New Coach

Deano74

One thing I have noticed about all the threads tonight is that posters with huge numbers of posts over many years have suddenly gone missing - don't they have any suggestions for the future, are they locked in the past, have they finally realised the obvious or maybe even they can't defend the indefensible - Bailey has been a dismal failure!

Funny you should mention that I was going to start a thread asking the vey same question.

These are the ones who have ridiculed those that were disbelievers and didn't think that all was going to plan.

Where are you boys? I've coped heaps of stick from you over the journey what about you show your heads now and give us a bit of spin about today's effort(?).

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel that way too and I've copped a few whacks for asking all the wrong questions. They will be back. They just need a few days off to dream up some new excuses.

Edited by america de cali

What does it matter who the caretaker is?

If Bailey goes (and he should, IMO), we will put in a caretaker to see out the year. Definition of a caretaker.

Then we will (hopefully) do the right thing and suss out who is available (experienced or not), and do the diligence required to get the best available. If that's Roos (which I strongly doubt), then that's fine. It might be Malthouse, or Clarkson. Or it might be Hinkley, Sanderson, Burns or Cameron.

Word is that if Dean Bailey gets the shove or steps aside, that Brian Royal will take over as caretaker.God Help us...Gippy

What "word" is that??? Please indulge us of your "impeccable source"??

"I FEEL embarrassed," Melbourne coach Dean Bailey said after the Demons' humiliating 186-point loss to Geelong at Skilled Stadium today. Embarrassed, Jesus Christ I only follow the side and I feel humiliated, is that the best he can come up with. All of us are on notice he said, wow, I feel happier now I know that.We have to remove him and pass the job on to a caretaker asap, not Brian Royal though, Viney may not be the answer but let's find out.

He feels embarrassed? How does he bloody think that we feel. At least he hasn't loved the club all his life. At least the club pays him rather that he paying them like we do. FFS, I couldn't give a [censored] if he feels worse than anyone has felt "ever", because I won't buy it that he feels as bad about it as you or I. As for all of them being on notice, well pull the other one mate. I thought they were on notice after the WC game, or any other time they have put in a shizen effort. There is no more "on notice" or "lines in the sand", I just cant hear it anymore. No more words, because the only thing that has any chance of redeeming this rabble is actions, not words.

One thing I have noticed about all the threads tonight is that posters with huge numbers of posts over many years have suddenly gone missing - don't they have any suggestions for the future, are they locked in the past, have they finally realised the obvious or maybe even they can't defend the indefensible - Bailey has been a dismal failure!

Oh yes indeed!

I got kudos from some but screamed down by the masses for starting a "Bailey must go" thread after our humiliation at the hands of the Hawks early last year.

I was confident I had seen the warning signs regarding our coaching shortfall and sought the discussion of fellow Demonlanders only to be met by a wall of apologists and all too familiar acceptance of mediocrity folk. The majority seemed content to once again trek the forests believing wholeheartedly there were indeed no trees instead of listening to those that have trekked before screaming that the trees exist!

I fell so hurt after our latest performance yet the thing that hurts the most is that for me it's just not a surprise.

The club has made me proud (since Jimma and Scwabb) finance wise (although if truth be known it was really people like you and me dipping into our pockets that made the difference) yet the club has remained a spineless entity with regard to football department matters and in essence the heart and soul of what it means to be a football club ......... Winning!

We are in the almost exact position the Bombers were in last year and the precedent of what a power-club would do in this position has been displayed. We do indeed need to follow suit and play hardball. We need to poach, spend, entice, sell and in essence become a mongrel and hated for going out and taking what we need.

We need Malthouse and whatever staff he requires. We need to pay out whatever legal breaches, contracts, hush money and or hefty overall fees required to make this happen.

That's how the big boys play. It's no good surviving now in an environment dominated by the rich and powerful, you have to roll the dice and be bold if you want to match it with the biggest and best. ENOUGH OF PLAYING LITTLE BROTHER DAMN IT! It's now time to kick our big brothers in the nuts and watch them call for mummy because let's face it, we have been calling out for Mummy as long as I have known this club.

It's a mindset that can start with us as supporters.

let's get it done FFS!

Love you all!

And now for another beer!

Edited by Clay Sampson

What a bunch of grown ups, need their ego's stoked by saying 'I told ya so' and rubbishing those who backed the coach, jeez hope it makes you feel good.

Of course DB is gone after today but FFS get over yourselves.

What a bunch of grown ups, need their ego's stoked by saying 'I told ya so' and rubbishing those who backed the coach, jeez hope it makes you feel good.

