Morton being looked at by other clubs

dees189227

I posted what's below in 'The Trade Thread'. Reckon unless he can get back to some of his 08/09 form then we should look at this.

Morton & our 2nd round pick to Port for Jasper McMillan-Pittard

Pittards a good running defender who can hit a target which as we saw last night we have trouble doing. If anyone's seen any interviews with Pittard you'd notice he's made reference to having trouble settling in Adelaide and would one day like to head back to Victoria.

And on the flip side for Port, they have a good record with recycled players (Rodan, Schultz etc).

That's the trade I'm already looking for!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't understand how a player can be an absolute gun midfielder with good clean skills as an under age player to complete garbage as an AFL player. This guy was highly regarded not only by Melbourne but a number of clubs when he was drafted and now he can't hit a target over 15m, fumbles, is the guy no good or has the club destroyed him by trying to making him a player that he will never be. This guy was voted the best player of the U18 carnival in a year that a lot of good midfielders were running around.

To me his size is the problem we want him to be that utility that can play back forward and in the middle, maybe we simplify his role and put him back in the midfield where as a junior he dominated, whether this is at Casey or with the seniors. To me he looks to be [censored] himself everytime he gets the footy, not scared of contact but scared of stuffing up.

A player practically in his 3rd year due to injuries, coming in having had an injury-interrupted preseason, sent to Casey to work on areas of his game, but prematurely forced back into the 1s only because of other injuries...

I think he is being judged too harshly.

HOLY SANTA CLAUS [censored]!!

He is a senior player FFS, stop making excuses for him!!

If hes not up to it, which he clearly is not, then he can leave.

Guest Thomo

That is the biggest problem IMO. What is his position?

We keep playing him in every position on the field, but never for long enough to allow him to get some consistency.

His best games have been on the wing, where he is able to push forward. Why the f' are we then playing him in the backline?

I wanted to see him take on Judd, but instead they threw him down back, where he actually didn't do a bad job defensively but was utterly useless offensively, which is where he excels.

I understand that we need to teach him to go the other way, but he is such a unique player with a unique set of skills, and currently we are wasting him. Play him on the wing every week from now until season's end, then make a decision.

Agree, I think Melbourne are trying to make him into something that he is not because of his height and the lack in quality talls. Let him play his natural game as a wingman and get comfortable before trying him in other areas.

I can't understand how a player can be an absolute gun midfielder with good clean skills as an under age player to complete garbage as an AFL player. This guy was highly regarded not only by Melbourne but a number of clubs when he was drafted and now he can't hit a target over 15m, fumbles, is the guy no good or has the club destroyed him by trying to making him a player that he will never be. This guy was voted the best player of the U18 carnival in a year that a lot of good midfielders were running around.

To me his size is the problem we want him to be that utility that can play back forward and in the middle, maybe we simplify his role and put him back in the midfield where as a junior he dominated, whether this is at Casey or with the seniors. To me he looks to be [censored] himself everytime he gets the footy, not scared of contact but scared of stuffing up.

We believed the wraps that came with him when he was drafted. "Elite kick", "Silky smooth", "Dominating at TAC level", etc. The year he dominated the TAC carnival he was in a fantastic WA team that dominated. He was able to receive a lot of ball in space and had time to execute. He was also very tall in that company and could mark well. The biggest problem with Morton, apart from his distaste for the physical contest, is his inability to dispose of the ball accurately unless he is out on his own and has time to balance himself. His kicking technique is flawed. There is a long ball drop and then he attempts to "shape" the kick using his foot. This technique has a high chance of failing under pressure situations and we see this with Cale regularly. Its very frustrating to watch. I can't see him correcting this and reckon we should trade him if we can get a good deal.

It makes me cry when I see some of the names taken after him in that draft. Two in particular, Rioli and Dangerfield. YEEESH!!!!

