Will anybody come out to watch them play?

Chelly

Do you know what kind of a massive crowd that same "blockbuster" of a game (Penrith v Parramatta) attracted in July this year? 17,333! I really doubt that it will have much impact on the crowds that get along to the GWS v Swans game at all. The simple truth is that Sydney people are not as fanatical about their sport as their counterparts in the southern states.

For what it's worth, I think the game will attract a reasonable crowd for a couple of reasons: it will have a lot of curiosity value and Sydney Swans supporters will be out in droves salivating at the prospect of witnessing a victory of epic proportions in terms of score. Hopefully there will also be a few Dees faithful in attendance passing on their "best wishes" to TS... I will certainly try my best to make it along.

Edited by hardtack

Its a genius bit of ambush marketing by the NRL in my opinion. Theyve had a week to dissect and absorb the AFL draw, and theyve attempted to fortify their stronghold that is the Greater Western Sydney area by flooding the market with marquee games early, nullifying or greatly reducing any chance of league fans going over to Snake Gully to 'have a look', of course they wont if their beloved Parammatta/etc have a derby against a local hated rival..

Won't mean much the Parra/Pen game.

NRL fans seem to hate actually going to the game - their attendances are awful.

It's a 'TV sport' they say!

Every sport is, you either like your sport enough to want to watch it live or you don't.

NSW NRL fans don't.

Anyone who thinks the AFL wouldn't do the same is kidding themselves. In 2031, when the Greater Western Melbourne Ogres (what a mouthful) are playing their first NRL game against the Storm, you can bet that the AFL will schedule a Collingwood-Carlton blockbuster for the same time. In the immortal words of Michael Corleone and Donald Trump, 'It's not personal. It's just business.'

Won't mean much the Parra/Pen game.

NRL fans seem to hate actually going to the game - their attendances are awful.

It's a 'TV sport' they say!

Every sport is, you either like your sport enough to want to watch it live or you don't.

NSW NRL fans don't.

I think that the real issue that works in GWS's favour, is the fact that NRL turns off families in droves and AFL has a much more family friendly image. As I said in my previous post, that Eels v Panthers game in July on attracted 17,333 punters and I really believe that the GWS v Swans game will exceed that easily; the story may be different later in the year when they have lost their first 4 games by an average of 150 points, but until then they will have novelty appeal.

Edited by hardtack

The Parramatta - Penrith 'Blockbuster' is currently scheduled for Parramata Stadium which google tells me has a capacity of 20,000.

The defensive moves by the NRL in many ways vindicate the AFL expansion into Western Sydney. The Giants will never win over the rusted on league fans but they might win over some of their kids and enough of the rest of the residents of Western Sydney to be viable. In many ways the AFL expansion is as much about money as it is about access to first choice athletic talent and in many ways the test for the Giants will just not be their own viability but the emergence of first choice athletes from the Western Sydney choosing AFL and thus expanding the depth of talent of the draft/player pool. To quote the famous New Zealand Philsopher Rachel Hunter 'it wont happen overnight but it will happen".

• Like 1

can't say that I'll be at that particular game - however will be moving up to Canberra over the Chrissy break. Will probably go to all their games a Manuka oval - especially the one where I'll have a reserved seat for the dee's game.

Win for the AFL. If the AFL gets a low crowd, it can "blame" the competition and everyone in Sydney will accept that. If the AFL gets a bigger than expected crowd, the NRL will be embarrassed.

Or, to put it another way, if the NRL crowd is bigger than the AFL, the NRL gets no credit because a bigger crowd would be expected; if it gets a lower crowd, it's embarrassed.

can't say that I'll be at that particular game - however will be moving up to Canberra over the Chrissy break. Will probably go to all their games a Manuka oval - especially the one where I'll have a reserved seat for the dee's game.

Depending on your age - let me know if you are keen on playing some footy up here.

PM me if you are keen.

I think Gallop is kidding himself really. Yes its an ambush and yes the AFL would do the same, as you would. . Only difference is if the AFL did it against the NRL's gate it would have an effect.

As rpfc suggest theyre an apathetic bunch NRl supporters.. if it involves anything more than a walk from the lounge to the kitchen or the loo then its all too hard.

What we consider a dismal turnout is to them a 'blockbuster' , its either sad or hilarious. The AFL wont be looking for big crowds for many a year at Giants games.

Quite simply the NRL is scared.

It's fully what i expected...The NRL are reacting on the Front foot....It will be up to the sydney public...

The NRL would be more concerned though...If they pull small crowds during this initial period it will be very hard to pull them back, unless GW$ become a perennial Basket Case.

The Gloves are on in both corners.

It's fully what i expected...The NRL are reacting on the Front foot....It will be up to the sydney public...

The NRL would be more concerned though...If they pull small crowds during this initial period it will be very hard to pull them back, unless GW$ become a perennial Basket Case.

The Gloves are on in both corners.

The really sad part WYL is the AFL will keep ploughing money into GWS until they do.

It may take 20 years but they will keep on keeping on.

This is about Football in NSW over the next 20 years not the next 2-3 seasons.

It is all about future TV rights deals.

I hope we belt them every year for the next 10 but for finiancial reasons we will be better off if GWS succeeds quickly the drain on clubs like the MFC will be then be much less.

Edited by old dee

The really sad part WYL is the AFL will keep ploughing money into GWS until they do.

