Ross Lyon

warren dean

The will not be a payout issue as he would not break a contract - simply agree to part company, hopefully accepted by the St.Kilda board. They can sue him for 'specific performance' , which simply means a legal manner to make him stay one more year, but in those circumstances would be unlikely to be invoked.

Actually, a court would NEVER grant specific performance for a contract of employment.

If he was to accept an offer (if one has even been made), no legal action would ensue. Last thing St Kilda would want is prolonged press coverage over the preseason and into next season. Especially one where they have only minimal prospects of minimal damages. Only thing that would save St Kilda is a clause to the effect of "you shall not work as a senior AFL coach within twelve months of leaving St Kilda' - but Lyon should get a new manager if he ever agreed to such a thing!

Edited by Stylus

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garry reaction on FC was ..well curious if nothing else....quite bizarre.

Not the silliest of suggestions is it.

Well...everyones wanted a Lyon coaching at Melbourne for a long time :rolleyes:

I'm tired watching dishonest football..............Lyon would sort that out immediately!

Would be more than happy if he got the job.

absolutely! talking of non negotiable did u c Malthouse have a crack at Buckley for the turnover going back into the middle of the ground instead of team rules around the boundary! Interesting Buckley ex melb player bad habits???

Red. I don't know about Ross Lyon because I haven't given him much thought as a possible coach but I know that if I go most weeks these days then a team coached by Lyon couldn't really dish up anything much more horrific that what I get to see ATM. After experiencing 2011, I would welcome watching them pick up the four points every week by playing ugly which just goes to show that ugly is in the eyes of the beholder.

Jack, all for winning and greater attention to defence. However I go to the football to be entertained and "Saints Footy" is not something that will draw me there every week. This is not to say that "Dee's Footy" would be a copy of "Saints Footy" but if it was I would not be that enthused to watch us.

Life under Ross Lyon would most likely be dour and potentially uninspiring. However he can build a cohesive team with a defensive mindset – something that is essential in our next coach and is also essential for competing for premierships.

All in all, I would welcome Ross Lyon (but some flair would also be nice).

Ross Lyon brings strategy and tactics to the club he coaches, if we go back over the last 4 years of game day posts on the many games we have lost and we are all looking for our team to play with some sort of game plan and structure. To me he is the type of coach we need someone that will give us defensive structure and don't worry about Saints footy he had to take them to the nth degree of defensive footy because their backline stinks, just compare the two fullbacks Dawson V Frawley.

I'm liking the way the club is going about it, we are looking to poach first and advertise later, it seems we have a short list of desired coaches lets have a crack if we land on great, if we don't we will go through the interview process. This is the agressive approach that a good club needs to take, Collingwood did it with Mick when they grabbed him from WCE.

Edited by drdrake

No thanks. If we played Saints Footy I doubt I would go most weeks. Winning is important but his style is a blight on the spectacle that is the game.

I am over 5 years of losing, Big Losses, small losses, record losses

Losses to the likes of Richmond.losses to Bloody Collingwood

Losses at ES, losses in Perth, Losses in Adelaide.

I am over Losses!

I do not care who the coach is or how we play.

I just want to WIN.

End of story

I enjoyed going to the footy when John Northey was coach. We played a defensive style but I always knew we'd give a contest, there just wasn't any doubt.

How many games did we win under Northey on pure guts and determination. In many ways his teams overachieved, the polar opposite of the current crew.

The Saints defense is very average in terms of player talent, which could explain the super defensive style of play. With so many good defenders on our list, especially Frawley, Garland and runners like Blease, Bennell and Strauss, Lyon may adopt a more free flowing game style.

I'm not his biggest fan, and I hate the way the Saints play, but right now I will take any form of winning and success. Be it pretty or ugly, nothing can be uglier than getting your arse kicked every single week.

I enjoyed going to the footy when John Northey was coach. We played a defensive style but I always knew we'd give a contest, there just wasn't any doubt.

So did I old55. Northey also had the element of harnessing the emotion of the players, he also had some good leaders among the playing group.

Lyon would bring the mongrel we need he hates losing and calls a poor performance exactly that not to mention a poor surface.

I dont care if we play ugly football if it means I ont have to watch another demon loss.

I want to be able to watch more wins in a season than losses.

I'm not his biggest fan, and I hate the way the Saints play, but right now I will take any form of winning and success. Be it pretty or ugly, nothing can be uglier than getting your arse kicked every single week.

Why do so many hate the way the Saints play ? Can someone clarify what is so apparently unattractive about their brand of footy ? Because when I watch them, particularly this year, to me, they are no more boring than a Western Bulldogs, Fremantle , Essendon, Sydney or West Coast.

Is it because they've been up so long and we're watching the same old players or something ? Is that what is boring ?

Please communicate your thoughts on this trivial matter.

Why do so many hate the way the Saints play ? Can someone clarify what is so apparently unattractive about their brand of footy ? Because when I watch them, particularly this year, to me, they are no more boring than a Western Bulldogs, Fremantle , Essendon, Sydney or West Coast.

Is it because they've been up so long and we're watching the same old players or something ? Is that what is boring ?

HT we often disagree but on this one you have my 100% support.

The only thing that bores me about the saints is how often they give us a belting.

Why do so many hate the way the Saints play ?

To me it is because they do not play to win, they play to not lose. Just like Sydney when Ross lyon was Roos's AC.

Although a bit of a high wire act he is good at what he does, playing in the back half. It is just ugly football.

