Training - Wednesday 18th January, 2012 at Casey Fields

Whispering_Jack

We Demonlanders are a strange lot.

Half of us get our knickers in a knot when the coach publicly gives a player a bit of a rev up at the start of the season and the other half get upset because they perceive not enough is being done to increase his intensity towards his game.

The reports I've received is that Jack is coming along nicely and I'm looking forward to continued improvement in the coming year. He's a different size and different type of player to Travis Johnstone and I believe his attitude to his work is also different altogether.

Is Watts the current whipping boy for this site? I don't understand it. He played much improved footy last year and began to show his talent. At training yesterday he looked fit, developing more muscle and was as enthusiastic a contributor as anyone. He took a very strong mark and showed his athleticism. I heard one of the coaches say "demand the ball Jack" which suggested to me he is expected to play a leading role up forward. I was also impressed with Petterd's work and Bate looks ready to step up. Dunn seemed a bit off the pace to me.

I'm reading postsers express their concerns over supposed Jack Watts "bashings". To me they're not "bashings", merely observations. I too like reading training reports, although to a large degree I take them with a grain of salt. I've been at Gosch's Paddock a couple of times and read the subsequent training reports and haven't always agreed with some of the observations.

I do think any comparisons with Travis Johnstone are wide of the mark, but just as I'm happy to read that Clark is training well I'll not get upset if an observation about a particular player is negative. I'm quite capable of determining how much weight I should attach to any training reports that are posted.

Thanks for all the reports so far.

Just wondering where Dunn is at? There have been a few comments here and there but nothing overly positive or negative.

Anybody know if he is training with the forwards, mids or defenders?

It is a critical year for Dunn and I personally think he will struggle to play seniors. But with a new coach I would be expecting him to be firing. Any comments? Thanks.

LoL, somewhere between Curly & Larry I would think.

http://1.bp.blogspot...stooges.gif.png

Ps: Notice Peter Siddle to the left of Image. LoL.

Does anyone know what Todd's role is with Casey?

Neelds tweet yesterday -

"Thanks @caseyscorpions for the chance to address the players tonight, thoroughly enjoyed it. Todd Viney has the players working hard!"

Let's just hope the emphasis down there is on developing Melbourne listed players in the positions we want them to be in e.g Cook CHF/FF unlike last year.

Does anyone know what Todd's role is with Casey?

Neelds tweet yesterday -

"Thanks @caseyscorpions for the chance to address the players tonight, thoroughly enjoyed it. Todd Viney has the players working hard!"

I think Todds into player development with the young ones, more so???

>>>

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/coaches/tabid/17074/default.aspx

Todd Viney - General Manager - Player Development & Strategy

Viney%281%29.jpgViney will oversee the operations of the Club’s overall player development programs,,,,,

Firstly, unless you have either watched several training sessions (as I have) or more importantly, you are part of the coaching staff, I would not be commenting about JW's lack of intensity. I have seen him and he has been one of the most enthusiastic trainers there, in particular his voice. He may look like he is taking it easy at times, but I would say he is working as hard as anyone out there.

Have read your postings with interest, Yoko ....thankyou.

On the (limited) basis of attendance at one session,it seems to me that your comments on JW's training are spot on. On the day I went, his energy and enthusiasm stood out. At the end of several drills, he had a laugh with a mate- but then he screamed out encouragement to the next bloke in line- and charged back into the fray. The fact that his face wasn't lined with tension didn't mean he wasn't putting in. To the contrary he used his voice to add a level of intensity to all the competitive drills.

My mate who has always been sceptical about JW's potential had to agree that he was very impressive that day - not just for his obvious handling and kicking skills - but also for his enthusiasm

Edited by hoopla

daveytrain1:

tappysquads:

Don't read too much into the training reports people.

Oh sorry bizkit,

Did you take the time to be there and write up a report? I won't bother wasting my time writing one up next time, sorry.

Oh sorry bizkit,

Did you take the time to be there and write up a report? I won't bother wasting my time writing one up next time, sorry.

You completely missed the point. The point is player perforance in games (let alone at training) are open to interpretation and whilst the effort is appreciated by the people who do make the reports the fact remains it's hard to read a lot into training.

PLEASE keep the reports coming, I for one can't get away from work and would die wondering if not for those that do get there...

It was however very interesting that 2 people got it so different.

JW will be. Fine I think, he is playing a charity game of cricket at Eric Raven reserve in Glen Iris this Sunday along with Hodge, Murphy, and other AFL players. It's been organized by Paul Connors.

I can't wait to get down there and see how much bigger in body he is.

Thanks for the reports greatly appreciated.

Interesting to note that some on here dont think we will make the 8 this year. I for one expect us to. Its been 4 very long years without finals. We should have made it last year.

I am glad to hear training is diff to the last few seasons, considering how we performed you would bloody hope training would be diff espeically with a new coach..

Had enough of the cricket and tennis I want the footy back.

Go Dees.

Oh sorry bizkit, Did you take the time to be there and write up a report? I won't bother wasting my time writing one up next time, sorry.

I was going to say in response to Clint's comment that the great thing about getting reports from different posters is the diversity of opinion. Getting three reports gives a much richer picture than one report; five reports gives a richer picture than three, and so on.

I think (hope!) that Clint was trying to point out the folly of subsequent posters latching on to a single impression or comment from a single report as stand-or-fall proof of a player's overall attitude or whatever. I'd hope it's not the reporter being criticised.

Far as I'm concerned, like everyone else, your reports (and your opinions and comments and impressions that go with them) are very valuable and very highly appreciated - the more the better. Especially at this time of the year, it's like manna from heaven. Don't know how I'd get thru the week without them!

• Like 2

Why are all of you thanking these guys for their reports?

Clearly you weren't there, therefor you can't take anything from these reports, why bother reading them, let alone thanking them.

And Watts bashing? Really? Compared to what idiots have said about this kid all I did was tickle his chin.

Fair dinkum some of you are so precious.

And in response to me disregarding or ignoring any positives about Watts, no.

I know he can take a grab, I know he has better skills than most on our list, I do not worry about these things.

I worry about his drive to be the best he can possibly be, a comment in here made me voice that worry.

If that's a bashing, best arrest me for murdering Cameron Bruce and Nathan Jones.

Thanks everyone for the reports; please don't stop them coming. It is great having multiple reports so we can compare and get different points of view. Much appreciated.

Re Jack Watts: I think 2012 will be a breakout year from him. He showed steady improvement in 2011, and I think with a new coach, bigger body and more dynamic forward line this will be the year that he shows us what he's got.

• Like 1

Why are all of you thanking these guys for their reports?

Clearly you weren't there, therefor you can't take anything from these reports, why bother reading them, let alone thanking them.

And Watts bashing? Really? Compared to what idiots have said about this kid all I did was tickle his chin.

Fair dinkum some of you are so precious.

And in response to me disregarding or ignoring any positives about Watts, no.

I know he can take a grab, I know he has better skills than most on our list, I do not worry about these things.

I worry about his drive to be the best he can possibly be, a comment in here made me voice that worry.

If that's a bashing, best arrest me for murdering Cameron Bruce and Nathan Jones.

Don't knock them, the training reports were the highlight of our season last year.

• Like 1