Of course DB is gone after today but FFS get over yourselves.

After reading your "mature response" I'm certain you read no further than the first paragraph of my post. You have contributed a shallow and unconstructive personal attack (which is fine with me) but then failed to have an actual opinion on the situation which at least I provided. Vent your steam by all means but (like I wore the criticism last year) be prepared to present an argument and stand by it and more importantly accept the criticism that will be thrown your way if you get it wrong.

After the winding streets of the season so far we have finally reached the crossroads. Unfortunately, this is where the club will get it right or hugely wrong. There are a few options here:

1 Go for a seasoned coach with a proven record/method but pay through the nose.

2 Go for a current assistant who shows all the 'trademarks' of a good head coach and hope they have the persona and nouse to live up to expectation

3 Find a diamond in the rough. An unseasoned coach who has the passion, respect, confidence, knowledge and 'big picture' to get results (much cheaper than option 1)

IF replacing DB is the clubs decision, the caretaker coach is unimportant, the message has been passed on regardless of who it is.

I have been a Bailey backer but this is the end for him, I would be my preference that he stand down like Neal Craig but this does not seem likely. If he does end up leaving before the end of the year i'd like to see Viney as our caretaker, but it sounds like he's not in the coaching staff so again it doesn't sound like that'll happen.

As for 2012 and beyond, I think the club needs a real hard ass, someone that is uncompromising and demands respect when he walks into a place. The obvious candidate is Malthouse, but I think he will honour at least the first year of his post-coaching contract at the Pies. So where does that leave us? I think at this stage we need an experienced coach, and the only one that I can think of apart from Malthouse that may have an interest is Mark Williams.

That guy somehow managed to get a fractured club and team to a flag against one of the greatest powerhouse sides ever, and at the moment he's just going to be Sheedy's right hand man at GWS.

Whilst I am luckily not in Aus at the moment and therefore did not see the woeful performance(Thank God) I feel JS & the Board should just hold off from any irrational decision. However, it seems the players are not playing for him , therefore at years end we have to look at why we are belted like this..I have heard that ---and not making excuses that the team had a very bad virus,I understand it also went through the Storms team-same venue we train at AAMI.

So much to say, but the words just won't come. A loss of this magnitude is obviously not just about the scoreboard, but about the fabric of the entire club. I certainly don't have the answers, but it seems to me, by the demeanour of the players yesterday, that there is a problem which goes beyond the football department.

Whatever the core problem - and there must be a core to this - it needs to be addressed as soon as possible. The club now needs to make an emphatic statement, in terms of performance on the field, leadership; on and off the field and direction in to the future.

The members are entitled to be addressed and respected. The membership drive for 2012 relies on a clear and unequivocally articulated future plan. God knows what Tom Scully is thinking now.

Whilst I am luckily not in Aus at the moment and therefore did not see the woeful performance(Thank God) I feel JS & the Board should just hold off from any irrational decision. However, it seems the players are not playing for him , therefore at years end we have to look at why we are belted like this..I have heard that ---and not making excuses that the team had a very bad virus,I understand it also went through the Storms team-same venue we train at AAMI.

I wonder if there might be something in that (virus)?

A loss of that magnitude for a professional organisation in these days is inexplicable.

The seconds also lost by an inexplicable amount

I'm not trying to make excuses but such losses must have some reason

Something certainly stinks here...............

Guest The Tweed Pig

There's no question that all can't be well behind the scenes. This club is adept at putting SPIN on everything. I just hope that I don't hear spin when they finally face the music.

So much to say, but the words just won't come. A loss of this magnitude is obviously not just about the scoreboard, but about the fabric of the entire club. I certainly don't have the answers, but it seems to me, by the demeanour of the players yesterday, that there is a problem which goes beyond the football department.

Whatever the core problem - and there must be a core to this - it needs to be addressed as soon as possible. The club now needs to make an emphatic statement, in terms of performance on the field, leadership; on and off the field and direction in to the future.

The members are entitled to be addressed and respected. The membership drive for 2012 relies on a clear and unequivocally articulated future plan. God knows what Tom Scully is thinking now.

I keep thinking about the fabric of the football club too and wonder what effect tanking for high draft picks has truly had on us.

Will Dean Bailey spill the beans when he goes and inform us all exactly what Schwab and co instructed him to do in 2009?

Some rocky times ahead I suspect as we navigate our way out of this mess.

Edited by Range Rover

Whether it's this week or not this is surely the finish for Bailey but anyone calling for him to go before now has been premature. He obviously was given a license to rebuild totally which amounted to a license to lose.

