Best year as a Dees fan

s-t-i-n-g-a

McKernan was always at his best against Melbourne. Between he and Kent Kingsley, they always saved their best footy for us.

Pretty sure Carey played in that final, but, as always, Neitz had his measure. Our forwardline wasn't that potent - sure it had big names in it, but they were toward the end of their careers.

North were the better team, but I do clearly remember the umpires played a significant part in the win, and there was a hint of controversy around the scheduling. When the Wiz took a screamer within the first couple of minutes, I thought it might be his (and our) night.

Carey played, but I'm pretty sure Ingo played on him and probably kept him luke warm instead of hot IIRC. Neitz played up forward and rotated around with Lyon and Ox with Jeffrey Farmer making up the potent forward line of that year. The papers of that year highlighted the contributions of the four late in the season. It was considered potent with all four contributing significantly to the scoreboard.

Kangaroos midfield were too good for us that night.

Thank you for the reply. As you may have worked out this is my first post. Yes i did with my little mate "Titchy" Watched all the Final games Sat behind the goals at the Richmond end Been folowing Melb since I was introduced to Ray Wartman as a little kid probaly around the 40s Ray played for the Demons around that time If memory serves me correctly on the wing

Carey played, but I'm pretty sure Ingo played on him and probably kept him luke warm instead of hot IIRC. Neitz played up forward and rotated around with Lyon and Ox with Jeffrey Farmer making up the potent forward line of that year. The papers of that year highlighted the contributions of the four late in the season. It was considered potent with all four contributing significantly to the scoreboard.

Kangaroos midfield were too good for us that night.

Considering we ended up getting 3 goals out of those 4 players, they obviously did a good job shutting our potent forward line down.

Just researching the game, it was Jamie Shanahan that played on Carey and won that battle. Farmer's mark was within the first minute, and missed the shot from 30m. The key point being brought up was about Melbourne not converting their scoring opportunities. And how could I forget, Lyon coming back from injury when he was clearly not 100%. Daniher also commented about how we were beaten by the better team, but I also remember the talk about Melbourne having to back up after a 6 day break rather than the standard 7 that it is now.

I still remember the umpires were terrible.

To say that North should've won the premiership means as much as me saying that we should've won the Prelim. Reality is, we didn't, and nor did they.

Considering we ended up getting 3 goals out of those 4 players, they obviously did a good job shutting our potent forward line down.

Just researching the game, it was Jamie Shanahan that played on Carey and won that battle. Farmer's mark was within the first minute, and missed the shot from 30m. The key point being brought up was about Melbourne not converting their scoring opportunities. And how could I forget, Lyon coming back from injury when he was clearly not 100%. Daniher also commented about how we were beaten by the better team, but I also remember the talk about Melbourne having to back up after a 6 day break rather than the standard 7 that it is now.

I still remember the umpires were terrible.

To say that North should've won the premiership means as much as me saying that we should've won the Prelim. Reality is, we didn't, and nor did they.

Don't disagree with any of that billy2803, but Kangaroos were the favoured team all year and kicked themselves out of it on Grand Final day. Then there was star called Andrew Mcleod who also had a fair bit of influence.

Jamie Shanahan...that's right. Back from a nightmare GF in '97 on Jarman.

I think if we had our time again for the 90's, my 3 wishes for that decade would be: -

* Lyon to have no back problems

* Tingay to play injury free

* Schwarz to have strong knees

Thank you for the reply. As you may have worked out this is my first post. Yes i did with my little mate "Titchy" Watched all the Final games Sat behind the goals at the Richmond end Been folowing Melb since I was introduced to Ray Wartman as a little kid probaly around the 40s Ray played for the Demons around that time If memory serves me correctly on the wing

Fantastic. Thanks for the insight V.O.D. You would have seen quite a few Premierships. Hopefully there's a great era of footy for the MFC just around the corner !

Don't disagree with any of that billy2803, but Kangaroos were the favoured team all year and kicked themselves out of it on Grand Final day. Then there was star called Andrew Mcleod who also had a fair bit of influence.

Jamie Shanahan...that's right. Back from a nightmare GF in '97 on Jarman.

I think if we had our time again for the 90's, my 3 wishes for that decade would be: -

* Lyon to have no back problems

* Tingay to play injury free

* Schwarz to have strong knees

At 7-6 they weren't living up to their favourite's status. They were still called Norf back then too (changed as of 1999).

If those 3 wishes were granted, we wouldn't be celebrating our 49th anniversary in 2012.

Can't resist posting in this thread.

The ride in 1987 was the most anxous, thrilling ride and I still say we would have beaten the Blues on GF day.

1994. Best Melbourne side I have seen. Young Shwarz and Neitz, Lyon, Tingay, Jimmy, Brett Lovett, Febeys, and the mercurial Jakovich. When we were "on" no one could get it out of our hands. You know that dreadful constant feeling you have as a Dees follower - that we can stuff up any game even if we are 6 goals up? I did not have that feeling in '94.

2002 - Semi final night against Crows. The best football I have ever seen, but it only went for 2.5 quarters. Oh the pain.

