• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Time Trials - Friday 13th January, 2012

Whispering_Jack

Deleted abusive post. Fan

I can fully understand your sentiment SD but you could also use the bolded comment above on the whole 2011 performance of half the entirelist. I agree the WCE game was an abysmal performance but also agree that Morton should have got better cred for his performance on Goodes.

The real test will be the 2012 season for the whole squad.

IMO I reckon Morton will surprise more than a few next season as a wingman with licence to go forward (rotating with Howe) and kick a few goals. Morton is a surprisingly good overhead mark and a good kick for goal from the 45m-55m mark.

He is 196cm IIRC? The old 'talls need time' analogy may be correct in this case. In any case, give the bloke 2012/13 to prove himself under the new game plan.

Some players need a 'structured' game plan and Morton strikes me as that type of player.

Sole focus? You're kidding me.

Physically.

Maybe "major" instead of "sole".

I doubt the football department is too concerned with Morton increasing his running capacity at this stage.

More than anything else, he should be focusing on weight gain and strength, in terms of physically building his body for the upcoming AFL season.

Well I guess we'll see whether or not he was worth pick 4 in the coming years....

Or maybe the same people will be using the 'he has a problem putting on weight' excuse for the rest of his career.

I can't see him ever becoming the player people continue to think he will become today. But I as a supporter and member of the team he plays for,

I am happy to be proven wrong.

It's the same [censored] that goes round every year. Any player that is drafted to Melbourne, people seem to rate no matter how many games they've played etc.

We need more realists on this forum.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

Well I guess we'll see whether or not he was worth pick 4 in the coming years....

Or maybe the same people will be using the 'he has a problem putting on weight' excuse for the rest of his career.

I can't see him ever becoming the player people continue to think he will become today. But I as a supporter and member of the team he plays for,

It's the same [censored] that goes round every year. Any player that is drafted to Melbourne, people seem to rate no matter how many games they've played etc.

Not true. I don't really rate any of the draftees from the ND last year. I want to be proven wrong, but I don't think I will be. I also think there have to be questions over the future of Cook given how many talls Neld is drafting. Surely that points to serious doubt about the stocks we already had?

I dont see many people expecting him to be a superstar. They have just chosen not to criticise him at every opportunity. I am pretty sure Cale Morton did not choose to be taken at pick 4 so again I dont see why that comes into calculations. Lets just see how his season progresses and whether he is doing what he can to improve on his performance before we start potting him in 2012.

Not true. I don't really rate any of the draftees from the ND last year. I want to be proven wrong, but I don't think I will be. I also think there have to be questions over the future of Cook given how many talls Neld is drafting. Surely that points to serious doubt about the stocks we already had?

Which draft? 2010 or 11?

The Cook one is an interesting point, but I think Neeld saw that we lacked height and muscle overall as a squad.

Cook still has time.

I dont see many people expecting him to be a superstar. They have just chosen not to criticise him at every opportunity. I am pretty sure Cale Morton did not choose to be taken at pick 4 so again I dont see why that comes into calculations. Lets just see how his season progresses and whether he is doing what he can to improve on his performance before we start potting him in 2012.

Well I don't know if you were posting here from 2007 onwards..(the year he was drafted).

Do you understand that I am not 'potting' him? I just have an opinion about a player on our list that doesn't seem to sit well with

biased one eyed supporters.

I don't rate the guy at the moment as a player.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

If you mean the 2010 draft thenHowe looks a good prospect to me and Tommy Mc is coming along pretty well, Nicholson is a good rookie. Cook is too early to tell, the kid uses the ball well, not overly quick and needs a good 10kg so lets see how the next couple of years are for him. The 2011 draft, lets see these kids play before we cast judgement, all I know is that Taggart is a beig kid at 188cm and 87kg and from his highlights he takes a strong mark and kicks well.

If only drafting were an exact science.

It's good to hear that the team is improving their times in the 3km, which you would hope occurs and I personally would not like to be the one of the two people who did not improve. I can see more track work for them.

I still do not see the obsession some people have with Cale Morton on this site. I am sure he fully understands what he needs to do to improve to get into the starting line up as it was made quite clear by Neeld.

From a Herald Sun Article:

Another in the gun is the talented Cale Morton, who was taken at No.4 in the 2007 draft, but is yet to fulfil his potential.

"It was a similar message to Jack. Get to know the conditioning staff and the strength staff really well. You've got four months to put yourself in the picture to play senior footy," Neeld said.

"Good luck, have a go at it, see how you go.

"I have had a chat with Cale and asked him where he thought he could play . . . and I think he told me any position except for the ruck, so that's a positive."

So the ball is now definitely in Cale's court and we should all just let him get on with it instead of constantly stating the bleeding obvious from the outer. All this thread needs now is to post about the captaincy or new coach and another conspiracy theory and we would have the Demonland Off Season Trifecta. 

God I love this Forum!

Do you understand that I am not 'potting' him? I just have an opinion about a player on our list that doesn't seem to sit well with

You made a poor evaluation of the video tape that was posted.

I doubt many supporters disagree with your view on his present output in the AFL. Some may disagree with you on his talent levels, but not many would disagree on output to date or the concerns over his contested ball winning ability.

• Like 1

Which draft? 2010 or 11?

If you mean the 2010 draft thenHowe looks a good prospect to me and Tommy Mc is coming along pretty well, Nicholson is a good rookie. Cook is too early to tell, the kid uses the ball well, not overly quick and needs a good 10kg so lets see how the next couple of years are for him. The 2011 draft, lets see these kids play before we cast judgement, all I know is that Taggart is a beig kid at 188cm and 87kg and from his highlights he takes a strong mark and kicks well.