What's become clear this year is a lack of fire in the belly.

But why the love for Malthouse? Is it just because he is a bad tempered so and so? He has coached three clubs - no flag at the Bulldogs, two at West Coast and one at the Pies.

But WC and the Pies are the two best resourced clubs in the country aqnd when Malthouse had the Eagles they were a bloody state side. Three flags with all the advantages he's had does not make him a coaching messiah.

I am seriously interested in a favored son doing the job and the one most likely is Todd Viney.

I keep thinking about the fabric of the football club too and wonder what effect tanking for high draft picks has truly had on us.

Ditto - I have often wondered this year if that taking process has tainted DB's ability to demand the most from his players.

I wonder if there might be something in that (virus)?

A loss of that magnitude for a professional organisation in these days is inexplicable.

The seconds also lost by an inexplicable amount

I'm not trying to make excuses but such losses must have some reason

DC if there was ever a chance DB would get an extension it disappeared yesterday afternoon.

The MFC web site is even saying in an article that this will make it hard to get an extension.

He is gone.

Why wait.

What stinks DC is that our list is not as good as everyone has been saying.

It has not been helped by the departure of our captain and Bruce.

In spite of what a lot on here say Bruce held the half back line together.

I suspect that the way the departure of those two long serving well liked players was handled has had an effect.

With hind sight Green was not the guy for the captain's job.

IMO it has ruined his playing performance, how do you go from all australian to not earning your spot in the team?

It is time for drastic action or this club will implode.

DB must be shown the door this week

Green must resign as captain.

Never thought I would say this but the TS thing is having an effect.

The guy is a second year player who has rarely been on the park in his second year.

He may well have a career threating Injury.

Make him a reasonable offer, if he choses GWS then I do not care any longer.

Lets take the saved salary and the draft picks we get and go after 1 or 2 seasoned hard arsed players.

Not the skinny choir boys we usually pick.

I am really tired of the way this club works.

Drastic hard arsed action like Essendon is the way forward.

Edited by old dee

Whether it's this week or not this is surely the finish for Bailey but anyone calling for him to go before now has been premature. He obviously was given a license to rebuild totally which amounted to a license to lose.

What's become clear this year is a lack of fire in the belly.

But why the love for Malthouse? Is it just because he is a bad tempered so and so? He has coached three clubs - no flag at the Bulldogs, two at West Coast and one at the Pies.

But WC and the Pies are the two best resourced clubs in the country aqnd when Malthouse had the Eagles they were a bloody state side. Three flags with all the advantages he's had does not make him a coaching messiah.

I am seriously interested in a favored son doing the job and the one most likely is Todd Viney.

That is 3 ( +1 more this year )more than we have won in that time frame.

Get over your dislike for him , he is the best going round at present.

The results prove it.

However he will not be available in 2012 so the new coach is elsewhere.

Every time we have a shocking loss, and this is the worst one I have seen, we go back to the 'what effect did tanking have?'

It was one game, that we were behind when the siren went - we tanked unintentionally fantastically.

It wasn't tanking that did this, it was the fact that we are not a good team and our senior players are pathetic. There might be some issues behind the scenes but I very much doubt they are still related to Jordan McMahon's Greatest Moment ©...

Edited by rpfc

Every time we have a shocking loss, and this is the worst one I have seen, we go back to the 'what effect did tanking have?'

It was one game, that we were behind when the siren went - we tanked unintentionally fantastically.

It wasn't tanking that did this, it was the fact that we are not a good team and our senior players are pathetic. There might be some issues behind the scenes but I very much doubt they are still related to Jordan McMahon's Greatest Moment ©...

You believe there was no instruction from within during that season to ease up on the pedal?

Not many others do.

And why does it cause a problem? Because the coach and the people who told him to do it are tainted by the ignominy of it.

The sad thing is that they probably thought nobly of it at the time.

But no time is a good time to not have a 100% genuine crack.

Chickens. Home. Roost.

Edited by Range Rover

But no time is a good time to not have a 100% genuine crack.

Chickens. Home. Roost.

And Collingwood's tanking had an irreversibly negative impact on their future...

Williams also got his team to minor premiers three times and only made 1 GF. He also failed to adapt to modern strategies/gameplans. Yesterdays man.

2 Grand finals

One of which they won.

I'm sorry mate but I would take that in a heartbeat! Williams is the forgotten man. Great coach, Teacher, Tactician and motivator.

How anyone in their right mind can doubt his credentials is just staggering. Port have really gone from strength to strength since his departure.