Robbie Flower - Open Mike

Shmekel

Tonight on Open Mike (after On the Couch) is a Mike Sheehan interview with Robbie. IQ it now guys.

Classic Robbie Flower - always managed to emerge when we needed someone to put a smile on our faces. The timing of this interview couldn't be better. Thanks HT.

Any chance of providing a run down?

Sorry doesnt start for halfa but if anyone could i would be greatful

Edited by Jordie_tackles

A few points from the interview covered in no particular order:

Started with 1987 Preliminary Final and his popped shoulder caused by the Big Dipper and said he would have been doubtful to play the following week in the Grand Final had the Prelim Final been a win. Covered the Buckenara goal and mentioned the siren having been sounded whilst the ball was still in the air before the ball reached Buckenara.

Spoke about the time when he first got selected into the senior side and that he didn't know any of the senior players. He hadn't trained with the senior side, only with the U/19 side.

Grew up with No.4 on his back . Big John Lord (ruckman).

Spoke highly of Barrassi and stated he returned the club into a professional club from a amateur club. Ball handling - left & right handballing. Robbie appreciated the teachings of Barrassi, whether it be life - time management. If you didn't do what he wanted Barrassi would weigh on you like a tonne of bricks. The expectation of success was enormous under Barrassi.

Spoke of the "Wing" as a tactical position. He enjoyed it in being attacking and the abilities and thought process to defend. Went back to the half back flank in 1983 and finished 3rd in the Brownlow.

Arrived at the club a strapping 69kg player. A small antiquated facility as a club at the time with a few weights and no room to move, unlike today's AAMI Park facility. No twitter, no iphone's either - thought I would add that. Spoke about Barrassi as a coach, and his time when he started on Malcolm Blight at full back who kicked 3 goals in 3 minutes on him, before being moved to Full Forward by Barrass.

Round 22, 1987 - Robbie's favourite moment of his career. Travelled to the Western Oval knowing it could be the last day of football in his career. Stated he was angry at half-time having not done much and remembers it vividly. Went on about the 3/4 time huddle and the players wanting to know the score down at Kardinia Park between Geelong v Hawthorn. One of the officials said the Hawks were well in control and all they had to do was beat Footscray. Little did they know that Geelong was in front all day until about at the 20 min mark of the last quarter at the Western Oval, when the sound of the crowd were in ruptures having heard that Jason Dunstall had kicked Hawthorn in front late in the game. The players thought it was the siren.

Such a unique day in the history of the Melbourne Football Club, but also one might want to forget from an onfield point-of-view, particularly one being Garry Lyon who broke his leg in the first quarter of that very game.

{The greatest day I can remember at the footy as a young kid^}

Spoke of Carl Ditterich - made people stand taller on the field when he played as player-coach and results were positive more often than not when he played.

Kicked more than 300 goals in 274 games playing predominantly off half back/wing. Occassionally up forward particularly later in career. Robbie loved representing the Big V and was humbled to play for the Big V; loved playing with players from other clubs, still has good relationships with past Big V representatives and still plays golf with Bernie Quinlan often today.

Was disappointed in Gerard Healy going to Sydney at a time when he was thought the side was on the cusp of finals.

Described an altercation he had with Mark "Wacko Jacko" Jackson during an intra club, where he had a blue with Jacko which led to all players having a scuffle.

Spoke of his health and his serious prostrate problem. And deciding after consultancy to have it removed. Having learnt that he should get it checked having heard Sheahan himself talk of a colleague who had prostrate cancer.

Throughout the interview it showed replays of his sublime play with the football in his hands.

Great memories.

Edited by High Tower
Contains some edits - updated content.
  • Like 3

Great show. Brought back some of my favourite football memories. Robbie was silky smoothe in everything he did on the field, and such a humble man. A true legend of the Melbourne Football Club. ROBBIE!!

He may have wore #2...but hes my all time favourite footballer. Poetry in motion :)

thanks for the precis there :)

Missed it. Anyway to see it.

My all-time favorite player.

I loved him playing in the big v and Running around the wing.

It's repeated again at 5pm on Saturday (28/5) afternoon......

I don't have foxtel etc... - will it be on free to air or Youtube?

No Melbourne player comes close to this bloke for me. The 70's and 80's were for the most part a terrible wilderness but Flower was football poetry. Skills, poise, brains, courage, leadership, humility - the whole package. Even though modern tackling has changed our game, Flower could baulk anyone.

Favourite football memory: Robbie coming on from the bench to the MCG for the first time in the 1987 Qualifying final (I think) against the Swans and the whole crowd screaming "Robbbiiieee".

Thanks for the post - great memories of a great player who remains a great human being.

Edited by Maldonboy38
  • Like 1

I don't have foxtel etc... - will it be on free to air or Youtube?

No Melbourne player comes close to this bloke for me. The 70's and 80's were for the most part a terrible wilderness but Flower was football poetry. Skills, poise, brains, courage, leadership, humility - the whole package. Even though modern tackling has changed our game, Flower could baulk anyone.

