• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Bailey ,Roos, Malthouse or Clarkson?

GRUN DEE

Melbourne coach 2012  

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My gut feel tells me Alistair Clarkson!

Would be great in all aspects of the game and people management...

Unfair on Bailey! Because I think he needs to be given a good go at it. But some performances by the team are just that bad.

Edited by jungle dee

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malthouse.

Widely recognised as a tactical genius. Knows how to develop young players and is a mastermind on game day.

Is very experienced but currently at the top of his game (unlike Sheedy last time around). Has proven he can win premierships and lift average teams to have a genuine shot at a premierships (think Collingwood early 2000s).

We would be lucky to get him.

My ultimate fear is that we'll sack Baily but finish right back with an untried coach, if we can't get a one of these experience coaches then we should stick with Baily. As Lyon said, we should do our research and find out who wants the job before we go making decisions with Dean.

FWIW if we can get Clarko i'd be over the moon, I'd be happy with Roos as well.

From what I have been told, there is a view inside the club that Bailey has been a good development coach but that we need someone new to move us into the new phase and win a Premiership. I have been told by one source that the club has spoken to Roos and Clarkson. Roos has told them he is not interested in coming back as a coach, no word on Clarkson.

My ultimate fear is that we'll sack Baily but finish right back with an untried coach, if we can't get a one of these experience coaches then we should stick with Baily. As Lyon said, we should do our research and find out who wants the job before we go making decisions with Dean.

FWIW if we can get Clarko i'd be over the moon, I'd be happy with Roos as well.

Ditto barr the Roos bit!!!

Mick Malthouse

• 1985 and 1991 Players Association Coach of the Year
  • 1991 Inaugural AFL Coach of the Year
  • 1992 Institute of Sport Coach of the Year [1]
  • Richmond premiership player 1980
  • West Coast premiership coach 1992 and 1994
  • 2008 International Rules Series Coach
  • 2010 International Rules Series Coach
  • 2010 AFLCA Coach of the Year
  • Collingwood premiership coach 2010
  • 2nd longest serving coach of the Collingwood FC behind Jock McHale.
  • 2nd (all time) most games coached at AFL/VFL level.
  • 3rd most wins as coach (all time).

Does anyone really think Hawthorn will let Clarkson go or clarkson would leave a potential top 4 four team to come and coach Melbourne? I'm sorry but this poll is unrealistic. If it's a "who would you want to coach Melbourne" then fine. But let's get back in the real world.

Either Bailey or someone not listed can't see malthouse or clarko leaving and Roos coaching again! Benton Sanderson sounds like an interesting idea I like the idea of an experienced / tactical game day coach and Bailey stay on as development maybe duel coach??

Ok...on the assumption Bailey does wind up come seasons end then Im inclined to discount Malthouse out of hand. 1) Icant see any timelines working to allow it and 2) I dont think hes the best fit.

Clarkson is an interesting option and worthy of consideration. Hed certainly DEMAND their all..and ALL the time.

The man proven to get the best out of lists despite they're not looking the best lists is ROOS..and our list isnt/wont be to shabby !!

Laidley would be worth a consideration.

Maybe instead of a single coach we need to look at the Essendon Model.. I.e A sage senior with an up and comer ? just an idea

I am of the opinion that Bailey Should be given one more year to see what he has got. Remember this year we have had more than our fair share of injuries and we have a very young list as noted by others previously.

This is really just Bailey's second year, since in'08,'09 we were in the midst of a complete cleanout. However, if it is decided that Bailey is not the one to take us foward from 2012-, then a phone call to Brenton Sanderson should be made.

Brenton Sanderson's C.V is pretty impressive:

209 AFL games played- Adelaide (6), Collingwood (4) and Geelong (199).

Played as a Half Back Flanker at Geelong, which requires him to know how to read the play and how to implement defensice setups as a player.

2001 Carji Greeves Medalist.

Assitant Coach at:

Port Adelaide (2006) (Recruitment/ Development Role)

Geelong (2007- Present) (Defensive Coach)- Involved in Three Grand Finals in that time (for a return of two premierships), in one of the most successful teams of the past decade.

- Currently Senior Assitant Coach to Chris Scott at Geelong. (After being Seriously Considered for the Senior Position at Geelong).

He was strongly recommended by Mark Thompson to be the next Senior Coach of Geelong and praised for his analysis of opposition teams.

