Robbie Flower - Open Mike

Shmekel

Well at the risk of boring anyone under 50

I had forgotten Tony Sullivan.

He was one of our better players from that era.

Thanks WYL I had forgotten some of the better players of that ordinary period

Tony was very under rated i believe, that side from '71-'72 should have played finals. Wasted years, we had very solid players.

Was amazed when they said last night Flower topped our goalkicking three times, yet only one our best and fairest once. Thats an amazing stat given he was our only decent player at the time.

I remember the thrill of rushing home to see the midweek State Of Origin games against WA knowing he'd be playing amongst, and often outshining, the best in the business...

I was shocked to learn that he only won one B&F. He was quite philosophical about it, all things considered.

The other interesting thing was you could sense a small amount of bitterness still lingered over Healy's move from Melbourne to Sydney. It stood out in the interview, given he generally seems a very humble and accepting guy.

Edited by P_Man

I was shocked to learn that he only won one B&F. He was quite philosophical about it, all things considered.

He commented that he had the odd injury during some of his years in missing a few games. He also mentioned that some players who had won B&F's such as Fowler, Wells, Ditterich to name a few, had full 21 or 22 game seasons and far more consistent than he was. In the Brownlow where he usually polled well in comparison votes are a 3-2-1, and if you played really well here and there you would get votes. Whereas in B&F's votes were given regardless of win-loss or performance.

For example if Flower had 6 really outstanding good games and polled 3-2-3-3-2-2 = 15 votes in the Brownlow, yet wasn't as influential in remaining games (no polling) .

And Fowler had 3 very good games and was good for the remaining season generally having influence he wouldn't poll as many in the Brownlow, but would be very high in the Best & Fairest.

ie. An Adam Goodes perhaps, hot & cold almost. Does well in Brownlow, but B&F ? {probably not the best example, but I'm hoping you catch my drift}

• Like 1

Tony was very under rated i believe, that side from '71-'72 should have played finals. Wasted years, we had very solid players.

Agree wholeheartedly WYL. Stan Alves, Frank Davis, Johnny Townsend, Greg Wells and Barry Bourke were some other good or very good players in that era, and yet we were stuck in the bottom half of the ladder. Wasted years indeed.

Agree wholeheartedly WYL. Stan Alves, Frank Davis, Johnny Townsend, Greg Wells and Barry Bourke were some other good or very good players in that era, and yet we were stuck in the bottom half of the ladder. Wasted years indeed.

I have never worked it out D.o.F. Tiger Ridley was no slouch as a coach, Whatever was lacking back then, is still missing today thus far.

Never forget my parents taking me to the Sports Co (or Sports Power) store that Robbie used to work at, think it was in Box Hill (a long drive from Ballarat at the time). I would've been all of 7 or 8 years old, and proudly wore the number 2 on my back. Poor Robbie didn't have a Melbourne jumper in stock, and as a result, I had to try a Collingwood jumper on to get the size right. Robbie's words of advice prior to me putting it on; "close your eyes and block your nose". As I idolised him greatly, I did just that, he got my right size worked out and sent the (right) jumper up to me.

A true gentleman on field, an even truer(?) one off field.

• Like 1

Described an altercation he had with Mark "Wacko Jacko" Jackson during an intra club, where he had a blue with Jacko which led to all players having a scuffle.

Sadly no mention of the scenes afterwards when Jacko was ordered off by Slug Jordan and grabbed some a brick off a fence and threatened to lob it at him!

What a character. What a nutbag.

Robbie loved representing the Big V and was humbled to play for the Big V; loved playing with players from other clubs, still has good relationships with past Big V representatives and still plays golf with Bernie Quinlan often today.

From what i remember he always played with distinction when he wore the Big V...

I think he captained Big V too? Maybe someone can confirm..

