• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Scullduggery Thread

rumpole

This is all a publicity stunt and it's working in Melbourne at least.

The AFL won't overrule Ken Woods' decision. Too many of its apparatchiks including Demetriou and Anderson have already slapped themselves on the back by using it as an example of the AFL's evenhandedness and transparency over the matter.

If the decision were to be changed I could see Ken Woods handing in his resignation over this.

In any event, the AFL could easily neutralise the decision by giving GWS an increase of a little over $100k to its salary cap. Any excuse will do and who, apart from some members of the public, would complain?

I rest easy knowing that himself and his families reputation will be tarnished for the continuation of his career and he will forever be known as a liar & one of the most (if not the most) over paid players to ever play AFL in the 21st century. Vent over :)

I rest easy knowing that himself and his families reputation will be tarnished for the continuation of his career and he will forever be known as a liar & one of the most (if not the most) over paid players to ever play AFL in the 21st century. Vent over :)

I think the second H in your title should be a W, should it not.

• Like 2

What is disturbing to me is the AFL appears to have lost its moral compass on this issue.

Their whatever it takes attitude to establish a beach head Western Sydney means that actions that would be significant breaches by other clubs become worthy of re-examination, players who take a $1M to become the best paid in the league are courageous, income splitting cap avoidance schemes are "strokes of genius" and anyone who questions the "vision" is victimising GWS and its players.

The reality is this the other clubs (including ours) are making sacrifices to help GWS get established and expect it and the AFL then to play by the spirit of the game and rules. My view: putting parents on a salary creates a distortion in the market for players, players are fully entitled to get the best reward for themselves but that’s exactly what it is hardly an act of courage and throwing money at a player beyond what the market would ordinarily bear is not an act of genius. In my view a CEO who applauds such nonsense and forgets the sacrifices being made by the whole football community is not acting in the best interests of the game.

Finally, GWS appear to have adopted a position of gloating and goading which has been a PR disaster. They deserve the bad press and supporters response.

What GWS should have done is thanked the Clubs (who by the way are the reason the AFL exists) for the sacrifices they are making in talent and financially.

Good post. Agree.

I think the second H in your title should be a W, should it not.

Yeah.

I am leaning towards DC's HWFUA. Us and Around being the last two words...

And, yeah, that family have entered the lexicon and the zeitgeist and it ain't good.

In any event, the AFL could easily neutralise the decision by giving GWS an increase of a little over $100k to its salary cap. Any excuse will do and who, apart from some members of the public would complain?

And they probably will. Stand by for new GWS Salary Cap amendment late in 2012.

I am just reading the HUN now and it states that Tom $cully feels victimized through all this!! $6mill & he still feels hard done by..

Shut the fcuk up Tom, comments like that make me sick. Just wait till you step out onto the green grass sunshine.... Just wait.

Do they really believe that all this whingeing and bleating and underhandedness is making them attractive to the western Sydney public? Are they giving their public the impression of a team with a strong character or a weak character? Imagine if the NRL carried on like this if they wanted to put a 2nd rugby league team in Melbourne - would it make you feel more or less inclined to support them?

In answer to Nuggets report on Sheedy saying they have 12500 members, check out gws web site. Sheeds is only slightly out, they report a membership tally of.......... WAIT FOR IT.......... 456 YES boys and girls Australia now has 456 certified idiots.

In answer to Nuggets report on Sheedy saying they have 12500 members, check out gws web site. Sheeds is only slightly out, they report a membership tally of.......... WAIT FOR IT.......... 456 YES boys and girls Australia now has 456 certified idiots.

So where does the 12.500 figure come from. I have heard this figure bandied about elsewhere. Is there any truth within this AFL product? And that is what it is...a product.

So where does the 12.500 figure come from. I have heard this figure bandied about elsewhere. Is there any truth within this AFL product? And that is what it is...a product.

Might have been their 2010 figure.

I know they had over 5k members from the ACT for 2010.

But good on Matthews for annoying head office.

"walked away from the AFL"....more like, "Matthews, we have another job for you and it's currently beyond our control. We're relocating you to Western Sydney for 2-3 years to improve it's damaged brand and help steady this sinking ship. If you choose to accept this mission, you'll be back here at head office before you can say, 'AFL recruiting Giant Phil Scully is our No.1 recruiter'. If you choose not to, you can be the CEO's right hand man in choosing next year's AFL Grand Final entertainment. Now, what's it going to be ?"

Matthews is trying to help the AFL save face by having Phil Scully's packet outside the cap to reduce the already overflowing stigma and stench for the future so it can bark out to everyone's amusement in 2016 that they handled the new venture with 'integrity' despite the difficulties west of sydney and hail it as a success, as it was all handled legitimately.

If there is a backflip, Ken Wood should go straight to Demetriou and slap him across the face with his papers and hand them in to resign. And give him an earful in the process.

Grant Thomas' blog (a link somewhere else) stated and hinted that Dale Holmes has been given an order of sorts (suggests package) to remain silent on GWS matters. It stinks if true.

They've created a monster and they'll try and remain hush hush until time heals wounds. That's why they've got serial spruiker Sheedy pushing "for the greater good of the game, forget the integrity, this is a new frontier where rules are bent" line. Sell, sell, sell.

As an aside. Reading between the lines in Thomo's speculative piece, I wonder if anything did transpire between the GWS and Eddiewood recently. Probably just nothing. But if I was Eddie (the bullish Eddie), my intent would be to nail Demetriou, Allen, Silvagni and Matthews in a meeting highlighting a few issues and the importance of Collingwood whilst mentioning which star players are off limits at the Pies, or else....(your guess is as good as mine).

I reckon Eddie would. But what would I know ?

It's all about the dollar and power.

Grant Thomas' blog (a link somewhere else) stated and hinted that Dale Holmes has been given an order of sorts (suggests package) to remain silent on GWS matters. It stinks if true.

Holmes would get a far better package from spilling his guts to the media.

Whatever truths and lies are being kept among a select few, they will eventually be made public.

Anyone know Assange's ph number?