He has also been commended for the way in which he relates to the players, has been known to handle game day pressure well and helped turn Harry Taylor into a premier backman.

Sanderson is also out of contract for the 2012 Season.

He also would most likely be a cheaper alternative than a Malthouse or a Roos and maybe a better one.

Bailey must go.

Roos will not coach and will stay in Sydney.

Malthouse will stay at Collingwood.

Clarkson will stay at Hawthorn.

Eade will stay at Bulldogs.

As Dee Ajudicator stated, Sanderson has a very good CV - he is well worth talking to!

Are we being asked who we want as coach or who is going to be coach? THe poll isn't exactly clear on that.

I would love to have Malthouse come and coach us, so if it is the former then Mick all the way.

Since I seriously doubt that we have the money to lure Mick to the club and he doesn't strike me as the type to take a pay cut just to work with the best young list in the country, if it's the latter I think we may all be surprised and find that Bailey has been given another year or two.

Edit: I swear that question in red wasn't there two minutes ago.

Edited by RalphiusMaximus

Are we being asked who we want as coach or who is going to be coach? THe poll isn't exactly clear on that.

I would love to have Malthouse come and coach us, so if it is the former then Mick all the way.

Since I seriously doubt that we have the money to lure Mick to the club and he doesn't strike me as the type to take a pay cut just to work with the best young list in the country, if it's the latter I think we may all be surprised and find that Bailey has been given another year or two.

Edit: I swear that question in red wasn't there two minutes ago.

Who is going to be coach !!!!

Mick Malthouse

• 1985 and 1991 Players Association Coach of the Year
  • 1991 Inaugural AFL Coach of the Year
  • 1992 Institute of Sport Coach of the Year [1]
  • Richmond premiership player 1980
  • West Coast premiership coach 1992 and 1994
  • 2008 International Rules Series Coach
  • 2010 International Rules Series Coach
  • 2010 AFLCA Coach of the Year
  • Collingwood premiership coach 2010
  • 2nd longest serving coach of the Collingwood FC behind Jock McHale.
  • 2nd (all time) most games coached at AFL/VFL level.
  • 3rd most wins as coach (all time).

This CV works for me bigtime.

Has to be "Mick Mongrel Malthouse"

We simply must take him if we get the opportunity

I would be very surprised that our club went for another untried coach even though i do think there are some excellent coaches in waiting

Bailey will get the extension if the club think that he deserves it and can take the club into consistent finals contention 2012 onwards

I really think Bailey will not need to make the 8 this year but if he does his chances at keeping the job will increase

I think Roos is not willing to give up his family time which he would certainly have to if he resumes his role as a senior coach

Malthouse i am not sure of simply because i think Collingwood made their Buckley progression prematurely although i can understand that

they had to do something to stop him from signing elsewhere

There is no doubt Mathouse is hot property and the loser in all this will be Collingwood

Rodney Eade IMO is the next best coach in the AFL and some would even put him ahead of Malthouse in some areas of the game

Clarkson is the other obvious choice as a long term coach irrespective of what happens at hawthorn

The following i doubt will get a gig anywhere else

Bailey (if he isnt successful retaining his job)

Ratten

Craig

Primus

Voss

Hird

Harvey

Sheedy

The following i doubt will get a head coaching job again

Thompson (doubt he would want it anyway)

Laidley

Williams

Connolly

Mathews

Blight

Daniher

Ayres (wants it but really doubt he will be given a chance)

Pagan

Knights

Wallace

Thomas

Too early to say about

The Scott Brothers

Longmire

Hardwick

Lyon (Ross)

McKenna

I can see the following future coaches

Richardson Would have him top of my list - very impressive

Sanderson - (time is running out and what a shame it would be if he gets overlooked again as i really want to see how good this bloke really is)

Viney (IMO the dark horse for the Melbourne job)

Burns

Hinkley (would need to be next year or he will be forgotten)

Ashcroft

Lappin

Leppitsch

Ricuitto

Bickley (even though i am still laughing at his HOF nomination i do believe as many crow eaters think it will be when not if)

Fitzgerald (Maybe even the highly credentialed VFL coach might be a consideration)

Then again just like Bailey was their might be someone out of the blue get their chance

No doubt their will be many changes and some surprises

Would love clarko.

I dont think Roos wants to coach again, and will we pay enough to convince malthouse?

I have a feeling we may no get any of the above.

Interesting the Ox on SEN today said the club is set to announce a couple of new sponsers and is in a good position to afford Malthouse.