WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JACK VINEY

einstein251

We aren't the only side that missed Darling.

Recruiters rate jack around 6-8, probably around where Kennedy is rated, I think thats a fair assessment.

If GWS or GC want to throw their pick 1 or 2 at him, good on them.

If we take Viney at 3, we take him at 3, I personally wouldn't and I find it hard to make a case as to why our club will.

Stringer had a worse injury than Viney and has had a far better year.

On top of that, he was probably even more highly rated than Viney, prior to injury.

Cameron Schwab told me last night we will take Viney fullstop. pick 3 or 23 does not matter.

All the players i had a chat with maybe 10 said he is the best and hardest kid they have ever seen.

Stringer is also really not playing near as good since he hurt his leg so i dont were that is coming from.

Dont think you need to worry about viney he will be a demon in 2013 FACT.

Worry about pick 4 and 13.

• Like 3

Cameron Schwab told me last night we will take Viney fullstop. pick 3 or 23 does not matter.

Big Jim i know your heart is in the right place but i have to say this is not helpful. Remember its high stakes poker the club is playing. The advantage of getting Viney second round is massive and should not be underestimated. Put simply if GC have no doubt we'll take him, well of course they'll nominate him and force our hand. If they're not sure they won't take the risk.

I have no contact with anyone at the club or any inside info what so ever. However i suspect the club would prefer passionate fans don't tip their hand, particularly when it comes to quoting our CEO.

Does anyone really think anything said on these boards would seriously influence an AFLclub's recruiting?

GC and GWS will do what they will . I wont be affeced byanything written here, sorry to burst any egos.

Hard to beleive I know but these clubs will have their recruiting people scrutinising much more valid avenues of approach.

Why they wouldnt believe you and me I'll never know !! :unsure:

• Like 1

Does anyone really think anything said on these boards would seriously influence an AFLclub's recruiting?

GC and GWS will do what they will . I wont be affeced byanything written here, sorry to burst any egos.

Hard to beleive I know but these clubs will have their recruiting people scrutinising much more valid avenues of approach.

Why they wouldnt believe you and me I'll never know !! :unsure:

They'd probably only go for a respected persons opinion, like Demon Dan....... :)

Binman - we shouldn't be bluffing anyway, the clubs would have got word of the clubs intentions.

Do deals and make sure of it.

And just to regurgitate how you can do this without receiving the Wrath of the AFL © you simply say, for example, to GWS:

"If you want Pick 3 in the MD, you better keep it alive."

And then to GC:

"We would be willing to part with Pick 13 for Caddy, which may help you get Tippett, but we would be less willing if we didn't have Pick 3 alive."

Done and done.

• Like 9

Stringer is also really not playing near as good since he hurt his leg so i dont were that is coming from.

Neither could Blease for 18 months.

For me it's a moot point. Stringer is a tough kid. The leg has affected movement but it's temporary. I've only seen a couple of VFL games but he still impacts the contest.

I'll be furious if they overlook him because of the injury. It's not crippling. If it never happened he would be rated top five.

• Like 1

Binman -...........

................done.

All except id rather explore better options than Caddy...seems nearly as hyped as some other bloke we knew . :huh:
  • Like 1

All the players i had a chat with maybe 10 said he is the best and hardest kid they have ever seen.

Dont think you need to worry about viney he will be a demon in 2013 FACT.

Worry about pick 4 and 13.

What did I tell you? I have been told the same from someone Im almost dying to say who but who asked me not to say. Beez summed it up well. He is the perfect fit with no risk. Anyone who thinks we wont take him cant read the trade play. Not only will we take Viney but you can bet we are pumping him for info on the other potentials.

Sure. I agree. Like others have said there is a reason GC are blustering about nominating Viney - but realistically who has a better hand potentiall for Caddy than us? They arent going to nominate him in case they bite the hand that could potentially arm them with a caddy trade that seals Tippett.

But people suggesting we let Viney go to GC for two years and then get him back is what Im responding to. Could you imagine that? Honestly...

Rumour is that Gold Coast recruiters are spending their days monitoring this forum to work out what the Demons will really do...

Then theyll end up totally confused like me . Probably a good result !!