2004. Top of the ladder and then... oh well.

Edited by Maldonboy38

The early to mid 60's were obviously among the better years but the memories have somewhat faded over time and then there was 2000 when Green and Bruce were firing and we made the GF (although that wasn't such a good memory)

But really, in some ways this year is one that I regard as one of our best... it has been a disaster in terms of performance during the season, but it has also been a year where change was forced and for the first time in my memory, the club has made significant changes that will affect the entire culture. I cannot recall ever feeling so positive about the direction in which the club is now heading - I'm sure I've said that before, but this time I really mean it ;-)

At 7-6 they weren't living up to their favourite's status. They were still called Norf back then too (changed as of 1999).

Not at Round 13, but by Round 22 they finished on top a game in front of the Dogs and were the favoured team leading in for the Premiership.

23 long years for this day . A few "Mullets" flying around ( I'm talking about some of the male "Demonlanders" in the crowd ! )

Part 2 is "post" #40

Edited by Macca

Elinination final '87 - did not just make the finals for the first time in 23 years but totally destroyed the opposition. Norf president declared it the most embarrassing day of his life is the single best game and '98 the best year for the recovery from mediocrity.

'64 was good too.

Edited by pitmaster

1987 for me it ended years of schoolyard ridicule for following a bottom side, cried my eyes out when my fellow countryman ran over the mark and Bucky kicked that Goal, but Finals disapointment as a Dees fan was all new that year. Still think we would have struggled the following week with the injuries we would have had.

1998 was another great year it was great to see our stars all fit and playing and Jeff White was at the top of his game. 2000 proved to be a false dawn but I did enjoy the second half of that season.

The years from 2004 to 2006 were the most dissapointing that was our window but Danners never knew how to build a defence.

Fantastic. Thanks for the insight V.O.D. You would have seen quite a few Premierships. Hopefully there's a great era of footy for the MFC just around the corner !

Yes. The ones in the 50 s but did not witness them as away from Melb However I was at the G in 1958 when I saw Hooker Harrison and Weidiman C Wood,at this stage cannot call them The F---h,demolish us and so stopped us equallng their record of 4 consecitive premierships, The forum has been a godsend to me as I now live in Q L D, by keeping me up todate with the goings on. We seem to assembling a team as Norm Smith did in the early 50s, Trust we will return to those days.

Yes. The ones in the 50 s but did not witness them as away from Melb However I was at the G in 1958 when I saw Hooker Harrison and Weidiman C Wood,at this stage cannot call them The F---h,demolish us and so stopped us equallng their record of 4 consecitive premierships, The forum has been a godsend to me as I now live in Q L D, by keeping me up todate with the goings on. We seem to assembling a team as Norm Smith did in the early 50s, Trust we will return to those days.

There wouldn't be too many on this site that saw the 48' premiership live - fabulous !

Reckon our 5 flags in 6 years is unique in it's own way . It's something that may never be matched and we should all be mighty proud of .

Welcome to the "Funhouse" VOD !

87 by a street as many others on here agree with. I was living in Sydney at the time and watched the rd 22 match against Footscray at a pro Rugby RSL club and had to demand to get the match on a TV in a corner with my bro. Yelled ourselves stupid and all the diggers wondered what the he'll we were watching? The NMFC thrashing the following week was just as surreal. a record margin ( not sure if it still stands?) and not many gave us a chance in hell. So proud to be a Demon that year, despite the Prelim nightmare that never goes away.

'87 ... one of the great fairytale runs in Australian sport.

'94 was the best MFC side I've seen and we would've taken the pennant had we not drawn the short straw of a prelim road trip to Perth.

these ^^

Surprised that so few on this thread have mentioned '94.. I reckon Schwarz alone was worth the price of admission that year.. Putting aside the belting we got in Perth in the prelim, the three games prior to that were probably the best of his career... 9 goals straight against the Swans in rd 22 at the SCG, turned the game against the Blues in week 1 of the finals, before teaming up with G.Lyon to smash the Doggies in the semi.

Everyone remembers Garry's 10 goals of course, but i'll never forget Shwarta's 3rd quarter pirouhette at CHF to evade a defender before passing the ball laces out to Lyon, who was infringed before he could complete the mark. Sandy Roberts called him "Nureyev" and you can hear the crowd gasping their amazement and delight. MAGIC

I remember round 22 in 1998. Richmond needed a win to play finals, and in front of 76 000 at the G, we belted the sh!t out of them!

It's hard to pick a best year since most of them have such ordinary endings...

Part 2 of that round 22 clash vs Footscray

Macca thank you so much for post #38 & #40, this day was my first great memory as a Dees supporter and took me back to the joy as a 15 year old I had in ralising for the first time that my Team would be playing finals. Living in Perth at the time I still remember listening to the game on the radio bting my Nails as we held on and they crossed every time to the Cats and Hawks game at Geelong.

Making the GF in 1988 & 2000 provided me with great joy but this was I would love to relive that Saturday afternoon again listening to that game again, my da like everyone else in the country took the Dees up as his 2nd team that week and through the finals and I still recall him yelling Yes when they confirmed the Cats had been beaten.

Happy Memories, I hope to share teh same joy with my boys when we take off the big prize