Tom Scully

Rogue

two things that amuse

- signing any player for 6 years - absolute insanity. Sheedy said two weeks ago that they havent signed any player yet because who would want to risk signing a player that could injured before the seasons out - yet they are going to offer a 6 year deal.

- DB stating the offer as $7M over 6 years - this really makes me believe that no offer has been put to him at all. This must be the 10th different deal that "reliable sources know has been put to Tom Scully". Go back through the papers - 3 years, 4 years, 5 years and now six and dollars ranging from $700K to $1.4M. Yes - a firm offer indeed.

I've gone from ulcers to giggling

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the next 3 years they have an extra $1m in their cap, but they also have 10 extra players, it scales down from there over 5 years from memory

GWS would cripple themselves if they would offer that much to Scully over that period of time, they wouldn't be able to offer their young guns big dollars when they start to get to their peak, I don't believe it for a second, also if they are now offering that then all the other [censored] rumours have just been proven to be false.

This +1

The model is so flawed - over 80% of their list will be locked into to fixed draftee contracts - 2012 -2014. Big trouble once these drafted players finish year two and their salaries go to open market forces.

Edited by nutbean

Barrett is full of it. Has no idea. Just making up wild figures to get himself publicity. Really dislike the guy and have had personal issues with him, confonted him about them via email and never got a response. Terrible person.

I thing I got out of this is Sam was spot on about Gubby. Sam said after the interview whi is this smug smart alec person.

Im sorry but I just dont believe Tom Scully anymore when he says no one form GWS has appraoched his management. GWS met with Ward in person.

7 mill over 6 years is ridiculous for a 3rd year player. I know that figure isnt probably correct but what ever the offer is it will be huge. And they wonder why afl players have money problems.

Anyway I dont care anymore. If Tom wants to go then he can go because the following season we will have a gun player go straight into our midfield. Jack Viney.

Im sorry but I just dont believe Tom Scully anymore when he says no one form GWS has appraoched his management.

Why ?

I am not naive to take it word for word that there have been no approaches from GWS. I am choosing to believe that the only discussion with GWS so far is that there will be no discussions until seasons end.

So when Velocity and Scully say there have been no discussions or offers I for one believe what they say.

Certainly when it comes to offers - there have been so many different "offers" bandied about that I truly dont believe an offer has been made.

Edited by nutbean

Laughable to think they would pay that much money for that length of contract for someone who missed a good portion of this season with a knee injury that has caused him trouble in the past.

The more attention on Scully there is, the less likely he is to go. It wreaks of smoke and mirrors.

Edited by Samsara

Over the next 3 years they have an extra $1m in their cap, but they also have 10 extra players, it scales down from there over 5 years from memory

GWS would cripple themselves if they would offer that much to Scully over that period of time, they wouldn't be able to offer their young guns big dollars when they start to get to their peak, I don't believe it for a second

Spot on Jarka. I made this point (click) on Christmas day (stuck at work, gah) - funny how six months later we still have to rehash the same old crap.

I’m keeping the faith, but people saying smokes and mirrors are kidding themselves. Where there is smoke there is generally fire. GWS are (or have been) keen on Scully. The figures might be right, they might be wrong, but they have obviously made some sort of play for him. Velocity may have "shouldered arms" (to use a cricketing analogy) and said come back to us at the end of the year, but they would have thrown around hypothetical offers at some point to get the types of rumours which we’re seeing.

I actually kind of enjoy all of the drama and innuendo, but people saying he's gone or "its all smokes and mirrors" he’s not going anywhere are both guessing.

Hurry up end of season!

Spot on Jarka. I made this point (click) on Christmas day (stuck at work, gah) - funny how six months later we still have to rehash the same old crap.

intersting that Wolfmother started that thread and used 6mil over 6 years as the "hypothetical" contract value!

This isn't a thread about any one in particular player but if one of our said gun player performs out of site and was offer 6 mil over 6yrs would you begrudge him for taking it considering Davey is probably our highest paid on about 600K??

haha

I’m keeping the faith, but people saying smokes and mirrors are kidding themselves. Where there is smoke there is generally fire. GWS are (or have been) keen on Scully. The figures might be right, they might be wrong, but they have obviously made some sort of play for him. Velocity may have "shouldered arms" (to use a cricketing analogy) and said come back to us at the end of the year, but they would have thrown around hypothetical offers at some point to get the types of rumours which we’re seeing.

I actually kind of enjoy all of the drama and innuendo, but people saying he's gone or "its all smokes and mirrors" he’s not going anywhere are both guessing.

I'm not guessing.

I believe in an honest 19 year old.

Cannot agree with that all. Why would his intertity be questioned. If he goes it will be because at the end of the season he has considered the GWS offer (assuming they actually make one) a better deal for him than the one the dees put to him. Simple as that. He has every right to take this course of action.

I actually think his integrity would be enhanced as he would be following the course of action he (and his management) have been steadfast about since the beginning of the season, despite the inane pressure from the media (and many demons fans if this board is any indication) to make his decision (and the associated disruptive negotiations) now because they can't stand the self imposed tension. Good on him for staying firm and focusing on his footy.

The only way his integrity might be "shot" would be if he has, contrary to his public denials, already agreed to terms with GWS

I totally agree with that - he said he's going to make a decision at the end of the season and one possible outcome is that he receives an offer too good to refuse from GWS. I will be bitterly disappointed but I wont hold that against him. Football is a dangerous occupation - look at Daniel Bell - Tom needs to think very seriously about his future. I hope we can provide other incentives to get him to stay.