I was there last year when Jack Viney dominated in the Oakleigh Chargers midfield (which included Toby Greene) in the 2011 TAC Cup Grand Final. I've seen him play a practice game and a couple of others for Casey Scorpions at VFL and I've recently re-watched his two games for Vic Metro in the Under 18 Championships. 

I not only endorse what Ben-Hur says about him earlier in this thread; I'm actually convinced that he's the best choice for us and I unreservedly consider him to be the # 1 pick in the draft. Despite his size, he is easily the toughest of hard nuts I've seen come through this system since the TAC Cup started in 1992 ... and, of course that is exactly what the Melbourne Football Club needs (along with plenty else ATM but Viney will make a great start). We all know it. The club knows it and the AFL, GWS and GCS know it.

You know what?

As entertaining as all of these pages might be, there are only a couple of alternatives and we supporters have no control over what might happen as the f/s scenario unfolds.

The way I see it, we will either reach some accommodation(s) with GWS and GCS that will see them refraining from exercising their respective rights over Viney or not. If we don't then it's likely we will use pick 3 and take Jack Viney with that selection leaving us with our two Scully compo selections at 4 & 13 and our second round pick @ 23 or whatever and our other picks which might also include FA compo and who knows what that might be? Pick 23 is an earlier selection than the one that landed Jack Darling at WCE. That being the case then it's possible that we'll still get a good player with this pick and we know we're getting a quality player who will be loyal to the club @ 3 in Viney.

If we do reach an accommodation with GWS and GCS then we're likely to use 23 to get Viney and the trade off will be pick 3 for Martin or Hogan in the mini draft. Those two are reasonably good chances of being equivalent to top 5 picks in the 2013 draft but who knows?

In the end, whatever will be will be and we're still well placed to draft some good people to the club over the next few months and I'm not going to get the proverbials in a knot worrying over this for the next month or so until the f/s picks are determined.

what ??

Talk about misreading /understanding things

We got 2 1st round picks for that overhyped/overpaid lying piece of mediocrity...Pretty fair in my thinking ( actually ridiculously fair ..lol )

Surely you mean the 5th in the GWS B&F.

hah ahahah ahaha

In the end, whatever will be will be and we're still well placed to draft some good people to the club over the next few months and I'm not going to get the proverbials in a knot worrying over this for the next month or so until the f/s picks are determined.

So many are doing what I can only think of as being the opposite of "shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic"

Debating over the size and carats of the diamonds that are about to come our way is somewhat amusing really.

What a terrible position to be in :wacko:

• Like 1

i havent read all the post but id be surprised if this hasnt been said already...

there is no chance in hell we will use pick 3 on viney, that would be a complete waste of a pick...if the GC do nominate him, then its simple trade pick 3 for a player or to gws in the mini draft for hogan or martin then viney will automatically be our 2nd round selection as pick 4 and 13 r compo picks...... im sure the clubs not that stupid to waste pick 3 like that!!!!!!!!!!

or if the GC nominate him does that mean we cant trade pick 3?...

and the gws would not knock back pick 3 for a mini draft selection just to make us use pick 3 on viney..

was just corrected with how it works on bigfooty, thought my thoery was to good to be true!!!

there is no chance in hell we will use pick 3 on viney, that would be a complete waste of a pick...if the GC do nominate him, then its simple trade pick 3 for a player or to gws in the mini draft for hogan or martin then viney will automatically be our 2nd round selection as pick 4 and 13 r compo picks...... im sure the clubs not that stupid to waste pick 3 like that!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't work that way, f/s nominations happen before the trade period, GWS/GC bid on what their willing to take him with and we respond. If one of them says, we rate him as a first round pick (1 or 2) then we HAVE to take him with 3 or we pass and he goes to GWS or GC. They must risk that we want him that badly and that we're willing to part win pick 3, if we aren't then they will have paid overs for him.

Sunday footy show was fairly strong in saying Caddy wanted to go to Collingwood. And the deal being proposed is 3 ways - Caddy to Pies, Tippett to Gold Coast and Brown and maybe pick to Adelaide.

Tippett would be far more highly rated by GC than our pick 13.

True but with Tarrant retiring and the Collingwood midfield already in great nick that trade makes no sense from a Collingwood point of view. Giving up a needed defender for another midfielder? Highly doubt that would happen.

• Like 1