Edited by btdemon

Morton is a very talented player who is tragically down on form and confidence which is why he was playing at Casey. He needs to stay at Casey for 5 to 6 weeks playing the same role. The same goes for Bennell. Bringing him in underdone to a seniors team also down on form and confidence isn't a good plan and was only done due to injuries. With the return of Trengove, Scully, Bartram and possibly Davey, Morton needs Casey time. He needs to be given a role and coached to perform that role well each week. For mine he's the perfect wing/half forward player. He doesn't need to bash and crash as long as he's prepared to go when he's required to do so. The FD will not trade Morton unless a suitable trade can be done. Would I trade him for Rioli or Dangerfield. I can't so why worry about it. YEESH!!!

Suffered serious 10 week knee injury last year.

Disrupted preseason due to ruptured finger tendon.

Currently lacks confidence and the tank that seen him have the elite endurance we expect.

Lacks defensive pressure but if anyone thinks he is a tackle machine your dreaming. Purely outside player

A MUST keep he will come good has the skills we need to play and can dominate a wing

I think his weight gain is actually quite noticeable, looks a lot thicker through the middle and especially his thighs. Unfortunately still soft as butter and just too many unforced clangers.

Would trade but probably wouldn't get anything worth it. The club has to back themselves to develop his obvious potential. Kicking technique and a hunger to win the ball the obvious things that need to be instilled in him.

Played like an absolute Putz on Friday. Scared of contact, slow on decision making, stupid loopy short passes when standing too close to the man on the mark that then go wide of the target. Waste of good space on the ground that could be given to developing another up and comer.

I've had enough of watching Morton prove time and again that he's not up to AFL standard. Cale, it's time to [censored] or get off the pot and make way for someone else.

Morton , like his coach , has a limited time to argue his cause. Only one way to do it and that to play some decent footy at the level of his potential In doing this he needs to really put his body on the line. Its al lbefore him...other wisie he can go stand in line with the other cloggers.

Good teams realise the potential of their charges , astute ones figure out which ones arent going to realise that potential and off load them whilst others still feel theyre worth a punt.

Weve had a history of this.. we need to be cleverer.

I , for one hope Morton can step up. He has real ability...not everyone delivers on it...thats life.:mellow:

If he doesnt start soon...id trade him in a heartbeat.. Maybe GWs might be generous with a pick..who knows.

We have to make Melbourne a "Clogger Free Zone "

The coaches (plural) need to work out what they actually want from Morton.

He was drafted because he showed every sign of becoming the elite "link" player - finding space to be a target by foot and hand, then moving it on with quick & damaging & intelligent disposal, and with the tank to go and go all day. That's what stood out in the TAC Cup.

Somewhere along the line we seem to have decided we don't want an "outside" link player who's purely attacking. So we have for the past couple of years actively refused to play him in the role for which he was drafted, and to try to turn him into another sort of player, with grunt & defensive skills. Seriously, if that's really the sort of player we want, we should have drafted someone else. It's like "we're taking you at 4 because we like your skill set, but we want you to become another sort of player".

He's not Scully or Trengrove or McKenzie, he never will be. Sure, he needs to develop his defensive skills and get tougher in order to become a so-called "complete player". A little before Dermie was offering to help out with Newton on SEN on Saturday, he also said about Cale that what we need to do with him is to use his skills, let him be the runner & link person, the target for coming out of defence (and don't we need one of those at the moment), BUT at the same time let him know that he needs to develop his defensive skills and toughen up. Get that? Let him play to his strengths, WHILE developing the side of his game that's lacking. We, on the other hand, seem to have decided that we don't actually want what he's good at, we want him to become another sort of player who's all the things that he's NOT good at.

I would actually see it as a positive if he was picking up 20 or so effective positions by getting on his own, by running a tall opponent off his feet or by killing a smaller opponent in the air, even if they do look like "cheapies" because he's getting them outside on his own. Because THAT means that he's presenting as a TARGET for hard-pressed defenders. Let's face it, coming out of defence is one of our big problems this season. We have within our ranks a potential solution, but we don't use him because we want him to be more defensive before we'll let him do what he's actually damn good at. Yes, he'd have to be on a wing, and he'd have to be on someone who's not going to do too much damage going the other way. I know that would pizz off a lot on here because it's allowing him to be a "receiver", to be "outside" & rely on others to get it out to him. But that's what he's good at, that's what he showed in the TAC, that's why we drafted him. If we want him to play like an inside mid, or a tough uncompromising HBF, well it ain't gonna happen!

