WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JACK VINEY

einstein251

Why won't Gold Coast or GWS bid on Daniher? Isn't he the next big thing.

Oh and remember, Viney doesn't have to be the 3rd best player in the draft for us to take him at 3, just the 4th best ;)

that's exactly right, for GC he has to be 2nd best but 4th for us - and his value to us is greater than it for anyone else due to the sentimental factors, culture/attitude factor and the fact he is already ingratiated with the club. So even if his true value is a 6 or 7 he is clearly well worth the use of pick 4 for us.. but again I don't think anyone here is debating this point and i'd be very surprised if anyone at the club is

Can someone please wake me up when this is all over and Viney is on our list?

Struggling...to keep......my..eyes..........open.

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

i'm only slightly embarassed to admit this is my 15th post today in this thread, and i have not posted in any other threads. I find it fascinating as a topic, if we pull this off and get him at 26, we effectively secure pick 3,4 and (arguably) 5 in the one draft. That will be one of the greatest draft pillages in history and could really set us up. Add to that the fact that one of those players is EXACTLY what we need as a true red-and-blue blood, with his former-captain Dad actually in the coaching staff and nothing but praise for the kid's character, leadership and general hard attitude. This draft could 'right the ship' that has gone off course with the disappointment of Morton, Scully and Jurrah, whom we all expected to form a key role in our resurgence as a club. Make no mistake, this is big business for the MFC.

Edited by Curry & Beer
  • Like 4

i'm only slightly embarassed to admit this is my 15th post today in this thread, and i have not posted in any other threads. I find it fascinating as a topic, if we pull this off and get him at 26, we effectively secure pick 3,4 and (arguably) 5 in the one draft. That will be one of the greatest draft pillages in history and could really set us up. Add to that the fact that one of those players is EXACTLY what we need as a true red-and-blue blood, with his former-captain Dad actually in the coaching staff and nothing but praise for the kid's character, leadership and general hard attitude. This draft could 'right the ship' that has gone off course with the disappointment of Morton, Scully and Jurrah, whom we all expected to form a key role in our resurgence as a club. Make no mistake, this is big business for the MFC.

Make no mistake I am extremely excited about that prospect but I am now so exhausted of this thread from reading everyones arguments go around and around in circles. Now i will just have to wait and see what happens as I am going on a self imposed hibernation from topic until after draft day.

See ya'll when I wake up, hopefully we have snagged the young fellar with our later pick if not i hope we snag him anyways.

Good night, this bears going to his cave.

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As

For the record, I believe that any chance of snaring pick 5 went out the window the moment Byrnes signed on.

That being said, I agree with this post pretty much 100%. He is what we want and need at the club and whether we pay over or under for him, we should grab him. Also, the intrigue surrounding the pick is fascinating. No FS pick has ever been taken with a top 10 pick before. We could make history here.

For the record, I believe that any chance of snaring pick 5 went out the window the moment Byrnes signed on.

That being said, I agree with this post pretty much 100%. He is what we want and need at the club and whether we pay over or under for him, we should grab him. Also, the intrigue surrounding the pick is fascinating. No FS pick has ever been taken with a top 10 pick before. We could make history here.

I think he meant that by getting Jack in the second round we are getting picks 3, 4 and effectively 5 (Viney).

But yeah I agree with the essence of the post too.

I think he meant that by getting Jack in the second round we are getting picks 3, 4 and effectively 5 (Viney).

But yeah I agree with the essence of the post too.

No he was hoping for band 1 FA compensation which could have possibly been pick 5

In quick succession that's now three public statements. All of which could be used as defence against any draft rigging accusations.

One from Jack, one from Suns recruiter and one from Todd

Has a deal been done?

Or am I getting neurotic and reading too much into it?

FFS bring on monday

That was certainly the impression that I got. Surely, media interviews have nothing to do with the drafting process. It sounded like MFC (and potentially GC) covering themselves for any draft tampering claims.

Friday I have Monday on my mind.

• Like 1

Assuming his quotes cited in the HUN are accurate (a big assumption), I'm not quite sure who he thinks he is...

No-one is bigger than the club. No-one. This talk of making us regret not taking him at 3, even if orchestrated, is really daft on his part and whoever is advising him.

All in favour of Jack Viney coming to the MFC, but his comments are well out of line.

