The Big Test

Striker475

The Bad

We have not won at Etihad under DB

We have only beaten 2 Victorian teams under DB - the Tigers and the Bombers

Still some players missing (Davey, Grimes, Bail probably viewed as the best of these)

Third six-day break in a row

But....

The Good

We were robbed last year of a win by that stupid pink and black umpires crap

We only lost by 4 points last year against what was a far more in-form Bulldogs side

We have won our last two

This is emerging as the big test of 2011. We win next Friday, we're serious finals contenders. We lose, it's not the be-all and end-all, no, but it is extremely disappointing, especially when you consider what poor form the Dogs have been in.

A massive test. There's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be able to beat the Dogs at ES. I don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but I feel confidence and momentum building amongst this group. A win of Friday night will show them what they're capable of. No excuses.

If we want to play finals, we have to win the next 2 games, and our final 3/4 games, given we will lose Rounds 18,19 and 20 where we play Hawthorn, Geelong and Carlton (although lets hope we smash them!).

It's pretty simple, our effort will dictate our reward. This whole Etihad/we haven't beaten a decent Vic side in years, is pure and utter shite. It's all irrelevant hoodoo. We have to get over it and pump the Dogs, who are well and truly down on form and confidence.

The Bad

Third six-day break in a row

This is a must win if we are serious.

Third six day break will hurt but the doggies are also coming from a 6 day break from the Gold Coast where they played in the heat.

We sux at etihad but we banged on 7 goals in the first quarter v kangas. It really shouldn't be a factor.

Doggies were very poor against the Saints and the Crows 2-3 weeks ago. Hall came in last week and looked short of a gallop. We need to expose him running the other way. They are struggling for form.

Still have class in Griffen, Cooney, Higgins in the midfield but so did Richmond with Cotchin, Martin, Deledio, Foley.

We are getting close to having our best cattle on the field - Tapscott, Davey, Bail, Grimes all important but each not essential.

We have hit some sort of form, with three wins out of the last four. I think unprecedented under DB.

Dogs are not in good form.

IF we are to be taken seriously and to have progressed this year, we just MUST pass this test and challenge the Dogs at this stadium - NO EXCUSES.

A win would be fantastic; a well contested game would be reasonable.

DB can say all he wants, but IT IS UP TO THE PLAYERS TO GET THIS PARTICULAR MONKEY OF THEIR BACKS.

MFC PLAYERS - ARE YOU GOOD ENOUGH; ARE YOU DESPERATELY HUNGRY ENOUGH???

Looking at it from a Doggies point of view, they'll have to win six of their next nine for finals. Their draw is us, then Carlton (Etihad), North Melbourne (Etihad), Sydney (SCG), West Coast (Etihad), Bye, Essendon (Etihad), Port Adelaide (AAMI), Hawthorn (MCG), Fremantle (Etihad). Finals are impossible.

With that being the case and with all the off-field issues surrounding the club I reckon that we should win. I did attend their game versus the Saints and they looked disinterested at times.

Still gotta turn up to play, though.

The Bad

We have only beaten 2 Victorian teams under DB - the Tigers and the Bombers

Don't forget DB's team was not trying for two years as the team was churned. You also have to consider the status of teams played there over the last several years.

Tigers and Bombers are the appropriate measuring sticks at the moment.

We were very undermanned in several games, notably NM and StK, which were winnable games at Jihad Stadium with better line-ups. I thought we were competitive against StK nonetheless. The fade against NM was worrying but even more injuries occurred during the match.

The team has not been in a better position to win against a side like WB, and at Jihad, and has not been in this position for years.

With the right mind-set this should be a handsome victory.

Friday night is important. At this very moment we are in better form than the Dogs, and our essential players are in good form. Etihad should not make any difference. Our best 22 should be able to outplay their best 22. Some points to note:

Without any stats in front of me I reckon the Dogs are a good tackling side so our skills under pressure will be a major factor whether we win/lose.

Our 3 tall backs in Frawley, Rivers and Garland should be able to negate any large player influence from the Dogs forwards. Frawley could play a blinder.

Griffen and Murphy concern me - both must be negated for us to win. Cooney also if he is fit.

Forward 50 pressure is vital.

This whole Etihad/we haven't beaten a decent Vic side in years, is pure and utter shite. It's all irrelevant hoodoo. We have to get over it and pump the Dogs, who are well and truly down on form and confidence.

The tighter confines of Etihad make it easier to zone and that makes it harder for us - agree we've got to get past it and this week would be a good time to start.

Murphy Garland

Giansiracusa - Bartram

Hall - Frawley

Higgins Nicho

Cooney - Strauss/Jordie Mc

Griffen - Jones

Boyd - Jordie Mc/ Nicho

Head to head with these 2

Cross -

Ward -

The tighter confines of Etihad make it easier to zone and that makes it harder for us - agree we've got to get past it and this week would be a good time to start.

Yet our record at the SCG is pretty decent, given how shite we've been in the last few years.

We gotta learn to suck it up and play well outside of the MCG.

I will spew if we lose to Port at AAMI in round 24!

Guest DeesPower

If we want to play finals, we have to win the next 2 games, and our final 3/4 games, given we will lose Rounds 18,19 and 20 where we play Hawthorn, Geelong and Carlton (although lets hope we smash them!).

It's pretty simple, our effort will dictate our reward. This whole Etihad/we haven't beaten a decent Vic side in years, is pure and utter shite. It's all irrelevant hoodoo. We have to get over it and pump the Dogs, who are well and truly down on form and confidence.

I question the assumption we will be beaten by the hawks after their bye the week before. They will also be without Roughhead who cut us up last time, and we will have most of our engine back. We also now have JW in great form, as well as great pickups in Howe and Gysberts. Trengove was also out suspended last time. It will be much closer than we may think now. I reckon we will knock them off for the first time in a long time....

Murphy Garland

Giansiracusa - Bartram

Hall - Frawley

Higgins Nicho

Cooney - Strauss/Jordie Mc

Griffen - Jones

Boyd - Jordie Mc/ Nicho

Head to head with these 2

Cross -

Ward -

Who are you bringing Bartram in for ? MacDonald ?

For the last 3 years the Bulldogs have struggled to beat us, I think in 2009 they only beat us by 7 points and we should of won that day.

Last year still makes me bristle. Lost by 4 and it was the farce where the umps were in the same colours as the MFC players for the cancer game. The number of handballs that went to the umps...

Who are you bringing Bartram in for ? MacDonald ?

Yep.

I think he is the logical defensive replacement against the doggies.

NB Bailey has indicated that Tapscott come back through Casey. Blease is the other option but Etihad is not ideal for him and I reckon we need another small defender against the Dogs.

We seem to be working a Press of our own ATM .

Might be us doing the strangling this time .

B)

We seem to be working a Press of our own ATM .

Might be us doing the strangling this time .

B)

I agree and it is something the Bulldogs have struggled with and are only just trying to address it now themselves. Brett Montgomery said as much a few weeks ago. They have many young players filtering through with some experience out and are in somewhat re-structuring mode. They managed to get over the top of a struggling and young Crows outfit (lacking leadership) a couple of Friday nights ago when Cooney was the sub. Cooney is just starting to hit his straps now, although the GC game is hard to judge on form. Once again the midfield will play a big part, but more importantly the right attitude and a team effort should do the trick. Dees by 31 points/