If the coaches really don't want to use him for what he's good at until he fixes his deficiencies, then there's already some on our list who do what he's not good at far better than he'll ever do (Evans & Nicholson to start with). We've turned him into a list-clogger by the way he's been used, and we should trade him to a club that will use him for what he's good at. And we can watch his career really take off, and wonder why he was never that good with us. The reason that other clubs would be interested in an underperforming player is that they'd be thinking they could use him differently and get a lot more out of him (Houli being a very relevant example, especially as Bomber supporters criticised him for similar reasons). And they'd probably be right.

I'd hope that before we do that, we'll give him a few games against good opposition on a wing and ask him to be the target for hard-pressed defenders and get into positions where they can expect to find him with a clearing kick under pressure. If he starts to do this well, then the opposition will wake up to it and he'll get crunched again and again so he'll have to harden up anyway. But FGS let's judge him on what he's good at and what we drafted him for in the first place, not on the worst parts of his game.

He was drafted because he showed every sign of becoming the elite "link" player - finding space to be a target by foot and hand, then moving it on with quick & damaging & intelligent disposal, and with the tank to go and go all day. That's what stood out in the TAC Cup.

Somewhere along the line we seem to have decided we don't want an "outside" link player who's purely attacking. So we have for the past couple of years actively refused to play him in the role for which he was drafted, and to try to turn him into another sort of player, with grunt & defensive skills. Seriously, if that's really the sort of player we want, we should have drafted someone else. It's like "we're taking you at 4 because we like your skill set, but we want you to become another sort of player".

He's not Scully or Trengrove or McKenzie, he never will be. Sure, he needs to develop his defensive skills and get tougher in order to become a so-called "complete player". A little before Dermie was offering to help out with Newton on SEN on Saturday, he also said about Cale that what we need to do with him is to use his skills, let him be the runner & link person, the target for coming out of defence (and don't we need one of those at the moment), BUT at the same time let him know that he needs to develop his defensive skills and toughen up. Get that? Let him play to his strengths, WHILE developing the side of his game that's lacking. We, on the other hand, seem to have decided that we don't actually want what he's good at, we want him to become another sort of player who's all the things that he's NOT good at.

I would actually see it as a positive if he was picking up 20 or so effective positions by getting on his own, by running a tall opponent off his feet or by killing a smaller opponent in the air, even if they do look like "cheapies" because he's getting them outside on his own. Because THAT means that he's presenting as a TARGET for hard-pressed defenders. Let's face it, coming out of defence is one of our big problems this season. We have within our ranks a potential solution, but we don't use him because we want him to be more defensive before we'll let him do what he's actually damn good at. Yes, he'd have to be on a wing, and he'd have to be on someone who's not going to do too much damage going the other way. I know that would pizz off a lot on here because it's allowing him to be a "receiver", to be "outside" & rely on others to get it out to him. But that's what he's good at, that's what he showed in the TAC, that's why we drafted him. If we want him to play like an inside mid, or a tough uncompromising HBF, well it ain't gonna happen!

If the coaches really don't want to use him for what he's good at until he fixes his deficiencies, then there's already some on our list who do what he's not good at far better than he'll ever do (Evans & Nicholson to start with). We've turned him into a list-clogger by the way he's been used, and we should trade him to a club that will use him for what he's good at. And we can watch his career really take off, and wonder why he was never that good with us. The reason that other clubs would be interested in an underperforming player is that they'd be thinking they could use him differently and get a lot more out of him (Houli being a very relevant example, especially as Bomber supporters criticised him for similar reasons). And they'd probably be right.

