Carlton dilemma over Brock McLean's spot against Melbourne

Granted the McLean deal was a good one and Carlton were dunces in that respect, but dont expect to garner more than a "so what" for Bate, Newton and Dunn. While its premature to talk of trade at this point for Davey, unless he does get his mojo back and plays football the way we know he can then he wont have trade value to rush around about. Green would not buy you much and Beamer and Jones types are not going to pull you anything that would make you trade them. Morton aint going to give you anything above Top 30 and until the end of the season I would be seeing what he can do to turn it around.

Our only real value is in the list are the players we crave will be our future and many of those are out injured, suspended or WIP.

And it wont come down to sentiment.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted the McLean deal was a good one and Carlton were dunces in that respect, but dont expect to garner more than a "so what" for Bate, Newton and Dunn. While its premature to talk of trade at this point for Davey, unless he does get his mojo back and plays football the way we know he can then he wont have trade value to rush around about. Green would not buy you much and Beamer and Jones types are not going to pull you anything that would make you trade them. Morton aint going to give you anything above Top 30 and until the end of the season I would be seeing what he can do to turn it around.

Our only real value is in the list are the players we crave will be our future and many of those are out injured, suspended or WIP.

And it wont come down to sentiment.

Not sure it is all about what you get RR.

There are big savings to be made in some of the salaries

Take Green and Davey probably on 500 each.

A reasonable second round pick plus we pay the 200 of the salary for each.

Saving of 600 000 to pay our improving young guys.

might be a reasonable deal.

Having said that imagine if we tried to [censored] off the captain and vice captain.

So, a'la Brent Grgic when he played his one good game for the Cats can we put him down for two votes already (no point being unrealistic and them giving maxiumum votes to anybody other than J**d)

Granted the McLean deal was a good one and Carlton were dunces in that respect, but dont expect to garner more than a "so what" for Bate, Newton and Dunn. While its premature to talk of trade at this point for Davey, unless he does get his mojo back and plays football the way we know he can then he wont have trade value to rush around about. Green would not buy you much and Beamer and Jones types are not going to pull you anything that would make you trade them.

RR, I reckon GWS or the Gold Coast would be prepared to give up a half decent draft pick for Moloney or Jones. We definitely don't need both of them with McKenzie, Gysberts, Trengove, Scully and Sylvia all having pretty good inside games and Viney on the way. Moloney in particular would be appealing to a young team not wanting to get smashed at the clearances.

RR, I reckon GWS or the Gold Coast would be prepared to give up a half decent draft pick for Moloney or Jones. We definitely don't need both of them with McKenzie, Gysberts, Trengove, Scully and Sylvia all having pretty good inside games and Viney on the way. Moloney in particular would be appealing to a young team not wanting to get smashed at the clearances.

Trading Moloney is going to tear the playing group. He is a real leader, and the boys love him. I don't think a young group of guys is going to appreciate seeing one of their best mates and leader being stabbed in the back and shipped off for yet more draft picks.

There is a lot to be said for players believing the club they play for is going to look after them. Given the recent iffy departures of McLean, Junior and Bruce (all of which I completely support btw), it's time we gain a bit of trust back. You can't just [censored] off a player who is a leader and in top form, just because you don't think he'll still be on fire 4 seasons down the track.

Trading Moloney is going to tear the playing group. He is a real leader, and the boys love him. I don't think a young group of guys is going to appreciate seeing one of their best mates and leader being stabbed in the back and shipped off for yet more draft picks.

There is a lot to be said for players believing the club they play for is going to look after them. Given the recent iffy departures of McLean, Junior and Bruce (all of which I completely support btw), it's time we gain a bit of trust back. You can't just [censored] off a player who is a leader and in top form, just because you don't think he'll still be on fire 4 seasons down the track.

Correct.

Hence we put up Jones.

Morton aint going to give you anything above Top 30

What bull.

You probably the first who would say which club would trade for Mclean. Which club would trade for a Andjes Everitt for a first round pick, richard tambling - first round pick, Mark Williams - first pick, Travis Johnstone 1st pick, jordan Mcmahon 1st pick,, andrew lovett,

Morton would still be pulling in trade value btw pick 16-25 easy if not higher.

What bull.

You probably the first who would say which club would trade for Mclean. Which club would trade for a Andjes Everitt for a first round pick, richard tambling - first round pick, Mark Williams - first pick, Travis Johnstone 1st pick, jordan Mcmahon 1st pick,, andrew lovett,

If we can get below pick 20 for Morton the club should move heaven and earth to make it happen. Morton is the new David Bourke.

Not sure it is all about what you get RR.

There are big savings to be made in some of the salaries

Take Green and Davey probably on 500 each.

A reasonable second round pick plus we pay the 200 of the salary for each.

Saving of 600 000 to pay our improving young guys.

might be a reasonable deal.

Having said that imagine if we tried to [censored] off the captain and vice captain.

It is about what you get as a package.

Unless you get both players playing some cracking football then you will probably looking at late 2nd round/3rd round pick.

If they start playing cracking football you have to ask why you are trading form senior players when you have a shortage. And the current C and VC. Not a good look.

you better hope for some rank stupidity then to create some value.

Look at Jobe Watson to see what Gys could become. Tall inside mid with poor kicking penetration early in his career. Woo hoo.

gee there are some ordinary comments on the board lately, but with that one mate you are putting yourself in elite company

Look at Jobe Watson to see what Gys could become. Tall inside mid with poor kicking penetration early in his career. Woo hoo.

and now his kicking is great, and would possibly be leading the Brownlow voting if i wasn't for his injury? Judd favouritism?