Never forget my parents taking me to the Sports Co (or Sports Power) store that Robbie used to work at, think it was in Box Hill (a long drive from Ballarat at the time). I would've been all of 7 or 8 years old, and proudly wore the number 2 on my back. Poor Robbie didn't have a Melbourne jumper in stock, and as a result, I had to try a Collingwood jumper on to get the size right. Robbie's words of advice prior to me putting it on; "close your eyes and block your nose". As I idolised him greatly, I did just that, he got my right size worked out and sent the (right) jumper up to me.

He did have a store at Waverly Gardens that he'd man personally .

Also remember Leigh Matthews owning a (shoe?)shop at Brandon Park .

A few points from the interview covered in no particular order:

Started with 1987 Preliminary Final and his popped shoulder caused by the Big Dipper and said he would have been doubtful to play the following week in the Grand Final had the Prelim Final been a win. Covered the Buckenara goal and mentioned the siren having been sounded whilst the ball was still in the air before the ball reached Buckenara.

Spoke about the time when he first got selected into the senior side and that he didn't know any of the senior players. He hadn't trained with the senior side, only with the U/19 side.

Grew up with No.4 on his back . Big John Lord (ruckman).

Spoke highly of Barrassi and stated he returned the club into a professional club from a amateur club. Ball handling - left & right handballing. Robbie appreciated the teachings of Barrassi, whether it be life - time management. If you didn't do what he wanted Barrassi would weigh on you like a tonne of bricks. The expectation of success was enormous under Barrassi.

Spoke of the "Wing" as a tactical position. He enjoyed it in being attacking and the abilities and thought process to defend. Went back to the half back flank in 1983 and finished 3rd in the Brownlow.

Arrived at the club a strapping 69kg player. A small antiquated facility as a club at the time with a few weights and no room to move, unlike today's AAMI Park facility. No twitter, no iphone's either - thought I would add that. Spoke about Barrassi as a coach, and his time when he started on Malcolm Blight at full back who kicked 3 goals in 3 minutes on him, before being moved to Full Forward by Barrass.

Round 22, 1987 - Robbie's favourite moment of his career. Travelled to the Western Oval knowing it could be the last day of football in his career. Stated he was angry at half-time having not done much and remembers it vividly. Went on about the 3/4 time huddle and the players wanting to know the score down at Kardinia Park between Geelong v Hawthorn. One of the officials said the Hawks were well in control and all they had to do was beat Footscray. Little did they know that Geelong was in front all day until about at the 20 min mark of the last quarter at the Western Oval, when the sound of the crowd were in ruptures having heard that Jason Dunstall had kicked Hawthorn in front late in the game. The players thought it was the siren.

Such a unique day in the history of the Melbourne Football Club, but also one might want to forget from an onfield point-of-view, particularly one being Garry Lyon who broke his leg in the first quarter of that very game.

{The greatest day I can remember at the footy as a young kid^}

Spoke of Carl Ditterich - made people stand taller on the field when he played as player-coach and results were positive more often than not when he played.

Kicked more than 300 goals in 274 games playing predominantly off half back/wing. Occassionally up forward particularly later in career. Robbie loved representing the Big V and was humbled to play for the Big V; loved playing with players from other clubs, still has good relationships with past Big V representatives and still plays golf with Bernie Quinlan often today.

Was disappointed in Gerard Healy going to Sydney at a time when he was thought the side was on the cusp of finals.

Described an altercation he had with Mark "Wacko Jacko" Jackson during an intra club, where he had a blue with Jacko which led to all players having a scuffle.

Spoke of his health and his serious prostrate problem. And deciding after consultancy to have it removed. Having learnt that he should get it checked having heard Sheahan himself talk of a colleague who had prostrate cancer.

Throughout the interview it showed replays of his sublime play with the football in his hands.

Great memories.

Just read this belatedly but have to thank you HT for posting the summary. Great read, brought back memories. What an absolute legend R. Flower is/was. One of the rare sportsmen who made time stand still.

And he's right ... Buckenara marked it after the siren!

