Tom Scully in September ...

Grandson of a gun

What will be good is when we collectively no longer have to be subjected (or take part) in this myth of Tom Scully being some ultra-competetive, fanatical-training, whiz-kid suprabeing from the planet Krypton, who like Abraham Lincoln never told a lie.

He is at least two of those things.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's between that bunch of crap or what Caroline wilson wrote yesterday.

The answer thus far is...The journalists have no idea and are just writing articles to pay themselves...

I am backing the club, and most of them seem to be confident Tom will stay.

+1

I'm not confident in either him staying or going. I simply don't know Tom, or have the ability to read his mind. But if the journalists these days reported truthful and balanced articles, I would buy their paper. Instead they produce absolute guesswork, sensationalised rubbish, and are completely unaccountable for it. The Mike Sheehan article a month back topping the list.

If I was Tom, a part of me would want to stay just to stick it to the media and the pack of fools that are involved in it.

+1

I'm not confident in either him staying or going. I simply don't know Tom, or have the ability to read his mind. But if the journalists these days reported truthful and balanced articles, I would buy their paper. Instead they produce absolute guesswork, sensationalised rubbish, and are completely unaccountable for it. The Mike Sheehan article a month back topping the list.

If I was Tom, a part of me would want to stay just to stick it to the media and the pack of fools that are involved in it.

What happens if he announces his departure to GW$?

Will you ... and others ... come on here to acknowledge that they got this one right? Will you still regard them as a pack of muck raking fools?

Will anyone apologize to The Ox?

The vitriol on this website towards those who work as footy media scribes is totally out of whack with reality. They get a few wrong, they get a lot right.

It is rubbish to suggest they are unaccountable. They are accountable according to whether or not you stop buying their papers and listening to their radio stations, which you (and other media-bashers) clearly still do.

Guest Gareth Keenan

I feel sorry for all the supporters who have convinced themselves that he is going, and are now going to have to wrestle with the shame of having prematurely knifed a kid for taking a reasonable amount of time to make his decision.

Pretty sure there'll be a plethora of posters trying to justify their behaviour with weak arguments about how he hurt the club by taking so long to decide.

If anything, they are the ones who have hurt the club, with their weak constitutions.

HTFU

What will be good is when we collectively no longer have to be subjected (or take part) in this myth of Tom Scully being some ultra-competetive, fanatical-training, whiz-kid suprabeing from the planet Krypton, who like Abraham Lincoln never told a lie.

Well, let's just hope that your predictions re Scully leaving, are as on the mark as your knowledge of American presidents... he was known as "Honest Abe", but I think you might find it was Washington who never told a lie ;-)

Edited by hardtack

The only reason i believe scully is staying because his teammates believe he is staying.

I don't think I heard one player that said they are not confident scully is staying.

It's different from other scenarios (coincide with GWS) because I haven't seen this much support for a teammate from other clubs in this unique situation.

Which makes me proud of our playing group.

What happens if he announces his departure to GW$?

Will you ... and others ... come on here to acknowledge that they got this one right? Will you still regard them as a pack of muck raking fools?

Will anyone apologize to The Ox?

The vitriol on this website towards those who work as footy media scribes is totally out of whack with reality. They get a few wrong, they get a lot right.

It is rubbish to suggest they are unaccountable. They are accountable according to whether or not you stop buying their papers and listening to their radio stations, which you (and other media-bashers) clearly still do.

If he announces his departure to GWS, the majority of the reporters guessed that he would accept more money to play at GWS. It won't improve the quality of some of the rubbish articles written. 90% of the articles just infer that he is leaving without any back up. The Mike Sheahan and Jay Clark articles about a month ago, both on the same day, were just rubbish reporting. The Jay Clark article was straight out of New Idea. If these articles are the sort of stuff you like to read in the paper then fair enough. It's definatly not my cup of tea.

Jay Clark

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/rift-with-dees-top-brass-may-force-tom-scully-to-take-the-money-and-run/story-e6frf9jf-1226098679151

"When asked recently by a confidant to assess the likelihood of him heading north, Scully, 20, said he was 70-30."

Mike Sheehan

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tom-scully-as-good-as-gone/story-e6frf9jf-1226098658551

Another Mike Sheehan article on the Malthouse situation

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mick-malthouse-wont-be-at-collingwood-in-2012-says-mike-sheahan/story-fn7shz1t-1226122423068

"It's a decision that's understood to have been fixed in his mind for several weeks. It remains private to avoid any potential disruption to the club's 2011 premiership campaign."

Is he taking the pi$$?

And your point on accountability is right. They are not accountable, unless people turn away from reading and listening. I admit I still read the newspapers daily, probably more out of a lifetime habit since I was in the early years of primary school.