I'd hope that before we do that, we'll give him a few games against good opposition on a wing and ask him to be the target for hard-pressed defenders and get into positions where they can expect to find him with a clearing kick under pressure. If he starts to do this well, then the opposition will wake up to it and he'll get crunched again and again so he'll have to harden up anyway. But FGS let's judge him on what he's good at and what we drafted him for in the first place, not on the worst parts of his game.

LOL

C'mon admit it......you're his Mum right?

Guest Artie Bucco

Talking to my dad this evening - he thinks Cale could end up like a taller Dale Thomas.

Maligned early in his career for being a soft outside player, now a complete utility.

I think there might be some merit in that.

Honestly, I think the best ting to do with Morton is to play his as a forward. He's looking lost as a midfielder, and we really don't need him there. Put him at CHF and tell him to run his man around, take marks and kick goals. I'm pretty sure he can handle that. He's played the role before and been respectable, but the coaching panel have been determined to have him as a tall mobile wing. It's not working, so rather than ruin a talented young player, lets try changing things a little.

Morton , like his coach , has a limited time to argue his cause. Only one way to do it and that to play some decent footy at the level of his potential In doing this he needs to really put his body on the line. Its al lbefore him...other wisie he can go stand in line with the other cloggers.

Good teams realise the potential of their charges , astute ones figure out which ones arent going to realise that potential and off load them whilst others still feel theyre worth a punt.

Weve had a history of this.. we need to be cleverer.

I , for one hope Morton can step up. He has real ability...not everyone delivers on it...thats life.:mellow:

If he doesnt start soon...id trade him in a heartbeat.. Maybe GWs might be generous with a pick..who knows.

We have to make Melbourne a "Clogger Free Zone "

Was that Clogger, Or did you mean 'clog'. LoL. L

Lucky Dutchy's still not here. God van damm!

Played like an absolute Putz on Friday. Scared of contact, slow on decision making, stupid loopy short passes when standing too close to the man on the mark that then go wide of the target. Waste of good space on the ground that could be given to developing another up and comer.

I've had enough of watching Morton prove time and again that he's not up to AFL standard. Cale, it's time to [censored] or get off the pot and make way for someone else.

Hmmmn, Watts has put himself into the boxing ring to toughen up. What has Morton done for himself, a Manicure?

Talking to my dad this evening - he thinks Cale could end up like a taller Dale Thomas.

Maligned early in his career for being a soft outside player, now a complete utility.

I think there might be some merit in that.

Get real, absolute chalk and cheese at any comparable time of development

Iwonder if they had to line Goddard up at training ?? Doubt it.

Watts has always wanted ro be amongst the fray...just knew he had to get his head right and body a few kilos hewavier.. But always wanted it

Morton shows none of this

I reckon that's an excellent and logical argument, Akum.

There is an awkward truth that occasionally pops its head up. It runs along the lines that things just dont quite work out as you had imagined..

Cale was drafted for al lthe right reasons in all likelyhood. Unfortunately not every player blloms quite according to plan. Cale is an example of such.

Cale was drafted in 2007 debuted in 08..its now 011 Many are going to throw the time-homoured 'injurerd' card into the deck. This has a litte credibility but it cant explain really how slow Cale is to take the game to the next ( and required ) level. That, is purely a function of his mind.

Hes shaping up as a classic NQR...too good for VFL.. just average for AFL and not quite what we had in mind.

Still waiting for that break out game....still !!

Guest hangon007

Trade him to Gold Coast for one of the homesick boys, like Lynch.

Geez we were soooooo unlucky in last years draft ... only 1 pick away. I reckon this kid Lynch could be anything. Imagine if we were "lucky" enough to improve our picks last year ... geez we would have been laughing. :blink:

Is it confirmed that he is "homesick" or it that just a rumour?

Still waiting for that break out game....still !!

Those don't exist, Bub. I remember everyone creaming themselves a couple of years ago when Cale went toe to toe with Adam Goodes. I thought that was his "break-out game." Consistently good games are far more important than that elusive BOG.