Wow !

The exact same thing happened to me but I think it was a Richmond jumper.

The store he owned was at Forest Hill shopping centre (near the southern car park)

I hated shopping and still do, but as a kid I always went to Forest Hill when mum went so I could see if Robbie Flower was there.

Absolute legend of the game and would probably fit into most teams today.

Edited by DeeMfc

Watching Robbie Flower play and Dennis Lillee bowl at the MCG are my two favourite sporting memories.

I agree- both were like poetry in motion.

From what i remember he always played with distinction when he wore the Big V...

I think he captained Big V too? Maybe someone can confirm..

Robbie definitely captained the Big V (three times!) but I'm not sure of the years. Won AA selection on two occasions.

I have to add to this topic. Flower was a gun. No argument.

But there is one man who played just before him who was the best centre-half back I have seen, including Jakovich. And that is Gary Hardeman. He came 2nd in the Brownlow in 1973 or 74 being pipped at the post by the limp Keith Greig. Hardeman could match and beat Wade, McKenna, Jesalenko and Hudson. Even Neitz was not in the same class as Hardeman as a centre half back.

I hate to be pedantic but Gary generally played centre half back whereas the players mentioned above were all full forwards so Gary would not have played on them often. People forget that he was also thrown forward or on the ball & kicked more than 100 goals for us.

And Keith Greig was a great footballer.

Wow !

The exact same thing happened to me but I think it was a Richmond jumper.

The store he owned was at Forest Hill shopping centre (near the southern car park)

I hated shopping and still do, but as a kid I always went to Forest Hill when mum went so I could see if Robbie Flower was there.

Absolute legend of the game and would probably fit into most teams today.

It was indeed Forest Hill, thanks for that! Was it Sports Co or Sports Power?

I watched Open Mike the other night, and the big comment that stood out for me was the fact that every time he walked in to the ground, he thought the Dee's were going to win. He didn't care what oppoisition they were playing - in his mind they were going to win.

For a guy that played many, many years with limited success, it is an amazing attitude to have, and one that should be a non-negotiable for every player that wears the red & blue. People get on here and talk about the losing culture that Bailey/The Club has created in recent years, that crap is all in the head. Melbourne had a losing culture in the early 80's, but the leaders never believed it.

It was indeed Forest Hill, thanks for that! Was it Sports Co or Sports Power?

I watched Open Mike the other night, and the big comment that stood out for me was the fact that every time he walked in to the ground, he thought the Dee's were going to win. He didn't care what oppoisition they were playing - in his mind they were going to win.

For a guy that played many, many years with limited success, it is an amazing attitude to have, and one that should be a non-negotiable for every player that wears the red & blue. People get on here and talk about the losing culture that Bailey/The Club has created in recent years, that crap is all in the head. Melbourne had a losing culture in the early 80's, but the leaders never believed it.

I'm pretty sure it was Sports Co.

Although some on here think things aren't all rosy at the moment, if they grew up following Melbourne in the late 70's and 80's they would understand what being a dedicated supporter was !

Although the rebuild was necessary, at least there was a 'method' for the reason we were languishing at the bottom of the table in recent years.

Back in the 70's and 80's that same 'method' wasn't around to use as an excuse.

Robbie Flower stuck with the club through thick and thin and apparently was offered big $ from other clubs but said NO !

• 3 years later...

If Dillon and Parke had played more together during that period we would have played finals.

If Dillon and Parke had played more together during that period we would have played finals.

what ever happened with those guys? did they finish with Melbourne?

are they still around Melbourne?

& Ray Manley, anyone know what he's doing these days?

I remember seeing him running along the wing / HF and two Collingwood players came at him from either side. They were timed so they'd both hit him at the same time, and he spun - yep - spun through the middle of the them at pace, and kept going leaving them both grabbing air. He had no right to do that and no other player could have done that, but he did it, and he did it as easy as you or I would walk through a door.