We can beat the Eagles

Bhima

The boys have much to prove this week and redeem for the insipid performance in perth earlier in the year.

The biggest problem (no pun intended) has been the same problems we've had all year and highlighted by Nathan Thompson this afternoon on SEN. Melbourne, with so many kids, are simply not yet physically strong enough to compete consistently with the best teams. And not only that, but in his words, West Coast Eagles eat bricks. They are a team full of very strong fully grown men. That is what is going to cause the biggest problem for us, being able to compete for 120 minutes physically with the Eagles.

I will be cheering as hard as any other MFC supporter and do enter the game with some hope, however the realist in me says that we are unlikely to get any closer than 3 or 4 goals at best.

I'd put Lynden Dunn on Darling with instructions to get into him all day.

I'd play Morton on Embley with instructions to hurt him the other way.

I'd remind Davie, Rivers, Green and Moloney that they are great football players deserving of the respect they have built over years of quality service to the MFC.

I'd tell Jack Watts to play deep, with Jamar, and continue to work hard. So close.

Jack Trengove has just publically told Tom Scully he believes in the MFC, and challenged him to lift.

And Todd Viney growling in the corner is sending shivers up my spine.

Painful as it has been this year, our team has been a soapy from hell, we've been unable to take our eyes off them.

Bring on the Weagles!

Go Melbourne.

When you put it like that, it actually starts to sound ok...

At some point, our big guns have to have a day out - they simply can't all be so quiet every game. Not sure, we probably only need a huge game from a couple (like say Sylvia in the forward line and Moloney through the midfield) to get pretty close.

Until we can get a decent effort from all 22 players that is sustained for four quarters we won't beat anyone that is up near the top 4. That being said, I'll be there torturing myself to the end!

But oh what sweet torture it is.......

Round 10 Vs Carlton Inside 50s Carl 53-38 Melb -15

Round 20 Vs Carlton Inside 50s Carl 52-47 Melb -5 (66% improvement in inside 50s differential under Viney)

Round 6 Vs WCE Inside 50s WCE 65-35 Melb - 30

Round 21 Vs WCE inside 50s WCE 65-55 Melb - 10 (based on history of 66% improvement in inside 50s differential under Viney + Unbeaten record at Etihad under Viney + No Glass + Wattsy's Form)

66% + Viney + Unbeaten - Glass + Wattsy = We can beat the Eagles B)

hahaha got a laugh outta this one, very nice formula professor Bhima!

Just like the 'We can beat the Hawks' one.

hahaha yep been alot of these threads. Because of up passion and up and down form we like to think that this will be a good week! I thought we'd rebound last week and get within a respectable 20-30 points only to find myself drowning my sorrows in the outta half way through the second quarter!!!!!

As to OP I agree their backline does look their weakest link, but unfortunately their mids and forwards look far more superior than ours and that is probably where we will get beaten. However, I am marginly more confident than the last 3 weeks, but still have tipped the Eagles (obviously begrudgingly)

Love the way Wattsy came out and backed Viney as senior coach.. Personally I'd love if he falls in love with the role over the next 4 weeks and puts his hand up for the job.

I absolutely think we can beat them, but whether we will or not is an entirely different question. I have no doubt that if our team plays to the best of their ability, as a team, we could beat any team in the comp, especially below those top two. The issue is that we are not playing anywhere near our ability, or as a team, and being against a well-drilled side like WC at a ground we hate does not bode well. Hopefully the Viney effect will have some amazing result and the boys play out of their skins, but I'm not going to get too hopeful.

7 reasons why we'll win tomoz:

1) we have a 5-1-1 record v interstate clubs this year

2) we are undefeated v Interstate clubs at home this year.

3) we won our last 'home' game at Etihad, rd 19 2007 v Dogs

4) our last win at Etihad was also under a caretaker coach- rd 19, 2007 v dogs

5) we are undefeated during the 1:10 Sunday timeslot this year

6) we are undefeated whenever we are televised during the 1:10 Foxtel timeslot this year.

7) we have a great record v's Wc at Etihad. We thrashed them by 10 goals in 2000.

We're a shoe in tomorrow.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

They're zoning up well this year...... that is our only reason why we cant beat them... we cannot drill through those things.

Oh and the other thing, Nicoski? Dont know about you guys, but i rate him, always tends to kick the important goal, and always applies the pressure up forward... Who goes on him??

7 reasons why we'll win tomoz:

1) we have a 5-1-1 record v interstate clubs this year

2) we are undefeated v Interstate clubs at home this year.

3) we won our last 'home' game at Etihad, rd 19 2007 v Dogs

4) our last win at Etihad was also under a caretaker coach- rd 19, 2007 v dogs

5) we are undefeated during the 1:10 Sunday timeslot this year

6) we are undefeated whenever we are televised during the 1:10 Foxtel timeslot this year.

7) we have a great record v's Wc at Etihad. We thrashed them by 10 goals in 2000.

We're a shoe in tomorrow.

hehe loving that read! Only problem is that are a much much better side than us this year! But I'll run with your take on it!

They're zoning up well this year...... that is our only reason why we cant beat them... we cannot drill through those things.

Oh and the other thing, Nicoski? Dont know about you guys, but i rate him, always tends to kick the important goal, and always applies the pressure up forward... Who goes on him??

Mate, I don't think it is the ONLY reason. We are behind in so many areas and going backwards

With luck next season we'll get back to basics and fix up some of theses problems

WAT?

We were flogged last week. We lost by 12 goals. Terrible performance, but people compare it to the Geelong game and thing we were competitive and OK...

I don't think we'll win this week. Just being a realist. The Eagles are a very solid, well-coached side.

Just to add to that, Carlton beat us at our home ground. We have not won at Etihad in 11 games and the Eagles beat Carlton the last time they met and it was at Etihad.

Just to add to that, Carlton beat us at our home ground. We have not won at Etihad in 11 games and the Eagles beat Carlton the last time they met and it was at Etihad.

And just to add to that we beat Essendon by 5 goals and they beat Geelong by a couple of points and Geelong beat us by 31 goals.

Holy Moley ... we could still win the flag this year.

And just to add to that we beat Essendon by 5 goals and they beat Geelong by a couple of points and Geelong beat us by 31 goals.

Holy Moley ... we could still win the flag this year.

Please WJ sit down!

You cannot afford to get this excited.

I know occasionly mircles happen but I doubt it is tomorrow.

So be patient 2014 is bound to be a good year and we will get even with the Eagles.

I hope!