If Gys ends up anything like Watson it'll be bloody brilliant

In all due respect to Jobe Watson who I admire for his work ethic and leadership, 'The Gys' to me seems more advanced at the same stage of development, looks to be elite with hands and reflexes, reading centre bounce work. I think his kicking is very, very good. Much better than that of Jobe's early days - Jobe's has improved since early days.

* Just been watching the 2007 Ess v Coll ANZAC Day match on the box, and Jobe looked very much out of his depth back then. He has developed a great deal since then in size and shape and ability to improve in clearances and contested possession, it is a great credit to his work ethic and desire to become an established player in the AFL.

I've referred to Pendlebury a bit when discussing Gysberts. Funnily enough he was also in this game (his 5th game of AFL having just come off a rising star nomination in round 4, 2007) and looks every bit as skinny and raw as Gysberts does now. Just an observation.

Hence we put up Jones.

You must be on crack if you think we should trade Jones. He is straight up one of our best performers this season, cares about the club more than most and trains harder than all. Why people have such a dislike of him is absolutely beyond me. As someone said earlier, how good was Swan at 23? Or infinite other players who have played in a shite team their whole career. Add a first class squad around him, who stop giving him such shite possessions, and we'll see a completely different player. Not everyone in the side needs to be (or will ever be) a superstar. Players like Jones serve a purpose and for mine, are worth their weight in gold. Talk of trading him is so absurd, it almost defies logic.

You must be on crack if you think we should trade Jones. He is straight up one of our best performers this season, cares about the club more than most and trains harder than all. Why people have such a dislike of him is absolutely beyond me. As someone said earlier, how good was Swan at 23? Or infinite other players who have played in a shite team their whole career. Add a first class squad around him, who stop giving him such shite possessions, and we'll see a completely different player. Not everyone in the side needs to be (or will ever be) a superstar. Players like Jones serve a purpose and for mine, are worth their weight in gold. Talk of trading him is so absurd, it almost defies logic.

couldn't agree more. If you have ever been involved in a footy club you know who the guys like Jones and Moloney are. They are amongst the few that give absolutely everything on and off the field, so important to the group, they wouldnt get traded in a million years and rightly so

couldn't agree more. If you have ever been involved in a footy club you know who the guys like Jones and Moloney are. They are amongst the few that give absolutely everything on and off the field, so important to the group, they wouldnt get traded in a million years and rightly so

Exactly C&B, I can only hope that the powers that be at the MFC think the same, and thankfully I am pretty sure they do. 100 games from a possible 104 says alot for a player who is meant to be such a liability.

Exactly C&B, I can only hope that the powers that be at the MFC think the same, and thankfully I am pretty sure they do. 100 games from a possible 104 says alot for a player who is meant to be such a liability.

The people on here who rate Jones a C grader really amaze me!

I look forward to seeing Brock McLean playing at the MCG this Friday night. He was a favourite when he played for us but I think injuries took their toll. He was never fast but when I saw him playing for the Bullants in a televised game earlier this year, he looked as slow as treacle. He still managed to pick up a lot of the football. I'm over his decision to leave ... well almost. I still look forward to him having to make the long and arduous trip down the freeway to Casey Fields on 27 August when the Bullants take on the Scorps. :)

I look forward to seeing Brock McLean playing at the MCG this Friday night. He was a favourite when he played for us but I think injuries took their toll. He was never fast but when I saw him playing for the Bullants in a televised game earlier this year, he looked as slow as treacle. He still managed to pick up a lot of the football. I'm over his decision to leave ... well almost. I still look forward to him having to make the long and arduous trip down the freeway to Casey Fields on 27 August when the Bullants take on the Scorps. :)

I look forward to the "Beamer" confrontation. After the game they can catch up, but when the heat is on.....BANG B)

Guest Artie Bucco

HT, Gysberts also has said in the past that he based his game on Pendlebury's.

Last year around the time of the Collingwood QB match, he said it was exciting for him to play on a guy he looked up to growing up.

May have even been his favourite player.

Those talking about trading Moloney, I did suggest it in another thread, but only to create some discussion.

I don't think we could afford to trade him, it'd be a shock to the system of our kids.

I'm sure in the midfield he'd be looked to as our spiritual leader.

But, if we want to get something good, we'll have to give up something good...

I know Scott Clayton is a huge fan of Cale Morton - Morton for Dion Prestia.

I'd do that trade. I think it'd actually end up being a win-win, like the Judd/Kennedy deal.

Or Morton for Josh Caddy.

Same thing.

Guest Artie Bucco

I think they'd be more likely to trade a small, and I think Prestia will be a star.

Also, he was a diehard dees supported as a kid, so we might have more chance of prying him away.

The end of this season will be the time to do it - before he gets too comfy in QLD and the bonds with his teammates grow stronger.

I think they'd be more likely to trade a small, and I think Prestia will be a star.

Also, he was a diehard dees supported as a kid, so we might have more chance of prying him away.

The end of this season will be the time to do it - before he gets too comfy in QLD and the bonds with his teammates grow stronger.

I hypothetically mentioned Lynch as a like for a like. Stronger body.. besides there is still time for Morton to pull his finger out. It's too early to suggest such scenario's.

Btw, wouldn't Prestia have a 2 yr contract with GC ? For that matter nearly all of them would, wouldn't they?