Training - Wednesday 7th December, 2011 @ Casey Fields

Whispering_Jack

I think you are out of luck I believe they have a break over that period. But welcome to God's country!!!!

Thanks for the reply, OD.

Born and rasied in the Western District (Cliff Young country). Always great to get back home.

I know a lot of us look at the club with rose coloured glasses, but intensity, game plan, physicality and structure seem to be the big changes from the reports we are getting. To Maldonboy, Freak & Joeboy as a supporter who lives in WA thank you very much for the updates becuase if it aint blue & gold we don't here about it in this town.

Have to say I'm looking forward to seeing how the new training and natural evolution of the younger players will see us perform on the real stage this season.

Keep up the good work guys

MAgic guys. Thanks for the detail. Love it.

Seems to me like there are specific zone and defensive drills being formulated. Love the fact thee is plenty of talk - it has really been missing in recent years. No encouragement or leadership. The defence is the obvious area we need to fix. Kick ins, defending kick ins, zoning etc. Great to hear that there are solid plans being implemented and the intensity is UP UP UP.

That will probably mean they fall over half way through the year but I don't care so long as they start like they mean it in the first 8-10 games.

Got a measurement in cm's for Leroy Williams? How does he stack up against Watts/Frawley/Howe etc. Does he look like a genuine tall? Could be kind of ironic that just when we trade for Mitch Clark and bring in Sellar we find a guy on the rookie list who's playing in the EFL and has real talent. What has been so good about him? Sounds like he moves well for a big guy who hasn't done any AFL (or even VFL) training. That's exciting.

According to the 26 October edition of Inside Football Leigh Williams is 195cm and 92kg. He turns 22 next May.

Wayne Gable, the football director at Norwood FC in the EFL (first division) says of him:

"Leigh is the first on the track, first in the gym and is totally committed to being as good as he can be. He is a strong mark both on the lead and in a contest, he is quite quick and good at ground level. He was double and triple teamed all year yet kicked 80-odd goals".

Of course, you have to factor in that club officials do tend to give glowing endorsements for their players in these situations. I haven't seen him myself and one question I would ask is where was he three or four years ago when the best of his age group were in the TAC Cup system? Was he a late starter, is he a late bloomer or hyped up a little?

Anyone know a little more of his story?

Apologies for partially answering my own question but I decided to do some research and came up with this 2010 Age article by Paul Daffey:- It's tight in the east in what looks a stellar season

The story of the Eastern League season is Norwood. A decade ago the ''Norsemen'' (yes, that's their nickname) were in division four. This year they may play in their first finals series in division one.

The Norsemen's revelation has been Leigh Williams, who was unable to play with TAC Cup club Eastern Ranges because of injury. Last year, he played in Norwood's defence.

This year the 20-year-old started in defence, but has dominated since moving forward. On Saturday, he kicked seven goals and was best on ground as the Norsemen beat Knox by 96 points. At 195cm and 92kg, Williams is now drawing interest from AFL scouts.

I also found a reference to him being in an Eastern Ranges Under 16 squad in 2006 with Rory Sloane being the only notable player from that list.

Leigh Williams has been told by the Dees they will pick him up.

Ssshhh!

Redleg is right, the RD is much more exciting.

It's like a Christmas morning where you don't know what you are going to get except that what you will get will be thankful to be given to you.

Ok, the metaphor fell apart at the end there, but you know what I am saying...

The first drills were all about close in checking while giving/receiving handballs.The coaches were instructing the players that once they had handballed to a team mate, they should look for an opposition body to crash into to knock them off the contest. So player A would handball, be crashed into by a coach with a great whopping body pad, and then be expected to find an opposition player and likewise crash into him. All this had to take place in a small confined area. Leigh Brown was very vocal with his group and was making the players never stop moving at a stoppage. I thought this was intersting because a frustration over the past two seasons has been the lack of movement around stoppages during games.

Loving this as I've been harping about thae lack of shepparding and bumping of opposition players once the ball has been dished of for a few years.

Often the ball would be dished off and our player would watch on as the opposition chaser ran past him to complete the tackle on the reciever.

Great reports all.

Often the ball would be dished off and our player would watch on as the opposition chaser ran past him to complete the tackle on the reciever.

I share your pain, I have oft looked on in frustration as an opposition player breaks away from a contest and runs on to the next contest, or to be a free man, while our player just stands there, seemingly content with having provided said contest.

I share your pain, I have oft looked on in frustration as an opposition player breaks away from a contest and runs on to the next contest, or to be a free man, while our player just stands there, seemingly content with having provided said contest.

Hopefully this will then lead to our players at stoppages helping our tagged players. We all know how Flash can't shake a tag, but he doesn't get any bloody support from his team. All the good sides work over the taggers to give the key player the best chance of shaking it. It's only taggers like Ling that still have an impact even with that attention.

Hopefully this will then lead to our players at stoppages helping our tagged players. We all know how Flash can't shake a tag, but he doesn't get any bloody support from his team. All the good sides work over the taggers to give the key player the best chance of shaking it. It's only taggers like Ling that still have an impact even with that attention.

Flash can't shake a tag because he has never worked hard enough to get a way from one. It is easy to tag someone that doesn't have a high work rate. Good to see our new coaches have studied our players well and know exactly what we need to do. We have the talent around the ball we just need for them to work for each other to create space. Nathan Jones has the potential to be a great clearance player the amount of times he gets his hands on the footy at stoppages just to be held up straight away is huge. If someone can create a little breathing space and Jones takes first option he will be very good.

Flash can't shake a tag because he has never worked hard enough to get a way from one. It is easy to tag someone that doesn't have a high work rate. Good to see our new coaches have studied our players well and know exactly what we need to do. We have the talent around the ball we just need for them to work for each other to create space. Nathan Jones has the potential to be a great clearance player the amount of times he gets his hands on the footy at stoppages just to be held up straight away is huge. If someone can create a little breathing space and Jones takes first option he will be very good.

Judd's workrate is exceptional, but he still needs help from his teammates at stoppages.

Thanks for the reply, OD.

Born and rasied in the Western District (Cliff Young country). Always great to get back home.

It is my opinion thevplayers will train on the 16th @Gosh's Paddock @ 9.45am.Furthermore, they may train same venue, same time the following Monday, BUT I would go on the16th,keep checking the MFC website under training times.

Maloney, McKenzie, Nicholson all come from Cliff's country or close by.

It is my opinion thevplayers will train on the 16th @Gosh's Paddock @ 9.45am.Furthermore, they may train same venue, same time the following Monday, BUT I would go on the16th,keep checking the MFC website under training times.

Maloney, McKenzie, Nicholson all come from Cliff's country or close by.

Thanks JCB. Fingers crossed on the Monday as I get in late on the Friday.

Will keep an eye on the website.

Cheers