It may take 20 years but they will keep on keeping on.

This is about Football in NSW over the next 20 years not the next 2-3 seasons.

It is all about future TV rights deals.

I hope we belt them every year for the next 10 but for finiancial reasons we will be better off if GWS succeeds quickly the drain on clubs like the MFC will be then be much less.

I agree 100%...my point is that if the NRL cannot beat GW$ in attendances in the early part of 2012 i doubt they ever will, regardless of how irksome i find GW$ the AFL will back them for a lot longer than the NRL can back their own clubs.

I agree 100%...my point is that if the NRL cannot beat GW$ in attendances in the early part of 2012 i doubt they ever will, regardless of how irksome i find GW$ the AFL will back them for a lot longer than the NRL can back their own clubs.

I reckon there will be a lot of free tickets given away the first year.

Not sure what other people think but IMO NRL is a game that is better on TV than in the flesh, I think AFL is the reverse.

Not sure what other people think but IMO NRL is a game that is better on TV than in the flesh, I think AFL is the reverse.

How can anyone say that sport isn't better watching with your own two eyes?

The NRL fans who say that the higher AFL attendances don't matter because NRL is a 'TV sport' are tacitly saying they don't like watching their sport as much as AFL fans.

How can anyone say that sport isn't better watching with your own two eyes?

The NRL fans who say that the higher AFL attendances don't matter because NRL is a 'TV sport' are tacitly saying they don't like watching their sport as much as AFL fans.

This is the extreme rpfc but have you ever been to a NFL game.

It is so stop start and takes 2.5 - 3 hours to play a 1 hour game.

It is the most boring football game on earth however put it on Tv with replays and good commentary and I enjoy it.

While not to the same extent I think NRL is similar.

I don,t mind watching it on TV but the games I have been to leave me bored.

Basket ball is terrible on TV but I like it live and go to a number of Tigers games ever year.

Only my opinion but I think some sports are definately better on TV.

Yes i have heard that quoted to...I have never watched an NRL Game live, but i have spoken to many who love watching the Storm play, so i find it a "running Scared" comment.

Although i think Victorians love winter sports far more than the rest of the east coast...so the storm will always be well attended.

Yes i have heard that quoted to...I have never watched an NRL Game live, but i have spoken to many who love watching the Storm play, so i find it a "running Scared" comment.

Although i think Victorians love winter sports far more than the rest of the east coast...so the storm will always be well attended.

It does not hurt if the team plays well.

If the storm were finishing in the last 3-4 would they have such good attendances I think not.

But you are correct it is in the blood of Victorians.

The two Vic soccer clubs are top of competition.

Ho, hum.........does anyone other than Dumbitrou actually care? $heedy is too senile to remember, and T$ has his cash - in a year or so he will pledge lifelong loyalty to the latest highest bidder!

This is the extreme rpfc but have you ever been to a NFL game.

It is so stop start and takes 2.5 - 3 hours to play a 1 hour game.

It is the most boring football game on earth however put it on Tv with replays and good commentary and I enjoy it.

While not to the same extent I think NRL is similar.

I don,t mind watching it on TV but the games I have been to leave me bored.

I was talking in the abstract, not about you, old dee.

The NFL has sold out crowds every week. The AFL has far superior crowds to NRL.

If you watch a game important to you, and one you could attend, on TV instead of live because you are watching a 'TV sport' it is because your desire for said sport is lower than others.

It's a cop-out of biblical proportions to say that a sport is a 'TV sport' and that's why one doesn't go.

If you watch a game important to you, and one you could attend, on TV instead of live because you are watching a 'TV sport' it is because your desire for said sport is lower than others.

It's a cop-out of biblical proportions to say that a sport is a 'TV sport' and that's why one doesn't go.

dead right we are in total agreement.

The NFL is a unique situation

There is typically one club per state. There are only 16 matches with 8 home games

That means a state like Minnesota (Vikings) gets a total of 8 games a season at the Metrodome (60,000 people) for a state the size of Victoria

The tickets naturally are all sold out before the season starts

I think you have to buy a whole season and they are not cheap

Typically social clubs at corporations buy in bulk then employees bid for their turn

Now baseball is a whole different ballpark (pun intended) with their approx 160 games per season

Edited by daisycutter

The NFL is a unique situation

There is typically one club per state. There are only 16 matches with 8 home games

That means a state like Minnesota (Vikings) gets a total of 8 games a season at the Metrodome (60,000 people) for a state the size of Victoria

The tickets naturally are all sold out before the season starts

I think you have to buy a whole season and they are not cheap

Typically social clubs at corporations buy in bulk then employees bid for their turn

Now baseball is a whole different ballpark (pun intended) with their approx 160 games per season

DC have you ever been to a NFL game.

I went to a couple of times in the mid 80,s

Taken by some yanks I was working with at the time.

Very stop start, I enjoy it a lot more on TV

DC have you ever been to a NFL game.

I went to a couple of times in the mid 80,s

Taken by some yanks I was working with at the time.

Very stop start, I enjoy it a lot more on TV

Yeah, been to a couple of Viking's games.

Very stop start and the rules take a lot of getting used to especially the rules at the end of the game like basketball where they reall stretch it out.

Overall I didn't mind it but I'd place it after union/league but before the beautiful game