Favourite football memory: Robbie coming on from the bench to the MCG for the first time in the 1987 Qualifying final (I think) against the Swans and the whole crowd screaming "Robbbiiieee".

Thanks for the post - great memories of a great player who remains a great human being.

Agree he was one of the few things we had to cheer about for most of his playing years.

I remember going to a lot matches just to see him.

The problem for those who did not see him was for most of that period there was only 2 matches telecast

as we were crap ( yes again ) the Dees did not feature often and there is not much footage of him.

I would say he is the best player I have seen play in the red and blue in the last 40 years.

If he had played for Carlton during that period he would been clasified a lot higher by the general football public.

How good he would have been in a good side we will never know.

Thanks for the memories RF

Watching Robbie Flower play and Dennis Lillee bowl at the MCG are my two favourite sporting memories.

Edited by Kojak

A few points from the interview covered in no particular order:

Started with 1987 Preliminary Final and his popped shoulder caused by the Big Dipper and said he would have been doubtful to play the following week in the Grand Final had the Prelim Final been a win. Covered the Buckenara goal and mentioned the siren having been sounded whilst the ball was still in the air before the ball reached Buckenara.

Spoke about the time when he first got selected into the senior side and that he didn't know any of the senior players. He hadn't trained with the senior side, only with the U/19 side.

Grew up with No.4 on his back . Big John Lord (ruckman).

Spoke highly of Barrassi and stated he returned the club into a professional club from a amateur club. Ball handling - left & right handballing. Robbie appreciated the teachings of Barrassi, whether it be life - time management. If you didn't do what he wanted Barrassi would weigh on you like a tonne of bricks. The expectation of success was enormous under Barrassi.

Spoke of the "Wing" as a tactical position. He enjoyed it in being attacking and the abilities and thought process to defend. Went back to the half back flank in 1983 and finished 3rd in the Brownlow.

Arrived at the club a strapping 69kg player. A small antiquated facility as a club at the time with a few weights and no room to move, unlike today's AAMI Park facility. No twitter, no iphone's either - thought I would add that. Spoke about Barrassi as a coach, and his time when he started on Malcolm Blight at full back who kicked 3 goals in 3 minutes on him, before being moved to Full Forward by Barrass.

Round 22, 1987 - Robbie's favourite moment of his career. Travelled to the Western Oval knowing it could be the last day of football in his career. Stated he was angry at half-time having not done much and remembers it vividly. Went on about the 3/4 time huddle and the players wanting to know the score down at Kardinia Park between Geelong v Hawthorn. One of the officials said the Hawks were well in control and all they had to do was beat Footscray. Little did they know that Geelong was in front all day until about at the 20 min mark of the last quarter at the Western Oval, when the sound of the crowd were in ruptures having heard that Jason Dunstall had kicked Hawthorn in front late in the game. The players thought it was the siren.

Such a unique day in the history of the Melbourne Football Club, but also one might want to forget from an onfield point-of-view, particularly one being Garry Lyon who broke his leg in the first quarter of that very game.

{The greatest day I can remember at the footy as a young kid^}

Spoke of Carl Ditterich - made people stand taller on the field when he played as player-coach and results were positive more often than not when he played.

Kicked more than 300 goals in 274 games playing predominantly off half back/wing. Occassionally up forward particularly later in career. Robbie loved representing the Big V and was humbled to play for the Big V; loved playing with players from other clubs, still has good relationships with past Big V representatives and still plays golf with Bernie Quinlan often today.

Was disappointed in Gerard Healy going to Sydney at a time when he was thought the side was on the cusp of finals.

Described an altercation he had with Mark "Wacko Jacko" Jackson during an intra club, where he had a blue with Jacko which led to all players having a scuffle.

Spoke of his health and his serious prostrate problem. And deciding after consultancy to have it removed. Having learnt that he should get it checked having heard Sheahan himself talk of a colleague who had prostrate cancer.

Throughout the interview it showed replays of his sublime play with the football in his hands.

Great memories.

I missed Robbie Flower & Mike last night, So thanks heaps for that snapshot HT

Agree some Great Memories, you really had to live through the rollercoaster emotions of 1987 to get the full impact.

Even when we contested the Grand finals in 1988 & 2000 the emotion level wasn't quite the same.

1987 really was our best chance since 1964, it didn't happen but who knows what is around the corner when we least see it coming.

To this point in my life Robert Flower remains the Greatest Demon I have had the pleasure of seeing play our great game.

Scully, Trengove & Gysberts all have the potential to carve our similiar careers

To any younger supporters who have never seen him play, Do yourself a BIG favour .

Edited by Old Man Rivers

I have to add to this topic. Flower was a gun. No argument.

But there is one man who played just before him who was the best centre-half back I have seen, including Jakovich. And that is Gary Hardeman. He came 2nd in the Brownlow in 1973 or 74 being pipped at the post by the limp Keith Greig. Hardeman could match and beat Wade, McKenna, Jesalenko and Hudson. Even Neitz was not in the same class as Hardeman as a centre half back.