He and his management have shown great forsight to insist that the decision be put off until the end of the year, knowing that a possible outcome is that he goes to GWS. If he was forced to make the decision now and elected for the GWS option the outcry would be deafening throughout the season. Why cause that? The real outcome is the same if he makes the decision at the end of the year.

Hurry up end of season!

Absolutely..GWS have spoken to anybody that they dam well want to...The length and quality of an answer from managers would have varied..but the offers are certainly out there.

Grubby's body language last night on the TV told me that..The wheels have been turning.

I'm not guessing.

I believe in an honest 19 year old.

I believe he hasnt lied to date too, but that doesnt mean that he wont stay or wont go. He's making his decision at the end of the year, which is why the people saying 100% gone or 100% staying are guessing.

The collective bargaining discussions, Ward and Scully and now the need to prop up two Adelaide clubs all point to the looming disaster about to hit the game. Demetriou is propping up two clubs while turning a blind eye to the inflationary effects of concessions and a playing field that bears no resemblance to evenness of competition. A lot of people will inevitably be hurt by what the AFL is doing.

two things that amuse

- signing any player for 6 years - absolute insanity. Sheedy said two weeks ago that they havent signed any player yet because who would want to risk signing a player that could injured before the seasons out - yet they are going to offer a 6 year deal.

- DB stating the offer as $7M over 6 years - this really makes me believe that no offer has been put to him at all. This must be the 10th different deal that "reliable sources know has been put to Tom Scully". Go back through the papers - 3 years, 4 years, 5 years and now six and dollars ranging from $700K to $1.4M. Yes - a firm offer indeed.

I've gone from ulcers to giggling

Wasn't Ablett coming off a 5 year deal? Or am I completely off the planet today!

Guest 36DD

The collective bargaining discussions, Ward and Scully and now the need to prop up two Adelaide clubs all point to the looming disaster about to hit the game. Demetriou is propping up two clubs while turning a blind eye to the inflationary effects of concessions and a playing field that bears no resemblance to evenness of competition. A lot of people will inevitably be hurt by what the AFL is doing.

Treading a fine line is Demetripoo, he will be the hero or the goat, massive role of the dice, a successful GWS will cement the AFL as the premier sports code and could possibly lead to Rugby League being absorbed by Rugby Union or it will be a financial blackhole which threatens the survival of some foundation AFL teams.

I wonder how successful the AFL will be when all the supporters give up due to the inequality of the system? The competition will be pretty boring with only a few rich clubs taking part in it.

I don't agree with your doomsday prediction. The AFL can help the SA clubs become independent while growing the game nationally.

But they don't want to fight too many wars on too many fronts. I think Demetriou is crazy not to agree to the players collective bargaining proposal - he's getting a great deal there. The players were very smart to suggest that they involve Fair Work Australia in the discussions - no surprise Demetriou doesn't like that idea. "Now just explain this draft thing to me again and how a player comes to be playing at a club". Despite the media reports that the AFL is "smashing" the AFLPA I read it completely the opposite way. The AFL must retain the draft and salary cap.

Doesn't belong in the Scully thread.

Wasn't Ablett coming off a 5 year deal? Or am I completely off the planet today!

Dont know what he came off but is reportedly on a five year deal at GC.

Dont know what he came off but is reportedly on a five year deal at GC.

I think he had a 5 year deal at Geelong as well and was very underpaid by the end of it (something for Tom to think about?).

Tom must hold off until the end of the season now as his wage and years of contract seem to be growing by the day. By yearsend he'll be playing until he's 40 on a 21 year $30m deal.

Guest hangon007

Grubby's body language last night on the TV told me that..The wheels have been turning.

Grubby's body language last night on the TV told me that.. its time to put on a show. This is not going to be as easy as I thought... that AFL gave us a top hand. But wait nobody of note wants to commit at this stage.

IMHO his performance was below par, smelt of desperation & he fumbled his words under pressure.

I would have loved to have seen the whole interview & not a 30 second grab.

I took the opposite view, unless he is one hell of an actor, just maybe the tide is turning back in our direction. Just maybe the "wheels are not turning" at the pace GWS want.

Cue ... more BS rumours. Cue more $$$$$ ... cue longer contracts for lessor players. Very interesting times ahead.

Guest Artie Bucco

Of course things aren't going that well for GWS - doyou really think their first choice was Callan Ward??!?

I mean, he'll be a fine player, but he's hardly the bloke you build a side around.

And at that money! Incredible.

He's not their first choice, and I doubt he's even their 5th choice.

Grubby's body language last night on the TV told me that.. its time to put on a show. This is not going to be as easy as I thought... that AFL gave us a top hand. But wait nobody of note wants to commit at this stage.

IMHO his performance was below par, smelt of desperation & he fumbled his words under pressure.

I would have loved to have seen the whole interview & not a 30 second grab.

I took the opposite view, unless he is one hell of an actor, just maybe the tide is turning back in our direction. Just maybe the "wheels are not turning" at the pace GWS want.

Cue ... more BS rumours. Cue more $$$$$ ... cue longer contracts for lessor players. Very interesting times ahead.

Whole interview will be on the sunday footy show. And SEN have the Gubby Allen lie of the week for a reason.

I reckon they've tried to speak to Tom and he stonewalled them.