he coached his first senior game.

I keep hearing this, and I don't know what it refers to... and I suspect there are many members who aren't sure what this big picture is. The older players? The board? CS? CC?

Is this around what happened just before and after 186?

If there is a cancer in our club, if Neeld is being undermined from within, then that's a disaster and we are doomed.

What can the members <do> (to quote John Kennedy)?

i am backing this bloke to bring our club up to standard, the rank and file need to get behind him as there as some in the old guard that will resist. In fact there was resistance before he had coached his first game and there were those in influential positions attempting to undermine him before he coached his first senior game.

Yes, what does this mean that there were those within that were trying to undermine our new coach before Round 1? Bc if true, very concerning.

Fact?? Be careful what you are saying D Man. Are you referring to the Davey/indiginous stuff spread by Mifsud?

If not and you are talking about the old guard of players then I couldn't be happier. They have proven themselves not capable of leading this club. They have a choice now of getting behind the new coach and direction or being de-listed. If 186 was really a player revolt (or a weird way of showing they love Dean Bailey) then the sooner we are rid of these cancerous, treacherous souls the better.

Do you really mean "fact"? Please explain.....

Very impressive. I like that this has come out now, and not just before round one as a fluff piece to make us look good.

The doggies and saints game has given me confidence that we are heading in the right direction, albeit against opposition that aren't killing it at the moment. But what I liked is when our structures held up the saints found it very difficult to move the ball freely, and that is something the Neeled is trying to instill.

Fact is our current gameplan requires high level fitness, which we may not be quite at yet. This is year is unfortunately another education year, but I feel we're pushing forward.

• Like 3

It was pleasing to see the effort and improvement this week. The next seven weeks are very important in development terms and buying in of the game plan against good opposition.

I think any ill informed negative views expressed here about a change in direction by the club in appointing Neeld are just that, negative. Move with the times and try to stay ahead of the game. Otherwise you'll be left behind. I believe that is what the club has done, they've identified that the goal posts have moved and they've made the move accordingly.

• Like 1

Fact?? Be careful what you are saying D Man.

Do you really mean "fact"? Please explain.....

I think HT said it better than I did, i was probably a little bit annoyed when i posted it as I made a couple more discoveries. . Still I didnt post it lightly. Be alert not alarmed (remember that)

I will say as fact.

1. There are some that still harbour bitterness towards the way that Bailey was terminated. There were liveliehoods and egoes damaged.

2. These "jilted" people find it difficult to acknowledge that there was a need for change.

3. These same people have stuck the boots into Neeld and some of the current admin, some of this was done here on Demonland, and some of it was done prior to round 1.

4. One of these people has more than one Demonland account and sees fit to pop up under a new name now and then to support themselves.

5. I have vowed to keep one of these people accountable for thier statements.

6. I decided as a result of some of this to step down as a moderator to be able to express my opinions more freely and without any of the restrictions i imposed on myself due to a responsibility I felt to keep things "moderate". I will say I think the owner and the majority of admin of this site do a great job. The moderators themselves in general are responsible for some of the more insightful posts and threads on the site.

I ask people when reading posts to consider the motivation of the person posting. And when Neeld or McLardy are being criticised, that you consider whether the criticism is fair and warranted.

i don't expect people to agree with every decision that the club makes, but I hope most buy into the direction that it is taking in at least attempting to drag the club into the 21st century.

Edited by dandeeman
  • Like 1

I think HT said it better than I did, i was probably a little bit annoyed when i posted it as I made a couple more discoveries. . Still I didnt post it lightly. Be alert not alarmed (remember that)

I will say as fact.

1. There are some that still harbour bitterness towards the way that Bailey was terminated. There were liveliehoods and egoes damaged.

2. These "jilted" people find it difficult to acknowledge that there was a need for change.

3. These same people have stuck the boots into Neeld and some of the current admin, some of this was done here on Demonland, and some of it was done prior to round 1.

4. One of these people has more than one Demonland account and sees fit to pop up under a new name now and then to support themselves.

5. I have vowed to keep one of these people accountable for thier statements.

6. I decided as a result of some of this to step down as a moderator to be able to express my opinions more freely and without any of the restrictions i imposed on myself due to a responsibility I felt to keep things "moderate". I will say I think the owner and the majority of admin of this site do a great job. The moderators themselves in general are responsible for some of the more insightful posts and threads on the site.

I ask people when reading posts to consider the motivation of the person posting. And when Neeld or McLardy are being criticised, that you consider whether the criticism is fair and warranted.

i don't expect people to agree with every decision that the club makes, but I hope most buy into the direction that it is taking in at least attempting to drag the club into the 21st century.

I am into club politics as much as the next person, but I have to say, I don't have the foggiest what you are saying!

I am into club politics as much as the next person, but I have to say, I don't have the foggiest what you are saying!

Ahh Choko, your feigned ignorance is a dead give away - you must be one those people.

To paraphrase one of my favourite films:

"i am not one of those people"

" Only one of those people would truly deny he is one of those people"

"What! Allright i am one of those people"

"HE IS, HE IS, HE IS ONE THOSE PEOPLE!"

Just kidding i know you're not really one of those people Choko, you just happened to be the first to post. And for the record i'm not either (but i would say that).

But seriously very interesting post DD. And good advice to be alert for poster's agendas on this and similar sites. It makes sense to apply the same level of analysis to social media as it does for mainstream media in this regard, particularly as it is so much easier to be take cheap shots and write (and spread) falsehoods when anonymous and there is no immediate or obvious penalty for doing so (though this protection, from a legal perspective, might be illusory)

• Like 1