Edited by P_Man

Jack's comments just add credence to the MFC story that we are genuinely considering not picking him at 3 if we don't think he's worth it. If Jack takes that seriously, then we're a bigger chance of Gold Coast and GWS doing the same. And if they think we're crazy enough to let the club slip and don't rate him in the top two then we're one step closer to getting him in the second round. I know there has been pages and pages about cloke and dagger dealings with the two expansion teams to encourage them not to nominate Jack but I don't think this is happening. Our strategy from day 1 has been simple - take every natural opportunity the media provides to give the impression we're genuinely weighing up Jack's value and furthermore suggest that there is a chance (albeit slim) that we'll pass on Jack if the others nominate him. All we need to do is create enough doubt in the minds of two clubs and he'll slide to the second round. The fact that supporters on this forum are unsure adds to the intended atmosphere of uncertainty. Harrington, Neeld, Schwab, T Viney and J Viney have all answered questions in the media that stress that Jack to Melbourne is not a done deal. Will it be enough to scare GC and GWS? I'm not sure but the only real problem that I can see is that Jack is so damn good that GC or GWS would be happy taking him in the top two and if that's the case, grabbing him at pick 3 will indeed be a steal.

People need to relax. Jack will be at Melbourne. It's just a simple matter of whether it's pick 3 or pick 26. But seriously, continue as you are - bombard footy forums and social media sites with hysteria about Jack Viney - it all adds to the carefully constructed atmosphere of uncertainty.

• Like 8

This thread just gives strength to TGR's reference to Strawberry Fields.

How is that?

Assuming his quotes cited in the HUN are accurate (a big assumption), I'm not quite sure who he thinks he is...

No-one is bigger than the club. No-one. This talk of making us regret not taking him at 3, even if orchestrated, is really daft on his part and whoever is advising him.

All in favour of Jack Viney coming to the MFC, but his comments are well out of line.

No, it wasn't.

He was asked a question and he is not going to say 'I don't know how I will go at another club' like a weak pissant.

He has a chance to taken at Pick 2 in the ND and if a club has enough faith to take him there - he is not about to give some weak BS about not wanting to leave the state like some think he should say on here.

• Like 1

People need to relax. Jack will be at Melbourne. It's just a simple matter of whether it's pick 3 or pick 26. But seriously, continue as you are - bombard footy forums and social media sites with hysteria about Jack Viney - it all adds to the carefully constructed atmosphere of uncertainty.

Hope this is the case. Recent murmurings are odd/poorly acted etc.

We'll know soon enough

I'm not doubting for a moment that we'll use Pick 3 for Viney. I'm doubting the efficacy of these "mind games", if that's the point of the comments. There seems to be a real underestimation of the nous of GC & GWS recruiters.

Anyhow, see how it pans out. Looking forward to when this is over.

• Like 1

Man in Black: All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.

Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You've made your decision then?

Vizzini: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Vizzini: Wait till I get going! Now, where was I?

Man in Black: Australia.

Vizzini: Yes, Australia. And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You're just stalling now.

Vizzini: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work.

Vizzini: IT HAS WORKED! YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHERE THE POISON IS!

Man in Black: Then make your choice.

Vizzini: I will, and I choose - What in the world can that be?

Man in Black: [Vizzini gestures up and away from the table. Roberts looks. Vizzini swaps the goblets]

Man in Black: What? Where? I don't see anything.

Vizzini: Well, I- I could have sworn I saw something. No matter. First, let's drink. Me from my glass, and you from yours.

Man in Black, Vizzini: [Vizzini and the Man in Black drink]

Man in Black: You guessed wrong.

Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

Vizzini: [Vizzini stops suddenly, his smile frozen on his face and falls to the ground dead]

Buttercup: And to think, all that time it was your cup that was poisoned.

Man in Black: They were both poisoned. I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

Man in Black: All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.

Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You've made your decision then?

Vizzini: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Vizzini: Wait till I get going! Now, where was I?

Man in Black: Australia.

Vizzini: Yes, Australia. And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You're just stalling now.

Vizzini: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work.

Vizzini: IT HAS WORKED! YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHERE THE POISON IS!

Man in Black: Then make your choice.

Vizzini: I will, and I choose - What in the world can that be?

Man in Black: [Vizzini gestures up and away from the table. Roberts looks. Vizzini swaps the goblets]

Man in Black: What? Where? I don't see anything.