The Saints defense is very average in terms of player talent, which could explain the super defensive style of play. With so many good defenders on our list, especially Frawley, Garland and runners like Blease, Bennell and Strauss, Lyon may adopt a more free flowing game style.

I agree. I think Ross Lyon developed a ultra defensive and dour game plan to suit the players on their list at the time, which included a few superstars but not a great deal of depth. With a different list I'm sure he would go for a different approach. I think accountable football is what we lack more than anything and I think Lyon could deliver that, whether dour or not.

To me it is because they do not play to win, they play to not lose. Just like Sydney when Ross lyon was Roos's AC.

Although a bit of a high wire act he is good at what he does, playing in the back half. It is just ugly football.

Well at Sydney they won the flag and the saints got horribly close last year.

I could handle a bit of that at the Dees.

I can't understand how people would not embrace Ross Lyon.

Mick is the number 1 target, but after him I couldn't think of another current coach that I'd rather have than Lyon.

He is a proven coach. He is hard on the players. He is a good communicator. He gets the best out of the players on his list. His teams play with fantastic defensive structures and are hard to beat. They are always willing to scrap out a game and hardly ever give up.

He was a Matthew Scarlett toe-poke and a bad bounce away from being a back-to-back premiership coach. Yes St Kilda has some superstars on their list but it's one thing having the talent and another thing to get the most out of that talent and delivering on potential. Lyon has clearly delivered on the potential.

As I said, other than Mick, this bloke has all the attributes that we are after in a coach.

As for an ugly style or brand of footy, who cares. We are in this business to win, not to play attractive attacking football. Can anyone seriously say they would prefer to see a a high scoring loss in a shootout rather than a dour low-scoring 20 point win? I want to see the MFC win a premiership and whatever it takes to get us there is fine by me.

And in any case I think there can be something attractive and engrossing about watching a team defend well and employ sound defensive tactics. Football is not just about goals and high marks, but about seeing committed team defence too.

People complain about us being a front-running side and then worry about becoming too defensive. Staggering.

I can't understand how people would not embrace Ross Lyon.

Mick is the number 1 target, but after him I couldn't think of another current coach that I'd rather have than Lyon.

He is a proven coach. He is hard on the players. He is a good communicator. He gets the best out of the players on his list. His teams play with fantastic defensive structures and are hard to beat. They are always willing to scrap out a game and hardly ever give up.

He was a Matthew Scarlett toe-poke and a bad bounce away from being a back-to-back premiership coach. Yes St Kilda has some superstars on their list but it's one thing having the talent and another thing to get the most out of that talent and delivering on potential. Lyon has clearly delivered on the potential.

As I said, other than Mick, this bloke has all the attributes that we are after in a coach.

As for an ugly style or brand of footy, who cares. We are in this business to win, not to play attractive attacking football. Can anyone seriously say they would prefer to see a a high scoring loss in a shootout rather than a dour low-scoring 20 point win? I want to see the MFC win a premiership and whatever it takes to get us there is fine by me.

And in any case I think there can be something attractive and engrossing about watching a team defend well and employ sound defensive tactics. Football is not just about goals and high marks, but about seeing committed team defence too.

People complain about us being a front-running side and then worry about becoming too defensive. Staggering.

I just logged in to say my piece, and then saw that you've summed it all up beautifully! Great stuff. I don't think too many Sydney fans would be lining up to hand back their 2005 premiership based on it not being aesthetically pleasing. Winning is beautiful. And Scoop, I completely agree on the potential for being enthralled with defensive football, or any other sport for that matter. I find it more frustration when Melbourne loses because we're incapable of stopping the other team. The best sides force their opposition to play poorly.

Well.. Mike led with my question ..Is it specualtion or is there a real offer. . The answer was very much more the former. Going to be an interesting story as it develops.

Id be happy enough with Ross. Be a wake up call to a few players...hehehe

I would kiss Ross Lyon's arse or anyone else's for that matter if they delivered a Premiership to the Dees. I have waited like those old enough to remember 1964, 47 years to win a flag. I am sick of the excuses. I am sick of the expectation of the next year. I am sick of putting up with poor years to get draft picks. I am sick of Melbourne asking me for money. I am sick of seeing other clubs winning flags. I am sick of seeing my family's disappointed faces after games. I am sick of other supporters treating my club like a joke. I am sick of playing soft football. I want a flag. All Demonlanders want a flag. Bloody well get one anyway they can and I will be happy. Let it be from a shocking umpiring display, or a lucky bounce or even a hurricane picking up a kick from full back by Chip and going through for a goal at the other end. I don't care what needs to happen, just let it and give us our flag.

I would kiss Ross Lyon's arse or anyone else's for that matter if they delivered a Premiership to the Dees. I have waited like those old enough to remember 1964, 47 years to win a flag. I am sick of the excuses. I am sick of the expectation of the next year. I am sick of putting up with poor years to get draft picks. I am sick of Melbourne asking me for money. I am sick of seeing other clubs winning flags. I am sick of seeing my family's disappointed faces after games. I am sick of other supporters treating my club like a joke. I am sick of playing soft football. I want a flag. All Demonlanders want a flag. Bloody well get one anyway they can and I will be happy. Let it be from a shocking umpiring display, or a lucky bounce or even a hurricane picking up a kick from full back by Chip and going through for a goal at the other end. I don't care what needs to happen, just let it and give us our flag.

+1

You'll burst a blood vessel if you don't settle down Redleg. Or worse miss the next Cox Plate. With you 100%. Great passion.