9/11...Where were you when you heard??

Sir Why You Little

In Tolarnos, but the tele was off. I remember talking to a woman who was going to NY in the morning, and for some reason I said dont you think its dangerous at the moment? mmm, I dont know why, I just said it. Didnt find out till walking to the Elwood 7/11 next morning noticing everyone reading the papers saw the towers on the front pages and thought gee our newspapers are starting to look like English tabloids, went home thinking if there really was some kind of disaster then it would be on all the TV channels.....switched on the tele when I got home and stayed in the loungeroom for the next 5hrs.....I still have a copy of the H/Sun from that day.

Was Barney at the bar?

I was in year 9. We were watching a movie at the time - Miss Congeniality I think.

Slept in, decided not to go to school as I was heading to Egypt the next day and we had some stuff to get ready. Was bouncing off the walls with excitement when my Step Dad came home and threw Herald onto the bed and all I saw was that horrible picture.

Spent the next three weeks watching the news constantly. Those videos still give me chills.

I was in year 9. We were watching a movie at the time - Miss Congeniality I think.

Slept in, decided not to go to school as I was heading to Egypt the next day and we had some stuff to get ready. Was bouncing off the walls with excitement when my Step Dad came home and threw Herald onto the bed and all I saw was that horrible picture.

Spent the next three weeks watching the news constantly. Those videos still give me chills.

Did you feel a bit uneasy travelling to Egypt at all 45HG ?

I would have been looking over my shoulder at the airport for sure if I travelled the day after.

Everytime I travel since then, I felt the need to scan the room at the Gate prior to boarding. Less so now.

Didn't go mate, trip got cancelled.

I was gutted but it was hardly the worst thing to come out of the situation.

I finally got to travel there in '08 after I'd wanted to go my whole life. A fantastic experience and a wonderful place to go. Felt safer there than I did in Rome (save for the traffic)!

I was up in bed watching Sandra Sully with the late news (I think it was Sandra), when she announced breaking news that on initial reports an air craft or "light" air craft had crashed into one of the two world trade center towers and they crossed to CNN? coverage...from what I can remember.

Then the first pictures came of the burning north tower. It wasn't long after crossing live (~2/3 minutes?) that vision showed the second plane slam into the south tower, live. Unbelievable and shocking vision. Right then and there I remember thinking, this isn't meant to be happening, something is definitely wrong here. What followed was news of hijacked planes still in the air and when news of the Pentagon came through, wow, America was under attack.

When the towers came down and prior vision to people plummeting to earth, it seemed surreal and like a movie.

I don't think I slept at all that night.

The Time Magazine that came out the Following week was one of the most incredible things i have ever seen...close up shots of people Jumping..

I still have it, but haven't looked at it in years..maybe now is the time.

• 1 month later...

I didn't know about it until the morning when I turned the radio on and they were talking about this tragedy burt weren't a=saying what it was. I turned the TV on to see and that was when I saw the planes flying in to the building. I thought at first it was some sort of hoax and digitally imposed; I couldn't believe it could happen.

I remember when John Kennedy was shot, once again I woke up in the morning and heard it on the news; I was pretty young at the time. There wasn't the same instant TV footage in those days.

I was in Livingston , Montana , about to have my first day ever fly fishing . At about 0645 , I put the telly on to the local station which had the Today show at 0700 , and hopped back into bed . Thought "Katie Couric shouldn't be on yet" lifted my head and saw the North tower ablaze, then the 2nd plane coming in live. Soon after , she was talking to [i think] Wolf Blitzer at the Pentagon when he said he'd just felt a huge shudder -- fortunately for him he was on the opposite side to the crash.

Fortunately, had to be at the local sports shop to meet my guide at 0800 , or I would've stayed glued to the screen all day. It was surreal to be out fishing on a river knowing what was going on .

Spent the next 10 days driving around Montana , South Dakota and Wyoming listening to NPR on the radio , seeing American flags everywhere , including on cars, and of course having many conversations with locals . A constant theme was " Life is short I must reassess my priorities " . When I returned to Jackson Hole Wy the following January { dare I say, to ski } . All was pretty much business as usual.

A constant theme was " Life is short I must reassess my priorities " . When I returned to Jackson Hole Wy the following January { dare I say, to ski } . All was pretty much business as usual.

Hah. Reflection is so often short-lived.

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Switched on TV while packing to fly to Fiji that evening. No noticeable change in security in Nadi on way in or out.

Have booked ticket for Ground Zero in June (will miss GWS (so will Scully), Lions, Richmond, Fremantle and Port games but these things must be done.