How good is Jurrah going to get?

Curry & Beer

Everyone else in the comp came through with benefit of being part of elite junior sides with their coaches and facilities, not Jurrah, he didn't even put on a pair of boots until he was 17. He has played 20 games, including an extensive injury setback that slowed him down, and has kicked 50 goals. How many have ever even done that in their first 20? Furthermore he was in a shizen side most of the time! Every time he goes near it everyone just knows anything can happen, and even when he has a bad day he still manages a couple. Imagine when this side hits full gear and he is a 4th/5th/6th year player in his prime, with tons of quality ball headed at him every week. Already to me he looks like he will snag 60 this year easily, I reckon his first huge bag of 8 or more is going to happen any day now, possibly this week. so the question is: how good do you think he will eventually get? Who or what can stop him?

Edited by Curry & Beer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't take a belt in the head too well though .

Williams gave him 1 in the chops early during the pre-season game , quietened him suffiantly and Magrath dropped a knee on him soon after kicking his 5th on the weekend .

Didn't see much of it after that either .

Rest assured if they can't catch him legally , they'll make him pay with cheap shots .

Edited by Fork 'em

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_McAdam

I love LJ to death, and think he has already reached great heights just by running out on the MCG with a Melbourne jumper on, especially from where he has come from.

However, I'm trying like mad to keep a lid on it, and wont let it go until I see him with 80 games and 200+ goals next to his name. And hope that we can sit back in 3 years time and comment about the smile on LJ's face when he accepts his premiership medal.

Don't underestimate the role that Austin plays onfield. I said it a couple of weeks ago, Aussie's presence seems to take LJ to a level where you just have to sit back in amazement. They have this amazing awareness of each other (note the chest mark on Sunday that Aussie took inside 50 when Jurrah flew in front of him).

The physical aspect that Fork mentioned is of some concern, but I think that'll be an area that the FD will work on. I loved watching him have many words to the Lions players, but he needs to realise that if he is going to add that component to his game, he'll need to expect some cheap physical shots in return.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_McAdam

I love LJ to death, and think he has already reached great heights just by running out on the MCG with a Melbourne jumper on, especially from where he has come from.

However, I'm trying like mad to keep a lid on it, and wont let it go until I see him with 80 games and 200+ goals next to his name. And hope that we can sit back in 3 years time and comment about the smile on LJ's face when he accepts his premiership medal.

Don't underestimate the role that Austin plays onfield. I said it a couple of weeks ago, Aussie's presence seems to take LJ to a level where you just have to sit back in amazement. They have this amazing awareness of each other (note the chest mark on Sunday that Aussie took inside 50 when Jurrah flew in front of him).

The physical aspect that Fork mentioned is of some concern, but I think that'll be an area that the FD will work on. I loved watching him have many words to the Lions players, but he needs to realise that if he is going to add that component to his game, he'll need to expect some cheap physical shots in return.

The Jurrahmirri effect, it is wonderful to behold

Everyone else in the comp came through with benefit of being part of elite junior sides with their coaches and facilities, not Jurrah, he didn't even put on a pair of boots until he was 17. He has played 22 games, including an extensive injury setback that slowed him down, and has kicked 50 goals. How many have ever even done that in their first 22? Furthermore he was in a shizen side most of the time! Every time he goes near it everyone just knows anything can happen, and even when he has a bad day he still manages a couple. Imagine when this side hits full gear and he is a 4th/5th/6th year player in his prime, with tons of quality ball headed at him every week. Already to me he looks like he will snag 60 this year easily, I reckon his first huge bag of 8 or more is going to happen any day now, possibly this week. so the question is: how good do you think he will eventually get? Who or what can stop him?

He's actually played only 20 games for his 50 goals. At 2.5 goals per game.

Still learning the game and it was good of Aussie to have a go at him on Sunday when he was caught out looking for the mark. Aussie told him next time to punch the ball from behind when unable to take the mark. (but not in as many words). He also needs an appetite to be harder at contested situations. He did manage 4 good tackles on Sunday and was awarded for a couple of them. That's a sign of good pressure up forward and it needs to continue and improve on a consistent basis.

