James McDonald

drdrake

We read and hear that one reason the club is not unified is because to the way we treated James McDonald. Here is an idea lets get James back to the club, appoint James our Director of Football or make him our midfield development coach. I'm sure if the right people speak with James they can get him back to the club and if the rumours are true that he is one reason Tom Scully is going to GWS bring that reason back to our club.

James may need some talking around but as a past captain of our club he must also be concerned.

It's an option. Good strong clubs need good people with strong character and Junior is that IMO. If there is still some concerns of friction over the decision last year to encourage him to retire, maybe it can wait a bit. I'm not sure if he holds a grudge, he strikes me as one that would get over it pretty quick and come to the realisation that perhaps the right decision was made at the time. Even though the club said afterwards that perhaps if they had their time again they would handle it differently.

I hope he comes back in some capacity.

I'd rather appointment FD personnel based on merit not pangs of guilt.

Agreed RR, but pangs of guilt aside, I would love to see Jnr back at the club. A respected, level head bloke, who could continue to have the great influence he used to have, from a different role. Good idea IMO.

I'd rather appointment FD personnel based on merit not pangs of guilt.

In business you need to do what is best for your business, if bringing James McDonald back will help our team move forward you bring him back. Also as other post James to me would bring back some very good qualities that would improve any AFL club.

We read and hear that one reason the club is not unified is because to the way we treated James McDonald. Here is an idea lets get James back to the club, appoint James our Director of Football or make him our midfield development coach. I'm sure if the right people speak with James they can get him back to the club and if the rumours are true that he is one reason Tom Scully is going to GWS bring that reason back to our club.

James may need some talking around but as a past captain of our club he must also be concerned.

One of the development coaches in charge of all, or a group of the Kids whichever is more applicable. But he needs to be involved with the younger ones and not the outgoing ones.

This story is 12 months old. Frankly players need to get on with it. While it may have been poorly handled, or a bad decision, it is simply pathetic that this issue is still haunting the club. IMO the actual move wasn't that radical, it was just handled poorly + it's Melbourne and when we do something slightly off colour everyone jumps on us in a way they wouldn't when Carlton or some other club do the exact same thing.

That said bring back junior if it's in the best interests of the club.

I loved Jnr and i wish it had been a situation that could have been handled better by the club, but it really is time everyone moved on, and if the players are still not dealing with it then they need a good kick up the ar$e and a reality check!

Absolute no brainer bringing Junior back to the club IMO.

I've said it many times before (and been told to get over it), but the way in which the MFC handled Junior's 'retirement' was an absolute disaster - and the effects of it are still playing out.

Ironically, despite the players all apparently being behind Dean Bailey, I think Junior may now actually entertain roles back at the MFC given that Bailey is no longer at the club. Apparently Junior thought he was treated very badly by Dean Bailey, something which I think Bailey has since acknowledged (and apologised for).

We need the stability and leadership Junior would bring to the place at the moment.

Seriously if the players are still sulking because we did not offer a 34 year old a new contract and we offered a 31 year old a one year contract then that makes me more angry than the performance against Geelong.

You are correct. Nothwithstanding how this was handled ( badly I think all would agree ) the fundamentals were correct. The fact that Cam Bruce left as well, after having been extremely well rewarded over a lengthy career, says more about the individuals involved than the club. Players get to the end of their careers whether they like it or not. If Brad Green and other so-called leaders are sulking, they should grow a pair take a reality check.. :mad:

You are correct. Nothwithstanding how this was handled ( badly I think all would agree ) the fundamentals were correct. The fact that Cam Bruce left as well, after having been extremely well rewarded over a lengthy career, says more about the individuals involved than the club. Players get to the end of their careers whether they like it or not. If Brad Green and other so-called leaders are sulking, they should grow a pair take a reality check.. :mad:

Agree the fundamentals were correct and in hindsight perhaps would not have been good value for us if he stayed. Look at Bruce now, indifferent few games with the hawks and injured for most of the season.

So you thought about this carefully before you posted?

You've come to the conclusion that Junior wouldn't be any good at the club is that it?

My reading of the post is that it's a criticism of the justification provided by the OP.

The OP doesn't even attempt to argue that McDonald is the best person to be our football Director or midfield development coach.

Instead, the rationale is based on Club unity.

My reading of the post is that it's a criticism of the justification provided by the OP.

The OP doesn't even attempt to argue that McDonald is the best person to be our football Director or midfield development coach.

Instead, the rationale is based on Club unity.

That may well be so, but can't RR offer up more than that; I would expect a moderator to be a bit more respectful of posters and not offer sarcastic responses as the first resort.

I like it! midfield coach would be a great fit, definatley someone the boys will look up to and respect, especially having played with them before!

If he needs some talking around Garry is just the person for the job!

Go Dees!

It's not the fact that McDonald is gone that is the problem .

The problem is the leaders headed toward the end of their careers can see the gravey train drying up in front of them and aren't happy about it at all .

No more cushy 3year superanuation deals after age 30 .

They'll have to work for their positions and work hard .

So you thought about this carefully before you posted?

You've come to the conclusion that Junior wouldn't be any good at the club is that it?

Mirror mirror on the wall Robbie. Might you ask that question each time you log on. B)

That conclusion might be yours.

But if there is a specific role open in the FD where he is the best candidate then do it. Otherwise we seem to have enough gratuitous roles at MFC at the moment for "mates".

Junior ,Bruce and Miller were all made to make way for the development of new kids on the list .If anyone is upset about the administration of the club then they should leave . Any kind of player revolt over who is picked to coach ,captain ,manage or do any other job is ridiculously unprofessional from a player point of view .I don't know why Bailey's job was reviewed on a Friday before a game but this shouldn't have affected the players so dramatically .Who we delisted last year is also irrelevant .I hope the players learned that after the first bounce there are only 21 other guys that will help them survive and that they cannot rely on coach ,manager ,ceo or president to do it for them .This team hasn't earned the right to question authority in any way . If I was Viney I would [censored] them up and down the park .The first five to quit can end their contracts on the spot . F*&^en bunch of cry-babies .

Mirror mirror on the wall Robbie. Might you ask that question each time you log on. B)

That conclusion might be yours.

But if there is a specific role open in the FD where he is the best candidate then do it. Otherwise we seem to have enough gratuitous roles at MFC at the moment for "mates".

This site is quite Gladiatorial and it seems to me you are usually involved, not a good look for a Moderator.

I have tried to be on my best behaviour here after a tumultuous period at Ology so I'm not sure what your point is there.

As for Junior being on of the mates; if he was he wouldn't have been given the flick would he?