Felix

Melbourne

B: Luke Tapscott, James Frawley, Clint Bartram

HB: Jared Rivers, Colin Garland, Jamie Bennell

C: Colin Sylvia, Jack Grimes, Rohan Bail

HF: Austin Wonaeamirri, Stef Martin, Jack Trengove

F: Brad Green, Liam Jurrah, Jordan Gysberts

FOLL: Mark Jamar, Brent Moloney, Aaron Davey

I/C (from): Matthew Warnock, Nathan Jones, Jack Watts, Cale Morton, Lynden Dunn, Ricky Petterd, James Strauss

IN: Austin Wonaeamirri, Matthew Warnock, James Strauss, Cale Morton, Jordan Gysberts

OUT: Addam Maric, Neville Jetta

RUNNING WITH THE ODDS by the Oracle

Can the Melbourne Football Club recover from the humiliation it received from Hawthorn when it was comprehensively spanked in every facet of the game during the last half capitulation?

Demon supporters were seen leaving the MCG on Sunday evening tearing out their hair and grimacing in pain after such a pitiful performance. President Jim Stynes labelled the club's second-half as unacceptable and called for the leaders to step up and make a stand against the Brisbane Lions in the next game.

Now that things have settled down somewhat, the Demons must be comforted by the fact that they not only play host to the lowly Brisbane Lions but their opponent is heavily depleted without their skipper Jonathan Brown and a handful of others and playing at a venue where they have won just one of their past eight matches. However, I wouldn't draw too much comfort from this.

The Lions’ last two outings against the Demons might have been Mickey Mouse stuff but they still acquitted themselves very well. Back in Shanghai in October, a young Brisbane side led all day to be overrun by a singlehanded patch of brilliance from Liam Jurrah. During the NAB Challenge series in March Brisbane accounted for a lacklustre Melbourne rather easily.

I've been around for long enough to know that the results of these games don't deserve to get too much prominence but I simply cannot fathom how, on last week’s display, the bookies have Melbourne a favourite at $1.18 to wallop the Lions.

In many ways, Melbourne has certainly not been able to live up to the hype from before the pre season that suggested that the team was on the cusp of winning back the respect of the football world. That is exactly what was happening late last year when the club smashed the Sydney Swans and Brisbane and wee an outside chance of making the finals before bravely going down to the Hawks in Round 20. The club lost their last three matches of 2010 and have yet to win this season so they really are limping into this week’s encounter.

The Demon midfield has only been able to perform intermittently but there is a real problem with the forward line with the team scoring 11 and 12 goals respectively in the opening two games. We haven’t seen any big bags of goals from Lynden Dunn, Liam Jurrah, Brad Green or Jack Watts and the little men up forward have been unable to get among the goals. Things will have to change in these departments if the club is to secure its first win for the season on Sunday.

THE GAME Melbourne v Brisbane at The MCG - Sunday, 10 April 2011 at 1.10pm.

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Melbourne 18 wins Brisbane 10 wins

MCG Melbourne 3 Brisbane 2 wins

Since 2000 Melbourne 7 wins Brisbane 7 wins

The Coaches Bailey 2 wins Voss 1 win

MEDIA

TV Fox Sports1 Live at 1.00pm

RADIO ABC 774, 1116 SEN

THE BETTING Melbourne $1.18 Brisbane $4.90

THE LAST TIME THEY MET Melbourne 11.8.74 defeated Brisbane Lions 7.11.53 at The Gabba Round 19, 2011

Melbourne took the lead early and established a handy lead at half time on a humid Brisbane evening. With rains threatening the big lead at the main break looked as if it might be enough but, as usual with the Demons, there were a few heart flutters before they stumbled home with a late goal or two. Colin Sylvia was the catalyst for the Demons’ win and was best on ground.

THE TEAMS

MELBOURNE

Backs Luke Tapscott James Frawley Clint Bartram

Half backs Jared Rivers Colin Garland Jamie Bennell

Centreline Colin Sylvia Jack Grimes Rohan Bail

Half forwards Austin Wonaeamirri Stef Martin Jack Trengove

Forwards Jamie Brad Green Liam Jurrah Jordan Gysberts

Followers Mark Jamar Brent Moloney Aaron Davey

Interchange (from) Lynden Dunn Nathan Jones Cale Morton Ricky Petterd James Strauss Matthew Warnock Jack Watts