A few here don't like Jurrah being labelled a star of our club. I found that out two years ago when I labelled him a star of our club after 9 games. Despite more no.24's being pressed onto the back of kids jumpers (no.48 back then) than any other number, they still don't believe it.

A few here don't like Jurrah being labelled a star of our club. I found that out two years ago when I labelled him a star of our club after 9 games. Despite more no.24's being pressed onto the back of kids jumpers (no.48 back then) than any other number, they still don't believe it.

Can we please have another semantical argument about what a 'star' is? Or an A-grader?

Can we please have another semantical argument about what a 'star' is? Or an A-grader?

i wouldnt give a man those labels until he consistently has a large influence on matches over several years

obviously Jurrah isn't there yet but I am almost certain he will be

haha

The other one that pisses me off is the over use of the word Elite. I hear the word Elite used so often by the football media these days that it its almost like they have forgotten about every other adjective or adverb!

player X has Y clearances per game, which puts him into the elite catogory for clearances

Player Y has elite kicking skills

player Z's running ability is elite

IMO the word Elite should be reserved to those who are in the top echelon of all aspects of the game (abletts, Judds etc).

/rant

B+ with all the tools to be A+ and a bit.

His best is A+ (not many in the league that get that grade), but his worst is D. If he can reduce the gap from his best and worst, he has the potential to make it as an A grader.

At what point can we confirm what level he is at? I'm thinking >100 games? That gives around 4 seasons to perform consistently at a certain level, allowing for a handful of games to be better/worse.

Jurrah is fantastic because I want to watch him play.

He doesn't play like a machine. For example: Judd is predictably good, the Jurrahcane is just great to watch.

Could be a disaster one day sublime the next.

You can see he loves playing.

He looks even better when he is on the run with Aussie at his side.

That will become one of the great partnerships in the AFL.

Maybe we need more partnerships like that in our team.

24 on my back this year!

(I love the fact we and our players are connecting with remote communities. Well done Dees.)

I think it will depend on injuries and his own attitude. In regards to the latter the quality of coaching and support from his team mates, particularly the "brothers", will be very important.

Credit to Jurrah and the coaches that he played a smarter, more disciplined and team orientated game against the Lions.

Spins and round abouts

Liam Jurrah - 20 games for his 50 goals (aged 22)

Jack Watts - 21 games for his 13 goals (aged 20)

Melb talls - 42 games for their 63 goals (average age 21)

Gumbleton - 22 games for his 22 goals (aged 22)

Hurley - 32 games for his 29 goals (aged 20)

Ess talls - 52 games for their 51 goals (average age 21)

Already to me he looks like he will snag 60 this year easily, I reckon his first huge bag of 8 or more is going to happen any day now, possibly this week.

I deadset thought it was happening last week. When he kicked his fifth in the first half I started imagining all the good media coverage the MFC would get after Jurrah kicks 10 (then Monday happened). Then he went to sleep. God I love him though. Forever burned on my mind is 09' against Fre when he went up to mark and missed, crashing to earth watching the pill, and with about 3 Freo players crowded over him trying to stop him he grabbed the ball (god knows how) and kicked a goal from on his back (god knows how).

That is why we love him as much as an A grader even though he isn't there yet, because there is very very few players who can do things like that, and even less that have the imagination and foresight to even try.

The physical aspect that Fork mentioned is of some concern, but I think that'll be an area that the FD will work on.

Because they're doing such a good job of that at the moment.

Think Watts, Bennell, Davey, Strauss and Jurrah

How good will Jurrah be? It will depend on the deliveries into him & the surrounding forwards ability to help him & each other out.

Yep as our midfield develops the delivery to our forwards will become better and more regular. It will make players like Jurrah look so much better.

His best is A+ (not many in the league that get that grade), but his worst is D.

Correct, but give me a D grade forward who will consistently kick 2 goals on a bad day and I'm happy.

His bad days are average to good days for many secondary forwards in the league.

His good days are as good as any forward in the competition.

When we finally stop being shizen, and he matures (especially mentally) I'm confident the gap between his sublime and average days will shrink significantly.

My one annoyance with him is his lack of forward pressure, although he was better on Sunday than he was against Hawthorn (where he was deplorable with his defensive pressure!). Having Aussie in the team, who loves that sort of thing, helps bring that side out of Liam too.