I missed Robbie Flower & Mike last night, So thanks heaps for that snapshot HT

Agree some Great Memories, you really had to live through the rollercoaster emotions of 1987 to get the full impact.

Even when we contested the Grand finals in 1988 & 2000 the emotion level wasn't quite the same.

1987 really was our best chance since 1964, it didn't happen but who knows what is around the corner when we least see it coming.

To this point in my life Robert Flower remains the Greatest Demon I have had the pleasure of seeing play our great game.

Scully, Trengove & Gysberts all have the potential to carve our similiar careers

To any younger supporters who have never seen him play, Do yourself a BIG favour .

I agree with what you say about 1987. I've stated before on here I wish for those who weren't there in '87 to have experienced it. You speak of the emotional level not being the same and I agree. What stands out for me was the culmination and increase in energy in the six weeks leading up to that point. It was a gradual increase in emotion, because many Melbourne supporters could see the level of intensity and improvement leading up to Round 22, 1987. Back at Round 16-17 it seemed both impossible and mathematically impossible in reaching the finals.

I've posted something here a couple of years ago on the permutations on that Saturday, as I'm sure others have, but I'll revisit it again. This thread deserves it.

On that day in 1987, we had a top five back then. Off the top of my head it went:

Carlton

Hawthorn

Sydney

North Melbourne

Geelong

Footscray

Melbourne

I don't know the exact Premiership points for all sides (I'm sure someone will come up with them) at the end of the home and away season, but I'm pretty sure Melbourne were on 44 points, as I think Footscray were, and I think from memory Geelong were on either 44 point with a superior percentage or 46 premiership points. So both Footscray and Melbourne were reliant on Hawthorn doing the right thing and beating Geelong, whilst winning themselves.

The other games were intriguing as well. All positions were up for grabs. Sydney played Fitzroy and a win would have ensured them a double chance. Carlton and North played one another at Waverley. The Hawks were relying on North beating Carlton to get top spot and a week off. North wanted to win to get third (I think) and the double chance if Fitzroy knocked off Sydney.

At Waverley, Kernahan kicked a late goal (may have been after the final siren) to secure top spot and the week off. Which also ensured Sydney obtain third spot. The Hawks got up over Geelong thanks to Dunstall, yet Geelong had led all day. In the meantime Melbourne were battling away at the kennel (while Footscray supporters had their legs and fingers crossed) and hit their straps in the second half for a momentous win with Robbie weaving his magic, whilst Melbourne supporters gripped tightly their transister radio's around the Doug Hawkins wing hoping like hell the Hawks would get up.

I remember it vividly and I also remember the cracking sound of Garry Lyon's leg in the first quarter virtually right in front of me (not even 20metres from where I stood), the hush soon around the ground, and him being taken off on a stretcher (we've seen the vision). Undoubtedly painful.

Getting back to the culmination of energy, excitement. As a kid it was overwhelming, but awesome. It was like a huge wave of history and emotion for the players to ride on. But through high intensity and exciting play they steam rolled there way through the Elimination Final (Nth Melb) and Semi-Final (Sydney Swans) with massive support. Every Melbourne supporter were thinking 'bring on the Hawks...'

I recall a young Todd Viney's snap for goal in the early minutes of the Elimination Final, the roar was fairdinkum unbelievable (thanks Bobby), it was like 23 years of raw emotion being let go. As a 13 year old back then I thought, well this is it, the Demon is awake. It felt great. We went onto crush them by 20 goals. Twenty.

Great memories.

• Like 1

1987 at the Western Oval was like a GF. I will never forget that day

To hear people say "We are There" (Finals) was the ultimate.

Robbie Flower could easily play AFL today..his ball skills were just sublime every week.

I have to add to this topic. Flower was a gun. No argument.

But there is one man who played just before him who was the best centre-half back I have seen, including Jakovich. And that is Gary Hardeman. He came 2nd in the Brownlow in 1973 or 74 being pipped at the post by the limp Keith Greig. Hardeman could match and beat Wade, McKenna, Jesalenko and Hudson. Even Neitz was not in the same class as Hardeman as a centre half back.

And to top it off he drove taxi's at the time

How things have changed.

I know Gary and as well as a great player he is a really nice guy.

A standard Selection at CHB for Victoria..Gary Hardeman. Number 33.

And quite often the only player we would get in the Vic side.

Also played for SA after he left the dees.

Edited by old dee

And quite often the only player we would get in the Vic side.

Also played for SA after he left the dees.

If you can find a copy of "Crackers" Crackers Keenan's hilarious Biography, he tells some good stories about Gary & Tony Sullivan

One of the best footy books i have ever read!

If you can find a copy of "Crackers" Crackers Keenan's hilarious Biography, he tells some good stories about Gary & Tony Sullivan

One of the best footy books i have ever read!

Well at the risk of boring anyone under 50

I had forgotten Tony Sullivan.

He was one of our better players from that era.

Thanks WYL I had forgotten some of the better players of that ordinary period