NBT - next big thing

nutbean

Based on responses so far, Jack Hill the blind miner could see that the Dees will be the NBT!

Alright - its time to think three years time - who is going to be the Next Big Thing.

I'm going with Jeremy Howe. He will be Robbo mark 2 except he has already shown he is prepared to do the little extra team things that may have been missing in Robbo's game ( no disrespect Robbo - you were great !).

To make it interesting - outside our beloved Demons - who in another club is the NBT - out of left field - Harley Bennell.

Who is your next big thing ( both MFC and other)?

3, three years Time... Jack Watts!!!

Jack Trengove and Jack Watts. No offense to the other MFC youngsters but they are a class and a half above.

Fyfe, Martin, Shuey, Redden, Hurley are all pushing from the next big thing to being the big thing.

Probably a couple of years and 5-10kg off being able to produce his potential best, but i've always felt Gysberts had something special about him ability-wise. The next Pendlebury even.

Like many, I admit i had doubts over him coming into the 2011 season, but Jack Watts has showed me this year that he will be an out-an-out superstar, provided he can getting bigger, stronger and stay fit over the course of his career.

Other teams, Luke Schuey, Michael Hurley, Dustin Martin, Nat Fyfe. All gonna be elite.

Probably a couple of years and 5-10kg off being able to produce his potential best, but i've always felt Gysberts had something special about him ability-wise. The next Pendlebury even.

Like many, I admit i had doubts over him coming into the 2011 season, but Jack Watts has showed me this year that he will be an out-an-out superstar, provided he can getting bigger, stronger and stay fit over the course of his career.

Other teams, Luke Schuey, Michael Hurley, Dustin Martin, Nat Fyfe. All gonna be elite.

Daniel Menzel another Rolls Royce, Stevey J mark II

Depends on the gamestyle he (Watts) adopts, IMO.

I'd like to see him NOT play like Riewoldt,,, but something a Little like 'Buddy', But to also watch 'Carey's' tapes as well.

If he could develop a hybrid with a bit of each of those, I think he could become a dominant forward. He has the foot slills to play like a 'Buddy type', has the speed, but i'm yet to see him want to dominate opposition, to hurt them.

gysberts from the dees and butcher from the power.

i agree with whomsover above compared the gys to pendlebury. if he's as talented as he appears, it's possible.

Yeah, the Gys just has that rare ability to make things look easy. Hasn't shown it consistently yet, but if he can play 22 games next year...

Jack Trengove will win a Brownlow for this club. Out of the others, Shuey, Menzel and Redden.

The next BIG thing will be a GWS player named Jonathon Patten, all six foot six of him. Remember the name!

I think he's overhyped. He's two years ahead in development compared to other key position players, being 197 cm and 96 kg. I haven't seen too much of the draftees this year but I'd imagine he'd be way too big for the other under 18 defenders to handle, hence his dominance so far.

But he's definitely got the tricks to make it.

I'd like to see him NOT play like Riewoldt,,, but something a Little like 'Buddy', But to also watch 'Carey's' tapes as well.

If he could develop a hybrid with a bit of each of those, I think he could become a dominant forward. He has the foot slills to play like a 'Buddy type', has the speed, but i'm yet to see him want to dominate opposition, to hurt them.

He does try. If you watch him closely, a lot of the times he gets caught out close (which, by the way, isn't much anymore) it's because he's doing those things. He's trying to do the big-bodied full forward stuff - the pushing away of the other bloke, the hard at it marks. He just doesn't have the upper body on him still.

One more preseason. One more and I reckon he'll be roaring.

AFL wide: Zac Smith will be every bit as good as Dean Cox and the Cotchin/Martin combo could be the best midfield 1 2 within 3 or 4 years.

Melbourne: Jack Watts has it all and I'm still confident Liam Jurrah could be a 70 goal a year player

The possible 'Next Big Thing' list at Melbourne is just incredible.

I think I have to say Trengove, even though he doesn't fit the 'next big thing' type so much as the 'ten years of genuine excellence' type. Much like Grimes.

Now those are the kind of leaders that a club can revolve around. Consistent excellence with both able o get involved in the middle, while Trengove can move to a more attacking role and Grimes able to stabilise the defence.

The othr pictures of consistency in a season marked by inconsistency have been Jones and Frawley.

Jones - 23

Frawley - 22

Grimes - 22

Trengove - 20

Looks like the core of a long-term leadership group. Possibly just needs a consistent, charismatic forward to add to the mix... ;)

This has gone way off topic really, but can I make the stretch that my 'Next Big Thing' is the Demon's leadership?

Zac Smith should win the Rising Start this year. I made the call half way through their first game against Carlton tha the will be a superstar of the comp - wont be out of place being mentioned in the same breath as Sandilands.

Zachery the same pick for me. And Andrew Swallow. Imagine if those two get working together around stoppages.

Not really sticking my neck out here but

Jack Watts-will be a power forward like Reiwoldt but a better kick for goal and more versatile ,less of a tosspot too .

Jacky T - " 'Sgonna be -a FOOTBALL STAR"

Dustin Martin-as we have already seen . Will improve as he gets more Tatts on his bonce.

Swallow-doesn't suck at all

and the biggest thing of them all is already

GAWWWWWN!

• 1 year later...

From the Dees - Jack Fitzpatrick.

Other - Israel Folau up at GWS.

Might as well take a punt on the long shots. :D

well dunn RM.

??????????