• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Should we trade for some 26-27 year olds?

It is pretty clear that we have a big hole in our list in terms of older players. We have moved on Miller, Bruce and Junior. I am of the opinion that with a whole swag of good kids (and Viney coming soon) we can afford to move a few on for some bigger bodied players.

What would everybody's opinion be of say putting up Strauss, Maric and Jetta plus a some picks on to the table at seasons end to grab some older players. I think we can afford to do that and should. We have the list together we were hoping for but it is a few years off peaking, however we could bring this forward by adding 3 bigger-bodied seasoned players into the fold (pref 2 mid-rotation players and 1 forward).

As for the people who may think that Strauss, Maric and Jetta deserve more time to show there wares, I suggest them because they are young and for the afore mentioned reason would have some currency on the market. When combined with some picks we could land a couple of pretty good footballers IMO.

What are your thoughts?

No way. This would be contrary to the hard work we put in bottoming out. Our focus should be on maturing our potential not chasing NQRs in their late 20's

Strauss, Jetta and maric have no trade currency. If they are no good and dont work then we get rid of them. We want players who will be players when our young core quality mature and blossom. We only add the right older bodies when we are close to challenging. That is 2 to 3 years away. We consider then when we know what we want at that time

It is pretty clear that we have a big hole in our list in terms of older players. We have moved on Miller, Bruce and Junior. I am of the opinion that with a whole swag of good kids (and Viney coming soon) we can afford to move a few on for some bigger bodied players.

What would everybody's opinion be of say putting up Strauss, Maric and Jetta plus a some picks on to the table at seasons end to grab some older players. I think we can afford to do that and should. We have the list together we were hoping for but it is a few years off peaking, however we could bring this forward by adding 3 bigger-bodied seasoned players into the fold (pref 2 mid-rotation players and 1 forward).

As for the people who may think that Strauss, Maric and Jetta deserve more time to show there wares, I suggest them because they are young and for the afore mentioned reason would have some currency on the market. When combined with some picks we could land a couple of pretty good footballers IMO.

What are your thoughts?

So, in 4 years time when we should expect to be serious challengers, we will have half the team over 30 years old? Might win us 1 flag (if we're lucky), but the clear objective of the football club is to build a team of the decade. Your idea is a kneejerk reaction and will not happen so you better get this out of your head otherwise it's going to be along few years for you!

We don't need 26/27 year olds.

We need reliable 26/27 year olds. We need leaders.

Right now our best players are also our leaders and they are 22 and under.

So, if you can get Swan, fine.

But we don't need more NQR's that are not consistent and waiver under pressure.

It think the idea is for our current group of yuong kids to grow old together. Your suggestion while understandable in light of current performance would be going against the whole point of the 'rebuild' policy. Can't see getting anything of value from the suggested trades either.

Might win us 1 flag (if we're lucky),

Whilst I also dont agree, I will happily take that option.

It think the idea is for our current group of yuong kids to grow old together. Your suggestion while understandable in light of current performance would be going against the whole point of the 'rebuild' policy. Can't see getting anything of value from the suggested trades either.

x2

Whilst I also dont agree, I will happily take that option.

Sorry 99, not sure what you meant by this!

If we bottomed out, but then traded for ready made players and a current star, then I too would be happy to win "a" flag.

Fact is, we have been sold this "team of the decade" scenario, and recruited some of the best junior talent in the country, while getting rid of some of the older players that wont be around. Of course I want to see us win a flag, but I'm hoping for multiple flags.

A "mate" of mine who barracks for Carlton will be calling me in the next week or two, as he does at some stage every year, and sings Happy Birthday to me ([censored]!). As I keep reminding him though, look out when we win 1, becuase history shows, when we get 1, there are a few more up it's backside!

Sorry 99, not sure what you meant by this!

If we bottomed out, but then traded for ready made players and a current star, then I too would be happy to win "a" flag.

Fact is, we have been sold this "team of the decade" scenario, and recruited some of the best junior talent in the country, while getting rid of some of the older players that wont be around. Of course I want to see us win a flag, but I'm hoping for multiple flags.

A "mate" of mine who barracks for Carlton will be calling me in the next week or two, as he does at some stage every year, and sings Happy Birthday to me ([censored]!). As I keep reminding him though, look out when we win 1, becuase history shows, when we get 1, there are a few more up it's backside!

I am only stating that I also agree that we stick with the youth and build for the future. I was light-heartedly adding that if it meant we win even 1 premiership, then I will take that in a heartbeat.

We need a new coach... Geez, the crux of the problem changes daily!

We can solve the lack of 26-27 year old problem by sticking Warnock and Macdonald in the side. Will that solve anything? Keep that in mind, as they are the calibre of 27 year old we're likely to get if we persued some. The ones who would help our problems will be too hard to get hold of.