I got a bit carried away with calling them all fools. There are clearly a few people that let down the rest. The bloke in WA that has written a few articles linked in this thread, a prime example. Just tuning in to Footy Classified and watching Hutchy, and sometimes Caro, trying their best to manufacture a story, whilst Garry sits next to them providing reason and thoughtful comments is another example.

Well, let's just hope that your predictions re Scully leaving, are as on the mark as your knowledge of American presidents... he was known as "Honest Abe", but I think you might find it was Washington who never told a lie ;-)

And if my memory serves me right didnt he also chop down Neneh Cherry's tree ?

I feel sorry for all the supporters who have convinced themselves that he is going, and are now going to have to wrestle with the shame of having prematurely knifed a kid for taking a reasonable amount of time to make his decision.

Pretty sure there'll be a plethora of posters trying to justify their behaviour with weak arguments about how he hurt the club by taking so long to decide.

If anything, they are the ones who have hurt the club, with their weak constitutions.

HTFU

Gareth, this is utter garbage!

How can anyone have shame in having formed a personal opinion???

History is littered with lies being told to serve self interest.........pardon others for having an alternate view on things to you!

If supporters were booing him or bringing banners to the calling him a traitor, then fair enough, but sharing an opinion with other supporters on an online forum is nothing like knifing him.

No supporter has hurt the club over this issue.

If you want to follow a club with like minded morons, follow the Pies!

And that story is complete myth & fabrication anyways

But it is a good story

Haha you're right it seems I've mixed my "honest President" metaphors.

A quick Google search had me coming up with this though ...

"The 'never told a lie' saying is attributed to George Washington, though he probably never actually said it. The whole "Honest Abe" thing could have come from a story about how Abe walked several miles to give change to a customer that overpaid him at his general store. Both are likely myths created to make heroes out of our national figures. George Washington was virtually deified by the early Americans for what he did to win our independence. Lincoln was the savior of the Union and the liberator of the slaves. It would make sense that people would create stories that demonstrate important moral values. If people see that these heroes have these attributes, they may try to emulate them. It becomes difficult to come back years later and try to construct a relatively objective history when one has to sift through all the myths and exaggerations."

I think it actually serves the point I was trying to make quite well about the human tendency to creating myths and exaggerate qualities in our heroes.

Let's face it ... Superman in a Demon guernsey is what we all long to see in our heart of hearts.

If he announces his departure to GWS, the majority of the reporters guessed that he would accept more money to play at GWS. It won't improve the quality of some of the rubbish articles written. 90% of the articles just infer that he is leaving without any back up. The Mike Sheahan and Jay Clark articles about a month ago, both on the same day, were just rubbish reporting. The Jay Clark article was straight out of New Idea. If these articles are the sort of stuff you like to read in the paper then fair enough. It's definatly not my cup of tea.

Jay Clark

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226098679151

"When asked recently by a confidant to assess the likelihood of him heading north, Scully, 20, said he was 70-30."

Mike Sheehan

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226098658551

Another Mike Sheehan article on the Malthouse situation

http://www.heraldsun...t-1226122423068

"It's a decision that's understood to have been fixed in his mind for several weeks. It remains private to avoid any potential disruption to the club's 2011 premiership campaign."

Is he taking the pi$?

And your point on accountability is right. They are not accountable, unless people turn away from reading and listening. I admit I still read the newspapers daily, probably more out of a lifetime habit since I was in the early years of primary school.

I got a bit carried away with calling them all fools. There are clearly a few people that let down the rest. The bloke in WA that has written a few articles linked in this thread, a prime example. Just tuning in to Footy Classified and watching Hutchy, and sometimes Caro, trying their best to manufacture a story, whilst Garry sits next to them providing reason and thoughtful comments is another example.

I can't argue with your logic Wheels. They do speak some dross, no doubt about it. But I could (though I won't because I'm too lazy) come up with other quotes where they are surprisingly accurate.

I just think there's a blanket tendency for some to dismiss everything they report out of hand that doesn't sync with reality.

There's an emotional aspect to it based on it being a Melbourne player in the gun.

Edited by Range Rover

just by way of interest...did he travel to Adelaide this weekend ?

HTFU

Didn't you say just yesterday that him pulling out of the last game against Port indicated he was likely to leave?

I am now officially a rat, and I am deserting what I believe to be a sinking ship...

The timing is too perfect for it to be a coincidence.

My guess is that he has realised his mind is made up and won't now change, did what he thinks is the right thing, in informing the playing group of his decision, and that this would be his last game, and then the coaches or the leadership group have pulled the rug from under him, denying him a final match.

I do hope I'm wrong, but I don't think it will significantly set us back if not.

C'est la guerre...

Edited by Demonic Ascent

If Scully decides to stay with Melbourne after today he must be crazy; if you are going to play with a club that has no hope in the foreseeable future you might as well get paid a heap for it.

No hope in the foreseeable future.

I'll put that down to an emotional outburst.