Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Grimes

deemonkey

as much as it pains me to write this, he directly costs us goals every week from turnovers. I counted 6 or 7 this week. His low trajectory kicks are not suited to the backline and it's about time the coaching department realize he is best suited to the midfield. His kicks would be perfect lace out to our forwards but instead he brought the hawks back into the game directly. Unless he is moved, he will not progress as a player.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a direct result of the mindset of our group IMO. When we get a run on we go ok, which comes from something on field, it never seems to come direct from the start of a qtr.

EDIT: But absolute liability is wrong. Grimes is a gun, just doesn't know what is ahead of him. Bailey.

Edited by Demon Hill

He can't help it that whenever he gets the ball, all his team-mates decide to play a vertical game of dead fish. Our guys do not move from kick-ins. The criticism I do have is the mentality that it's okay to casually jog over and pick up the ball when you're on kick-in duties. When the opponents kick a behind, he should SPRINT to that bag of balls and pick it up, then SPRINT to the goal-square, at which point everyone else within 50 metres of him should SPRINT in unison, to provide some sort of options.

he had a bad game. when you have no options and no movement he is pressured to kick without thought. its poor coaching i reckon, move him up the ground to get confidence. you cant rip a player because he made a few mistakes, rip a player who consistently makes mistakes, i.e dean bailey.(not that he was a good player) bring in todd viney already!

as much as it pains me to write this, he directly costs us goals every week from turnovers. I counted 6 or 7 this week. His low trajectory kicks are not suited to the backline and it's about time the coaching department realize he is best suited to the midfield. His kicks would be perfect lace out to our forwards but instead he brought the hawks back into the game directly. Unless he is moved, he will not progress as a player.

What absolutely crap.

Grimes is an amazing young player, who has to play in a defence under rediculous pressure. We had 43 inside 50s conceded in the last HALF alone! I feel sorry for our defenders and our forwards. Our forwards get no opportunities and our defence is constantly put under pressure from a midfield that can't stop conceding inside 50s

There is only one reason for our shiteness. our midfield. Full stop.

Guest Guy Rigoni

Played a horrible game this week, easily amongst the worst. Really needs a move into the midfield because his game has not progressed at all.

Although tonight just wasn't his night, had a few brain fades and gave away stupid freekicks which is not like Jack at all.

His decision making is slower than Brad Miller. He will get better eventually (I hope) but those that still believe he is in our top 6 need to re-assess.

The thing is, the midfield is crap and is getting mauled, so the opposition gets the inside 50s, putting extra pressure on the backline. Grimes is there, but he has no one to pass to within an effective range or in a good position. The gameplan out of the backline is based on maintaining possession until you get a run out, which is very, very basic. Most clubs do it. But the midfielders don't present well enough, and so we find out half-forwards leading up into the back flank, and we're losing in the air so it just goes back into the forward line.

Grimes is just not being provided with a clean passive possession out of the backline, because no one is presenting.

And how kick-ins are a joke. Everyone is scared to present out of fear of error. That displays lack of leadership.

Edited by Cudi_420

I womder what Rhino Richards now says about my comments on Jack Grimes.

Edited by jayceebee31

he had a bad game. when you have no options and no movement he is pressured to kick without thought. its poor coaching i reckon, move him up the ground to get confidence. you cant rip a player because he made a few mistakes, rip a player who consistently makes mistakes, i.e dean bailey.(not that he was a good player) bring in todd viney already!

[/quot

If you regard bad disposal and turnovers as mistakes, he is very consistent at both.

don't let this guy off by saying he has no moving targets.......he does. he does, but time after time he picks the wrong option. he was horrible tonight and his only excuse is he's only played 28 games. he let tackles go, he pulled out of marking contests, he failed to hit a team mate.....he was awful. don't make excuses.

Colin Garland is a lightweight.....soft.

both these guys should be ashamed that a bloke like Luke tapscott showed them up in the hardness department, in skills, in defense. i hope he doesn't catch what they've got.

To call someone an absolute liability in their 28th match is an absolute joke.

Yes, his kicking is sometimes terrible but it's the ones under no pressure that get to me, because 9 out of 10 bad kicks by Grimes is the direct result of having NOBODY to kick to.

It looks better when Tapscott does it because he can bomb it 70m and get it further out from goal, but the result is still the same.

I don't normally sit behind the goals but I did today, and I saw exactly what Grimes sees when he is kicking the ball.... shite all to kick to.

Of course the job of a defender these days is partly to be able to clear opposition zones, but that is always made easier when your midfielders are moving and giving you targets.

Edited by Jaded

His decision making is slower than Brad Miller. He will get better eventually (I hope) but those that still believe he is in our top 6 need to re-assess.

you have hit the nail right on the head!!1 he is far too slow to move the ball on from both kick ins and in general play

he had a howler tonight but he was not on his own

He did not have a good game today but to say he is a liability today is being nice to the rest of the team today as most were in the same boat. Grimes plays too loose and is not a great spot up kick. Our midfield is sh1te and we need a hard player who can carry the ball. I would be moving him into the pivot where we need some hardness. I would move Trengove or Green to halfback who are both good overhead, can read the play but are strong by foot.

Makes 1 or 2 absolute blunders a week as most others do. All other turnovers from Grimes kicks are because he is often responsible for trying to work it out of our defence through a packed zone with little or no movement from those in front of him.

And as someone mentioned earlier, we are painfully slow to take our kick ins, almost to the point where it seems deliberate, and even then after taking 30 seconds and letting the opposition set up their zone there is no movement and no options. Even Davey turned it over with the almost impossible task of trying to work it out of there a couple of times.

We played well in the first half and fell away badly in the second against a side that i consider capable of pushing the top four.

To be saying we are hopeless and Grimes is a liability is to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Harden up you pricks and stop acting like he is the reason we lost.

Grimes is not a liability. His ability to read the play, his run and his strength overhead make him a crucial player. It is important to note that he is a developing talent as today was only his 28th game.

But his kicking is not of a standard required for him to be creative with his disposal. Its simply too risky particularly when he goes short or back into the corridor in defence.

Keep it simple Jack and go down the line.

Huge fan of Grimesy, but i've never felt so relieved as i did today when Tapscott and Davey took over the kicking in duties from him.

You could see it really early in the game that it just wasn't going to be Jack's night. Hoping for an improved performance from him next week.

Huge fan of Grimesy, but i've never felt so relieved as i did today when Tapscott and Davey took over the kicking in duties from him.

You could see it really early in the game that it just wasn't going to be Jack's night. Hoping for an improved performance from him next week.

Is it just me? as I have thought for a long time that he is poor at the kick ins.

Also can any one tell me that Mcdonald would have been worse than Jack today!

It says a lot about our backman that a guy in his second game does a better job of it than the other

Five back man available to do the kick ins and we have to get a forward / centre player to do it.

IMO our inability to clear the ball at kick ins is easily our worst feature.

Until we improve this facit of our game we are going no where fast.

Edited by old dee