In Jordan Gysberts Cale Morton James Strauss Matthew Warnock Austin Wonaeamirri

Out Neville Jetta Addam Maric

BRISBANE

Backs Cheynee Stiller Daniel Merrett Jed Adcock

Half backs Ashley McGrath Joel Patfull Pearce Hanley

Centreline Jack Redden Simon Black Tom Rockliff

Half forwards Jesse Ryan Lester Luke Power

Forwards Todd Banfield Mitchell Clark James Polkinghorne

Followers Matthew Leuenberger Andrew Raines Daniel Rich

Interchange (from) Claye Beams Rohan Bewick Eamonn Buchanan Tom Collier Aaron Cornelius Broc McCauley Jared Polec

In Tom Collier Aaron Cornelius Jared Polec

Out

ONE WEEK AT A TIME

If Melbourne was disappointing last week then what about the struggling Lions? They copped a 78-point shellacking at the hands of the Western Bulldogs and without Brown, Brent Staker and the now departed Brendan Fevola they are struggling up forward as much as their hosts if not more.

Notwithstanding this they have a good mix of mature players and youth and all they need to do is show some enthusiasm for the win and they might well pull of a surprise in this game. Black, Power and Rich constitute a solid midfield that will worry the Demons’ one paced midfield although if Grimes starts in the middle, we could all be in for a surprise. He came to the club from Under 18 ranks as a midfielder and, in a brief hit out there in a practice game last year at Visy Park, he was simply sensational. A few of us at Demonland have been waiting for a good while to see him play there again and the move could be an inspirational one. Heaven knows, the Dees need some inspiration after last week.

I’m not going to argue with the bookies but I think the margin will be a lot closer than the posted odds suggest.

Melbourne by 3 points.

The correct ins and outs. Expect the bench will be Watts, Jones and Petterd with Morton the sub. Warnock only there for insurance on Garland.

I know it is just a published line up and not where they must play but interesting that Grimes is named in the pivot and not on a half back which is where we normally name him..... I wonder if this says something?

Also good luck to Dylan Grimes who makes his debut for the Tigers even though we know his heart beats true.

Grimes got a game in round 22 last year Jerry. Which is eerily identical to what his brother did...

Selectors have done the right thing here. Naming Martin at HF and not Watts, naming Grimes in the middle, and keeping Warnock's name in the mix as insurance for Garland - who I expect will play. This slight shake up at the very least communicates that no one player is a rock-solid guarantee for a position.

Disappointed that Bennell is given another chance and not Maric. Both were really ordinary last week but Maric had 1 quarter when the game was over.

Stoked to see Gysberts and Wonna. Our weakness at stoppages will be interesting to watch as this is best area of Gysbert's game. And Wonna is magnificent at helping keep the ball inside our 50 metre zone.

For mine, I would love the bench to be: Watts, Morton, Dunn and Petterd, but I reckon Jones will keep Dunn out.

Edited by Maldonboy38

My stab at the bench: Dunn, Watts, Petterd, Morton (sub)

As a sub, Morton doesnt even need to be 100% match fit if he only plays the last quarter and a half.

Third week in a row Warnock has been named on the bench isnt it?

I know many here are more than ready to pot Maric but reckon he is harshly treated. Came on against an avalanche and got 6 possies in a quarter. Reckon he deserved a few full games, he wasn't going that badly.

Jetta just had a bad game, the dropped mark aside, Rioli obliterated him early.

Good to see Gysberts and Wonna back and on the back of some good form. interesting they are named on the ground, whilst Morton is not, I assume to find form and fitness in the magoos.

If Grimes goes to the middle that will be very interesting. He has shown some ability to win clearances, something we desperately need.

Edited by Bay Riffin

The Lions team if anyone cares:

B: Jed Adcock (7), Daniel Merrett (21), Cheynee Stiller (32)

HB: Pearce Hanley (11), Joel Patfull (24), Ash McGrath (9)

C: Tom Rockliff (38), Simon Black (20), Jack Redden (30)

HF: Luke Power (6), Ryan Lester (35), Jesse O’Brien (34)

F: James Polkinghorne (31), Mitchell Clark (1), Todd Banfield (18)

Foll: Matthew Leuenberger (23), Andrew Raines (29), Daniel Rich (10)

Int from: Aaron Cornelius (44), Claye Beams (17), Rohan Bewick (43), Amon Buchanan (33), Tom Collier (22), Jared Polec (4), Broc McCauley (46)

IN: Aaron Cornelius (44), Tom Collier (22), Jared Polec (4)

Guest 36DD

Really feel for Jetta and Maric.

Maric was a standout in the Nab cup and reportedly lifted his intensity at training. Jetta was fantastic in the challenge match against the Lions.

Guess its good to have competition for spots and I do welcome back Aussie and Gysberts, just hope the two players dropped can get over the disappointment and bounce back soon.

