Dean Bailey

Bailey to get offered a contract extension if we win 10 games, according to Gerard Healey via a source.

I can't see us beating Carlton or West Coast so it seems he could get an extension with a couple of soft wins to end the season.

If the source is correct, great news for Bailey fans.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Can't say I'm a fan but I'm not a hater either. I'm not convinced he is the right man for the job but I think that another year would be OK on this basis - just.

I'm not that sure that there is better available out there right now anyway.

The problem is what do you give him? A one year deal is almost worthless as chances are we'll be back at the same point in a years time. He'd have to make the 8 to secure his future after that, which could be done without making the improvements that will get us close to a flag.

But I can't be convinced he's worth 2 years after this year either.

Oh and the majority of the 10 wins will be against the bottom 4 sides. I'd rather make the decision after what we do in the next 3 weeks and possibly against Port. The GC and Richmond games I wouldn't care about.

Bailey to get offered a contract extension if we win 10 games, according to Gerard Healey via a source.

I can't see us beating Carlton or West Coast so it seems he could get an extension with a couple of soft wins to end the season.

If the source is correct, great news for Bailey fans.

The Melbourne list is Not sufficiently developed or matured enough Yet, for a Hot Gospeling finishing type coach. We need 15 - 20 games more into the main young list Min', before we can afford to push the win at all costs doctrine into them.

They are still just learning to get the Tempo' stage of AFL and the bodies are yet come.

Malthouses games look to have possibly backfired with him seemingly trying to wedge himself from contract? Roos says he's out at this stage for a year or so, then may revisit. Sounds more like convincing the family.

The main targets seem at this stage to be Unavailable, unless something shakes out.

Anyway I think it's too soon for us IMO as we are still yet to debut Important cogs for our wheel, to help us to the main stage. Our spine is yet to be seen in position.

The problem is what do you give him? A one year deal is almost worthless as chances are we'll be back at the same point in a years time. He'd have to make the 8 to secure his future after that, which could be done without making the improvements that will get us close to a flag.

But I can't be convinced he's worth 2 years after this year either.

Oh and the majority of the 10 wins will be against the bottom 4 sides. I'd rather make the decision after what we do in the next 3 weeks and possibly against Port. The GC and Richmond games I wouldn't care about.

One Year extension to prove he can get the guys firing with some aggression.

Then we could all see the canvas taking shape & make a good Judgement. Cook, Davis & McDonald, & I hope to see Fitzpatrick showing us something.

I called 10 wins would be enough at the start of the year. Glad to know I'm on track.

And a one year extension with two parts:

1) The extension clause should be at either 12 wins or finals, whichever happens (18 team season so who knows what'll happen for the 8?)

2) Should have a provision for a further 2 years if provision 1 is made.

Edited by Striker475

The Melbourne list is Not sufficiently developed or matured enough Yet, for a Hot Gospeling finishing type coach. We need 15 - 20 games more into the main young list Min', before we can afford to push the win at all costs doctrine into them.

They are still just learning to get the Tempo' stage of AFL and the bodies are yet come.

Malthouses games look to have possibly backfired with him seemingly trying to wedge himself from contract? Roos says he's out at this stage for a year or so, then may revisit. Sounds more like convincing the family.

The main targets seem at this stage to be Unavailable, unless something shakes out.

Anyway I think it's too soon for us IMO as we are still yet to debut Important cogs for our wheel, to help us to the main stage. Our spine is yet to be seen in position.

Sounds like yet another excuse and we will be in the same position this time next year.

IMO we need a youngish untried coach (obviously an assistant at another club) who has the fire in the belly (not hot gospelling) and understands current players - there are a few examples as senior coaches at other clubs already.

No coach signs for 12 month contract, expect that he will

be offered 2 more years with a moderate trigger i.e. finals for a third.

I'd like to see MASSIVE investment in the football department.

In fact I implore the club to restart debt demolition 2.0 and raise more

money for a competitive football department.

Perhaps this is an indication of a lack of interest from some high profile glitterati candidates. But fair enough if he gets 10 and we are spurned by the big names then by all means give him a chance to stick it up them. Has he enough internal support though?

we have gone nowhere this season, if anything slightly backwards and im not sure Bailey has the full support of the playing group with some of the efforts we have put up this season

extending his contract is a major risk, but i suspect it could also be a scully factor, as they seem to have a very good relationship

Sounds like yet another excuse and we will be in the same position this time next year.

IMO we need a youngish untried coach (obviously an assistant at another club) who has the fire in the belly (not hot gospelling) and understands current players - there are a few examples as senior coaches at other clubs already.

No excuses Hardnot at all, I don't need to make them. But we're not ready to employ a top coach on a 4 year term yet.

We still have to bring more kids in yet and with hopefully a bigger experienced list with Grimes back, and all senior player available. Hird is trying to make this delicate balancing act this Year as is Eade, who has done a great job of nursing his newbies & transitional list through this year.

Next year will shake out a lot of what we have & where we are @ in comparison with the competition.

No coach signs for 12 month contract, expect that he will

be offered 2 more years with a moderate trigger i.e. finals for a third.

I'd like to see MASSIVE investment in the football department.

In fact I implore the club to restart debt demolition 2.0 and raise more

money for a competitive football department.

He just did. This is his one year extension. If no Roos or Matthews, give Bails another extension.

We are no certainty to win all three of those games. Richmond and Gold Coast will back themselves and Port Adelaide will be sending off a number of aging stars and will be keen for a big game. We will have a fight on our hands to win three games.

we have gone nowhere this season, if anything slightly backwards and im not sure Bailey has the full support of the playing group with some of the efforts we have put up this season

extending his contract is a major risk, but i suspect it could also be a scully factor, as they seem to have a very good relationship

Thats not what Greeny says here.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/on-the-couch/melbourne-demons-skipper-brad-green-dismisses-reports-of-rift-between-playing-group-and-officials/story-fn5k2y08-1226102071511

Guest Thomo

After all the KPI's, games into kids and plans that the club has talked about over the last few years, I doubt they would fix an extension to something as simple as games won.

Shy of a quality alternative with premiership experience (Roos, Malthouse, Clarkson), I can't see any viable option other than to re-appoint Bailey.

I'd give him one year with a finals or bust target for 2012. He simply hasn't earned two years.

In order to get to seventh or eighth we'll most likely have to beat a genuine top 8 side and win a game against the likes of North Melbourne at Etihad.

If he can't achieve that in his 5th year with the cattle we've got, then it's time to clear the decks and get a new crew in.

Edited by Range Rover

To my knowledge Stynes has said 10 wins is enough. Please correct me if I'm wrong and just imagined it..

I think Jimmy's words were that he regarded 10 wins to be a 'pass mark'.

meh, you believe everything a football captain with media training says?

I think it's obvious, he's said it publicly recently, a couple of times, that He, & the players, want Bailey to stay on as Coach.

This is the second or third time I've heard him say that.

I don't think the board will sack him after agreeing to take a long term rebuild approach .

It would be a bit of hypocritical thing to do .

However ,If we're pathetic for the rest of the year then we should have a look at a few resumes .