THE LAST GAME DAY OF 2011

Whispering_Jack

I'm kicking off this last weekly game day thread early with a serious question.

It seems to me that being a game at a traditional old football venue like Adelaide Oval against an old, proud club (formed in its original guise in 1870) should we go back to the traditional values of a few years ago and reintroduce our famous match day tactic - the tank?

Port stands to lose first round pick # 4 and get # 6 instead if it manages a win against us. On the other hand, we could finish as high as 9th with a win (which would get us # 18) or as low as 13th with a loss (# 12). We improve four places in subsequent rounds if this scenario comes to pass.

I reckon we need to trade strongly to cover our on field deficiencies, particularly in the midfield, so improvement in draft position is the best we can get out of what would otherwise be a meaningless dead rubber played without a number of our best 22.

If we tanked, it would give those in the media who lack the intellect to come up with any original thoughts on the game an opportunity to write pages of idiotic analysis on the evils of tanking or even as to whether it exists at all. Every Demetriou interview in the coming week would necessitate the same inane question. "Do clubs tank?"

Is this the way to bid farewell to what has turned out an awful season of football?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that being a game at a traditional old football venue like Adelaide Oval against an old, proud club (formed in its original guise in 1870) should we go back to the traditional values of a few years ago and reintroduce our famous match day tactic - the tank?

Port stands to lose first round pick # 4 and get # 6 instead if it manages a win against us. On the other hand, we could finish as high as 9th with a win (which would get us # 18) or as low as 13th with a loss (# 12). We improve four places in subsequent rounds if this scenario comes to pass.

I reckon we need to trade strongly to cover our on field deficiencies, particularly in the midfield, so improvement in draft position is the best we can get out of what would otherwise be a meaningless dead rubber played without a number of our best 22.

If we tanked, it would give those in the media who lack the intellect to come up with any original thoughts on the game an opportunity to write pages of idiotic analysis on the evils of tanking or even as to whether it exists at all. Every Demetriou interview in the coming week would necessitate the same inane question. "Do clubs tank?"

Is this the way to bid farewell to what has turned out an awful season of football?

We haven't been able to muster too many honourable losses this year, this could be the day. Sadly it would help our drafting/trading position wouldn't it.

Have we learnt nothing, I want a winning mongrel culture at this club and every team who plays us to know they have been in a game! The change started when Bailey was sacked several people should have been put on notice. It's fathers day and all I want is a win. Pick 12 or pick 18 I don't really care if 2011 has taught us anything its that there are no guarantees with high draft picks!

Agreed, I want us to end season on high with a good win. Even gold coast beat Port over there so we should be able to. Let's end the season with a bang

Edited by Samsara

The difference in quality between picks 12 and 18 is nothing compared to something like a priority pick in the top 5.

Either way, I want to finish this season as high as possible to salvage whatever bit of pride we have left.

Todd Viney would not be interested in this minimal difference. I'd hope he's only concerned with closing out the year with a win.

Pick 12 or 18, we'd still let a Darling slide and pick a Cook. (Sorry Lucas, you may be a future star but where are you?)

Geebus...does it really matter. Ladder position ?

We'll get who we get in the draft for m ladder position. We've probably got a few more picks coming our way anyway :rolleyes:

Why dont we go back to an even better value.. go out and play a decent game of football with absolute respect for the jumper. Tanking is like soooo yesterday !!!

who's with me ?

Geebus...does it really matter. Ladder position ?

We'll get who we get in the draft for m ladder position. We've probably got a few more picks coming our way anyway :rolleyes:

Why dont we go back to an even better value.. go out and play a decent game of football with absolute respect for the jumper. Tanking is like soooo yesterday !!!

who's with me ?

Yep

Its time to move on from wanting draft picks and start to perform. I dont know about anyone else but I am sick of the tanking talk. At this point of the season it would be nice for all of us to be talking about ladder position and finals instead of draft picks!

Would it be tanking if we lose, as everyone has tipped Port? Seems to me Port will have tanked if they lose. They are the favourite and playing in Adelaide, albeit on a new ground.

+1

I take it you guys live in Victoria or at least not in WA, The Dees were not the only club to pass over Darling. He like the rest of West Coast have had a season no one expected, but very early to make such a call. How many times must it be said big men take a while.

I follow West Perth in the WAFL and saw Darling play regularly and he was lazy, was an outstanding junior at Sorrento-Duncraig and early on when he was much bigger than the other kids. As the other kids got bigger it seemed from the outside that Darling was not prepared to put in the extra yards. This would have been clear to all recruiters which is why he went from prospective top 5 pick to late 20's.

Darling has surprised me in his first season but I don't see much more improvement in him, Daniel Rich, Rhys Palmer stood out in their first season but were caught up to and passed very quickly. Making a judgement call between Darling & Cook this far out is crazy!

Guest Gareth Keenan

I'm an unashamed fan of us losing this meaningless match in order to secure pick 12.

It's all about building for the future.

I'm an unashamed fan of us losing this meaningless match in order to secure pick 12.

and you complain of supporter mediocrity.......shame shame

a losing culture feeds upon itself.......I want to see some accountability and a win.... a BIG win too

Guest Gareth Keenan

and you complain of supporter mediocrity.......shame shame

a losing culture feeds upon itself.......I want to see some accountability and a win.... a BIG win too

Do I?

I'm not advocating tanking - I'm saying that as a supporter I will be happy with the result.

I still expect the players to go out there and give their all to win the game. Same with the coaches.

The real issue for me is that for so many years going to Adelaide hasnt been a happy journey. AAMI has jinxed us. Maybe we can open a new era with a good win on the Adelaide Oval.

Go Dees

Exactly. Modern football is a business and you have to think medium to long term. The powers that be have thrown certain obstacles at our face this year. Now it's time to fight back and finish in the best bargaining position for the trades and drafts. The AFL acknowledged this game to be worthless when it fixed it for dead rubber Sunday. The result is meaningless and we've already allowed a number of our players to pull up stumps for the season so why get our knickers in knots about a meaningless four points?