If only drafting were an exact science.

I was referring to the 2011 ND. I'm not holding my breath on any of the guys we picked up. I'm thrilled with the players we got in 2010. Howe looks to be a great prospect and Davis and McDonald are coming along nicely. Cook remains a question, but as was pointed out he has time on his side.

Which draft? 2010 or 11?

The Cook one is an interesting point, but I think Neeld saw that we lacked height and muscle overall as a squad.

Cook still has time.

Well I don't know if you were posting here from 2007 onwards..(the year he was drafted).

Yep was here then. To be clear I dont see him in our starting 22 and doubt much will change by season's end. However he is the type of player a new coach can turn around. He is also the type of player that it can take some time for the body and mind to mature to live up to potential

I have no issue with your view. It is moreso why at this time of year should he be criticised and singled out when there is nothing to base it on. For all we know he ran a PB on Friday, put on weight over summer and is doing his best to absorb a new gameplan. Cant really ask much more at this time than that.

I wouldn't call you a realist.

Especially when you pot BP for missing out on Fyfe and Hanneberry.

I think you might mean "we need more poeple on this forum who agree with me"...

When did I pot BP for missing out on Fyfe and Hanneberry Lutz? Please show me the post?

You made a poor evaluation of the video tape that was posted.

I doubt many supporters disagree with your view on his present output in the AFL. Some may disagree with you on his talent levels, but not many would disagree on output to date or the concerns over his contested ball winning ability.

Ben-Hur. The video tape was posted by someone else who made an evaluation of it. A highlights tape. A tape that shows him receive the ball, kick to team mates and take a couple of marks.

I simply said that it was exactly that! A highlights tape! A tape of a guy who was receiving the ball and kicking to team mates.

Ben-Hur. The video tape was posted by someone else who made an evaluation of it. A highlights tape. A tape that shows him receive the ball, kick to team mates and take a couple of marks.

I didn't realise that the video tape was posted directly because of your comments, but on re-visiting the post I now see that it was, which is why you responded perhaps the way you did. Nonetheless, you stated, "You have shown me a clip of a guy who is constantly fed the ball from congestion and he kicks to team mates.", which is an average analysis of what was a pretty good, albeit small, sample of a 193cm tall showing his wares. If I saw the same reel of an anonymous draftee I'd be impressed. I agree though that a 90 second tape isn't much to go on and that he's far from lived up to expectations.

Contested ball winning, appetite for the contest, and decisions/quality execution under pressure haven't been his forte. Everyone knows this. Perhaps unlike you I do believe he has the capacity. The heart I'm not so sure about.

So you get your post deleted for having an opinion now? Nothing I said about Cale was abusive, I was simply stating facts. I'm not to blame because he's useless.

I wonder why the mods have allowed a topic headed "Time Trials" to go off topic into a "Cale Morton" thread for so long when they deleted posts from me and others in the Foxtel thread for going off topic when all we were doing was politely discussing how Foxtel's marketing policy affected take-up of the AFL channel. Did someone seemed scared we might get on the wrong side of Fox? Consistency please gents/ladies.

I wonder why the mods have allowed a topic headed "Time Trials" to go off topic into a "Cale Morton" thread for so long when they deleted posts from me and others in the Foxtel thread for going off topic when all we were doing was politely discussing how Foxtel's marketing policy affected take-up of the AFL channel. Did someone seemed scared we might get on the wrong side of Fox? Consistency please gents/ladies.

Please read the Code of Conduct and Moderating Guide. I've selected one area that may help to explain.

As moderators we do our best to moderate fairly and maintain the posting environment of the forum but we are volunteers and provide our time as and when we are able to. No moderator will read every post, moderators will view situations differently and some will have more time than others to explain their moderating decisions to members.

And this for Steamin Demon who has been sent a PM.

Player abuse is the most difficult area to moderate. Whilst we do not want to stifle player comment and criticism player abuse is NOT acceptable. Comments should be constructive and not destructive. Comments such as "player X is useless" or "player X is crap" are NOT acceptable. Comments such as "player X would need to improve to stay on our list" or "player X was poor today because ...." are acceptable. Common sense will be your best guide here but if you think something is marginal don't say it.

For those worried about only 25 players completing the time trial - I am sure that there would have been, or will be, ad-hoc time trials for those who didn't take part.

45 players are not ready to run 3km as fast as they can at the same time in January.

Shock horror...

23 out of 25 PB's is a fantastic result, certainly comes across like Misson is already making an impact.

I'm not so sure that it was 23 out of 25 PB's. The reports I read spoke of 23 bettering their times for the same trials in December but not necesssarily achieving PB's.

However, if there were in fact 23 PB's that would be truly exceptional.

I'm not so sure that it was 23 out of 25 PB's. The reports I read spoke of 23 bettering their times for the same trials in December but not necesssarily achieving PB's.

However, if there were in fact 23 PB's that would be truly exceptional.

“We only had two players [from Friday’s three-km time-trial] who didn’t better their times from last time.

“We had 23 out of 25 who ran PBs (personal bests).”

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/127877/default.aspx

“We only had two players [from Friday’s three-km time-trial] who didn’t better their times from last time.

“We had 23 out of 25 who ran PBs (personal bests).”

http://www.melbourne...77/default.aspx

Yes, but what if there were 6 players who were running their first 3 km trial.

This statement doesn't mean only 25 ran.

Yes, but what if there were 6 players who were running their first 3 km trial.

This statement doesn't mean only 25 ran.

??? 25 ran, 23 improved their times (and at the same time had PB's). All 25 had previously run 3 k's - or they wouldn't have had times to better (or not).