26/27 is probably getting a bit old for our purposes although at the end of this calendar year we will have (excluding Newton rookie) just 4 players on our list in the 24 - 26 age bracket.

If you factor a couple more 26+ players possibly coming off the list at seasons end then we start to have quite an exclusive senior group around the club. I agree with others that NQR players are pointless, we don't want a revolving door for older players not up to it but if we can get our hands on a 24-26 yr old to just bolster that in between group then that would be good IMO. As always the $1mill question is how? Good players in this age group cost the world and we would need to get a good player to make the whole exercise worth while. Given how much pressure our senior players are under atm I am not sure why a good player would even want to join us atm and it may not be worth the effort of stuffing our salary cap around just now which is something the club has carefully prepared for in a few years time when I expect them to pull the trigger.

We can solve the lack of 26-27 year old problem by sticking Warnock and Macdonald in the side. Will that solve anything? Keep that in mind, as they are the calibre of 27 year old we're likely to get if we persued some. The ones who would help our problems will be too hard to get hold of.

true, true.

Also, in order to get something to help us, you have to be prepared to let go of something in return in some cases.

If you're going to embark on a trading strategy, then the best types to target are the 21-23 year olds who feel they aren't getting the opportunities they want and hoping you get something of quality. Then at least, rather than getting a Macdonald or Warnock, you might get a Heath Scotland or a Shaun Grigg. Still hardly sounds worth the effort to me though. I think at this point the better option is to just back in the talent we have.

No way. This would be contrary to the hard work we put in bottoming out. Our focus should be on maturing our potential not chasing NQRs in their late 20's

Strauss, Jetta and maric have no trade currency. If they are no good and dont work then we get rid of them. We want players who will be players when our young core quality mature and blossom. We only add the right older bodies when we are close to challenging. That is 2 to 3 years away. We consider then when we know what we want at that time

This.

Edit: not just the bold bit - I just particularly liked that sentence

Edited by Tricky

We've made our bed , at this stage we should continue to lie in it .

We should trade aggressively when we are closer to our goal .

St.Kilda traded in Gerig and Hamill but in hindsight did so before the rest of the side was ready .

Any body notice that 26 yo that snuck in then ? :rolleyes:

Might win us 1 flag (if we're lucky), but the clear objective of the football club is to build a team of the decade.

1 will do me quite nicely thanks very much.

A good option would be to draft for a number of mature age recruits and ready made players from VFL/WAFL/SANFL etc.

Read somewhere recently that Melbourne, Richmond and 2 others were looking ahead to 'free agency' to get a marquis (my word) player. Wasn't sure what to make of it; still don't.

What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't go too hard for 26 - 27 Yr olds per se'. But I would look for some who want to come home. (see edit)

I think we have some who will be fringe at best, and our forwards are thin. > (Dunn, Newton, Petterd, Morton,) some may look to trades. Bate on 83 games, Dunn - 75, Morton too soon?

Our defence as well with so many good tall kids coming through, and with stable senior tall defenders, some may want to look elsewhere? (Warnock whilst a stable influence, is betwixed and between.)

One mature age player who may be keeping an eye on, would be a veteran list,,, may be useful, if he settles down. we don't have to look far.

Too soon to judge Jetta, Maric will need to go strong this Year to, 'Prove Something'!

With the arrival of Tapscott, he has put the hurry ups through players like Stauss. and adding to that is the great form of Nicholson and Evans, not to mention Bail.

So the press is on, but on the List.

Edit: my watchers would obviously be players like Boak, McKernan,,,, maybe some from GCSuns or GWS...

Shaun McKernan

#35 Adelaide Crows Age: 20yr 8mth Games: 6 Born: September 1, 1990 Height: 198cm Weight: 98kg Position: Defender, Forward

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-adelaide-crows--shaun-mckernan

Travis Boak

#10 Port Adelaide Power Age: 22yr 9mth Games: 74 Born: August 1, 1988 Height: 183cm Weight: 83kg

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-port-adelaide-power--travis-boak

Edited by dee-luded

What are your thoughts?

Based on that logic, let's trade bruce and miller back from their respective clubs and bring junior back out of retirement.

Based on that logic, let's trade bruce and miller back from their respective clubs and bring junior back out of retirement.

That's just a stupid comment.

We have a heap of babies and not many big bodied men on our list. Why would it be a stupid idea to have a look at shifting say 3 of the babies on (along with a couple of picks) for a chance to trade for some harder, bigger footballers?

Common sense I would have thought.

We moved on Miller because he is a spud.

Junior I dissagreed with.

Bruce sucked up money and was a turnover merchant.

Doesn't mean that we shouldn't look to top up a little in the mid-older aged hard bodied players. I'm not talking about half the list here, just maybe 2 or 3.

Edited by Clay Sampson