The Lions team if anyone cares:

B: Jed Adcock (7), Daniel Merrett (21), Cheynee Stiller (32)

HB: Pearce Hanley (11), Joel Patfull (24), Ash McGrath (9)

C: Tom Rockliff (38), Simon Black (20), Jack Redden (30)

HF: Luke Power (6), Ryan Lester (35), Jesse O’Brien (34)

F: James Polkinghorne (31), Mitchell Clark (1), Todd Banfield (18)

Foll: Matthew Leuenberger (23), Andrew Raines (29), Daniel Rich (10)

Int from: Aaron Cornelius (44), Claye Beams (17), Rohan Bewick (43), Amon Buchanan (33), Tom Collier (22), Jared Polec (4), Broc McCauley (46)

IN: Aaron Cornelius (44), Tom Collier (22), Jared Polec (4)

Strong side, not going to be a easy hit out Sunday.

I'm hoping the final bench reads: Dunn, Watts, Petterd and Morton (sub).

Meaning...

IN: Gysberts, Wona, Morton

OUT: Jetta, Maric, Jones

Somehow can't see Jones getting dropped though, and Morton might need a run at Casey to pick up some touch.

edit: Crap, forgot about Petterd.

Edited by Doggo

Disappointed that Bennell is given another chance and not Maric. Both were really ordinary last week but Maric had 1 quarter when the game was over.

come off it, Maric has not played a good game for the club as yet while JB has played several, in round 1 he was in our best 3 or 4. Too many people on this site have a memory span of one week. I agree Maric is a bit stiff but naming Bennell as the bloke who should be torched for him is more than a bit unfair, it's not like JB is a senior player

good ins and outs... Gys, Cale and Ozzie, I feel much better about the side already

I think Maric may be the first, but certainly wont be the last player from a side dropped back a level after only getting limited game time as a sub. It cant be good for a player to only be playing 30-40 minutes on a weekend, it makes more sense to go to the VFL and get a good four quarter hitout.

My bench would be Petterd, Watts, Dunn and a very lucky Jones. Unlike last week's bench, I think all four could come on and have a genuine impact as sub, but Jones is less versatile IMO. My sub would be Dunn. I think Morton will get a run at Casey before he gets a call up for senior action.

Really feel for Jetta and Maric.

This is what competition for spots is all about. Maric put in the short steps in round one and when he got his opportunity again on Sunday did it again. Jetta make a regulation error that shifted the momentum of the whole game. He also was playing against someone first half weho left him for dead. Hopefully they both learn more of what is required at the top level.

We got smashed at the clearances and have brought in two players who had 23 clearances between them in the VFL last week.

As a sub, Morton doesnt even need to be 100% match fit if he only plays the last quarter and a half.

Third week in a row Warnock has been named on the bench isnt it?

Only one thing wrong your interchange three, they are all taller forwards.

As much as it greeves me I think the sub might be Jones with Morton at Casey.

I would actually have Dunn, Petterd, Jones and Morton the Sub with Watts at Casey.

But that will not happen

Dunn to Black

Jones to Power

Martin to Clark

Bennell/ Trengove to Rockliff

Beamer to Rich

Jamar needs to mix it up instead of the soft tap that is easily sharked. Belt a few fwd or to the wing - anything!

We got belted in the middle against this mob pre-season. In fact we have been belted in the middle every week! I hope the Gys can explode out of the middle.

And Wona to provide some fwd pressure and snag a few goals.

I think the best thing the match comittee has done with this weeks team is move Bennell down back and thrown Grimes in the guts. I only hope this is how they line up on sunday

Exactly my thoughts.

Petterd and Dunn give us enough flexibility up forward and Morton is the perfect player to come in on limited fitness and make a serious impact in the middle, up forward or off the half back line, so could easily replace Aussie (if he is struggling to run the game out), Dunn, Bennell, etc etc

I feel that the two outs so far in Jetta and Maric are "easy" outs, and by dropping Jones Bailey is sending a serious message. Jones, love his heart, was deplorable with his contested work last week and as a leader he has to set a better example. I'd give him a week off, or at the very least make him a sub.

This is what competition for spots is all about. Maric put in the short steps in round one and when he got his opportunity again on Sunday did it again. Jetta make a regulation error that shifted the momentum of the whole game. He also was playing against someone first half weho left him for dead. Hopefully they both learn more of what is required at the top level.

We got smashed at the clearances and have brought in two players who had 23 clearances between them in the VFL last week.

Absolutely agree and the changes we made had to be made.

I am not convinced by Maric or Jetta at AFL level.