Vizzini: Well, I- I could have sworn I saw something. No matter. First, let's drink. Me from my glass, and you from yours.

Man in Black, Vizzini: [Vizzini and the Man in Black drink]

Man in Black: You guessed wrong.

Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

Vizzini: [Vizzini stops suddenly, his smile frozen on his face and falls to the ground dead]

Buttercup: And to think, all that time it was your cup that was poisoned.

Man in Black: They were both poisoned. I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

tl;dr

Jokes!, very good

I would not pay $800.000 for a house valued at $600.000 - just because I really like it.

Similarly I would expect that our club wont pay out a pick #3 for a player who is ranked somewher around #8.

A club with some steel would let it be known that they will NOT be using #3 of Viney. If the Gold Coast want to let Viney do his apprenticeship with them (as Scully did with us) then lets have the balls to let them. If jack still loves us by late 2014 then he can nominate for the draft on a one year contract requirement. It would be a brave club that would risk that would take him then.

Jacks serious years will be 2015 forward - its a tough business - no big deal if he shapes up elsewhere.

Meanwhile we get the 3rd best pick in the imminent draft & Viney back in 18 months.

Call the bluff & MORE IMPORTANTLY dont allow the message that we are a weak club who geneflects to a bluff.

Get some steel MFC.

Hey Todd. That article [yesterday H/Sun] where your son faced down the club was professionally dumb. You & your kid get respect. Try giving it back.

Edited by Nineteen
  • Like 1

The thing that sucks here is that the father/son rule is intended to get kids to clubs where their fathers played.

It is designed such that clubs don't pay 'overs' for the kids of such players.

With pick 3, we should be able to snag a bullet proof 10 year player for this club irrespective of the 'father/son' rule.

That we may have to use pick 3 on Jack Viney makes a mockery of this rule.

But, if push comes to shove, we must select him.

He will captain this club one day. We're talking about a generationally important player here.

If GWS or the Suns force us to use pick 3 on him, I will hate them for eternity because he is rightfully ours and they are simply playing games against the intent of the system.

That said, we still have to pick him. Our new culture must have integrity, even if other clubs lack it.

• Like 9

I would not pay $800.000 for a house valued at $600.000 - just because I really like it.

Similarly I would expect that our club wont pay out a pick #3 for a player who is ranked somewher around #8.

A club with some steel would let it be known that they will NOT be using #3 of Viney. If the Gold Coast want to let Viney do his apprenticeship with them (as Scully did with us) then lets have the balls to let them. If jack still loves us by late 2014 then he can nominate for the draft on a one year contract requirement. It would be a brave club that would risk that would take him then.

Jacks serious years will be 2015 forward - its a tough business - no big deal if he shapes up elsewhere.

Meanwhile we get the 3rd best pick in the imminent draft & Viney back in 18 months.

Call the bluff & MORE IMPORTANTLY dont allow the message that we are a weak club who geneflects to a bluff.

Get some steel MFC.

Hey Todd. That article [yesterday H/Sun] where your son faced down the club was professionally dumb. You & your kid get respect. Try giving it back.

When was the last draft in which the rankings afforded but 'Draft Experts'and the clubs themselves held firm?

There is not a single year in which the top 5 players drafted turned out to the the top 5 players immemorial.

• Like 1

The thing that sucks here is that the father/son rule is intended to get kids to clubs where their fathers played.

With pick 3, we should be able to snag a bullet proof 10 year player for this club irrespective of the 'father/son' rule.

But, if push comes to shove, we must select him.

He will captain this club one day. We're talking about a generationally important player here.

If GWS or the Suns force us to use pick 3 on him, I will hate them for eternity because he is rightfully ours and they are simply playing games against the intent of the system.

That said, we still have to pick him. Our new culture must have integrity, even if other clubs lack it.

nice post, sums up the situation in a nut shell.

We must pick Viney

I think you're thinking of the old version of the F/S rule.

The new F/S rule is designed so that clubs don't pay "unders" for a F/S selection (see Geelong as evidence of that practice).

I think you're thinking of the old version of the F/S rule.

The new F/S rule is designed so that clubs don't pay "unders" for a F/S selection (see Geelong as evidence of that practice).

exactly what I was going to say. The way it works now is that the club still gets their player but they pay market, or just under market value for him. I think it's fair.