Dean Bailey on SEN Tonight.

I love all this talk about im being a "great development coach". Unless you are watching different games than me, I would put it to you that our development has gone backwards, not forwards. Some players have thrived, but many have gone backwards, and more importantly "the team" has gone to [censored].

+1

I love all this talk about im being a "great development coach". Unless you are watching different games than me, I would put it to you that our development has gone backwards, not forwards. Some players have thrived, but many have gone backwards, and more importantly "the team" has gone to [censored].

Unfortunately I agree.

:blink:

Good coach is subjective and some opinions deserve better moderation than others. He was a great devlopment coach.

If an e25 was training particularly hard and met all of the required metrics but could not structure up, and Bailey could not pencil him in, would that mean Bailey was a bad coach?

I think the above may have been Baileys problem.

I don't understand the point of any of this drivel.

In plain english please?

NB. I didn't say DB was a bad coach, nor a good coach.

I simply said "a good bloke does not equal a good coach."

I actually think Bails was a good coach. Remember, his first 2 years he was asked to tank in order to secure Watts, Trengove, Scully etc. In his last 2 years his win/loss ratio was about 45 %, which was about what was expected of such a young list. This year, it is now public knowledge that the team's performances have been adversely affected by off-field squabbles. Anyway, it's time to move on. Let's just hope that the off field stuff is quickly sorted out so the new coach can have some chance of success.

I imagine that, although he is sacked, he has an exit clause in his contract. I couldn't imagine he would say anything negative about the place (even if he was very negative) with 5 weeks salary or more on the line. However, sounds like he has genuinely positive feelings with such statements, because it would be possible for him to avoid, dodge or minimally answer such questions if he felt like it.

As they say, it is not what happens to you but how you choose to respond to it. Congratulations to DB for the stance he has chosen to take on this one

I actually think Bails was a good coach. Remember, his first 2 years he was asked to tank in order to secure Watts, Trengove, Scully etc. In his last 2 years his win/loss ratio was about 45 %, which was about what was expected of such a young list. This year, it is now public knowledge that the team's performances have been adversely affected by off-field squabbles. Anyway, it's time to move on. Let's just hope that the off field stuff is quickly sorted out so the new coach can have some chance of success.

Nobody asked him to tank or throw games .

Edited by Captain Jack Jordan

We were crap but we didn't chuck a game IMO . What about the Bryce Gibbs cup ,The Kruezer cup etc

Carlton did the same,,,no arguement...Mark Riley went to Carlton the week after the Kreuzer Cup.

Yes we were crap, but we also made sure of it by moving players and resting others..For Trengove and hopefully Scully i have no malice towards it, but i hated that time in our history...Dark Dark times....cheering for looses...mellow.gif

We were crap but we didn't chuck a game IMO . What about the Bryce Gibbs cup ,The Kruezer cup etc

Hate to burst your bubble there.. but that Saints game towards the end of 09 was , lets say , very interesting. We couldnt afford to win another game...for "developments' sake. We came out the blocks like no tomorrow. Sainters were finals bound but were getting pantsed. Liam was on fire, kicking asisting etc. It all clicked.. !!

Jurrah was 'rested' for quite long seesions..and somehow found himself sweeping the back flanks at times. After half time it was as though wed forgotten to swap ends....the setup was most strange... enough said..lol

Nupp..never chucked a game...but managed some quite well :lol::rolleyes:

Maybe players like Liam can step up to the plate- he seems like he has gobe right off the boil.Maybe a HUGE pre season is what is needed at Melbourne and a HUGE change in the football dept (OVERHAUL).

Hate to burst your bubble there.. but that Saints game towards the end of 09 was , lets say , very interesting. We couldnt afford to win another game...for "developments' sake. We came out the blocks like no tomorrow. Sainters were finals bound but were getting pantsed. Liam was on fire, kicking asisting etc. It all clicked.. !!

Jurrah was 'rested' for quite long seesions..and somehow found himself sweeping the back flanks at times. After half time it was as though wed forgotten to swap ends....the setup was most strange... enough said..lol

Nupp..never chucked a game...but managed some quite well :lol::rolleyes:

I remember that game as being one of the most enjoyable losses I've ever watched. That was the game where Wheaters booted it to the centre every time he took the kick out - for no reason other than for fun from what I could tell.

To me it was no pressure to win (obviously) and no pressure to lose (unlike the previous week where it took a fairly monumental effort to lose) as the Saints should've beaten us easily on merit. Just fun footy to watch.

I remember that game as being one of the most enjoyable losses I've ever watched. That was the game where Wheaters booted it to the centre every time he took the kick out - for no reason other than for fun from what I could tell.

To me it was no pressure to win (obviously) and no pressure to lose (unlike the previous week where it took a fairly monumental effort to lose) as the Saints should've beaten us easily on merit. Just fun footy to watch.

AND we were in front at quarter time. I even took a photo of the scoreboard to prove it because it seemed so unbelievable to me.

It was a good game, one of the highlights in a very very depressing season full of terrible loses.